Getting tired of this, bills and nfl

Vetriano

Game day habits  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Has it changed? Compared to prior years

• Watch more
    • Watch less
    • Same as prior years

Dont know if it's because I'm older than almost every player in the league with the exception of an odd kicker. But after 12 years of garbage, spending too much cash, and seeing a greedier nfl product (ie Thursday night football). Gave up fantasy football this year, don't miss it at all. Tell the truth I barely miss sitting in a bar watching this team lose week after week. So my question is, are you watching more, less or about the same. I think it would be different if lived in buffalo, im just outside nyc

I watch a lot less.

Bills suck. Rule changes suck. And holy schit!!!!! I am tired of the NFC East being on tv EVERY SINGLE GAME!!!!!!!!

You would think its the Bills and 4 other teams in the entire league with who they show in Rochester.

I think most people, me included had higher expectations this year, I quit watching games after the 49ers game just because I have more productive things to do than waste three hours of my life watching these overpaid losers! But I will always be a fan, always check the scores, stats, news ect. I am always hopeful that some day things will turn around, Buffalo has the best fans in the NFL!

"Game consumption" is the same.

Total NFL consumption is way more, mostly because there is more of it available.

That's part of what makes these 13 years so frustrating. The last time the Bills were good there was no NFL Network, no espn radio around the clock, no podcasts, et al mostly devoted to good teams...Just Chris Berman & Tom Jackson on Primetime, and a Pro Football Weekly that my dad used to buy. It sure seems like a way worse era for your team to suck now than 20yrs ago.

Total NFL consumption is way more, mostly because there is more of it available.

That's part of what makes these 13 years so frustrating. The last time the Bills were good there was no NFL Network, no espn radio around the clock, no podcasts, et al mostly devoted to good teams...Just Chris Berman & Tom Jackson on Primetime, and a Pro Football Weekly that my dad used to buy. It sure seems like a way worse era for your team to suck now than 20yrs ago.

In Canada, we had to wait until Tuesday for the USA today to check stats from Sunday.

I still look forward to every Sunday; I just love football. Going to bars where all the games are on one big wall of TVs is cool. I usually have them put the Bills game on a TV away from that big wall so I can focus more on it, but it is also fun to watch all the other games too. That small time frame a couple weeks ago when Feely was missing his kick, RG3 ran for that touchdown and Sidney Rice caught that game winning TD against New England was really fun to experience all at once.

Anyway, the Bills will get somewhere sometime. I will keep watching, but maybe during ski season I'll skip a few Sundays if we're headed nowhere.

I'm the same I've been for the past 5-10 year but that's no where near where I was 10+ years ago. I still go to every home game. I still watch all the away games on tv if I'm off. If not I will tape them and go back to watch. But I don't pay much attention to other teams anymore. Just can't deal with it. Not a fan of where the league is going honestly. It's been a huge money grab forever but it's been getting worse and worse. Boxing out small market teams by playing the same damn big market powerhouses just about every Monday night. Sunday night. And Thursday night. Without doing the numbers, I'd probably say that 75% or more of the prime time games each week have one of the following teams associated: Dallas, Washington, New Jersey, the other New Jersey, New England, Chicago, Miami, San Diego, Arizona. There's always your schmuck teams that get 1 game a year but for the most part that's it. Unless your the Packers or the Steelers and that's just because of the amount of trophies they've collected and the league wants those cities to be the small market poster boys of the league. Other teams get s**t. It really depresses me considering what real football is supposed to be like.

Oh, and I have no doubt that games are either fixed or cheating is allowed and swept under the rug just like the Pats. Spyware, no tuck rule. Wi. Ing the SB the year of 9-11. It's all very, very fishy IMO. I guess being bitter about your team sucking will make you feel this way.

im about the same only because i always start out with high hopes but as the season plays out and i get disappointed i dont waist my Sundays devoting my time to football and turn it into going hunting, but if they are playing at a high level i would still be watching

I still look forward to every Sunday; I just love football. Going to bars where all the games are on one big wall of TVs is cool. I usually have them put the Bills game on a TV away from that big wall so I can focus more on it, but it is also fun to watch all the other games too. That small time frame a couple weeks ago when Feely was missing his kick, RG3 ran for that touchdown and Sidney Rice caught that game winning TD against New England was really fun to experience all at once.

Anyway, the Bills will get somewhere sometime. I will keep watching, but maybe during ski season I'll skip a few Sundays if we're headed nowhere.

i have been feeling like games are fixed, i said it at the game Sunday when the ref the farthest away is throwing flags to over turn plays and it always seems to go agents the bills, or not over turning calls that are clear as day, **** im starting to think chan is in on it not going for it on 4 and 1, going for 2 reviewing the fumble at the end, thats just one game smh nfl is going in the wrong direction

You forgot The George Michael Sports Machine.

I watch FAR more college football than I ever have before....and I watch more NFL in general than I ever have before....but I watch the Bills far less. I even expect my appetite for college ball to increase more once the playoff format hits.

Dont know if it's because I'm older than almost every player in the league with the exception of an odd kicker. But after 12 years of garbage, spending too much cash, and seeing a greedier nfl product (ie Thursday night football). Gave up fantasy football this year, don't miss it at all. Tell the truth I barely miss sitting in a bar watching this team lose week after week. So my question is, are you watching more, less or about the same. I think it would be different if lived in buffalo, im just outside nyc

I watch more simply bc I like football and they have these new fangled things called DVRs :thumbsup:

i pretty much feel the same as the poster.. i am a life-long, die hard bills fan, but this year i am losing enthusiasm for the first time ever, which i attribute to the crappy bills product year after year, and the greed of the NFL(as epitomized by wilson) . pre-game shows are almost unwatchable, commercials during the games are tedious .. sick of all of it.. i used to hate bills bye weeks, now i could care less..

The problem to me of the NFL is no different than the way the market goes. Before too long the NFL will out market itself. Yes Thursday, all day Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night. Times have changed and now the NFL network itself is too much. They want big markets and that's it. Ticket prices are going to become more than what it's worth if not already in some places. Case in point, Giants and Jets have issues selling out as the prices are too high. When I was younger, it didn't cost so much. Now it cost so much many people can't take their kids to a game. It's not the Bills but the way the NFL has gone to me. I watch the Bills and that's it. I hate going to a bar to watch them anymore. If the Bills aren't on tv I find something else to do. I can care less of watching others as the highlights and replays and every sports network has some sort of break down of the league it's impossible not to know what the other teams are doing.

I only have 2 days on the weekend. Days get shorter this time of year too. I get angry with myself if I waste a whole afternoon watching them stink-up the joint. I get furious if I watch them lose like they did against the Jets-Pats-Niners.

Didya ever feel as though YOU care more about the Bills winning than the Bills themselves do?!?!

So now I record each game. If I'm working around the house, I'll have it on and admittedly, I usually get sucked in until they start playing like crap - then I'll turn it off. I'll check to see if they win/lose and decide if I want to watch the plays (30-second fast-forward button on DVR lets me watch a whole game in about 1:15). I must confess - I did not watch the 2nd halves of the Jets- Pats games, though I did reply the 2nd half of the Pats game because I couldn't understand how the Pats just kept scoring, and scoring, and scoring!! Like a fire, a car wreck or a carny freak - something so strange you can't take your eyes off of it. I watched a few minutes of the 9ers game and between seeing that I cared more about the game than the Bills did and knowing I'd have to suffer through the overly smug Harbaugh - I turned it off.

I was lucky enough to be an adult (30) in 1990 - the Bills heydey! It was an incredible ride - the Super Bowl actually felt like a birth right after the 2nd one!

I suffered thru the 70's - (we never beat the fish from 1970-79, 0-20!!) and we were worse than we are now (believe it or not). We had the running back OJ (not the murderer), and he was a diversion. I actually remember feeling (as a kid I must remind you) that as long as OJ got his yards and some exciting runs, it didn't matter that we lost - because that would normally get us on MNF Halftime Hi-lites with Howard Cosell!!! It was a huge deal back then.

But there's no way I watch as much as I used to - I refuse to make the time committment until I see the team make a committment to trying to win (note I say trying, not actually winning).

The talent is there - but they are not producing. Kelsay revealed a few cracks in the team chemistry (which is needed to add some bite to the complacency). We need some bickering Bills before ths team turns a corner!

I've passed up watching two games this year. Taking my son and grandson to watcht the Notre Dame/Wake Forest game at Notre Dame rather than to a Bills game this year. If they don't feel like playing, I'm not feeling like watching. For a while it was something I just couldn't take my eyes off...kind of like a messy car wreck...now its just old.

Last year for example I watched the Bills live (on TV) and recorded a couple other games, generally of Bills future opponents, and watched them with the commercials stripped out (only way those games were tolerable).

This year I must admit to recording some Bills games and watching then with commercials stripped out and fast forward thru halftime, and not even recording other games. There is so much wasted time during games anymore it drives me crazy. I suspect I will do this for all remaining Bills games this season.

The NFL, to me anyway, is not nearly as entertaining as it once was. If the Bills do leave WNY I doubt I will watch much football at all. And I doubt I will miss it much either.

Pro football is the only sport I watch. I drink the Kool Aid that is served up each year, hoping we go from bad to good, but you know the story.

As such, I usually pick a team that normally isn't very good that starts to make a run. It makes the season not as bad and I have someone to root for down the stretch.

One day boys, our ship will come in !

Less. 3 young kids...weekend activities, etc.. Still DVR every Bills game on Sunday ticket and refrain from looking at scores so i can watch the game "live". I find myself fast forwarding through some parts but still stop to watch every play. I heard the SF score in advance so that's the only time I didn't watch any of the game...I couldn't bear it. So instead of watching 6-9 hours of football on Sundays (like i used to), I only watch the Bills game and that can be 2 hours or less if I don't watch in real time.

The rule changes in the NFL are starting to sour the milk for me. I have always been a fanatic about defense but the rules are trending towards the absurd. PI and roughing the passer calls these days are very hard to digest. As the OP stated the NFL is in the greed business. The game is becoming what they can sell on TV. No more and no less.

I only watch the Bills game and that can be 2 hours or less if I don't watch in real time.

Oh it is way under 2 hours, particularly if you remove halftime.

Clock time is one hour. Even with the time the clock is stopped due to incompletions or runs out of bounds, rarely if ever does it go 90 minutes.

If you strip out all of the whitespace and watch just the plays, it apparently distills down to 11 minutes of action on average.

http://online.wsj.co...2055561406.html

Edited by CodeMonkey

You forgot The George Michael Sports Machine.

I grew up without cable, that was my highlight fix for Sunday night.

Myself, I seem to be watching more this year, but not the Bills. My regular family Sunday dinner is at 1pm, so I'll catch the last half of the Bills, watch the 4pm games, and usally part of the NBC game after Amazing Race is over on CBS.

I grew up without cable, that was my highlight fix for Sunday night.

Myself, I seem to be watching more this year, but not the Bills. My regular family Sunday dinner is at 1pm, so I'll catch the last half of the Bills, watch the 4pm games, and usally part of the NBC game after Amazing Race is over on CBS.

We have a similar dinner philosophy which is why I like the 1pm starts. Game ends by 4, commercial stripping software does its thing, and we watch the 75-90 minute Bills game while eating dinner. And we have our afternoons free. It works out perfectly.

I watch less. Before I had a son I'd watch pretty much all the college and pro games I could - I'd sit in front of the TV watching football all weekend. In the 8 years since my son's been born I'll watch all the Bills games and many the late games but I can't justify ignoring my family while I watch the 4pm game or any college ball except for the occasional primetime game. My priorities have changed and I can say I'm happier for it.

Way way way less.

After moving away from Buffalo, I used to spend my entire fall Sundays (for years) holed up in some smelly sports bar. Now I probably only watch about 1.5 hours of NFL football a week. And that's only because I have dinner at my in-laws on Monday nights and the game's on in their house. The current NFL product is weak in my opinion and resembles a 7-on-7 passing league. I miss the physical battles of my youth. Having said that, I'm sure I'll get sucked back in when the Toronto/Hamilton Bills turn it around in 2020.