Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

i thought there were...and i thought they id'd the girl who says she had no idea her image was being used..but now that i think about it...the one picture i remember seeing in the article was her and a relative....

Well it's certainly a hoax. That much he do know. Just not who is at the center of it. Either way it was incredibly elaborate and had no real end game at its start though.... Crazy.

Are there pics together? Who is the girl in those?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what bugs me a little about this....

The press will seemingly report anything they are told and keep telling it over and over. They want a story and don't need to check anything. The girlfriend story, even the dead one isn't really a huge deal. It is sick but that's all. It's not like that guy that got arrested for bombing the Olympics in Salt Lake because a bunch of people were speculating. There have been other bad stories too like Lance Armstrong being a great hero. That crap went on for years. You don't even need to research that issue; you can tell he is a liar just by looking at him.

With Te'o though, the press really doesn't have much to lose.. It will blow over for them because they all cover for each other.

Here is what bugs me MOST about this.....

Almost every mock draft you see has the Bills taking Te'o at #8. The Bills DO have something to lose. A lot of $$$$$$ and another wasted pick. I wanted to believe this new regime was better than the old one but I guess not. They should have investigated this before deciding on Te'o. I suspect they will shy away from him now which only means they got lucky but why they had him pegged in the first place without discovering this major character flaw is amazing to me. Do you think Bellichick would have ever picked a guy like this?

Say whaaaaat?

I just sent that link to my wife to decipher. It's WAAAAY too soap opera for me to even begin to understand. I do like the angles that could happen in the near future.

A) This has already been initiated... The damage control angle, where Te'o gets ND to back him and they both claim hoax. This is a great angle, because if he is lying, then he also drags ND down with him.

B) Te'o is gay and this is all a big cover to hide his true lover. The Catholic university as well as his own and family's Mormon faith play a large role too, especially since his father is now either in on the coverup or is being used by his son unknowingly.

C) Te'o and his co conspirators made up the whole thing to enhance his position.

D) Te'o was hoaxed, he found out, and was blackmailed. this could tie into the gay angle.

I don't watch too much in the way of soap operas, but this is like a February Sweeps storyline here.

Why couldn't the guy just be a great linebacker that happens to like dudes? If he were gay and wanted to remain closeted couldn't he just get a girlfriend (a beard) that was really just a close friend? This is infinitely weirder and shows a kind of selfish self aggrandizement that could make this guy a toxic player. This costs him millions of dollars. No way we take this guy a 8. Kiper, I know you read this board, Mock 2 =no Manti for B-flo,

Almost every mock draft you see has the Bills taking Te'o at #8. The Bills DO have something to lose. A lot of $$$$$$ and another wasted pick. I wanted to believe this new regime was better than the old one but I guess not. They should have investigated this before deciding on Te'o. I suspect they will shy away from him now which only means they got lucky but why they had him pegged in the first place without discovering this major character flaw is amazing to me. Do you think Bellichick would have ever picked a guy like this?

What? First you call out the press for running with a story without investigating, then based on mock drafts (put out by the media) you treat it like it's set in stone that the Bills were going to take Te'o? Can you expand on your thought process a little here?

Here is what bugs me a little about this....

The press will seemingly report anything they are told and keep telling it over and over. They want a story and don't need to check anything. The girlfriend story, even the dead one isn't really a huge deal. It is sick but that's all. It's not like that guy that got arrested for bombing the Olympics in Salt Lake because a bunch of people were speculating. There have been other bad stories too like Lance Armstrong being a great hero. That crap went on for years. You don't even need to research that issue; you can tell he is a liar just by looking at him.

With Te'o though, the press really doesn't have much to lose.. It will blow over for them because they all cover for each other.

so a mock draft has the Bills taking Te'o and that means Nix is going to do exactly that.

I love the logic bro, love it.

i thought there were...and i thought they id'd the girl who says she had no idea her image was being used..but now that i think about it...the one picture i remember seeing in the article was her and a relative....

Some of the twitter photos were never posted online other than that twitter account.

the girl in the pics allegedly sent several to the guy that was at the center of this - the friend - holding up signs with letters on them, doing hand signals etc.... But claims to have never asked what the random letters on the sign meant.

That's incredibly weird.

What? First you call out the press for running with a story without investigating, then based on mock drafts (put out by the media) you treat it like it's set in stone that the Bills were going to take Te'o? Can you expand on your thought process a little here?

so a mock draft has the Bills taking Te'o and that means Nix is going to do exactly that.

I love the logic bro, love it.

It was a lot of the mock drafts, not just one. I guess MRW has a point that the Bills could be lying to the press about their interest in Te'o but Mel Kiper is generally seen as the top guy and he has probably learned over time how to interpret these conversations. With several mock drafts having us taking him, I have to believe that where there is smoke there is fire. Luckily for us I'd bet this fire got put out.

the only way this becomes remotely ok is if he turns out to be gay, and this is a cover up for a boyfriend. coming from a mormon family, playing a sport that is vehemetly anti-gay.

anything else is makes this guy a liar and a sociopath. if there is anybody on the coaching staff or in the AD that knows about this, there should be an NCAA sanction

I didn't think of the gay angle until people brought it up here. It's the only non-sociopathic explanation I can think of so far. Raymond Burr and his publicist apparently made up a fake wife and child who fake died in a fake plane crash to explain why he could never marry again and would stay single forever.

without knowing the details - i will say getting duped into a fake online relationship IS something that happens to kids today. it seems like they had real life interaction claimed though, so this would require the girl in the photos to be in on the hoax.

Bingo.

how the F can he claim to be "hoaxed" when he spent "hours" talking to her on the phone? W T F.

Bingo. And claimed to have vacationed in Hawaii.

Right, even if it started as a hoax, he lied to cover it up. He said he met her at Stanford, his father said all those things to the South Bend Tribune. It would be terrible if Teo knew about it and his father didn't and he let his father go out there and give all of those quotes that Teo himself knew not to be true.

The Dad angle is interesting to me. He claimed to have talked to her over the phone after she got released from Imaginary Hospital. Was Dad lying, or was there a female hoaxer? If so, who is she? If Dad was lying, this makes the twitter necro-beard angle pretty suspect. However, if Dad was duped, that's still very much in play.

The level of idiocy on this board never ceases to amaze me. None of you have ever had an online relationship? Add in the fact he's a Mormon & how can anyone doubt his innocence? In this country we are innocent until proven guilty.

Obvious troll is obvious.

The fact that he didn't fess up when caught is particularly annoying.

But I fail to see how it affects his ability to play linebacker in the NFL.

it's not like he was caught with an ounce of Bolivian marching powder or was slamming dog's heads against trees.

Two ways: 1.) Having a known sociopath on your roster is not good for team chemistry. 2.) The argument in favor of Te'o is that his physical skills aren't the best, but he's such an amazing leader and will definitely be the heart & soul of your defense, that'll make up for it. Te'o boosters frequently refer to the grandma/girlfriend death story to point out his strength of character. But if he made up the girlfriend, that shows not only an extreme lack of character, but the presence of some extremely unpleasant personality traits. And since it's public now, all of his other teammates will know this as well. It'll be very hard for him to be the team leader at that point.

Teo's statement. Sorry if it was posted earlier.

Te'o issued a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Bolded part is key. No acknowledgement of his prior claims to have met her in person at the Stanford game, or to have brought her with him to Hawaii. Te'o either lied in his earlier interviews or he's lying here.

It was a lot of the mock drafts, not just one. I guess MRW has a point that the Bills could be lying to the press about their interest in Te'o but Mel Kiper is generally seen as the top guy and he has probably learned over time how to interpret these conversations. With several mock drafts having us taking him, I have to believe that where there is smoke there is fire. Luckily for us I'd bet this fire got put out.

Since when are mock drafts based on what teams tell the press??? The Bills draft picks are rarely correctly predicted.

Kiper is only the most famous mock drafter, he's by no means the most accurate.

All the mocks parrot each other. The Bills don't contact Walter Football and tell him who they like in January lol

More to the point, I doubt any of the mock drafts are basing that pick on anything they've heard from the Bills. I'm not sure why you'd assume that they were. The Bills have a glaring need at LB, so it's kind of an obvious pick to slot in for the team. And besides, as this Te'o story shows, media outlets are very happy to run with a story that someone else reported, so having multiple mocks showing the Bills picking Te'o doesn't make it any more likely.

I just sent that link to my wife to decipher. It's WAAAAY too soap opera for me to even begin to understand. I do like the angles that could happen in the near future.

A) This has already been initiated... The damage control angle, where Te'o gets ND to back him and they both claim hoax. This is a great angle, because if he is lying, then he also drags ND down with him.

B) Te'o is gay and this is all a big cover to hide his true lover. The Catholic university as well as his own and family's Mormon faith play a large role too, especially since his father is now either in on the coverup or is being used by his son unknowingly.

C) Te'o and his co conspirators made up the whole thing to enhance his position.

D) Te'o was hoaxed, he found out, and was blackmailed. this could tie into the gay angle.

I don't watch too much in the way of soap operas, but this is like a February Sweeps storyline here.

or

E) He was the victim of a hoax. Couldn't that also be possibility?

Not sure why everyone finds the online relationship so hard to believe. And the kid doesn't need to be *stupid* to believe it was real, just naive...

Anyone watching the ND Press Conference?

or

Not sure why everyone finds the online relationship so hard to believe. And the kid doesn't need to be *stupid* to believe it was real, just naive...

I'd get the online hoax if he didn't vacation with her in Hawaii. Aren't people claiming that happened? I still don't know what the !@#$ is going in here but didn't he say that? I don't know. This is a mind !@#$.

or

No no no. First of all, hes talked openly about meeting her in person, which of course he never did. Also, even if he had and he really considered her his girlfriend, dont you think when she died if he would have gone to her funeral? Kinda seems something a boyfriend would do.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

if you believe that i have a cooler for sale.... :D

or

No no no. First of all, hes talked openly about meeting her in person, which of course he never did. Also, even if he had and he really considered her his girlfriend, dont you think when she died if he would have gone to her funeral? Kinda seems something a boyfriend would do.

exactly, or when she was in coma and fighting cancer, he would at least visit her in hospital, at least once?

And another of his tweets:

You wanna know what's weirder than Manti Teo making up a girlfriend then pretend killing her? Nothing.

Draft this guy now. He's awesome.

Can we please ban the word "kid" from this thread? He was a senior in college, living on his own for 4 years.

And another of his tweets:

You wanna know what's weirder than Manti Teo making up a girlfriend then pretend killing her? Nothing.

99% sure that isn't a verified account. I feel like I remember checking that.

if you believe that i have a cooler for sale.... :D

Ha :D

Missed the HI meeting part - though Swarbrick from ND is sort of explaining it. Guess we'll know more tomorrow when he speaks and takes questions.

Strange, strange, strange story no matter how this turns out!

Freaking. Bizarre.

I posted this on Facebook earlier: This is the most bizarre day I can think of since Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died on the same day.

Obama gun control press conference? Kucinich joining Fox News? Chip Kelly going to the NFL after all? And finally, Manti Te'o and the imaginary girlfriend.

This day couldn't get any weirder, could it?

(Edit: I thought I told Poojer -- I posted it, but I can't find where I thought I told him.)

Edited by TheFourHorsemen

Freaking. Bizarre.

I told Poojer this on Facebook earlier: This is the most bizarre day I can think of since Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died on the same day.

Obama gun control press conference? Kucinich joining Fox News? Chip Kelly going to the NFL after all? And finally, Manti Te'o and the imaginary girlfriend.

This day couldn't get any weirder, could it?

We can only hope!

I'd get the online hoax if he didn't vacation with her in Hawaii. Aren't people claiming that happened? I still don't know what the !@#$ is going in here but didn't he say that? I don't know. This is a mind !@#$.

Two possibilities explain that

1) he lied about really meeting his online gf cause he didnt want to admit he had an online gf he hadnt met cause that sounds super lame

2) the girl in the picture really is behind this and he met her using the fake name

And as a by the way - it's now rumored the guy had used this account for other fake relationships and it was opened in 2008. Teo claiming they met in 2009, right? Just some further info

Two possibilities explain that

1) he lied about really meeting his online gf cause he didnt want to admit he had an online gf he hadnt met cause that sounds super lame

2) the girl in the picture really is behind this and he met her using the fake name

And as a by the way - it's now rumored the guy had used this account for other fake relationships and it was opened in 2008. Teo claiming they met in 2009, right? Just some further info

When his "girlfrieid" died, Te'o just said forget it and didn't go to her funeral? Or did the hoax team also created a fake funeral for Te'o to attend?

Edited by syhuang

Among the 501 things about this that are hard to believe - Nobody who knew the girl in the picture (friend, family, friend of a friend, professor, cashier at the coffee shop she frequents....whoever) recognized her in any of these stories espn/cbs ran and said "hey she's not dead"?

It would be nice to hear some psychiatrists,psychologists,even those with psych majors reply to this thread. I have some background in Psych. I know a guy who also was caught lying about a fake Girlfriend showing off a fake pic of her to friends(one which he obtained from an unknowing real girls facebook page). My take is Mr. Teo is trying very hard to appear normal in his sexuality and hiding something completely abnormal, (attraction to dogs,kids,cartoon characters,or small aquatic plants) Or just gay and afraid to come out.

Might not make him a bad guy just struggling. Probably explains why he sucked so bad in his final most important game.Had to be hard to focus on playing knowing what was about to surface.

When his "girlfrieid" died, Te'o just said forget it and didn't go to her funneral? Or did the hoax team also created a fake funneral for Te'o to attend?

He had a game that day

If you were running the hoax you'd pick a day he'd have a game and tell him to play. Him trying to attend blows it all up.

He had a game that day

If you were running the hoax you'd pick a day he'd have a game and tell him to play. Him trying to attend blows it all up.

and never visit her grave afterward even once? how about when she was in coma and fighting cancer in hospital, he also never visit her once?

and never visit her grave afterward even once? how about when she was in coma and fighting cancer in hospital, he also never visit her once?

That could very well be why this came apart in the first place

Perhaps he was pushing to visit and that's why she died suddenly and he found out at the end of the semester when he tried? Just thinking out loud