What Pisses Me Off About Bills "Fans"

Hater

I have been a Bills Fan for 36 years I'm a Loyal Fan, sure I complain & get angry but I'm a Loyal Fan So when I Hear "Fans" say

"I rather not have a team then this one" or " I wish the team would move" I get pissed because its not just the team its the city of Buffalo you are disrespecting too

If the Bills move to LA then I don't have a team to root for anymore Because I can't root for another team & if the Bill would keep the team & be the LA Bills it doesn't matter they are not the Buffalo Bills

There is a new breed of " Bills Fans" who have no loyalty, no pride, has the team been bad Yes, do we deserve better Yes but why turn on Buffalo, Why turn on the Team, put your focus on Ownership & Management they have the power to make changes to the team

If the Bills move & your still a fan of the team, to me your scrub,a sellout & you have no loyalty to Buffalo

I've been a fan much longer than you and my loyalty left a long time ago. You know why? I grew up and realized there are much more important things in life than the Buffalo Bills. Do I still follow them? Well I'm here aren't I but don't get pissed at me for not really giving a **** any more.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a fan much longer than you and my loyalty left a long time ago. You know why? I grew up and realized there are much more important things in life than the Buffalo Bills. Do I still follow them? Well I'm here aren't I but don't get pissed at me for not really giving a **** any more.

I am very similar to you Chef. I follow them but don't get all wrapped around the axle any more. I have bigger issues to worry about.

If the Bills are moved from Buffalo they are no longer the Buffalo Bills. I will spend my Sundays doing something. I have no desire to cheer for any other team.

So you don't like football? I guess living away from WNY for over 30 years I'm used to watching pretty much any team other than the Bills. Football's a good game made even better when you don't care who wins. Try it sometime.

I think its funny how people can move away from Buffalo for whatever reason (Better quality of living, better job, better education, etc.) but yet can view a sports team moving for that same reason as being such a disrespectful and horrible thing.

So the bills move away from Buffalo and they are "Dead to you", and should be "Dead to the rest of us", yet you move away for a better life and its all fine and dandy cause you still love Buffalo.

I live just outside of Buffalo and am a fan of the Bills and Sabres, I'm not a fan of "Buffalo", They were teh closest football and hockey teams to me so I follow them and thats what got me into those sports. Move them and I will still follow them as my team. I probably wouldn't switch teams, or haven't in the past probably because its just something thats ingrained in you as a male sports fan that its not what you do. I am also a fan of the Blue jays, and am not a fan of "Toronto".

I don't know what I'd do if the Bills moved.

I've never lived in Buffalo and have only visited when going to Bills games and have no connection to the city whatsoever. I became a fan to counter my brother (seems like I did that a lot growing up.) My brother picked the Pittsburgh Steelers as his favorite team about halfway through the 1977 season. The Steelers were had won two SBs at that point and I told my brother that it was easy to pick a winner to root for and that I was going to pick a team and stick with them just because. I looked in the newspaper and found the team with the worst record in the league at the time - the Buffalo Bills. That's the team I chose. I told him I was going to root for them no matter what, even though they were horrible. I live and die by them during the NFL season and I love none of my sports teams as much as the Bills. They're a part of my identity.

I've stuck with them ever since while my brother has moved from liking the Steelers, to the Raiders, to the Colts. Changing teams doesn't make any sense to me. I've moved quite a bit but it never even occurred to me to root for the local team (which would be the Jets or Giants atm).

So would I change teams if they moved to another city? I don't know, it seems like I'd be quitting on them somehow and that's the whole reason I picked them to begin with - to pick a team and stick with them no matter what. At the same time the team I picked was the Buffalo Bills, I'm not sure they'd have the same meaning to me if they were somewhere else. Let's hope I don't have to find out what I'd do.

Are you into S&M?

I will cry tears of joy when I can be unlocked from this **** Sandwich vending franchise. That would happen the Moment the Bills turn into the Oklahoma City Buffalos (That way the logo actually makes sense)

or

I will cry tears of joy in the unlikely event that the Bills win the Super Bowl.

And they are still the worst in the league!

That is false, objectively, the worst teams in the league by record are the Browns, Chiefs, and Jaguars. Two of the three were beaten soundly by the Bills. Oh, and I'm from Buffalo, and I love the city, and the Bills, got a good job here after going to Syracuse for college, have lived here my entire 23 years, and will hopefully be fortunate enough as my career continues to never have to move. Because I love Buffalo. So anyone who can't find a good job, or says Buffalo is dying, think again. Buffalo is rising from what it has been as of late, and you'll see in the next few years once we have a new stadium and a burgeoning waterfront, and the same charm we have always had. Even if the Bills do move, the situation will be such in Buffalo that the city would eventually get a different franchise. But the Bills aren't going anywhere. Too many true blue Western New Yorkers and Buffalo-lovers are in positions of power and wealth, and those folks will make sure the team doesn't move. If it did, I wouldn't cheer for them or any team, until the new team came. But like I hypothesized, the team is not moving.

LMAO I am a fan of Buffalo, and if the team leaves the NFL is dead to me.

to each their own is correct

When the old NBA Buffalo Braves left for the left coast to become the Clippers, I rooted for them - TO LOSE! I didn't follow the NBA that much once they left. As for the Clippers, I wished on them (and still do) endless mediocrity. They pretty much delivered though last year they looked more like the mid-70's Braves with McAdoo-Smith-Ernie D (look'em up if you don't know'em). Hopefully they will be mediocre again.

If the Bills move they can go !@#$ themselves. You think anyone in Cleveland took solace or was excited when the Ravens won the Super Bowl? Hell no.

Of course, i grew up in buffalo, so I identify with the city as much as the team. Its not a win for the franchise, its a win for the City. If we win, the team didn't win, it means that the city won and is on top of the sports world.

Edited by Ramius

So the bills move away from Buffalo and they are "Dead to you", and should be "Dead to the rest of us", yet you move away for a better life and its all fine and dandy cause you still love Buffalo.

Big difference. I live in a city. I do not call and advertise myself as Buffalo reddogblitz and have the city's taxpayers build me a place of business and give me tax breaks. So if there's better opportunities I go elsewhere and no one cares.

Having a team in your city you root for and invest money and time in is a two way street. It's more like if your spouse of 10 years (whom you love and said she loved you) decides there's better opportunities with the guy across town so she high tails it.

Would you tell her, hey, great opportunity, I wish you the best?

I didn't even know where Buffalo was when I became a fan. My city/state doesn't have a team so I picked the Bills.

I find the city representation fairly arbitrary. It's not like the players, coaches, or owners necessarily have any affiliation to the city other than that team uses the name. Half the teams don't even play in the city.

I still hope the Bills don't move, but I'd probably still cheer for the franchise anyway. If I was from the area it would bother me more, but we're ultimately cheering mindlessly for a bunch of grown men we don't know to win a game that has no bearing on our real lives at all, anyway, so I'm not going to let a label change ruin my fun.

Edited by Rob's House

I didn't even know where Buffalo was when I became a fan. My city/state doesn't have a team so I picked the Bills.

I find the city representation fairly arbitrary. It's not like the players, coaches, or owners necessarily have any affiliation to the city other than that team uses the name. Half the teams don't even play in the city.

I still hope the Bills don't move, but I'd probably still cheer for the franchise anyway. If I was from the area it would bother me more, but we're ultimately cheering mindlessly for a bunch of grown men we don't know to win a game that has no bearing on our real lives at all, anyway, so I'm not going to let a label change ruin my fun.

I think its funny how people can move away from Buffalo for whatever reason (Better quality of living, better job, better education, etc.) but yet can view a sports team moving for that same reason as being such a disrespectful and horrible thing.

I live just outside of Buffalo and am a fan of the Bills and Sabres, I'm not a fan of "Buffalo", They were teh closest football and hockey teams to me so I follow them and thats what got me into those sports. Move them and I will still follow them as my team. I probably wouldn't switch teams, or haven't in the past probably because its just something thats ingrained in you as a male sports fan that its not what you do. I am also a fan of the Blue jays, and am not a fan of "Toronto".

This sentiment is at least somewhat logical for fans outside of the region, but it also boggles my mind to read comments that the representative city is "arbitrary". Would an L.A. Packers franchise still evoke Vince Lombardi and Frozen Tundra? Or would a large swath of the NFL's identity be irrevocably lost? The Colts franchise is no longer about Johnny Unitas, it's Peyton Manning. Unitas identified himself with the Baltimore Ravens before his death, because the City/Region is anything but "arbitrary".

I think the Bills leaving Buffalo would be such a painfully visceral experience for the community that, yes--- the Bills would be "dead" to a lot (or probably most) of us. To assume otherwise is outrageous.

The Brooklyn Dodgers and L.A. Dodgers represent two eras of the same National League franchise--- but each team has a completely distinct identity defined in large part by their community and regional fanbase. Again, the above sentiment is at least logical for an outsider to have, but to suggest that a professional sports franchise with as much history in a single region as the Bills moving to another region somehow wouldn't matter is naive, intellectually dishonest or at the very least: lazy.

The Bills in another city would be a completely different entity and one I with which I (and millions of others) could no longer relate.

I don't even watch full games any more on Sunday. The NFL Redzone show has spoiled me, no more commercials, 100% football action and information. Maybe that dulls the senses on specific teams and lets me enjoy the NFL as a whole. If the Bills moved, I would still be an NFL fan.

1.) XXVI (I hold Grudges)

2.) Redskins is a horrible name. I cannot root for a team that uses that name. It is just wrong and not in a new age PC sense. It is just wrong.

3.) XXVI (F the Deadskins and their 1 fluke year!)

Huh, you never struck me as the PC type.

Anyhow, I agree with your scouting approach and my friends and I have had similar discussions. Each time I think Ive found my new team I get a dirty feeling like Im cheating on my girlfriend.

For any of you old enough to have been in Buffalo during the 1970's you'll surely remember when the Buffalo Braves packed up and moved west. That was probably the last time I watched an NBA game.....I will say that the NFL is one sport that I can sit through a game and watch when I don't have a vested interest in the team. Can't watch baseball at all, mostly watch the Sabers in the NHL, but can occassionally sit through two other teams playing. NBA is dead to me....

I'm a season ticket holder, but have no association with WNY. My first game watching was XXV when I was 8 and I've been a big fan since. Regardless, being from WNY or not, I respect the city of Buffalo and would never wish the team leave as it just won't be the same. Although I'm not from Buffalo, From my love of the Bills I feel like I must've been a local in a past life.

Well if you GREW UP & found out there are much more important things in life ahh your on a Buffalo Bills forum, do you just follow the team now so you got something to complain about or you like troll

I don't even watch full games any more on Sunday. The NFL Redzone show has spoiled me, no more commercials, 100% football action and information. Maybe that dulls the senses on specific teams and lets me enjoy the NFL as a whole. If the Bills moved, I would still be an NFL fan.

See I don't care what other teams are doing, I believe Fantasy is killing sports because nobody is loyal to a City or Team people care about players stats so they can win 50 buck at the end of the season same thing about gambling so why don't you say your just a Football Fan instead of a Bills Fan, there is nothing wrong with that

Not from Buffalo and even I would no longer be a fan if they moved. I don't care if the players, coaches, front office, etc all stayed the same if they moved they'd be a different team. Light years different. I'd still be an NFL fan though. I just wouldn't have loyalties to anyone.

I really don't care about the city of Buffalo at all.

I was not born there, never lived there, do not live there now, and cannot imagine a circumstance where I will ever live there.

But the Bills are my regional team and that's why I follow them.

If they move then I would in all likelihood stop following tackle football altogether.

If I recall correctly, and if it hasn't changed, aren't a large number (approaching half) of season ticket holders from Rochester anyway?

And FWIW, I have to believe that if the Bills do move, that the city of Buffalo would retain the rights to "Bills" just like Cleveland did with "Browns".

:thumbsup:

I was a Rams fan when Knox was HC, then a Bills fan when he became the Bills HC. Went to all the Bills super bowls,and have cheered for them since the 70's....what a blunder to root for a team owned by Ralph Wilson. A man who only cares about filling the stadium so he can make a profit. Bill Polian was the aberration and not the norm.

I'm hoping that when the old skinflint passes some New Yorker buys the team, keeps them in Buffalo and they build that huge stadium in downtown Buffalo thus keeping the team in Buffalo forever. The new ownership spends the money to hire a top HC and GM, then the team wins a SB.

Nobody will remember Wilson, except for when they see his bust in canton. You know, the one he paid a few million for to get himself inducted.

EDIT for P.S. What the boobs in LA & the NFL FO don't realize is that there have been several teams in LA and that city just doesn't give a crap if there is a team there or not. 2nd Largest city in the US with almost 4 mill peeps, and Al Davis tried to fill the 100k seat coliseum and couldn't do it, so he moved back to Oakland. There is just to much to do in and around LA to support a team unless they are in the playoffs every year

Edited by Fear the Beard

I agree OP. The thing is this, many here or other places you see or hear might not be from Buffalo, in Buffalo and never plan on living in Buffalo. And that's fine if they are a Bills fan. I know people around the area that are Phins fans, and 49ers fans, etc... They have never lived in the places where they are fans of. Some of them have never even been in the places where they are fans of. They only come to Bills games to watch their teams come here to play.

And that's fine. I agree and I completely understand how this works. What I don't understand is how someone can be a fan of a team and if that fan leaves that city, they are still a fan.

What exactly are you a fan of? Players? Coaches? Owner? Team colors? Name? What is it honestly? Because if they move, everything changes. The city changes. The colors change. The coaches and FO change. The owner defenately changes. The players will change in just a few years with a turnaround. I get it if your a bandwagon fan, but if your a die hard there is no way your logical in your explanation. There just isn't any reason to be a fan if they move, no matter what your reason is.

Your opinions are yours people. But logically it doesn't make sense. Unless your only argument is "I just want them to be good". There's no guarantee they will be anywhere else and there's no proof they wouldn't be here with a new owner.

For any of you old enough to have been in Buffalo during the 1970's you'll surely remember when the Buffalo Braves packed up and moved west. That was probably the last time I watched an NBA game.....I will say that the NFL is one sport that I can sit through a game and watch when I don't have a vested interest in the team. Can't watch baseball at all, mostly watch the Sabers in the NHL, but can occassionally sit through two other teams playing. NBA is dead to me....

I was a huge Braves fan and I root for the Clippers because of the connection. But for those of you who say the NBA is dead to you that's just silly. I moved to LA in 1983 and was fortunate enough to listen to Chick Hearn call the Laker games. What a team that was and what a fantastic rivalry with the Celtics. I've learned to love a sport more than a team. Oh and the NBA of today? Not so much. It's not marketed to old white guys like me anymore.

you are making the assumptions that: 1. all Bills fans are from WNY and 2. those fans care about the city

uhh well I'm in Toronto and have never been in Buffalo, I don't cheer for any other Buffalo teams, but I still feel a connection to the city through this team and I'd never cheer for them if they moved to L.A. Heck I don't think I'd cheer for them if they moved to Toronto either, I hate the Toronto series and this city doesn't deserve an NFL team.

I have been a Bills Fan for 36 years I'm a Loyal Fan, sure I complain & get angry but I'm a Loyal Fan So when I Hear "Fans" say

"I rather not have a team then this one" or " I wish the team would move" I get pissed because its not just the team its the city of Buffalo you are disrespecting too

If the Bills move to LA then I don't have a team to root for anymore Because I can't root for another team & if the Bill would keep the team & be the LA Bills it doesn't matter they are not the Buffalo Bills

There is a new breed of " Bills Fans" who have no loyalty, no pride, has the team been bad Yes, do we deserve better Yes but why turn on Buffalo, Why turn on the Team, put your focus on Ownership & Management they have the power to make changes to the team

If the Bills move & your still a fan of the team, to me your scrub,a sellout & you have no loyalty to Buffalo

You're only thinking of yourself. That's called selfishness. What about the Bill's players who prefer to play for a good football organization run by good owners, managers and coaches, in a city that receives a bigger share of the market, and in a better climate. I'm sure the Bill's players would give up all their loyal fans in order to accomplish that. That's where the players loyalty to fans would end.

You're only thinking of yourself. That's called selfishness. What about the Bill's players who prefer to play for a good football organization run by good owners, managers and coaches, in a city that receives a bigger share of the market, and in a better climate. I'm sure the Bill's players would give up all their loyal fans in order to accomplish that. That's where the players loyalty to fans would end.

Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Cornelius Bennett, Darryl Talley would have problems with you saying this. Russert, Hull, Kemp would be rolling over in their graves. And they are probably the biggest Bills stars of all time.

In the end, it doesn't matter. You think players are happy about being in Minnesota? Green Bay? Kansas City? Jacksonville? C'mon man. Lets be realistic. If what your saying has any merit then they don't care about anything besides money. And then it doesn't matter where they are. Most of these guys live away from their cities on the offseason anyway.

Edited by mrags

I agree OP. The thing is this, many here or other places you see or hear might not be from Buffalo, in Buffalo and never plan on living in Buffalo. And that's fine if they are a Bills fan. I know people around the area that are Phins fans, and 49ers fans, etc... They have never lived in the places where they are fans of. Some of them have never even been in the places where they are fans of. They only come to Bills games to watch their teams come here to play.

And that's fine. I agree and I completely understand how this works. What I don't understand is how someone can be a fan of a team and if that fan leaves that city, they are still a fan.

What exactly are you a fan of? Players? Coaches? Owner? Team colors? Name? What is it honestly? Because if they move, everything changes. The city changes. The colors change. The coaches and FO change. The owner defenately changes. The players will change in just a few years with a turnaround. I get it if your a bandwagon fan, but if your a die hard there is no way your logical in your explanation. There just isn't any reason to be a fan if they move, no matter what your reason is.

Your opinions are yours people. But logically it doesn't make sense. Unless your only argument is "I just want them to be good". There's no guarantee they will be anywhere else and there's no proof they wouldn't be here with a new owner.

A complete side note but, what if the team moved to Oklahoma City and called themselves the Buffaloes and didn't change anything?

Would that piss off more Buffalo Bills fans or Keep more Buffalo Bills Fans? That Red, White and Blue look is freaking iconic (if they could only win the big one and give the Jersey the respect it deserves.)

Edited by Why So Serious?

If the Bills move to LA and that's a big if, I would root for them because I could now go to home games in LA. So yes for me it would work.

That's the Dumbest thing I have ever read I am not thinking of myself I am think of thinking of the Bills Fan & the players why don't you tuck them in bed, read them a bedtime story, they're getting paid & its Cold Get some hot Chocolate & a Blankly

Let me put it this way If The Red Sox move to Charlotte NC their rivalry with the Yankees would no longer exist because the Charlotte Fans wouldn't understand the rivalry with Boston & New York Fans The Teams are Identify with the cities not the other way

I'm not from Buffalo, but the Bills are my team in a large part to the fan experience that i have every time I go to a game at the Ralph. Those are not the LA fans or the NYC fans. Those are Buffalo fans and without them, the Bills will be dead to me and I will move over to being a Seahawks fan, because they offer the second best stadium in the NFL to watch a game at. Saying "I wish they would leave" isn't going to endear you to any Bills fan from the great city of Buffalo.

:thumbsup:

I was a Rams fan when Knox was HC, then a Bills fan when he became the Bills HC. Went to all the Bills super bowls,and have cheered for them since the 70's....what a blunder to root for a team owned by Ralph Wilson. A man who only cares about filling the stadium so he can make a profit. Bill Polian was the aberration and not the norm.

I'm hoping that when the old skinflint passes some New Yorker buys the team, keeps them in Buffalo and they build that huge stadium in downtown Buffalo thus keeping the team in Buffalo forever. The new ownership spends the money to hire a top HC and GM, then the team wins a SB.

Nobody will remember Wilson, except for when they see his bust in canton. You know, the one he paid a few million for to get himself inducted.

EDIT for P.S. What the boobs in LA & the NFL FO don't realize is that there have been several teams in LA and that city just doesn't give a crap if there is a team there or not. 2nd Largest city in the US with almost 4 mill peeps, and Al Davis tried to fill the 100k seat coliseum and couldn't do it, so he moved back to Oakland. There is just to much to do in and around LA to support a team unless they are in the playoffs every year

The NFL is fully aware that they do not want a team in LA.

LA is much more useful to extort new stadiums from the other cities under threat of a move to LA

Now, they can televise the best teams each week with no threat of a blackout

you are making the assumptions that: 1. all Bills fans are from WNY and 2. those fans care about the city

Due to the mass exodus from WNY, more than half of Bills fans do not live there anymore or never lived there as they are kids of Bills fans. Neither necessarily care much about the place but are fans of the team. Pro sports teams are less about the place more than ever. They exist in a bubble more than ever. The coaches style of play and the players define the team, not the city they play in. We are not in the 50's. After the season most players go home, and that is not WNY.

If the Bills move to LA and that's a big if, I would root for them because I could now go to home games in LA. So yes for me it would work.

And this I agree with. If someone is a Bills fan and they leave and show up to or close enough to enjoy them on a weekly basis easier than now, I get it. But if you live in, say... Virginia, and they move to LA or Toronto, why would you be a fan anymore? It just doesn't make sense. Sure there are things that could stay the same, but at the end of the day it's a different team. Anyone that claims its "selfish" to want them to stay are absolutely rediculous and its just as selfish and stupid to want them to move just to be "better". No guarantees anything would happen for better or worse.

And this I agree with. If someone is a Bills fan and they leave and show up to or close enough to enjoy them on a weekly basis easier than now, I get it. But if you live in, say... Virginia, and they move to LA or Toronto, why would you be a fan anymore? It just doesn't make sense. Sure there are things that could stay the same, but at the end of the day it's a different team. Anyone that claims its "selfish" to want them to stay are absolutely rediculous and its just as selfish and stupid to want them to move just to be "better". No guarantees anything would happen for better or worse.

Since when do fans make sense, anyways.

If you respond to this topic saying you won't really follow football much if the Bills leave town, you really don't get or appreciate NFL football at all.

i disagree 100%. I enjoy watching football and going to games but if we lost the Bills in Buffalo, I will probably watch maybe 2 games a week and that's being generous.

Why on earth would anyone NOT from Buffalo root for the Bills anyway? It's not something you choose, you're born with this albatross.

you´re right, i don´t know why i choose to root for the bills (and i am from México), but i do and thanks to my brother,who pays for sunday ticket, i follow them weekly