Experts - Can Leodis become good?

stevestojan

I think the lowlight of last weeks game was our secondary. And that's saying a lot since there were plenty of contenders.

But it just seems when the football gets near McKelvin, horrific things happen.

So, since I'm a die hard fan, but admittedly not the most educated when it comes to the X's and O's, does anyone see any possibility he will become great? Sorry... good?

The guy seems like nothing but a liability.

Hoped they would cut him because when your reason for being a field is a supposed ability to cover a receiver and you can't, there then is no reason to be on the field.

I sat next to this joker on a flight two years ago listening to him mumble into multiple cell phones. Came across as not too bright and to wrapped up In Trying to be cool. The guy on the other side of me... George Wilson, totally the opposite impression. One can't learn to play his position, the other learned a new position while in the league. Enough said about McKelvins potential, there is none. He sucks, always will.

McKelvin is in the right place pretty much all the time, so that means he knows his assignments. The coaches are at least putting him in the postion to succeed. It is very rare that he is flat out beat, tho I have seen it a few times. Every DB, even the very good ones, sometimes read the play wrong so I won't hold that against him.

The ball skills and timing are off. This would seem to be something correctable by coaching, but he still hasn't picked it up consistently. He looked bad on that Kerley play. I mean, Leodis, you're right there! C'mon man! However, let's not forget how good McKelvin looked this preseason- like he finally "got it."

So, I would like to believe he could finally turn the corner (pardon the pun), but I'm not holding my breath.

Since he's in his contract year and could be the last time he can prove his worth- how about this crazy idea: Should Chan put him in on offense in a Randall Cobb/Sidney Rice role? By that, I mean getting him the ball on swing passes, reverses, pitches and such and letting him go to work. The guy is electric on returns when he gets some space. I know we've got Dickerson basically filling that H-back wildcard (not wildcat) role, but I think McKelvin would be more dangerous and since there is no tape on him, Chan could showcase some of that creativity he is known for.

Just a thought- what do you guys think?

While the past couple of years have me pessimistic about McKelvin, I'm not going to write him off completely. It seems since Chan and company took over, the play of our secondary has been a big issue. While Jauron was inept in a lot of ways, he, himself was an NFL cornerback. I believe he also got going in the NFL coaching tree as a secondary coach. Under Jauron, our secondary was, at worst, mediocre. During his tenure, I do not remember McKelvin being as bad as he is under Gailey, who is much more offensive minded.

What is even odder about that is, Gailey actually kept the defensive backs coach on board (George Catavalos) when Jauron left. However, he has not done nearly as good of a job as when he was under Jauron. This makes me think that Jauron's scheme and his own coaching was more responsible for the secondary play than Catavalos.

I do not think McKelvin will turn into an elite corner ever. However, can he be serviceable or better under the right system and coaching? I think so.

Also, I know he has been moved to the nickel corner this year which never made much sense to me. McKelvin is more of a top speed guy than a short area quickness guy. I don't think this was a good move.

Zonabb - Unless you are Jairus Byrd, I do not understand how you can be on an airplane with Leodis at the window, Wilson on the isle and you in the middle.

Hahaha. Got a good kick out of that.

Maybe we're approaching this whole McKelvin thing wrong. It's like he thinks "My job is to stay close to this WR. Oh, and by the way, there's a ball coming." Maybe we need him to think about the ball first and the receiver second. "My job is to go knock that ball out of the sky. Oh, and by the way, there's another guy trying to catch it."

Or maybe he'd be better at catching balls if that was actually his job. Make him a WR. I mean...yeah, he seems to have awful ball skills as a CB, but if we told him his job was to run routes, shake defenders and catch passes, do you think he could do it? He's got speed, he knows how routes work...maybe we're asking him to do the wrong job.

When George Wilson was #6 or #7 receiver on the depth chart and switched to safety, I figured it was a desperate move by a guy who really wanted to make the team. I assumed he'd fail. Now he's regarded as a quality starter at the position. Who knows, maybe McKelvin is a square peg in a round hole.

Two young men together don't get on an airplane and sit next to each no more than they'd take urinals next to each if it could be avoided!!!! Whitner was on the flight to and sat on his own. I boarded alone neat the end and sat between them. I will say Wilson pulled a David Puddy and starred straight ahead the while flight... No book, no music, just sat there!!!!

I am not sure you can teach ball awareness skills. So no I don't think he will ever be good at CB.

I wonder if a move to FS would help him. He seems to lose sight of the ball when he has to turn. At FS the play would always be in front of him, and he certainly has the wheels to cover ground quickly. My worry would be his ability to recognize the play developing.

And as someone else posted, I wonder how he would do at WR? It is not his hands that are the problem. If he knew where the ball was coming out of his break I suspect he would catch it.

Lastly, the whole secondary played like garbage including Byrd who IMO this board and the media overvalues. Hope he proves me wrong.

McLuvin is horrible. He just doesn't belong on a Pro NFL team other than to return punts: I have been wondering about that also.

Did he not field a punt inside the 5 this past week?

He is bad in coverage, and I don't know WHAT this coaching staff is looking at. Gailey said after the game something to the effect that

he needed to see the film of the secondary, and they needed to "tighen up". Really? You think so? What are you looking at when you see

McLuvin on film?

Someone needs to fired or let go, or both.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Just got back from a meeting with the expert panel and their feeling is to let us boneheads see if we can figure it out for ourselves. If we're still struggling with reaching a consensus after Sunday, they will intervene to protect us from ourselves.

GO BILLS!!!

Just got back from a meeting with the expert panel and their feeling is to let us boneheads see if we can figure it out for ourselves. If we're still struggling with reaching a consensus after Sunday, they will intervene to protect us from ourselves.

GO BILLS!!!

Someone needs to intervene and protect us from McLuvin.

Watch the Bills re-sign him during the season for another 5 years. :bag:

Maybe we're approaching this whole McKelvin thing wrong. It's like he thinks "My job is to stay close to this WR. Oh, and by the way, there's a ball coming." Maybe we need him to think about the ball first and the receiver second. "My job is to go knock that ball out of the sky. Oh, and by the way, there's another guy trying to catch it."

This

leodis has a gift - the gift of being able to stay with just about any receiver and then barely miss the ball when he waves his hands at it

i wonder if we could just equip him with a couple of those huge foam fingers? as close as he comes to the ball without touching it, it would only take a couple more inches

Leodis is fine--the coaches need to go. Anyone putting leodis in coverage needs firing.

Any decent coach puts him on returns(exc when the game depends on a non-fumble at the end)

or maybe even on offense somewhere. But he has the defensive ball skills of the last kid picked in gym class.

Another example of poor drafting... Each year we get excited about our first rounders, yet they always have a reason for not performing... Then 3 to 4 seasons later they are released, picked up by another team and then released again... Leodis may have great athletic ability, but he has made me a disbeliever in his football skills!!

When leodis got burned for the TD, it appeared to me he let up once he thought he thought he had the WR defended in the end zone, then he only took a half hearted swipe at the ball, On a third down play on the next possession he watched the WR run a small curl to the inside right freaking in front of him and the waited till the pass was thrown and caught before he made a move to get to and tackle the WR. I mean he just watched and waited for the pass to be completed. WTF was that about?

Yes he can. I blame wanny it's not like Gilmore or a Williams made any plays either

Mck best corner on team......int vs KC and everyones back on board

Let's go D, rally for marcell, kill the chiefs again, homecookin

Yeah because Gilmore and Williams have so much tape on them consistently screwing up on the field to lazily access the blame on Wanny.

And by no means is he the best CB on the team.

Yeah because Gilmore and Williams have so much tape on them consistently screwing up on the field to lazily access the blame on Wanny.

And by no means is he the best CB on the team.

Yup that's what I said.....wannys entire defense looked terrible The blame game is going his way sir

Only had an offseason and preseason to practice this stuff. As they say on the Internet EPIC FAIL.

Didn't know there was a wannstedt fan in the building.....we gotta get u a wanny sig or avatar man..

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Since he's in his contract year and could be the last time he can prove his worth- how about this crazy idea: Should Chan put him in on offense in a Randall Cobb/Sidney Rice role? By that, I mean getting him the ball on swing passes, reverses, pitches and such and letting him go to work. The guy is electric on returns when he gets some space. I know we've got Dickerson basically filling that H-back wildcard (not wildcat) role, but I think McKelvin would be more dangerous and since there is no tape on him, Chan could showcase some of that creativity he is known for.

Just a thought- what do you guys think?

You think our offense needs to get more complicated than it is? And a guy like Leodis is going to run with it? And showcase him no less ha ha. I wont tell you what I think. Hopefully you'll figure it out. :doh:

Yes he can. I blame wanny it's not like Gilmore or a Williams made any plays either

Mck best corner on team......int vs KC and everyones back on board

Let's go D, rally for marcell, kill the chiefs again, homecookin

Sorry bro.....Wanny has only been the Bills' DC for one NFL game. McKelvin has sucked since he was drafted in 2008. I don't see how can blame Wannstache for that...

You think our offense needs to get more complicated than it is? And a guy like Leodis is going to run with it? And showcase him no less ha ha. I wont tell you what I think. Hopefully you'll figure it out. :doh:

You think swing passes are more complicated than timing patterns on option routes? The plays are already there, just sub McKelvin for Dickerson.

And yeah, I want to see if he can do it because if he's good at it, it may be the reason we re-sign him, or get some value in a trade.