Add TE to off-season needs...

Dragonborn10

Bills have had no use for a TE, other than for blocking, forever. Why look now? They wouldn't know what to do with a Tony G. or Jimmy G.

The Bills would be better off doing what they did back in the early 70's... drafting an OT and converting him to TE like Paul Seymour. If they want blocking, get a guy that wants to put his head down and do that? They aint gonna throw to em anyway. It aint like his gonna be a significant part of their passing offense. I mean, really, how many NFL teams would Chandler start on? Certainly not on any playoff teams.

There will be a new coach very soon. What makes you think TE won't be an important position for the new regime? If they retain Fitz TE will be important. For the record I would draft a TE and not go after Gates. They will probably need to bring in two new players if Chandler can't be ready by opening day.

There will be a new coach very soon. What makes you think TE won't be an important position for the new regime? If they retain Fitz TE will be important. For the record I would draft a TE and not go after Gates. They will probably need to bring in two new players if Chandler can't be ready by opening day.

Exactly. Gailey and this offense will be gone. Hopefully fitz too. Times are changing (hopefully our record will too), a good TE can really help a rookie QB out. Maybe we'll have both, although it'll be tough considering we need 6 new LBs.

Chandler has an ACL. He was average at best before the injury. I was hoping they would upgrade anyways and now they will have to. Take a run at Antonio Gates if San Diego cleans house?

hope they clean out Rivers too, I'm really he is just as bad as Fitz so they couldn't possible want him anymore ;)

Antonio Gates is done. Nor does he make sense for a team that can't "win now."

We will probably draft a receiving tight end; the question is when?

Chan doesn't believe in TEs

There will be a new coach very soon. What makes you think TE won't be an important position for the new regime? If they retain Fitz

Tight end has not been a Bills priority since the mid 90's. What makes you think a new regime (if that happens) would change that. Ralph views TE's like a scrub right guard.

Bills have had no use for a TE, other than for blocking, forever. Why look now? They wouldn't know what to do with a Tony G. or Jimmy G.

The Bills would be better off doing what they did back in the early 70's... drafting an OT and converting him to TE like Paul Seymour. If they want blocking, get a guy that wants to put his head down and do that? They aint gonna throw to em anyway. It aint like his gonna be a significant part of their passing offense. I mean, really, how many NFL teams would Chandler start on? Certainly not on any playoff teams.

hope they clean out Rivers too, I'm really he is just as bad as Fitz so they couldn't possible want him anymore ;)

As of just before I started typing this, Chandler was listed as our second-leading receiver.

Chan doesn't believe in TEs

Tight end has not been a Bills priority since the mid 90's. What makes you think a new regime (if that happens) would change that. Ralph views TE's like a scrub right guard.

Every good offense in the NFL uses a te. That's the NFL it would be nice if the Bills one day join that

As of just before I typed this, Chandler was our second-leading receiver.

Edited by jjmac

Every good offense in the NFL uses a te. That's the NFL it would be nice if the Bills one day join that

Tampa and Denver aren't much better, if at all, than Buffalo at tight end. That being said, we absolutely should grab an athletic receiving T.E. when possible.

Tampa and Denver aren't much better, if at all, than Buffalo at tight end. That being said, we absolutely should grab an athletic receiving T.E. when possible.

Now there will be a new thread as to how we missed out on Gronkowski!!!

Antonio Gates is done. Nor does he make sense for a team that can't "win now."

We will probably draft a receiving tight end; the question is when?

We will probably between 26th and 27th...

Edited by jboyst62

As of just before I typed this, Chandler was our second-leading receiver.

Unfortunately, I think this is more of a function of us not having a #2 WR (or a #1 for that matter)...and Fitz not being able to throw it far enough for a WR to catch it.

Edited by kas23

What?

TEs are a significant part of this offense. As Top 3 receiver and Chandler broke the record for TD reception by a TE for Buffalo.

Why wouldn't a 6-7 monster with decent speed, good hands , and good route running ability not start on a playoff Team?

Your post Makes zero sense.

could you not let facts get in the way of a good crusade? Geez, some people just don't get it.

As you can undoubtedly see by reading this thread, I'm not the only one who disputes the notion that Chan doesn't use tight ends. What I don't get is a so-called "crusade" based on something other than facts. If you are going to make a claim, base it on facts or don't make it at all.

As you can undoubtedly see by reading this thread, I'm not the only one who disputes the notion that Chan doesn't use tight ends. What I don't get is a so-called "crusade" based on something other than facts. If you are going to make a claim, base it on facts or don't make it at all.

You're just proving my point! You're not putting the crusade first and trying to use all these facts to show the reality of situation instead of just wildly flailing around with the rest of us. Stop your over reliance on reality and facts man and just start lynching everyone!

You're just proving my point! You're not putting the crusade first and trying to use all these facts to show the reality of situation instead of just wildly flailing around with the rest of us. Stop your over reliance on reality and facts man and just start lynching everyone!

In addition to my job, I I'm in a doctoral degree program. Facts are my life.

ACL tears are nothing these days. He'll be back for reg season.

It should be right on the fringe. Likely misses all of camp, most of the preseason.... If there's ANY hiccup, he will miss time in the regular season. Hiccups aren't rare, so he will be right on the edge.

3 or 4 catches a game is nice, but.....it's not really keying on the TE.

Chandler is solid, but he's slow. Not the modern athletic Gronk/Hernandez/Graham type. We need one of those too.

He may be slow but he is averaging more YPC than Stevie.

Like it or not, Belichick is on the fore of this. True dual-threat TEs that, more than just being an outlet / dump-off option, have all the skills of a WR only in a bigger body. LBs can't keep pace with them, CBs are too small to cover.

It's not just this defense that Hernandez and Gronk have destroyed. It's a tactical advantage that many teams just can't handle.

David Nelson is a de facto second TE. I'd say it can't hurt to pick up a guy like the ND TE, if he can be gotten in place or if he slips a bit into whatever round (I'm guessing early 2nd).

Biggest part of it, tho, is going to be a QB who can throw them the ball. But that's in another thread....

ACL tears are nothing these days. He'll be back for reg season.

As someone who just had ACL reconstruction, I can tell you that they are not "nothing these days." They drill into the two largest bones of your body and attach either a part of you that they cut from somewhere else (patella tendon or hamstring) or they got from a dead guy (probably less likely to work but less pain). They cannot just fix the ACL. They have to make a new one.

Yes, methods are better now, but it would be very aggressive for him to be back for the start of the regular season, although not impossible. Even athletes are not jogging often until months into the rehab. If he is able to make it next year then he will not be near 100% until well into the season if ever.

Edited by Arkady Renko

3 or 4 catches a game is nice, but.....it's not really keying on the TE.

Chandler is solid, but he's slow. Not the modern athletic Gronk/Hernandez/Graham type. We need one of those too.

Chandler is solid, but he has been a no-show for most of the 2nd half of the season (Just like last year). And Fitz stops finding him when he needs him.