Bills bring back Ruvell Martin

nichebiche

Agree that it would have been nice to see Namaan but Martin's value on special teams can't be disputed with Brooks out and Smith hurt. He's a damn good gunner and it makes sense from that standpoint alone.

GO BILLS!!!

Ugh. Strongly dislike Martin, guy has hands of stone.

I think the move is entirely predicated on special teams. I too would have liked to have seen it go to Roosevelt but Martin's strength is special teams and that is where Brooks would have seen most of his playing time early on. Seems like a gunner for gunner swap here.

I get why but so disappointed Naaman Roosevelt didn't get the call. Gailey values special teamers. It's the only reason to keep bringing back Martin. He certainly can't catch a ball.

PTR

Martin caught only one fewer pass than Roosevelt this preseason -- and I didn't see him drop anything.

itd be very rare that either guy plays a ton of time at wr. either would get more snaps at special teams - makes sense to bring in the special teamer.

and hes not as bad at wr as this board likes to claim.

plus, all the wrs this board has become obsessed with are still available. they know the plays and can be picked up on a weeks notice if anyone goes down. two are even still practicing with us.

I saw him drop plenty last year.

So players can't improve? Look, we're talking about a receiver who will only enter the game on offense if something devastating happens, but can contribute regularly on ST. It's really no surprise at all.

Agree that it would have been nice to see Namaan but Martin's value on special teams can't be disputed with Brooks out and Smith hurt. He's a damn good gunner and it makes sense from that standpoint alone.

GO BILLS!!!

Excellent point, losing Brooks meant losing a ST'r. Our 5th WR is rarely going to see the field on passing downs (Spiller/Smith/Chandler will be in before him), but with Brooks out will be counted on for ST's. I'm sure this is the reasoning behind Nix/Gailey's decision.

itd be very rare that either guy plays a ton of time at wr. either would get more snaps at special teams - makes sense to bring in the special teamer.

and hes not as bad at wr as this board likes to claim.

plus, all the wrs this board has become obsessed with are still available. they know the plays and can be picked up on a weeks notice if anyone goes down. two are even still practicing with us.

Also excellent points, not much I can even add to that...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Martin caught only one fewer pass than Roosevelt this preseason -- and I didn't see him drop anything.

I did. Several in fact. Right in the hands. But obviously it wasn't enough to cost him a job. He's not here to catch passes.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So players can't improve? Look, we're talking about a receiver who will only enter the game on offense if something devastating happens, but can contribute regularly on ST. It's really no surprise at all.

I will concede the point on special teams. It's obvious that's why he is back. As for the possibility of his improvement as a WR? Not gonna happen. He has bounced around the league for a few years now. He's a veteran, not an up and comer. He is what he is. A solid gunner with hands of stone and absolutely no game breaking ability. I guess I was just hoping for a WR with the potential to make our WR corp better.

Edited by GoBillsDB

I get why but so disappointed Naaman Roosevelt didn't get the call. Gailey values special teamers. It's the only reason to keep bringing back Martin. He certainly can't catch a ball.

PTR

Yeah, I don't get this at all. Naaman is a much better reciever. Regardless of how much time the 5th reciever would/will get, at least Naaman has the abiltiy to make a play on the field. Its a long season and recievers go down.

Whenever I saw Martin in the game, he could not make a play and was incapable of going after/fighting for the ball to help out his qb. Other than being taller, Martin has nothing on Naaman.

Chuck Lester gave Ruvell his compromising photos of Ralph on his way out the door.

Yeah, I don't get this at all. Naaman is a much better reciever. Regardless of how much time the 5th reciever would/will get, at least Naaman has the abiltiy to make a play on the field. Its a long season and recievers go down.

Whenever I saw Martin in the game, he could not make a play and was incapable of going after/fighting for the ball to help out his qb. Other than being taller, Martin has nothing on Naaman.

I think the Bills are looking at their roster and seeing better upside from Easley and Aiken, and they know they can just give Roosevelt a call in a pinch because he's local and not on many teams' radar. It's kind of abusive but that's the cost of doing business if you're a fringe NFLer. He has had time on the PS and he's not eligible; otherwise he might be there already. Right now he's the equivalent of the Bills' booty call in desperation.

I did. Several in fact. Right in the hands. But obviously it wasn't enough to cost him a job. He's not here to catch passes.

PTR

The only play i recall is a drop this year. Last year i recall more of them.

i am sure he must be better than that.

not sure whats up with this dropping/pickup.

if a receiver goes down, we can call roosevelt on monday, or the monday after that, or if its at practice on a thursday he could probably get to the facility in time to only miss a few reps that afternoon. not to mention the two receivers on the PS.

I think I may be the only one, but I don't think Ruvell is all that bad of a WR. I agree that I have seen him drop passes last year. But he made a monster stud circus catch in the 2nd Patsies game last year and he looked solid catching the football in pre season. AND I've seen him make many good kicking teams plays. So I'm glad he's back.

I think I may be the only one, but I don't think Ruvell is all that bad of a WR. I agree that I have seen him drop passes last year. But he made a monster stud circus catch in the 2nd Patsies game last year and he looked solid catching the football in pre season. AND I've seen him make many good kicking teams plays. So I'm glad he's back.

well you might be the only one.ha!!

i hope your insight is clearer than mine reddogblitz. i just want us to win.

Would have liked to see Hagan come back. I suppose there is a reason the guy can't stick on a roster,,,but of all the guys they cut, I liked him most, and thought he could contribute...I get the special teams angle...but how about the WR's who can catch the ball angle?

Would have liked to see Hagan come back. I suppose there is a reason the guy can't stick on a roster,,,but of all the guys they cut, I liked him most, and thought he could contribute...I get the special teams angle...but how about the WR's who can catch the ball angle?

if you are number 5-6 on the depth chart, you arent going to be running many routes yet alone catching balls. a 5th receiver that doesnt play special temas is unlikely to even be active. if some guys go down we can bring back any of the others if its thought that we need to fill a WR role. today we felt like we needed to fill a special teams role.

we may have only kept 4 on the actual 53, but with brad smith, and now martin, and the 2 on the practice squad, and the roosevelt and hagan still being available.... we essentially 8 at practice every week, and 2 more on a moments notice.... its just we arent dressing them in the 46.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't like Martin but he has value to the team and to this game, especially because Brooks as a gunner is out, and BSmith, too, is likely not going to be on the P and KO teams, which he normally is in an important position (on the outside contain on KO and right in the middle on P). Hagan and Roosevelt add no value as a #5 WR because they would never get in the game and likely wouldn't be active on game day.

Glad you see it too. I thought I was losing my mind!

Just another move made by Buddy & Co that I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER understand.

We keep hanging on to a useless backup QB (Tyler Thigpen), but an extremely promising young reciever in need of some SOUND COACHING, gets s#!t-canned. -Wtf are we doing, people? -How is this rebuilding?

Glad you see it too. I thought I was losing my mind!

Just another move made by Buddy & Co that I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER understand.

We keep hanging on to a useless backup QB (Tyler Thigpen), but an extremely promising young reciever in need of some SOUND COACHING, gets s#!t-canned. -Wtf are we doing, people? -How is this rebuilding?

They are obviously needing a scapegoat for Shep and Williams....this is to give the fans something to B word about......

In all seriousness my opinion is Chan talked about how he had never been in a situation where is keeping 2 kickers on the team so that everything is a touchback....but he is still nervous about not keeping a good special teams gunner.....and for all the things Ruvell Martin is not good at...HE IS good at being a special teams gunner.......

It still amazes me how someone who can excell at something like special teams cannot find a way to be a more physical receiver

I remember a GB fan saying Martin was actually a good back-up there who ran good routes and caught the ball well. So I'm hoping his hands of stone are just a temporary problem because he was easy to dislike last year and - as a rule - I like all players in the red, white and blue of the Buffalo Bills.

PTR

Pretty much. Or Hagan. Or Easley. Both better receivers than Martin. I hear he runs a great route but the whole point is to catch the ball when it gets there.

According to ProFootballFocus Premium Stats:

QB Rating Fitz had in 2011 throwing to each receiver

Stevie Johnson--------------77.3

Namaan Roosevelt---------75.3

David Nelson----------------72.0

BRad Smith------------------61.0

Donald Jones---------------55.0

Derek Hagan----------------54.7

Ruvell Martin ----------------36.0

However, PFF also says that the two top Special Teams players on the Bills are Corey McIntyre and Ruvell Martin.

#3 is Chris White.

Edited by Astrobot