Mark Asper claimed by Vikings

GoBills!

He's not? He started last year at LT, and if you check the line up opening day Im sure he will be starting at RT.

You keep saying something, I guess we just don't understand what that is...

The problem was his initial post was junk (not to knock you coach, we all miss on them sometimes). I get what he's trying to say but doing so in a thread about asper and bringing in lynch was a fail.

Instead he should've focused on what late rounders from the last few years have done. A wide majority have done nothing.

From easleys class we have gilyard on waivers (already burned through 3 teams), Kafka waived for Trent, Griffen with 4 sacks and 2 arrests, Lindley who was waived by the eagles (but resigned a year later), Bruce Campbell on his second team, Easley waived, wootten has 9 tackles, Stuckey with 12 tackles, joe McKnight (enough said), Phillip Dillard cut after one season, Gibson on his 6th team, garrett graham with 1 career catch, edds on his third team, woods who didn't make that years roster and is on team 5, Eric Norwood cut this year, owusa-ansa on his 3rd team, ej Wilson on his 2nd team (cut year one), Jason fox played in 4 games so far, McClendon cut after 1 year, muckelroy cut this year.

That's just using wiki, which most of these guys have not seen updated much so even more may have been cut yesterday.

Granted, guys like Hernandez and Atkins are great picks, and there are a couple ok guys not mentioned.... Easley qualifies as a pretty average pick for that years fourth when you really dig into it. I wouldn't knock nix to hard on him being waived.

To put carder in perspective -multiple guys never made the roster in the 4th that year (and I have no idea who was practice squad additionally).

Edited by NoSaint

Mark Asper was claimed off waivers by the vikings today...I guess cross him off the list for the PS..

More draft picks down the drain. I don't know why they drafted any lineman besides Glenn when there were good players available like; LB Terrell Manning and Big Safety George ILoka 6'4" 225 would have great for covering TEs

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Fair enough, I understand you now.

I don't think anyone can quibble at cutting Easley in his 3rd year. He caught some tough breaks,

Easley caught "some tough breaks"? He was drafted out of... UConn after a single decent year. The he is injured before week one. The team keeps him on IR. Then he has some mysterious heart ailment and they keep him around for another year in the tub. Then he has many, many months to get in shape and know the playbook, he comes back completely healthy and low and behold--he's not good enough to make the team after all.

He got a million breaks. He got 2 years' salary that he wouldn't have gotten if he didn't have his heart condition--he would have been dumped last summer instead--at the latest.

He got a ton of breaks.

There is deep wisdom in PTR's one-liners...perhaps you're just not bright enough to pick it out.

It would take an idiot savant, I believe, to find the wisdom in Promotional Robot's automated responses.

More draft picks down the drain. I don't know why they drafted any lineman besides Glenn when there were good players available like; LB Terrell Manning and Big Safety George ILoka 6'4" 225 would have great for covering TEs

Couldnt they have sucked and been cut as well?

Most fans have convinced themselves that just about anybody could have done better then Modrak and Jauron. Yet these past two years saw 4-10 / 6-10 teams that this regime couldn't even find decent back ups at some positions.

That 2010 draft is basically a wash considering how many positions were in need of quality players and yet no starters from that draft. In 3 years Nix has found better players off the waiver wire then he has found in the draft past round 3.

If the problem wasn't entirely Modrak, it makes me wonder if the scouts the bills employ are worth a damn. Teams like Green Bay find so many good players in the later rounds, what are the bills doing wrong?

nix has been ok, but the bar was low to begin with. dareus was there, but picks like carrington, troupe, leave you wondering. it would be great to hit on them all, or even more than a few, but those drafts under levy and, modrak were brutal. i think the combo of free agency , stability with the coaching staff has helped. nelson, jones, were great finds. it is just a crapshoot and anybody that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

The biggest problem is not the actual drafting, but more often the changing of the coaching staff and the style of play. We have been constantly caught in the scheme change of going from a 3-4 (Phillips) to a traditional 4-3 (Williams) to the crappy Tampa-2 (Jauron) to the ill-advised 3-4 (Edwards) and now back to the traditional 4-3(Wannstedt). That is 5 scheme changes in 12 seasons....Where is the continuity to building a good team.....Good teams like the Steelers and Patriots may have changed their coordinators, but their scheme has not changed much (may have evolved depending on the necessity).

Every year you draft players for the current scheme, only to have that scheme over turned....Good players like Pat Williams, Takeo Spikes, Poz, Kevin Mitchell, Whitner have been caught in this scheme-change flux and the Bills have not been able to settle down to play one style of defense.

The Bills needs to stop this and pick a staff and scheme and stick with it for at least 4 seasons together. They are more likely to have success with it and the draft is likely to have better returns as indicated with the drafting on the offense.

Wrong. Buddy was GM.

It would be far more useful to compare "Buddy's" 2010 results that you are so critical of to the results of other GMs that had been on the job for such a short period of time prior to the draft. What was it, 3 months? With much of the old staff in place? You are criticizing the 2010 draft in a vacuum. Context is your friend.

WRT the 2011 draft, there hasnt been enough time to to truly assess the class. That said, are you suggesting that you are better at evaluating college talent than an NFL FO? You do understand that it's not just Nxx making these picks, correct? You criticize him for not filling backup QB and completely ignore the insane run on QBs that occured last year. Ponder 12 overall? Idiot.

Now in 2012 you B word about an R6 getting cut? Even if the pick was a mistake, as you claim, it's nice to see A.) marginal talent not making the team and B.) a GM admit the player picked wasnt a fit and move on. Would you prefer the FO cling to "their guy" just because they picked him? If so, Tom Donahoe says hi.

Grow up and stop acting like you know better. You don't.

It would be far more useful to compare "Buddy's" 2010 results that you are so critical of to the results of other GMs that had been on the job for such a short period of time prior to the draft. What was it, 3 months? With much of the old staff in place? You are criticizing the 2010 draft in a vacuum. Context is your friend.

WRT the 2011 draft, there hasnt been enough time to to truly assess the class. That said, are you suggesting that you are better at evaluating college talent than an NFL FO? You do understand that it's not just Nxx making these picks, correct? You criticize him for not filling backup QB and completely ignore the insane run on QBs that occured last year. Ponder 12 overall? Idiot.

Now in 2012 you B word about an R6 getting cut? Even if the pick was a mistake, as you claim, it's nice to see A.) marginal talent not making the team and B.) a GM admit the player picked wasnt a fit and move on. Would you prefer the FO cling to "their guy" just because they picked him? If so, Tom Donahoe says hi.

Interesting post on a number of levels. I sense stress in your life...

The only people I'm claiming to know better than are those who keep insisting that Nix is a master drafter. The evidence just isn't there.

The only people I'm claiming to know better than are those who keep insisting that Nix is a master drafter. The evidence just isn't there.

Kind of a stretch from your earlier claim in this very thread that "his drafts have been horrible", no? Let me guess, you are a binge and purge type of guy.

As far as stress in my life, thanks for your concern. :) I've got two youngsters, so sure, there's some. I'm glad that as well as infallible NFL draft critic, you are also able to add zen master to your impressive resume. I'll be sure to lean on you when the kids are especially challenging!

I haven't seen you produce any evidence that he isn't above average yet either though. You point towards late round failures but don't compare them at all to any type of baseline, or discuss the strategy being implemented. Just name a few guys not here and that's it. Truth is (as I outlined by going through easleys peers in the fourth) few really contribute much from the 4/5th on. Above that is still a crapshoot and outside of troupes injuries which render him tough to judge - hasn't been ugly either.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't agree with a lot of the player moves that we make, however I do believe we now have what it take to compete for our division.

Any chance that we sent Levi Brown to Canada to get more experience to bring him back later? Loved his rocket arm.

As of now it looks like our needs are: QB, WR & LBs.

Doesn't anyone recall the report out of camp about coach D constantly screaming at Asper? There's a reason he's not on the active roster guys.

In all likelyhood, Minny saw him play well against one of their scrubs and decided they'd rather sign Asper when he hit the PS.

I could not have said it better myself. We're so conditioned to think that the FO will keep every draft pick that we fail to notice the obvious; this team is getting better and consequently it is more likely Buddy will let picks walk. If they had the room to keep all of these late round picks I'd find it troubling given the 2012 offseason.

And again, be mad about the jokers who drafted Lynch (St. Marv, from the other thread). Don't be mad at the guys who traded a RB who, sure, works hard, but has tons of red flags and is one more incident from a year's suspension. Especially when superior talent is still on the roster.

This.

Just to add to what you've written: a few months ago I read an article from a Seattle newspaper. The article pointed out that Lynch was averaging nearly one yard less per carry than the Seahawks' other main RB. (I forget the guy's name.)

When I read that, I remembered the fact that Fred Jackson typically had a significantly higher per-carry average than Lynch, when both players were in Bills uniforms.

Any time you take a player 12th overall, you expect a lot more than that! :angry: :angry:

The fact that the Bills couldn't get more than a fourth and sixth rounder out of him when they traded him away also says something about how other GMs regarded him.

The list of things Marv did right as GM starts and ends with Kyle Williams. That's it! Nothing else Marv did as GM was the right move. His first round picks were either serious disappointments or outright busts. The same with all his other draft picks, except of course Kyle Williams. His free agent signings were all overpaid, overhyped, and couldn't get the job done. Melvin Fowler? Peerless Price version 2? Derrick Dockery? Larry Triplett? We're not exactly talking about the makings of a Pro Bowl team here.

On top of Marv's terrible drafts and his even worse free agent signings, he also hired the wrong head coach.

DONT YOU KNOW EVERYONE HERE IS A DRAFT EXPERT I MEAN RESELL WILSON HASENT PLAYED A REAL GAME, WE DINDNT PICK HIM SO HE MUST BE A HALL OF FAMER

Edited by mike6683

Can't argue with you there, Coach. The 2010 draft doesn't look good top to bottom. Moats looks like a decent late rd. find out of that class, and CJ has some talent, but hasn't made the impact you'd hope out of a top 10 pick yet (perhaps due to circumstance as much as talent). But, I would definitely have hoped to get more out of Troup, Carrington, and Easley, which appears to be absolutely nothing at this point.

I would have too at this point.

To be fair, Easley had a season ending injury and then a heart problem, and Troup has been plagued by injuries.

Sometimes bad things like this happen to players no matter where they are drafted.

My point was not about the Lynch trade - it was about the misperception that we should stock up on draft picks because Nix knows what to do with them. He doesn't. There have been more players released from the last three draft classes than there are starters. Nix is three drafts in and yet is still scrambling to fill key holes like backup QB and no. 2 WR. He has yet to draft a QB who can play. I just don't see where he gets this reputation as a maverick drafter. It's a joke.

As I've always said, the goal is to convert draft picks into contributing players, not the opposite.

As far as the draft goes, Nix drafted Dareus but all the other key contributors on the team were either acquired before he got here (F Jackson, S Johnson, K Williams, E Wood, A Levitre, R Fitzpatrick, J Byrd) or were free agents (Chandler, M Williams, N Barnett). Spiller contributes some but for the 9th overall pick you might expect a little more. We'll see if this year's draft class is any better but Nix's best work to date has been in FA not the draft.

Edited by vincec

Spiller contributes some but for the 9th overall pick you might expect a little more

I expect Spiller to get a lot of touches this year, including receptions out of the backfield. If defenses put 8 men in the box to stop the run or out of a lack of respect for our deep passing game, a bubble screen can be very effective and Spiller should be effective doing this.

This.

Just to add to what you've written: a few months ago I read an article from a Seattle newspaper. The article pointed out that Lynch was averaging nearly one yard less per carry than the Seahawks' other main RB. (I forget the guy's name.)

When I read that, I remembered the fact that Fred Jackson typically had a significantly higher per-carry average than Lynch, when both players were in Bills uniforms.

Any time you take a player 12th overall, you expect a lot more than that! :angry: :angry:

The fact that the Bills couldn't get more than a fourth and sixth rounder out of him when they traded him away also says something about how other GMs regarded him.

The list of things Marv did right as GM starts and ends with Kyle Williams. That's it! Nothing else Marv did as GM was the right move. His first round picks were either serious disappointments or outright busts. The same with all his other draft picks, except of course Kyle Williams. His free agent signings were all overpaid, overhyped, and couldn't get the job done. Melvin Fowler? Peerless Price version 2? Derrick Dockery? Larry Triplett? We're not exactly talking about the makings of a Pro Bowl team here.

On top of Marv's terrible drafts and his even worse free agent signings, he also hired the wrong head coach.

Lynch was a starter here and is the starting RB in Seattle and most of the Pundits rank him in the top 10-15 RBs in the league

Whitner started for the Bills for FIVE years and continues to start for the 49ers

Kyle Williams starts for the Bills and went to the Pro Bowl

Levy was the reason Jackson was even added to our team

Trent Edwards did start for the Bills for many games.

Marv may have goofed in drafting his right side of OL in Dockery and Walker, but then so did Nix with his goofy signing of Green. Marv may have signed the crappy Jauron...but then Nix did allow Gailey to hire Edwards only to fire him after 2 seasons...and also changing their style of play from 3-4 to 4-3...at least the Jauron led team consistently used the stupid Tampa-2.

I don't think Marv had that bad of a GM position. He solidified and re-united the organization after the 4 years of dictatorship under Donahoe....He bought fans back to the stadium. Give credit to him where he is due. At this point Marv and Nix have the same record.....zero playoffs for their respective squads.

The list of things Marv did right as GM starts and ends with Kyle Williams. That's it! Nothing else Marv did as GM was the right move.

George Wilson and Fred Jackson say hi, but generally speaking you're right. Brad Butler was also a good pick - you can't always project that a guy will face injuries and lose his desire.

So I guess your point is you would rather have Lynch than Fred Jackson, right? Otherwise, not really sure what your point is. Lynch was not a good performer for the Bills when he was here. The bills also got a 4th which turned out to be Hairston I believe. 6th round picks do not always work out. Sometimes, players who you might like to bring back on the PS get claimed.

i'd rather have lynch and fred jackson and then have used spiller's pick on a linebacker

i'd rather have lynch and fred jackson and then have used spiller's pick on a linebacker

Would that have been Sean weatherspoon at 19 or Darryl Washington who went at 47 and was the next lb after that? Note also that we swapped defensive scheme from 34 at the time to 43 now - making spiller even more valuable than a lb there.

So

The 5th and 6th rounders couldn't crack into our 53 man roster = these 5th and 6th round players Nix drafted are bad = Nix sucks

but

The 5h and 6th rounders we released are signed by other teams = these 5th and 6th round players aren't that bad and have potential = Nix still sucks?

Is it still cool to blame Nix on Carder and Asper not making 53 man roster after they are signed by other teams? Or now it is more cool to talk about 2010 draft?