Buddy Nix on WGR this morning

DPR4444

I only caught the tail end of the interview, so I hope someone heard more of and can fill in the context, but Buddy said this, and it sounds about as definite as these things get:

"We want to draft a good young quarterback. I don't want to.... I don't want to leave here without a franchise guy for the future in place."

I have no idea if the previous discussion was about specific guys, or Buddy's possible retirement, or whatever. But even Howard Simon and Jeremy White sounded a little stunned that Nix would be so definite in this statement.

Feel free to add any detail if you heard more of this than I did.

He sounded like a moron otherwise. He said this is the year to take the next step before the season started.. but today said that didn't mean making the playoffs. Is the next step 7 wins and still last in the division?

Also said that starting over with new coaching/schemes sets the team back for years. Jeremy white mentioned that both the Dolphins and Colts are much improved at 4-3 and under new regimes... he basically mumbled on and said well it can happen.. but usually doesn't.

He sounded like a moron otherwise. He said this is the year to take the next step before the season started.. but today said that didn't mean making the playoffs. Is the next step 7 wins and still last in the division?

Also said that starting over with new coaching/schemes sets the team back for years. Jeremy white mentioned that both the Dolphins and Colts are much improved at 4-3 and under new regimes... he basically mumbled on and said well it can happen.. but usually doesn't.

As far as schemes, didn't they just change the defensive scheme?

As far as coaches, I don't agree with the cliche. What really sets a team back years is not hiring the right guys to build a competitive team immediately. What sets you back isn't not sticking with your Rich Kotite decision for more years, it was the decision to hire the next Rich Kotite in the first place. Speaking of which, why go through 3 years, the coach's entire contract, before determining that maybe it'd be a good idea to look for a franchise QB?

Yeah, the only real information I got out of that interview was:

• They will be keeping our coaching staff in place next year
  • They will be drafting a franchise QB in the Round 1 or Round 2 in this years draft

Buddy Nix: "I am not leaving Buffalo without a Franchise QB in place". I was encouraged that they realize that they do not have a franchise QB in Fitz, and will be looking to bring one in.

As far as schemes, didn't they just change the defensive scheme?

As far as coaches, I don't agree with the cliche. What really sets a team back years is not hiring the right guys to build a competitive team immediately. What sets you back isn't not sticking with your Rich Kotite decision for more years, it was the decision to hire the next Rich Kotite in the first place. Speaking of which, why go through 3 years, the coach's entire contract, before determining that maybe it'd be a good idea to look for a franchise QB?

Exactly, makes no difference when you change up to someone who is equally inept and in over their head. It would be nice to get some young coaching talent.

I don't want a coach/GM who are on their way out to be the ones picking the of the future.

It's time for Nix to retire. Let Whalley take over and decide what he wants to do at HC. Then then Whalley and his chosen HC pick the QB of the future.

The team is a mess. We have an ownership situation that is in question because of the age/health of Ralph. We have an expiring lease. We have a 70+ year old scout as our GM. We have a Marketing guys as team president. We have a mediocre Offensive Coordinator/Country Bumkin as our HC. We have a career backup as our starting QB.

By hiring the right front office and coaching staff, a legitimate turn-around CAN be done in one season.

But that requires doing a lot of things right - most of which the Bills have done wrong.

> Finding the right guy at quarterback is a big one. We have screwed up big here.

> Drafting strong is another. Our first two drafts are starting to look like complete losses.

> Picking the right coordinators is another. Our defensive assistants have been pathetic.

> Having a plan is also important. We wasted 2 full years of building a 3-4 defense, only to scrap it in year 3.

Buddy thinks the fans need to show patience, because he believes one-year turnarounds are too rare to count on.

But the problem isn't patience. The problem is that we are making the wrong decisions.

By hiring the right front office and coaching staff, a legitimate turn-around CAN be done in one season.

But that requires doing a lot of things right - most of which the Bills have done wrong.

> Finding the right guy at quarterback is a big one. We have screwed up big here.

> Drafting strong is another. Our first two drafts are starting to look like complete losses.

> Picking the right coordinators is another. Our defensive assistants have been pathetic.

> Having a plan is also important. We wasted 2 full years of building a 3-4 defense, only to scrap it in year 3.

Buddy thinks the fans need to show patience, because he believes one-year turnarounds are too rare to count on.

But the problem isn't patience. The problem is that we are making the wrong decisions.

they normally happen one of three ways:

1) stacked team that underachieved (49ers). add one or two pieces, and the right coach and winning seems easy (certainly not us 3 years ago, perhaps closer to us now)

2) mortgage the future, follow no plan, trade picks, create salary cap issues and bring in people with personality disorders (closer to the jets, no thanks, personally)

3) dumb luck (miami a few years ago, normally fall right back into losing ways)

otherwise, you just have to build for awhile. it shouldnt be a 5 year plan to get to the playoffs, but i dont demand a one year either. we should easily be on the cusp right now. and though it looks daunting, were only one game out (though the next 2 are very daunting).

Edited by NoSaint

Exactly, makes no difference when you change up to someone who is equally inept and in over their head. It would be nice to get some young coaching talent.

To be fair, Donahoe understood this and did try to hire young up-and-comers instead of getting on the retread merry-go-round, a place the Bills have often gone with very little scattered success over their history.

To be fair, Donahoe understood this and did try to hire young up-and-comers instead of getting on the retread merry-go-round, a place the Bills have often gone with very little scattered success over their history.

You mean re-treads like Marv Levy, Bill Belicheck and Tom Coughlin?

You can find good coaches that were previously head coaches already. You can find good coaches who were not previously head coaches. Our problem is not that we have looked in the wrong place, it's just that we haven't chosen the right one and we haven't surrounded any of them with enough talent to win.

I don't want a coach/GM who are on their way out to be the ones picking the of the future.

It's time for Nix to retire. Let Whalley take over and decide what he wants to do at HC. Then then Whalley and his chosen HC pick the QB of the future.

I understand what you are saying, but what if the right guy is there? So for me it's about who they pick, then we can comment on whether it should have been their decision.

Nix is now just trying to buy 2-3 more years in their jobs for himself and Gailey.

Everyone will be excited that we have our new franchise QB and Ralphy cannot expect a rookie QB to win immediately.

Its time to blow it up. Get rid of Nix and Gaiiley. New GM. New Coach. New QB. They get 3 years to prove they can get the job done or they are out.

So now they decide they need a QB when this years draft class is the weakest class ever.

I still like this Mike Glennon guy from NC St. Throws some nice frozen ropes with ease. He might be the Ponder type that is projected to go 2nd or 3rd round but his stock rises all the way to round 1. No one talks about him ever.

Most people here understand that we will likely lose the next 2 games but what do we do when the loosing continues beyond that?

Let's face it, Wanny's system won't stop anyone & Fitz can't get the job done at QB. Until these 2 huge issues are addressed, this team will only be working towards a higher draft pick.

I listened to the interview this morning, too, and the one thing that kept ringing in my head is who is going to enact change that is above Buddy? Ralph? For all we know, he probably thinks Buddy is doing a great job and that the team in on the right track to make the playoffs sometime in the next 7 years.

Let's say the Bills go 6-10 this year. Clearly, that's not progress in any of our eyes, but again, who's going to drop the hammer on Buddy or anyone else for that matter? There's no accountability upstairs and essentially this is a rudderless ship.

We'll be spinning our wheels for years with this staff because they all think it's going in the right direction and that we have the right people in place, and there's no one upstairs that's going to tell them otherwise.

Edited by drhockey

Yeah, the only real information I got out of that interview was:

• They will be keeping our coaching staff in place next year
  • They will be drafting a franchise QB in the Round 1 or Round 2 in this years draft

Buddy Nix: "I am not leaving Buffalo without a Franchise QB in place". I was encouraged that they realize that they do not have a franchise QB in Fitz, and will be looking to bring one in.

A Round 2 QB is not a franchise guy...Go back over the past 10 years and see what Quarterbacks were drafted outside the first round. It's hard to land a good QB in the draft, but almost impossible to find one outside the first round.

The team is a mess. We have an ownership situation that is in question because of the age/health of Ralph. We have an expiring lease. We have a 70+ year old scout as our GM. We have a Marketing guys as team president. We have a mediocre Offensive Coordinator/Country Bumkin as our HC. We have a career backup as our starting QB.

I'm not sure why experience is seen as a negative

Nix's comments on getting a franchise QB are nothing new. He's been saying that since he got here.

Just to clarify: Neither Nix or Gailey EVER claimed Fitz was the franchise QB they are seeking.

And they NEVER paid him like they thought he was one, either. Nor did they structure his contract in such a way that would hinder the process.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Nix's comments on getting a franchise QB are nothing new. He's been saying that since he got here.

Just to clarify: Neither Nix or Gailey EVER claimed Fitz was the franchise QB they are seeking.

And they NEVER paid him like they thought he was one, either. Nor did they structure his contract in such a way that would hinder the process.

GO BILLS!!!

People only see he got a huge paycheck. They do not realize that for a starting QB it's not that awful, and the way it is structured it is generous to the team. I expect Fitz to finish out his contract here, but not starting for the entire duration of it. He got a normal contract for a guy with many starts and experience.

he basically mumbled on and said well it can happen.. but usually doesn't.

Which, he is right on.

I believe Gailey is good enough to take the team back to relevance, maybe more. I hate saying good enough is ok, but it's better than I've seen 20 of the past 35 years with this team. I think a mediocre head coach with a stable offensive system, a top 10 qb, and a top 15 defense (we have 2 of these pieces) can go far in Decmber with a little momentum. It isn't likely to happen this year, but I fear big changes over tweaks right now. I think the team is closer in many areas that at any time since '04.

Edited by WinBeforeYouLeave

A Round 2 QB is not a franchise guy...Go back over the past 10 years and see what Quarterbacks were drafted outside the first round. It's hard to land a good QB in the draft, but almost impossible to find one outside the first round.

Good point...but a QB picked in the first round is not always worthy of a first round pick. Remember JP Losman? Had he been picked in the third round, or thereabouts (where Tom Modrak and other NFL personel people had him rated), who knows how different things might have turned out.

Being picked in the first round, automatically raises the bar on any player. A franchise, then, has to make a judgement on a player quick... I guess the important thing is just don't draft the best QB available in the first round, because you need a QB... it seems like nowadays, more and more teams are making that mistake. Guys like Luck, Griffin and Newton are few and far between...

Good point...but a QB picked in the first round is not always worthy of a first round pick. Remember JP Losman? Had he been picked in the third round, or thereabouts (where Tom Modrak and other NFL personel people had him rated), who knows how different things might have turned out.

Being picked in the first round, automatically raises the bar on any player. A franchise, then, has to make a judgement on a player quick... I guess the important thing is just don't draft the best QB available in the first round, because you need a QB... it seems like nowadays, more and more teams are making that mistake. Guys like Luck, Griffin and Newton are few and far between...

This is true of course, but it gets in the way of the false narrative that Nix/Gailey don't understand the importance of having elite talent at the QB position and why they ignore the position altogether.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

You mean re-treads like Marv Levy, Bill Belicheck and Tom Coughlin?

You can find good coaches that were previously head coaches already. You can find good coaches who were not previously head coaches. Our problem is not that we have looked in the wrong place, it's just that we haven't chosen the right one and we haven't surrounded any of them with enough talent to win.

You didn't parse what I wrote correctly. Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin were never interested in coaching in Buffalo. And even some Bills fans would debate you that Marv Levy was a top notch coach.

Yes, in general, an NFL team can find a good, even great, coach on the market. But, I was talking about the Bills. Yes, they hired Chuck Knox a couple of generations ago, but that has really been it. Buffalo is not a destination big name coaches are going to consider. That's why they fly Brandon to Denver to meet with Shanahan and end up with a Jauron or Gailey.

I have to think that being a GM in the NFL they are the same thing?

If you've become a GM, in theory there's little resume building left to do and Nix said he'd done all the front office personnel jobs. The only one he hadn't done, GM, is one he's rapidly failing at. Not that it matters. This is his final NFL job.