Chan...please for the love of budda.....dont have Fitz throw the ball

This team is much more ground and pound than I think Gailey would like to admit. You have good O-line, a pair of good running backs, and your passing game isn't epic. I hope they at least run it till the Jets prove they can stop it. Expect plenty of misdirection and screen plays too. I think we start the game uber conservative and open up depending on need.

I can't believe it's not budda!

John from Hemet gettin' his Brooklyn accent on in anticipation of the Jest game.

You will see your fair share of 2 TE sets tomorrow, I think.

GO BILLS!!!

It seems that we run better out of spread formations than when we're in more traditional set up. I would anticipate that we spread the field a lot still.

Edited by biglukes

If we had a physical kick a** line you would have a point- but we don't

What kind of line do we have then?

I'll agree that a lot of our runs come from the spread, but that doesn't make them less tough. Our three interior lineman are pretty damn mean IMO.

Sorry, John, I can see what you're saying, but I am very interested in making sure I set a tone for the game where I am interested in Stevie Johnson building upon a couple of very solid performances against Revis last year, that I am quite interested in the Jets best player on D know that he is going to have to work hard all day.

The Jets are used to being quite certain that Revis is at least not gonna need any help and that there is a fair chance he is gonna shut down the opposing lead receiver and greatly restrict the opponents offensive scheme.

One of the best things the Bills can do for the run game is to force Revis back on his heels the whole game so that not only are they short their best NT and a hard-hitting safety but Revis is not able to look inside first but is thinking about the passing game. Running your strenght against their weakness makes good sense, but quite frankly I like our blockers more as a strength on passing rather than them demonstrating to date that they are a good running unit.

My sense is that the Jets know they are in deep doo-doo against the run, and will be pumped to do what they can to stop the Bills from establishing a grind it out approach.

I simply do not have the confidence (yet) in our O and its run attack to set the tone for the game purely based on their being able to push a even a weakened opponent around.

Make my first play a play action fake which almost certainly will suck the Jets depleted defense into trying to stopp the run. This will give even Fitzy a bunch of time to let Stevie put a double move on Revis and catch a relatively short pass but have space to run after the catch.

Once the Jets are thinking hard about how to deal with the potential for a Bills O willing to pass and amazingly whether to help Revis out, then the Jets run D is not only missing two of their key run defenders but the second string guys in there are leaning back instead of leaning forward and FJ and Spiller will get to pick their holes.

I would rather see Revis be a shut-down CB because he has figured out how to beat our prime WR than have him hold SJ without a reception in the first half because we never throw to him.

The best thing this team can do for the running games is to demonstrate a willingness to throw the ball right from the start.

But then perhaps you have more confidence than I do on the ability of our guys to simply beat the Jets with our runnng power.

I think we need a full playbook and a 60 minute effort to win. I have not seen enough production from our Fitz led O to believe in them simply blowing through even the depleted Jets squad using half their playbook. Perhaps you have more confidence in our O than I have.

It seems that we run better out of spread formations than when we're in more traditional set up. I would anticipate that we spread the field a lot still.

Spreading the field with 3, 4, 5, wide plays right into the strength of the Jest defense. A la game one of last year. So, how did Chan adjust for game 2 in NY? He ran many 2 TE power sets and lo and behold, the Bills had their best offensive game against the Jest in Gailey's tenure. We were only one of two teams to score 3 TDs on them, plus we held the ball to the tune of 36+ minutes. Power against power. I think Chan found something that works and I can't see him getting away from something that works.

None of that means that he won't mix it up or that he won't be forced to spread them if we're in obvious passing downs. But he found a formula that works in the 2 TE, single back set. I'll be surprised if we don't see more of the same.

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry, John, I can see what you're saying, but I am very interested in making sure I set a tone for the game where I am interested in Stevie Johnson building upon a couple of very solid performances against Revis last year, that I am quite interested in the Jets best player on D know that he is going to have to work hard all day.

The Jets are used to being quite certain that Revis is at least not gonna need any help and that there is a fair chance he is gonna shut down the opposing lead receiver and greatly restrict the opponents offensive scheme.

One of the best things the Bills can do for the run game is to force Revis back on his heels the whole game so that not only are they short their best NT and a hard-hitting safety but Revis is not able to look inside first but is thinking about the passing game. Running your strenght against their weakness makes good sense, but quite frankly I like our blockers more as a strength on passing rather than them demonstrating to date that they are a good running unit.

My sense is that the Jets know they are in deep doo-doo against the run, and will be pumped to do what they can to stop the Bills from establishing a grind it out approach.

I simply do not have the confidence (yet) in our O and its run attack to set the tone for the game purely based on their being able to push a even a weakened opponent around.

Make my first play a play action fake which almost certainly will suck the Jets depleted defense into trying to stopp the run. This will give even Fitzy a bunch of time to let Stevie put a double move on Revis and catch a relatively short pass but have space to run after the catch.

Once the Jets are thinking hard about how to deal with the potential for a Bills O willing to pass and amazingly whether to help Revis out, then the Jets run D is not only missing two of their key run defenders but the second string guys in there are leaning back instead of leaning forward and FJ and Spiller will get to pick their holes.

I would rather see Revis be a shut-down CB because he has figured out how to beat our prime WR than have him hold SJ without a reception in the first half because we never throw to him.

The best thing this team can do for the running games is to demonstrate a willingness to throw the ball right from the start.

But then perhaps you have more confidence than I do on the ability of our guys to simply beat the Jets with our runnng power.

I think we need a full playbook and a 60 minute effort to win. I have not seen enough production from our Fitz led O to believe in them simply blowing through even the depleted Jets squad using half their playbook. Perhaps you have more confidence in our O than I have.

I think what scares me most about this game is what chans plan is. There is no question that in the talent department, OVERALL, we dominate. However, if chan runs this 4 and 5 wide crap as a base offense (against a D that chan and fitz has acknowledged as being hard to read), we will probably fall behind. If we fall behind, we continue the futile throwing only offense...if the jets know you are throwing every down, we could very easily lose this game...I love this team we have though, offense and defense...so much more talent than any bills team in years...this win is in the hands of chan....PLEASE pull through for us chan!

Btw, cheers to all of you and I hope you all get to enjoy the game somewhere!

GO BILLS!

Bills-34

Jets-28

I dont care HOW good their run defense is supposed to be........make them prove it......

- Lots of 2 TE sets.......

- Lots of carries for both FJ and Spiller

- We now have the defense to back up a running game plane.........stick with it. Let Fitz work off play action

Very good preview here by Brian Galliford, who did a similarly nice analysis of the changes Chan made between Game 1 v Jets and Game 2 last year.

Expect frequent 2 TE sets and 2 TE/1 RB sets, both for extra blocking and for uncertainty. But don't expect Chan to employ a run-first offense or abandon the pass.

Chan will run his game plan, and no one elses. You will likely see play-action - possibly a lot of it.

Fitz passed for 264 yds, 26 of 39 for 67% completion, 3 TD, and 0 INTs in the 2nd Jets game last year and that was with a banged-up OL and Brad Smith as his top receiver.

CJ Spiller and Tashard Choice managed a mighty 86 yds on the ground. With results like that, for the love of budda or whatever, why would a Bills fan suggest Fitz should not throw the ball?

How about let's try what worked pretty well last year until it's proven ineffective?

I think what scares me most about this game is what chans plan is. There is no question that in the talent department, OVERALL, we dominate. However, if chan runs this 4 and 5 wide crap as a base offense (against a D that chan and fitz has acknowledged as being hard to read), we will probably fall behind.

I can be wrong and often am, I don't think you need to worry about the empty sets against the Jets. Unless there's some kind of trickery and Chan figures out how to run from 'em.

I never understood the obsession with predicting the first play of the offense. Usually people want a hail mary or something else dramatic. With around 65 offensive plays over 4 quarters, is the first one more important than any of the others? Nope. Are NFL players stupid enough to bite on a play action on the first snap and then honor the run from that point forward? Nope.

Don't be surprised if Pouha is starting tomorrow... Rex needs to play his games... I still think the Bills will run on these guys... Go Bills!!!

I could be wrong, frequently am, but I think that once a player is declared out he's out.

What I hope we'll see tomorrow is Freddy & CJ on the field together. No huddle, both lined up in the backfield. Fitz either calling plays or getting them from the sidelines. Split one wide on occassion. Run from the two back set on occassion and everything inbetween.

With our WR corp what it is I think that this is our best option. Keep the jests personnel on the field, don't allow substitutions and use the team's flexibility to turn a RB into a WR and vice versa. Find the mismatch and exploit it.

I could be wrong, frequently am, but I think that once a player is declared out he's out.

Depends on where the declaring has taken place, I think, Beerball.

Once a player has been declared inactive for the game, I think he's out. But that happens right before gametime, yes?

The Friday Injury report is really a tool for betting and FF as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what happens if he's listed as "out" there, but Pou'ha is listed as "questionable".

So we may well see him, just as we may well see SJ

Matter of fact, there's only one thing that Chan likes less than the budda and that's the running game.

:thumbsup: The running game and throwing to the TE as the primary.

Asking Chan Gailey to NOT throw the ball is like asking him to not breathe.

Last season Gailey seemed determined to copy cat the Patriot offense despite the fact he doesn't have Tom Brady at QB, Welker, Gronk or Hernandez. Plus, he doesn't have the type of O line like Brady has that lets him float around in the pocket for 7+ seconds.

What the Bills had last season after week 8 was a banged up O line with the best lineman on IR, one decent WR in SJ, and a banged up QB in Fitz. That didn't stop Gailey from calling constant 4-5 WR sets all game long.

Bills fans can only dream about putting the ball in the Bills best offensive weapon all game long.... Fred Jackson getting 25+ touches = win!

If we had a physical kick a** line you would have a point- but we don't

Yes, we do.

I tend to agree with the "IF" comment from Scotts.

Those who love our O line like to mention how many YPC FredEx and CJ had. But here are a couple contrary observations...

We were last in the league at 3rd and short conversions. Dead last. If you followed the Bills last season, you know our O Line just didn't produce much push in obvious running situations. They did however produce holes when Chan's play calling got the defense on their heels.

Another interesting factoid, Freddie led the NFL in yards after contact. In other words, he was getting most of his yards on his own. He was not typically running through gaping holes.

Thankfully, this is NOT the same O Line as last year. Wood is healthy and Bell was replaced by Glenn. It remains to be seen how physical this line is. IF they can indeed push back defenders and create running lanes, I would love to see us run more. Otherwise, I just repeat the mantra, "In Chan I trust."

BTW, it's "Buddha" not "budda"

Edited by hondo in seattle

I dont care HOW good their run defense is supposed to be........make them prove it......

- We now have the defense to back up a running game plane.........stick with it. Let Fitz work off play action

Since when have the Bills been a fan of play action? It would be nice tho'.

This is starting to sound like Gailey and Ryan being the Vizzini chrachter in the Princess Bride lodged in a battle of wits against the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Vizzini constructs these ornate plots based on what he assumes his opponent is really trying to do but is ultimately killed because the Dread Pirate simply over powers Vizzini's too clever by half thinking by taking a much more straight-forward approach to winning this game he has designed.

If in fact Gailey/Ryan are engaged in a similar type of overthinking, the likely key to this game will be one team fallimg back on something simple but outside of the box to overwhelm the opponent.

What is Gailey's Ibocaine for this game?

I think what scares me most about this game is what chans plan is. There is no question that in the talent department, OVERALL, we dominate. However, if chan runs this 4 and 5 wide crap as a base offense (against a D that chan and fitz has acknowledged as being hard to read), we will probably fall behind. If we fall behind, we continue the futile throwing only offense...if the jets know you are throwing every down, we could very easily lose this game...I love this team we have though, offense and defense...so much more talent than any bills team in years...this win is in the hands of chan....PLEASE pull through for us chan!

Btw, cheers to all of you and I hope you all get to enjoy the game somewhere!

GO BILLS!

Bills-34

Jets-28

Jets scoring 28Pts???? Not happening. No way, no how, nadda ain't gonna happen.

Why shouldn't Fitz be allowed to throw the ball? I agree with running the ball because I think Fred is a top back and CJ is a great 2nd option but to say don't let Fitz throw is asinine.

At the jets last year Fitz was 26/39 264 yds 3/0 TD/Int and 111.5 QB rating. No reason not to let him throw.

Doesn't matter what you think of Fitzpatrick; that's just a sound strategy.

How in the world did we not win that game?

Couldn't stop the run and Sanchez KILLED us with play action as a result. He's very good at play fakes. Not so good when he can't do that. And he's putrid under pressure.

GO BILLS!!!