Bills 2010 Draft... really terrible

HeHateMe

So it was pure coincidence that Gailey was insisting on a "waterbug" running back leading up to the draft and lo, they got one at 9 who just happened to be BPA. Face it: they went into that draft focused on NEED and obsessed with particular players to fill those needs. The result was a complete debacle.

Was it? Last time I checked Spiller looked pretty good when FJ went down......but dont let get in the way of your hate.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it? Last time I checked Spiller looked pretty good when FJ went down......but dont let get in the way of your hate.

Right, back to the You're a bad fan angle. You're defending a 1st round pick blown on a backup RB, the easiest position to fill on the entire roster, in a draft that was desperately needed to re-stock the cupboard. But don't let that get in the way of your worship.

I haven't ignored you - I was working, at my job, all afternoon.

You and others do not understand what BPA means. It means best player, regardless of need. It does NOT mean a four-year starter - if a "one-year wonder" is the best player when you're picking, he counts. And yes it can include hindsight - why can't it? Clearly JPP was the best player available at that spot. Nix the master scout didn't perceive it, but Jerry Reese (who is not only a better scout, but a much better team-builder as well) did realize it, and made the correct pick.

Is it fair to judge Nix based upon hindsight only, for not drafting one player with a short track record who everyone else passed on? NO. But when you consider that he proceeded to blow the next three picks in a row by drafting for need, it's fair to question whether his head was up his a$$ for that entire offseason, draft included.

Assuming you're actually asking this question, here's the answer:

You can't use hindsight when drafting a player. Are you really asserting that assessing the best available player in a draft, at the time of the draft, can include hindsight from 2 seasons in the future? Because that's what it sounds like.

If that's not what you're saying, then please present your argument as to why--at the time of the 2010 draft--you whole-heartedly believed that Jason Pierre-Paul was the best player available.

I'm eager to see this.

Well the fact of the matter was that Troup and Carrington were projected to go wayyy lower than where we took them. Are the rankings always right? Of course not. But those two guys would have been there two rounds later respectively. The fact that we passed on guys like Gronkowski, Angerer and Navorro Bowman is sickening. Again, no GM is perfect but that's bad.

Armchair GMs...

Troup was the last prototype DT available and he was not getting past anyone beyond the 2nd round. When you have the worst run defense in football the previous season, you are expected to make that invested on a starting caliber DT.

The same goes with Carrington. The Bills needed DEs to generate Pass rush and they were looking for one to plane DE in the 3-4 and his size fit. It is unfortunate that we had a scrub like Edwards running the 3-4 and not being able to put a situational pass rusher on the field at the right time.

Right, back to the You're a bad fan angle. You're defending a 1st round pick blown on a backup RB, the easiest position to fill on the entire roster, in a draft that was desperately needed to re-stock the cupboard. But don't let that get in the way of your worship.

I could not agree more. Most teams in the NFL have superb running games as a result.

Yeah, good teams don't draft first-round running backs.

The Superbowl champs didn't draft one this year.

The 2010 superbowl champs didn't draft one last year.

The superbowl champion Steelers didn't draft one.

The Patriots didn't draft one during the superbowl years.

Oh wait, I forgot about David Wilson, Mark Ingram, Rashard Mendenhall, and Lawrence Maroney.

Guess my point is pretty much moot.

Yeah, good teams don't draft first-round running backs.

The Superbowl champs didn't draft one this year.

The 2010 superbowl champs didn't draft one last year.

The superbowl champion Steelers didn't draft one.

The Patriots didn't draft one during the superbowl years.

Oh wait, I forgot about David Wilson, Mark Ingram, Rashard Mendenhall, and Lawrence Maroney.

Guess my point is pretty much moot.

The Bills were not a good team when they blew a luxury pick on Spiller. Ironically, RB was the sole position of strength on that team.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

After Troup going on IR for the season I was just thinking back to how awful Nix's first draft was for this team... I mean it is really terrible.

Spiller - hasn't produced enough at this point to justify the pick although a lot of upside here (best pick)

Troup - IR for 2nd straight season

Carrington - likely to be cut this year, never done anything as a Bill

Easley - injured the entire time he has been on the team, likely to be cut

Wang - trash

Moats - should make the team (2nd best pick.. not saying much)

Batten - likely to be cut

Levi Brown - trash

Calloway - trash

After cuts we are likely to only have Spiller and Moats playing this year... what a disaster this was.

Your thoughts?

it all depends. if spiller turns improves upon his performances from the last few games of last season and moats ends up being a good starting linebacker for us then it's really not that bad. two guys making an impact from that class is not bad. if troupe can get right and contribute next year, even better. but yeah, if everyone $#!@& the bed then it wasn't a very good draft.

ya if moats can start a few seasons and spiller goes on to have a decent career the draft isn't too bad, still not good but not a disaster. if moats doesnt pan out and spiller never really breaks out then the draft will go down as another epic bills draft fail.

So it was pure coincidence that Gailey was insisting on a "waterbug" running back leading up to the draft and lo, they got one at 9 who just happened to be BPA. Face it: they went into that draft focused on NEED and obsessed with particular players to fill those needs. The result was a complete debacle.

Several fit that bill. If spiller was gone but we took Mccluster in the second you could yell the same thing.

Turns out the best one was ranked higher than 9 and fell to us.

Wrong again. Spiller was ranked in the top 10 prior to the draft.

Mike Mayock: #5 overall: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d817695a5/article/williams-jumps-to-no-7-prospect-big-12-dominates-top-10

Scout.com: #8 overall: http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&yr=2010

NFL draft scout: #8 overall: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2010&sortby=rateall&order=ASC

#10 overall: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/prospects/

But go ahead and continue to pretend that Spiller wasn't a top prospect in the 2010 draft.

2008 - BUFFALO BILLS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 11 Leodis McKelvin CB Troy 2 41 James Hardy WR Indiana 3 72 Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech 4 114 Reggie Corner DB Akron 4 132 Derek Fine TE Kansas 5 147 Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State 6 179 Xavier Omon RB Northwest Missouri State 7 219 Demetrius Bell T Northwestern State-Louisiana 7 224 Steve Johnson WR Kentucky 7 251 Kennard Cox CB Pittsburgh

stevie is the only thing saving this stinker

holy crap 2002 and 2000 are shockingly bad also lol

The problem with him isn't his stats. Sometimes the O line would make a seam and Spiller would be 20 yards down the field before the D even knew what the hell was going on which was always fun to watch and (rightly so in my opinion) gives fans something to be hopeful about. But the next 3 or more carries he would run towards the sideline for no gain. So for those 4 carries as an example, his YPC would be 5 (even more if the initial run was more than 20 yards). But that doesn't do much to sustain a drive. Spiller has explosive speed, but until he learns how to use it properly by going north instead of east/west consistently it isn't going to do the Bills much good over the course of a game or season.

Maybe this is the year he finally is able to put it all together. All Bills fans should hope for this. I certainly am!

So the OLine makes him look good by opening a seam for 20+ yards, but Spiller makes himself look bad when the OLine does not open a seam?

I get it. Its like the QB's winning percentage. The other 52 guys did absolutely nothing to impact the game.

The Bills were not a good team when they blew a luxury pick on Spiller. Ironically, RB was the sole position of strength on that team.

didn't the bills have a complete knucklehead with a drug problem and a hit and run that everyone wanted run out of town and a pre-breakout freddy jackson on the team? while i loved the way marshawn played for us, he just never quite seemed to fit with this team, and i would not consider that kind of baggage a position of strength.

A 3rd round pick was a ridiculous reach? Really?

I love how people throw out the injuries when making these kind of conclusions.....Easley was looking GREAT when we drafted him....then he got hurt...which is of course Nix fault.

First WR from Conneticut ever drafted! Yes that is a reach in any round.

I give passes on Troup and Easley (due to injury), and on Carrington and Batten (due to change to 4-3 scheme).

As you said, Spiller and Moats seem like good picks, and the others are trash (though I doubt expectations could be high for them inI any event).

Carrington and Batten didn't do anything before this year so don't know why you would give them passes bc of the change to 4-3

This was an awful draft after Spiller with too many reaches and small school guys. I hated the Troup pick almost as much as I hated the Hardy pick that so many on here loved...you know who you are

People can bring up Modrak all they want but in the end it was Buddy's call

Still can't believe how long Modrak was kept around

I don't get why everyone is so hung up on the 2010 draft. Getting two starters out of a draft is by no means "really terrible". Hell, New England has had a few "really terrible" drafts in the last 5 or 6 years. You know, years where not one drafted player was a starter.

The Patriots didn't go 6-10, and were desperate for so many players at so many positions. What does it say about a draft that can't produce a starter on a 4-12 team?

I guess you can ignore what your being told if you wish....(and it really isnt that hard to present the bad fan angle...your doing it all by yourself)

Spiller is a back running back because of the emergency of Freddie Jackson....definately not a bad problem to have and def NOT CJ Spillers fault

Easiest position to fill? Then why doesnt Tashard Choice look better? Because quite honestly under YOUR scenario we would be one injury away from having him as our starting RB......Lynch was in constant trouble and did not want to be here....and Freddie is up in age.

Exactly what player at that position would have restocked the cupboard.....I hear lots of complaining about WHO we picked with no viable option of WHO we should have picked.

As for my worship of Buddy Nix? Absolutely....the man has had 2 solid drafts in a row.....managed to steal ralphs wallet and fix problems in free agency.......and finally has introduced the concept of resigning your own good players instead of creating holes inthe damn that didnt need to be there.......I absolutely love the guy and love what he has done. Every GM in the league misses on players......and I like how Nix is quick to admit mistakes and make changes......Modrak was GONE after that draft.

After Troup going on IR for the season I was just thinking back to how awful Nix's first draft was for this team... I mean it is really terrible.

Spiller - hasn't produced enough at this point to justify the pick although a lot of upside here (best pick)

Wang - trash

Levi Brown - trash

Calloway - trash

After cuts we are likely to only have Spiller and Moats playing this year... what a disaster this was.

Your thoughts?

Have you enjoyed the spin?

;)

Mike Mayock: #5 overall: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d817695a5/article/williams-jumps-to-no-7-prospect-big-12-dominates-top-10

Scout.com: #8 overall: http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&yr=2010

NFL draft scout: #8 overall: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2010&sortby=rateall&order=ASC

#10 overall: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/prospects/

But go ahead and continue to pretend that Spiller wasn't a top prospect in the 2010 draft.

Show me where I said he was a bad player.

I guess you can ignore what your being told if you wish....(and it really isnt that hard to present the bad fan angle...your doing it all by yourself)

Spiller is a back running back because of the emergency of Freddie Jackson....definately not a bad problem to have and def NOT CJ Spillers fault

Easiest position to fill? Then why doesnt Tashard Choice look better? Because quite honestly under YOUR scenario we would be one injury away from having him as our starting RB......Lynch was in constant trouble and did not want to be here....and Freddie is up in age.

Exactly what player at that position would have restocked the cupboard.....I hear lots of complaining about WHO we picked with no viable option of WHO we should have picked.

As for my worship of Buddy Nix? Absolutely....the man has had 2 solid drafts in a row.....managed to steal ralphs wallet and fix problems in free agency.......and finally has introduced the concept of resigning your own good players instead of creating holes inthe damn that didnt need to be there.......I absolutely love the guy and love what he has done. Every GM in the league misses on players......and I like how Nix is quick to admit mistakes and make changes......Modrak was GONE after that draft.

First of all John let me say that this season can't start fast enough. We're fighting about history while we're two weeks away from what should be the most exciting season in a decade. So that sucks.

But the topic of this thread is the 2010 draft, and the discussion is about how it reflects on Nix. I just don't think you're being objective about it. If I'm the CEO of the Bills and I'm evaluating Nix at this point, all of his "accomplishments" need to be weighed against two MAJOR screw-ups:

1) The botched George Edwards hiring and 3-4 defense install; and

2) The 2010 draft

Both of those errors, in tandem, set this team back two years. Bills fans have become extraordinarily patient to the point that they're willing to give each new regime 3-5 years to start winning games. Excuse me if I have a different view about that. If not for (1) and (2) above, this team might have started winning games two years ago. If you're unwilling to acknowledge that, and/or think that anyone who has that view is a "bad fan," you've lost all objectivity.

Back to the 2010 draft:

I acknowledge that Spiller was considered a "blue chip" player - and I also love him as a player. But he was the wrong pick for this team at that time, and the "revisionist history" is insisting that Spiller was part of a BPA strategy for Nix & Co. He wasn't. The Bills went into that draft with several self-declared "objectives" (read: needs): a "waterbug" type running back, a 3-4 NT, a 3-4 end, a tall WR who could stretch the field, a young developmental QB, a left tackle, and a passrushing linebacker. They not only had specific needs in mind, they had specific players they had fixated on to fill those needs. They ended up with Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Easley, Levi Brown, Ed Wang, and Moats.

It was rumored that Gailey was obsessed with Spiller. There were other, similar rumors about some of the other picks: Nix stated after the draft that Levi Brown was the QB they were targeting all along, and they openly scouted him to the point where many of us on this Board knew they'd pick him before the draft. They became enamored with Carrington after he dominated senior bowl week (this was the year before Gailey coached it). Nix declared Easley to be the best blocking WR in the draft. They reportedly loved Troup's leadership as a four-year starter, team captain, etc. etc.

Almost all of these picks were flops, and it's fairly easy to see why if you take off your fan hat for a minute - you can't go into a draft focused on filling needs and focusing on specific players to fill those needs, regardless of value. That draft was the EXACT OPPOSITE of a BPA strategy. Honestly I think Nix would admit the screw-up if he was being candid.

I do hope he learned from it, but as I said, the jury is still very much out. The 2011 draft is a long way away from being declared a success. We'll just have to see if Nix learned his lesson. While the 2012 draft looks better, I'm already wondering about their approach in Round 3 - Gailey wanted a fast, vertical WR and was enamored with TJ Graham. The Bills took him much earlier than he was expected to go. In doing so, they passed on Russell Wilson, who I thought was one of the best players in the draft. So far he's proving me right (although obviously it's far too early, and we don't yet know about Graham). If Wilson turns out to be great, and Graham flops, it'll be yet another example of why you do not draft solely for need, and you do not focus on specific players. They've GOT to stop doing that.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I agree with the Modrak comments, and yes the undrafted free agents shows who Nix is in talent acquisition. I still can't believe we could've had Gronkowski. It's even worse he's a hometown boy.

With that said, Nix is doing a hell of a job as building a team. What makes me nervous is Ralph passes and someone blows up the team again which is why we had problems for 12 years. We need stability, spend wisely, and watch the Bills continue to get better.

you are also not counting the great job nix did with waiver pickups in 010 and rfa

nelson/roosevelt/jones

chandler

urbik

rinehart

brown

heard

you are also not counting the great job nix did with waiver pickups in 010 and rfa

nelson/roosevelt/jones

chandler

urbik

rinehart

brown

heard

There is a big difference with what you say here. Don't disagree with your point about Free Agents. Buddy has a good eye for Free Agents - both College and Pro. However, folks are right, 2010 was a less than stellar draft. Brian Bulaga OT was there for the taking, we chose CJ instead. And there are some picks in these last two drafts that are starting to look like misses - maybe Kelvin Sheppard.

I am of the mind set that as soon as Buddy hands of the keys to Doug Whaley, the better off the Bills as a collector of college talent will be. Not diminishing anything that Buddy has done.

If we have to assess the overall performance of Buddy Nix, then, yeah, he could have hit better on the 2010 draft and in later rounds of 2011.

However, this is also us as Bills fans turning over rocks to uncover mistakes and problems. Not every team every year hits with an A class in the draft. The Entire draft class of 2007 for the Pats are gone. Class of 2008 is almost gone as well. The 2008 NY JETS #1, the 4th overall Vernon Gholston, never panned out. You could say Miami set themselves back 10 years by not drafting Matt Ryan #1 overall in 2008, instead drafting Jake Long at Tackle.

If I have to compare how the Bills are getting built draft / waiver wire / college free agent / pro free agent, just me and not saying I am predicting a Super Bowl win, except for drafting a QB in round 1 (although I think next year's #1 is our franchise QB), the Bills are being built very similar to Pittsburgh (surprise) and Green Bay as they were builidng in the early and mid 2000 decade.

First of all John let me say that this season can't start fast enough. We're fighting about history while we're two weeks away from what should be the most exciting season in a decade. So that sucks.

But the topic of this thread is the 2010 draft, and the discussion is about how it reflects on Nix. I just don't think you're being objective about it. If I'm the CEO of the Bills and I'm evaluating Nix at this point, all of his "accomplishments" need to be weighed against two MAJOR screw-ups:

2) The 2010 draft

Both of those errors, in tandem, set this team back two years. Bills fans have become extraordinarily patient to the point that they're willing to give each new regime 3-5 years to start winning games. Excuse me if I have a different view about that. If not for (1) and (2) above, this team might have started winning games two years ago. If you're unwilling to acknowledge that, and/or think that anyone who has that view is a "bad fan," you've lost all objectivity.

Back to the 2010 draft:

I acknowledge that Spiller was considered a "blue chip" player - and I also love him as a player. But he was the wrong pick for this team at that time, and the "revisionist history" is insisting that Spiller was part of a BPA strategy for Nix & Co. He wasn't. The Bills went into that draft with several self-declared "objectives" (read: needs): a "waterbug" type running back, a 3-4 NT, a 3-4 end, a tall WR who could stretch the field, a young developmental QB, a left tackle, and a passrushing linebacker. They not only had specific needs in mind, they had specific players they had fixated on to fill those needs. They ended up with Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Easley, Levi Brown, Ed Wang, and Moats.

It was rumored that Gailey was obsessed with Spiller. There were other, similar rumors about some of the other picks: Nix stated after the draft that Levi Brown was the QB they were targeting all along, and they openly scouted him to the point where many of us on this Board knew they'd pick him before the draft. They became enamored with Carrington after he dominated senior bowl week (this was the year before Gailey coached it). Nix declared Easley to be the best blocking WR in the draft. They reportedly loved Troup's leadership as a four-year starter, team captain, etc. etc.

Almost all of these picks were flops, and it's fairly easy to see why if you take off your fan hat for a minute - you can't go into a draft focused on filling needs and focusing on specific players to fill those needs, regardless of value. That draft was the EXACT OPPOSITE of a BPA strategy. Honestly I think Nix would admit the screw-up if he was being candid.

I do hope he learned from it, but as I said, the jury is still very much out. The 2011 draft is a long way away from being declared a success. We'll just have to see if Nix learned his lesson. While the 2012 draft looks better, I'm already wondering about their approach in Round 3 - Gailey wanted a fast, vertical WR and was enamored with TJ Graham. The Bills took him much earlier than he was expected to go. In doing so, they passed on Russell Wilson, who I thought was one of the best players in the draft. So far he's proving me right (although obviously it's far too early, and we don't yet know about Graham). If Wilson turns out to be great, and Graham flops, it'll be yet another example of why you do not draft solely for need, and you do not focus on specific players. They've GOT to stop doing that.

I agree they had holes they were eager to fill and it hurt us longterm.

That said, just because spiller filled the water bug hole, doesn't mean he wasn't also bpa at that pick. Otherwise, I generally agree the down fall of the rest of that draft was reaching for needs.

One thing that's was nice this year was Gilmore and Glenn fitting holes and being great values still. Makes me happy when that happens.

There is a big difference with what you say here. Don't disagree with your point about Free Agents. Buddy has a good eye for Free Agents - both College and Pro. However, folks are right, 2010 was a less than stellar draft. Brian Bulaga OT was there for the taking, we chose CJ instead. And there are some picks in these last two drafts that are starting to look like misses - maybe Kelvin Sheppard.

I am of the mind set that as soon as Buddy hands of the keys to Doug Whaley, the better off the Bills as a collector of college talent will be. Not diminishing anything that Buddy has done.

If we have to assess the overall performance of Buddy Nix, then, yeah, he could have hit better on the 2010 draft and in later rounds of 2011.

However, this is also us as Bills fans turning over rocks to uncover mistakes and problems. Not every team every year hits with an A class in the draft. The Entire draft class of 2007 for the Pats are gone. Class of 2008 is almost gone as well. The 2008 NY JETS #1, the 4th overall Vernon Gholston, never panned out. You could say Miami set themselves back 10 years by not drafting Matt Ryan #1 overall in 2008, instead drafting Jake Long at Tackle.

If I have to compare how the Bills are getting built draft / waiver wire / college free agent / pro free agent, just me and not saying I am predicting a Super Bowl win, except for drafting a QB in round 1 (although I think next year's #1 is our franchise QB), the Bills are being built very similar to Pittsburgh (surprise) and Green Bay as they were builidng in the early and mid 2000 decade.

Although we agree on that 2010 draft, and even the last two drafts seem to be lacking....

It really is wrong to compare the Patriots draft to the Bills draft when one team is very selective in filling a few needs vs one that has so many needs at so many positions.

In 2008 the Jets had the mangenius as HC so considering he still isn't working in the NFL in any capacity...I'd say that was a bonehead pick by a bonehead coach. Just like another draft we are all talking about.

As for the Dolphins and Jake long, Bill Parcels did the right thing in his view as he isn't one to draft a flashy QB in the 1st round and has proven that he can win a SB with a not so great player at QB. Parcels just never got the chance to finish what he started in Miami. As Bills fans we should be ecstatic that Parcels decided to retire, and he turned the team over to GM Jeff Ireland.

My take is most drafts are usually only as good as the man running the team.

I imagine if Easley and Troup have not been injured that they would have made a much greater impact. Especially Easley. Sometimes it just takes reps and confidence. Being on I.R. for 2 years in a row does not do anything for you. He's practically a rookie still in many ways.

I think Carrington will make the final roster ahead of Heard for the 9th and final spot. It's really a toss up between him, Heard and Gilbert.

And Troup still has a shot to make things happen with his Buffalo Bills career so don't count him out yet. Spencer Johnson is a free agent after this year and Edwards is a FA after 2013. Torell will have his shot next year. I don't think you can knock the BIlls for trying to find a 3-4 DT in their first year of installing it and than passing up on a injured TE. You can knock the team for doing much worse than making a smart decision at the time. Nobody knows how ANY player will turn out. So quit crying over spilled milk.

To tell you the truth this thread shouldn't have been made until after they have all been cut. It's a little premature to say Troup, Easley, Carrington, and Batten all make this draft class stink when they are still on the roster. It doesn't look good but they can still make the team and eventually make this class look great. Also as another guy said, you can't discount the UDFA's and the FA's Nix brought in, which makes that offseason the most productive one to date right now. It was a rockstar year for Nix and the Bills... I bet there are about double the amount of players from the 2010 year contributing to this years team than either 2011 and 2012. I would bet there is about just as many players from the 2010 offseason as there are from the 2011 - 2012 combined. I'm talking newly added ones that year in 2010 that will still be on the roster compared to the other two years. I bet it's close

So what? In 2008, Jackass Jauron drafted Leodis McKelvin. right before Clady, Brandon Albert, and Joe Flacco were selected. Assuming McKelvin too was highly ranked (and I'm guessing that he was), would this justify such stupidity? The team needed blockers and a quarterback, and chose Leodis McKelvin. In 2010, the Bills needed everything except a running back, and chose Spiller. Sorry, pre-draft rankings do not justify this imo.

As I am 100% sure you recall, after the Spiller selection, Mr. Wilson, who was a little more active at the time, was quoted as saying that the team needed, "excitement." This was a very, very questionable selection at the time, and remains such today. And, I will always suspect that Mr. Wilson had some input in terms of ticket sales.

The good news is that Nix has made some very good UFA signings, and I'm not simply referring to Mario. Other good news? The season is creeping up upon us. :thumbsup:

So the OLine makes him look good by opening a seam for 20+ yards, but Spiller makes himself look bad when the OLine does not open a seam?

I get it. Its like the QB's winning percentage. The other 52 guys did absolutely nothing to impact the game.

Spiller makes himself look bad by turning toward the sideline as soon as he sees an opposing jersey. That isn't going to work in the NFL and he has certainly proved that so far. If you notice, FredEx keeps it going north and even if he only picks up 2 or 3 yards, that's better than a consistant -1 or no gain by going sideways.

As to your last line, I'm not sure how to respond as I don't believe I ever blamed the Bills sucking the past 2 seasons solely on Spiller. I just contend that the Spiller pick has not been a good one, much less a great one so far.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Spiller makes himself look bad by turning toward the sideline as soon as he sees an opposing jersey. That isn't going to work in the NFL and he has certainly proved that so far. If you notice, FredEx keeps it going north and even if he only picks up 2 or 3 yards, that's better than a consistant -1 or no gain by going sideways.

As to your last line, I'm not sure how to respond as I don't believe I ever blamed the Bills sucking the past 2 seasons solely on Spiller. I just contend that the Spiller pick has not been a good one, much less a great one so far.

Toward the end of the season last year when Spiller had more responsibility, it seemed like he started to figure out that +2 is better than -2, and he couldn't rely on his ability to out run the defense around the end like he could in college. I am curious to see how he looks this season. If he reverts to dancing behind the line and running sideways, I will be truly disappointed.

I disagree on any negative connotation that.spiller is.anything less than a GREAT player... the only reason he hasnt had much playing time is because fred jackson plays as good or better than any back in the league when healthy. He is literally our backbone. I actually am giddy at all the wear and tear we are saving on CJ... hes basically gonna be an untouched toy by the time he resigns, LETS JUST HOPE HE DOES! Lol

Nix wasnt

In full control until the following year, he didn't draft all his guys until the following draft. Not to mention personnel was for a 3-4 scheme... Not comparing apples to apples. We have so much depth and all around a better team through and through.. So ya some players try draft, won't all make the team every year.

Nix wasnt

In full control until the following year, he didn't draft all his guys until the following draft. Not to mention personnel was for a 3-4 scheme... Not comparing apples to apples. We have so much depth and all around a better team through and through.. So ya some players try draft, won't all make the team every year.

I pictured a Stephen Hawking voice speaking this post and it made a bit more sense...

Tom Brady was taken in what round? At some point the draft is a crap shoot. No reason that they could have known that troop and easley would have health issues.

On one hand...a single draft is a crapshoot....however, when you line up drafts one after the other....and a pattern of sucking emerges....then...you have to take action.

See: Fire Modrak

Blaming that draft on Modrak is like giving a pass to Gailey when he never watched past film of Fred Jackson, or didn't know Spiller wasn't ready to start that 2010 season.

Considering how desperate this team was for talent, and then everyone including the owner stating that the team lacked talent. To come up so short in that first draft is somewhat baffling when you think of Buddy Nix's resume of past drafts. Bottom line, Nix should have watched the film and gone over every player he was going to draft, regardless of when he was hired.

That 2010 draft is looking even worse then Jauron / Levy

I look back to the Chuck Know and Bill Polian / Levy era's and come away thinking this GM isn't even close. The only reason the team drafted so great in 2011 and got Marcel Darius was because the team was so terrible. Same thing for last years draft.

Anyway, it still remains to be seen if any of the players Nix has drafted so far surpass the players Jauron drafted.

On the other had....

This doesn't take into account the fact that a draft chart....takes an entire year to build, involves the entire scouting department for that year, and involves the entire pro personnel people for that year, because drafting without thinking about FA is stupid.

So...your assertion that Buddy could have some how come in, and immediately fired Modrak, and then have just "watched film" to replace the work product that Modrak had created...is absurd. :blink:

It's not about one individual, Buddy, just watching college game tapes. If it were...then why do you need a 10-15 guy scouting department?

No. They had to keep Modrak, and keep work product, for that first year. That's why they fired him...AFTER the draft. Your premise is false, therefore, the rest of the argument can't be right. Also, giving draft position the credit, rather than Buddy, for Buddy making good draft decisions? Also absurd.

I don't see any Ryan Leafs in the last 2 drafts. Rather, I see nothing but starters/contributors. You can't take credit away...for doing what they are supposed to do....no more than you can give extra credit...for doing what they are supposed to do. :blink:

As always, I don't mind fans being critical. I do mind when they are misguided/inaccurate.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Wang - trash

Levi Brown - trash

Calloway - trash

Your thoughts?

is it not ironic that after that draft Nix completely revamped the scouting department and dumped Modrak?

2) The 2010 draft

Back to the 2010 draft:

This was a well thought out post.....a couple of retorts

- Easley looked very good when we got him.....I considered him excellent value at the time.....and I truly believe that he is going to be cut or go to practice squad BUT I also believe that he had a window where he could have really been a player for us.....it happens

- Yes they were targeting Spiller before that draft.....but I also think that he was the most common sense pick in the first at that pick....there were other guys that would have made more sense in trade downs but Nix just doesnt do that.

- Regarding QB.....I just dont think it makes sense to take a QB that late because he really isnt gonna get a shot.....you either take your QB early or you dont take them. It isnt that a later QB might not be talented its just that they dont get cultivated because you dont have a lot invested in a later pick. FITZ is their guy.....I firmly believe the bills are set on that.......anything else is just about who the backup is gonna be.

- The Switch tot he 3-4 was a huge mistake and Edwards was an even bigger mistake.......but it looks to me like they were not necessarily trying to win immediately......we have gone through so many years of being middle ofthe pack that we needed to get into the blue chip picks of the draft and pick up real foundation type players like Darius (and make no mistake) had we been lower that pick would have been Cam Newton

I suppose it is fair to draw critisism to those things along the way but I really dont like to dwell on the past....this team because of who is running it is in a forward positive "slow but steady" direction and their spending in free agency tells me that they think they are ready to make their push.

Lets do this

So what? In 2008, Jackass Jauron drafted Leodis McKelvin. right before Clady, Brandon Albert, and Joe Flacco were selected. Assuming McKelvin too was highly ranked (and I'm guessing that he was), would this justify such stupidity? The team needed blockers and a quarterback, and chose Leodis McKelvin. In 2010, the Bills needed everything except a running back, and chose Spiller. Sorry, pre-draft rankings do not justify this imo.

As I am 100% sure you recall, after the Spiller selection, Mr. Wilson, who was a little more active at the time, was quoted as saying that the team needed, "excitement." This was a very, very questionable selection at the time, and remains such today. And, I will always suspect that Mr. Wilson had some input in terms of ticket sales.

The good news is that Nix has made some very good UFA signings, and I'm not simply referring to Mario. Other good news? The season is creeping up upon us. :thumbsup:

The only place that the Spiller pick is a "question" is in your own mind.