Schefter: Nix Leaning Safe

The Avenger

ESPN just went through a list of 7 GMs around the league and Nix was the only one whose job was leaning safe according to Adam Schefter. In his opinion:

Out: AJ Smith SD, Gene Smith Jax, Tom Heckert Cle, Rod Graves Ari

Leaning Out: Scott Pioli KC, Mike Tannenbaum NYJ

Leaning Safe: Buddy Nix

While the above is just Schefter's opinion, the more I think about the poor personnel decisions Nix has made or tolerated under his regime I think it is time to go - I don't have a good feeling about his ability to engineer a rebuilding.....

ESPN just went through a list of 7 GMs around the league and Nix was the only one whose job was leaning safe according to Adam Schefter. In his opinion:

While the above is just Schefter's opinion, the more I think about the poor personnel decisions Nix has made or tolerated under his regime I think it is time to go - I don't have a good feeling about his ability to engineer a rebuilding.....

If true, this is very unfortunate news for the franchise.

I think Schefter's correct on Buddy - he'll stay, Chan will go.

While Fitz's play has made it clear (in retrospect) that Buddy has badly mishandled the QB position, he has to (and will) promise two things to Mr. Wilson to enable him to keep his job: 1) replace Chan, and 2) promise to pick a QB in the first round, or get one in free agency.

MANY rumors swirling and many of them contradicting. For instance there's a report out there now that Pioli might be safe.

Really the biggest takeaways is that after last year's relatively calm offseason with regard to the coaching/GM carousel that this year is guaranteed to be a mad frenzy.

As many as 10 head coaches and 7 GMs are on the hot seat.

This means that competition to fill these positions as well as assistant coaching positions will be very fierce.

With the assumed firing of at least Gailey, the Bills will step into a very competitive market for a new coaching staff.

Please define what constitutes bad drafting? CJ Spiller? Dareus? Gilmore? Glenn? Sure he missed a few. TJ Graham? Looks bad so far. Could have had Russell Wilson. But so could have every other team. I don't think he's a failure. It's more the hysteria of posters looking for any reason to stick ice picks in their ears.

PTR

I think Schefter's correct on Buddy - he'll stay, Chan will go.

While Fitz's play has made it clear (in retrospect) that Buddy has badly mishandled the QB position, he has to (and will) promise two things to Mr. Wilson to enable him to keep his job: 1) replace Chan, and 2) promise to pick a QB in the first round, or get one in free agency.

1) fitz was to be a FA and got a market deal. Not crazy

2) I get the impression he pictures a franchise qb coming in the first 32 picks. If true he's only passed on clausen, tebow, locker, wheeden, gabbert..... I think this year he sees some first round talent that will be available after the second pick (don't doubt he'd love cam, rg3 or luck but never had a chance) and will hopefully pull the trigger.

Please define what constitutes bad drafting? CJ Spiller? Dareus? Gilmore? Glenn? Sure he missed a few. TJ Graham? Looks bad so far. Could have had Russell Wilson. But so could have every other team. I don't think he's a failure. It's more the hysteria of posters looking for any reason to stick ice picks in their ears.

PTR

And switching defenses twice meant he spent the first two drafts trying to grab pieces that may not excel now. He had a hand in the switches but his players haven't been disastrous.

Looks like carringtons not a bad 3rd rounder either now.

I think nix has done a pretty good job so far we seem to have a lot of young talent. It's not his place to say who should start or who shouldn't that's what the coach is for. Yes we still need a middle lb and a number two receiver but that will probably happen this year we were horrible when he took over and it can't be all done in one year when u have that's my holes. If he brings in a new coach this year and they draft a qb and release fitz then upgrade wr and lb then I think we're looking much better for next year

PTR

I agree. There is a lot of hysteria on this board right now, and it's not edifying to read. I think Nix has made credible decisions, though not all have worked.

I agree. There is a lot of hysteria on this board right now, and it's not edifying to read. I think Nix has made credible decisions, though not all have worked.

Yup. The process is seemingly better than the results right now- there's certainly some dysfunction and he's made mistakes but the idea that he's a total failure is widely exaggerated.

If Nix is out they better have another GM ready immediately. I'm sorta ok with Nix staying but coaching staff has to go.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Polian come back if Nix goes...

He built them, they fell apart after him and if he could rebuild them again in an area he loves...

I think Nix has drafted some good players and brought in some good FAs, both marquee and under-the-radar. He has done a good job retaining some of our talented players. But he is also VP of Football Operations. His main responsibility is TEAM BUILDING. Solid player acquisition devoid of a general direction of the team does not make a good GM. If you are in Nix's position, knowing what a good player looks like should be second nature. He has done a terrible job of giving this team ANY identity whatsoever. He cannot defer this to Chan Gailey because Gailey is not that kind of administrator type of coach.

The strikes against Nix are well documented on this site. He should go or be re-assigned. He is not a terrible football man but he is not a front office leader, which is what we need most.

PTR

For starters, how about his entire first draft other than Spiller, Dareus (over AJ Green and others), A Williams, and TJ Graham over Wilson, Cousins, and several other WRs who have outperformed him? All those picks on defense and still one of the worst Defenses in the history of the league. Really, though, the unforgivable sin is his failure for three years running to even try to obtain a decent QB. He has proven that he is incapable of building a franchise in the modern NFL. I have seen enough.

Poor Scott Pioli. He built a strong and highly talented team and blew it all by putting a stooge in the driver's seat.

You're right. He's assembled some good talent. The Chiefs have 5 Pro Bowlers this year and 2 Pro Bowl alternates.

But like the Bills, the Chiefs made bad decisions on head coach and quarterback.

Yup. The process is seemingly better than the results right now- there's certainly some dysfunction and he's made mistakes but the idea that he's a total failure is widely exaggerated.

Just what would a total failure look like, then?

Just what would a total failure look like, then?

No Mario? No spiller? No Stevie resigning?

Gabbert or locker over dareus cause he was desperate for any qb?

Mistakes made for sure but I think people are forgetting how bad things could be when arguing it couldn't be worse with someone else.

He doesn't have a terrible philosophy but its lines up poorly with what's been in front of us. If he gets the right qb this year, imagine how differently we view him.

Edited by NoSaint

I think if Nix does go it may be more that he retires than is fired, and IMO Whaley is the next GM. So assuming that happens with a GM in waiting already in-house don't need to rush things. GM contracts typically expire May 1st, (after the draft)so you could leave Nix as the GM til May, then he retires or maybe he goes back to a part time scout job.

As was pointed out with all the GM positions open there's a good chance Whaley could get one of the openings. So if he doesn't leave or even get an interview, that would more make me believe come May 1st, DW will be the next GM. I know there's alot of people who don't want Nix running another draft, though even there DW may have more input than an assistant GM would normally have. But this could be the route things go in.

Listening to The Bills Round Table, on the pre-game show, they all were in agreement that there is a fair amount of talent on the team that would make it attractive for a new coach. They actually compared them to San Fran when Harborgh took over, they did add not as good, particularly with respect to the LB position. But they did see a somewhat similar situation. So that tends to support the position that Nix didn't do a terrible job.

That being said, overall they were split on whether Nix should stay or go. Most who wanted him gone pointed to the QB situation and how he handled it or didn't handle it for reason to get rid of him.

I may be in the minority on the board (at least of those who post), but I want the Bills to keep Buddy.

You aren't alone. I agree w/you, provided he will fire Gailey. Nix has done enough good things to stick around.

For starters, how about his entire first draft other than Spiller, Dareus (over AJ Green and others), A Williams, and TJ Graham over Wilson, Cousins, and several other WRs who have outperformed him? All those picks on defense and still one of the worst Defenses in the history of the league. Really, though, the unforgivable sin is his failure for three years running to even try to obtain a decent QB. He has proven that he is incapable of building a franchise in the modern NFL. I have seen enough.

Don't play that 20/20 hindsight game. Nix's reasons for drafting who he drafted were sound. And Dareus is a good player. Stop it.

I may be in the minority on the board (at least of those who post), but I want the Bills to keep Buddy.

I've always been on the idea that we should let Buddy have this offseason then hand it over to Whaley at the end of the offseason. But I won't hate whichever way it goes.

You aren't alone. I agree w/you, provided he will fire Gailey. Nix has done enough good things to stick around.

Don't play that 20/20 hindsight game. Nix's reasons for drafting who he drafted were sound. And Dareus is a good player. Stop it.

Unfortunately for Buddy, hindsight is the only way to evaluate draft day performance. Would you evaluate him based on where Kiper had his picks rated? It is incredible how many folks here defend the man who is responsible for bringing us such an awful product.

And Dareus is a good player.

Are you sure about that?

My thoughts exactly. I was initially ok keeping Nix as long as Gailey n company were gone but more I think about it I'm all for total house cleaning at this point. His drafting has been average at best

Poor Scott Pioli. He built a strong and highly talented team and blew it all by putting a stooge in the driver's seat.

I'm reading Pioli has a new 5 year contract on his desk that remains unsigned. Unfortunately for him he is defined by his poor choice of head coaches.

As for Buddy Nix, where do I begin? From the ineptitude of free agents like Cornell Green, and building a team of cast off waiver wire accumulations. No franchise QB (or even a young QB to be groomed as a starter) drafted and yet 3-4 teams recently drafted "non elite" QB and those teams are all in the playoffs. Andy Dalton, Bengals. Colin Kaepernick, 49ers. Russell Wilson, Seahawks. Christian Ponder, Vikings

3 years to finally find a decent LT. 3 years and 100 million dollars to find a decent pass rusher. STILL lacking decent LBers. No top WR to complement SJ on the other side. No TE that can stay healthy and be a force. when there have been a multitude of players the Bills could have selected the last 3 years if Nix had even the slightest clue of how those players would eventually turn out.

Trading away Marshawn Lynch for a 4th, a 1000 yard rusher who made the pro bowl this year. Letting Donte Whitner leave and he makes the pro bowl also. The defense sure could have used Poz this year as they are currently ranked worst in the NFL against the run.

Lets also not forget that the buck stops with Nix as he is ultimately responsible for the team, how it performs, the coaches, the assistants. Chan Gailey has been bad, his choice of DC's has been historically bad. the overall record 15-32.

If Buddy Nix has no insight into how Ponder, Kaepernick, Wilson, Dalton would turn out. Then how do you justify keeping him to pick your next QB? Buddy Nix has been inept at his job and keeping him is just prolonging the inevitable

Fire this jerkweed and hire someone who can identify talent properly.

I think he's gone with Chan.

I think he 's gone with Chan.

Edited by seq004

Unfortunately for Buddy, hindsight is the only way to evaluate draft day performance. Would you evaluate him based on where Kiper had his picks rated? It is incredible how many folks here defend the man who is responsible for bringing us such an awful product

Are you sure about that?

Nix has done a lot of good things. Simple as that. And I'm very sure about Dareus.

Edited by purple haze

Why?

2010 draft only has Spiller and Carrington doing any thing

2011 Dareus has potential the rest are poor to bust

2012 is promising but he wasted four picks on this draft already with 3 cuts and one trade for Graham, who I doubt will be any thing special in the NFL

I'm okay with Nix staying as an advisor to Whaley who takes over as GM. Bring in a hew HC, OC, and DC.

We should keep Nix to scout O-line bc that's the only thing he has improved.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports he is out

YESSSS!!!

Nix has done a lot of good things. Simple as that. And I'm very sure about Dareus.

you guys are nuts, go through his drafts and most of the picks are busts and is why we can't compete on the field.

Dareus sits in the middle of one of the poorest Run Defenses over the past two years...He has been a HUGE disappointment...I'm not sure how anyone could come to another conclusion...He's not a difference maker...At all...He certainly has potential...He shows flashes no question...But considering he was Drafted ahead of at least 5 players who are among the best in the NFL at their positions (AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Julio Jones, and Aldon Smith), I think it's safe to say Dareus has underachieved in a big, big way...That's not to say he can't turn it around if he gets back down in weight...But so far, not so good... B-)

Dareus sits in the middle of one of the poorest Run Defenses over the past two years...He has been a HUGE disappointment...I'm not sure how anyone could come to another conclusion...He's not a difference maker...At all...He certainly has potential...He shows flashes no question...But considering he was Drafted ahead of at least 5 players who are among the best in the NFL at their positions (AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Julio Jones, and Aldon Smith), I think it's safe to say Dareus has underachieved in a big, big way...That's not to say he can't turn it around if he gets back down in weight...But so far, not so good... B-)

Two of those play in a 34 and the other is a corner that gets extra attention for his return game so..... There's that too. Although dareus was also drafted to play in a 34.

A probowl WR would be nice.

I think dareus gets his head square and weight down. First full nfl off season, first time with real cash all offseason both catch big guys sometimes, plus his first time in a 43, the brother stuff.... No linebackers behind him - remind me of a team stopping the run without some stud LBs?

We will see though.

Exactly which bad personnel moves is it that you speak of ?

Brought in via draft : CJ, Dareus, Gilmore, Brooks, C. Glenn, C Hairiston, Z. Sanders. Resigned F. Jackson, K. Williams, Stevie J, B. Scott, Signed FA : K. Urbik, E. Pears, S. Chandler, Rhinehardt, M. Williams, Anderson, Merriman, K. Moore.

If he can resign Byrd, Levetrie, Mckelvin, i'd say he's doing pretty good unless you can point out a lot of other bad moves he's made.

Bad moves: T. Jackson for V. Young, Thigpen, Fitz contract, B. Smith contract, maybe Kelsay contract but good leader & depth player, A.Williams but could be salvaged if moved to safety