Firing Wannstedt during the bye is the right thing to do

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres the thing.

On EVERY down, we play our back seven at least 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.

So when we do blitz, the whole stadium knows it.

That is not how you play defense anymore in the NFL.

You put 6-7 guys on the line and back out when you want to play coverage.

Wanny's schemes (yes I use the words loosely) are out of date.

+1

If he is not fired then a total make over is needed. Put you 11 best out there and play aggressive defense. Attack! Force the issue att he line. Fire into the gaps is basic, disruprive football. Why can't Wanny understand this?

Absolutely, I mean when it comes to the point when you have to honestly question if the team could be any worse off by firing your DC halfway through the season then he should be fired. I mean week after week we have to sit there and watch the defense get shredded every way possible. Wannsted has got to be the worst DC in the league, the fact that this guy still has a job is purely comical.

The bye week seems to be a time when many bad teams start making staffers walk the plank. When would an announcement like this come? At what point can we assume its too late and we will be stuck with who we got? God forbid.

Wednesday? Thursday? If we get to the weekend I think we can assume they're all going down with the ship.

The bye week seems to be a time when many bad teams start making staffers walk the plank. When would an announcement like this come? At what point can we assume its too late and we will be stuck with who we got? God forbid.

Wednesday? Thursday? If we get to the weekend I think we can assume they're all going down with the ship.

One can hope, but it isn't going to happen.

It would be a pleasant surprise if Wannstedt was replaced during the bye. Whatever he's trying to do it's not working, that has to be clear to everyone including the HC. The numbers speak for themselves along with the 'career' games that opponents are having against this 'D' so far this season. No more excuses or explanations please. This defense sucks.

The decision to make a change all boils down to accountability. Are people doing their jobs in a competent manner and getting results? If not, changes are needed and if no changes are made it points to a lack of leadership holding the members of the organization (on and off the field) accountable the results.

The marching orders to change something need to come from the top. The owner and GM should be totally livid and demanding of action at this point. But given his age and health I suspect Ralph is more of an absentee owner at this point so don't expect any demands for change to be generated out of ownership. And I suspect Nix isn't going to take action either since its likely he's going to give way to Whaley this offseason when Gailey is fired and we start the 'rebuilding' process yet again with a new coaching staff. My hope is enough of the Steelers culture has rubbed off on Whaley so he can bring a new approach to the Bills next year.

its not looking good here. the defense is a mess, kelsey gets through but is often the target of where to run at. mario is showing us his best albert haynesworth impression. i've always been a fan of having a defense that is too agressive. seeing as that hasn't been the case in quite a while, i think as wanny you have to think, well i am about to get fired i might as well try to put together something good for my next team. open up the blitz packages, get on the sidelines, and get fired up about things. even if the defense is getting killed because of blitzes its not like they can't fall any further than the worst rank defense in the league.

OK. Bye week is here. Defense is an absolute waste. There is no reason Wannstedt should not be fired other than finding a replacement. Is that really a good reason? (Keep an absolutely inept person because you can't find another inept person?)

Given this, is it any wonder that this team has been the definition of futility over the last decade plus.

Ralph, please for the love of God, sell this team to someone capable of running it. I know your ego gets in the way, but please show some mercy.

Thanks.

http://blogs.buffalo...aching-changes/

That's not the way Chan does "business".

Interesting. Then Chan needs to be fired as well. Even if Wanny stays, Chan has a huge ego problem and no results. It's one thing to be Bellicheat and be a dousch and win; Chan is a dousch and looses.

I agree something major needs to change, but who do you propose they bring in at DC that would improve the Defense?

Talley?

100 % agree. Fire Chan while they are at it. Get the Special teams coach to HC, get the assistants to coordinate, and hire Fewell or Cower at years end.

I wish people would stop saying this. Cowher has a cushy network gig where he shows up for Sundays and probably involves minimal effort during the week. And I suspect he gets paid extremely well to do it. No headaches, no draft, no offseason activity, basically no bull **** at all. What makes anyone think he would give that up to move to Buffalo !@#$ing NY into a mess of a franchise that has a career backup signed to a long term contract as the starting QB and has no clue what will happen when the current owner passes (which could be at any time)? Not going to happen, pure and simple. And please don't give me the "throw enough money at him and he will come". He would have to be completely brain damaged to come to Buffalo given his current circumstances.

The main reason why Gailey is the HC now is because he would take the job. Things are worse now than when Gailey was hired, so it will be even harder (if not impossible) to get someone better than Gailey to agree to take the job. It would probably have to be some hungry OC or DC. No way someone established like a Cowher.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I wish people would stop saying this. Cowher has a cushy network gig where he shows up for Sundays and probably involves minimal effort during the week. And I suspect he gets paid extremely well to do it. No headaches, no draft, no offseason activity, basically no bull **** at all. What makes anyone think he would give that up to move to Buffalo !@#$ing NY into a mess of a franchise that has a career backup signed to a long term contract as the starting QB and has no clue what will happen when the current owner passes (which could be at any time)? Not going to happen, pure and simple. And please don't give me the "throw enough money at him and he will come". He would have to be completely brain damaged to come to Buffalo given his current circumstances.

The main reason why Gailey is the HC now is because he would take the job. Things are worse now than when Gailey was hired, so it will be even harder (if not impossible) to get someone better than Gailey to agree to take the job. It would probably have to be some hungry OC or DC. No way someone established like a Cowher.

Cowher isn't dumb. His current gig pays easy money. IF he was even interested he would want full control. No way does this loser organization hand that over to an ex-Rooney employee, who by the way made his career by giving him the players he needed.

Besides he;s been out of the game to long and would look lost out there. Kind of like the current coaching staff.

How much worse would we be if we simply went to man coverage and had linebackers blitz every once and a while?

Why wouldn't we fire Wanny, then completely simplify the defense? How worse could it be? Would receivers still be uncovered in man coverage?

Fire Chan and Wanny and move Modkins to HC, Sanders to DC and Lee to OC. Can't be any worse than the catastrophe we have already. If they fall on their face at least we'll draft high, if they don't and surprise us then that's fine too. I don't care anymore

This my friend sounds like an even worse train wreck!