Bills 2010 Draft... really terrible

HeHateMe

So it was pure coincidence that Gailey was insisting on a "waterbug" running back leading up to the draft and lo, they got one at 9 who just happened to be BPA. Face it: they went into that draft focused on NEED and obsessed with particular players to fill those needs. The result was a complete debacle.

Was it? Last time I checked Spiller looked pretty good when FJ went down......but dont let get in the way of your hate.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it? Last time I checked Spiller looked pretty good when FJ went down......but dont let get in the way of your hate.

Right, back to the You're a bad fan angle. You're defending a 1st round pick blown on a backup RB, the easiest position to fill on the entire roster, in a draft that was desperately needed to re-stock the cupboard. But don't let that get in the way of your worship.

I haven't ignored you - I was working, at my job, all afternoon.

You and others do not understand what BPA means. It means best player, regardless of need. It does NOT mean a four-year starter - if a "one-year wonder" is the best player when you're picking, he counts. And yes it can include hindsight - why can't it? Clearly JPP was the best player available at that spot. Nix the master scout didn't perceive it, but Jerry Reese (who is not only a better scout, but a much better team-builder as well) did realize it, and made the correct pick.

Is it fair to judge Nix based upon hindsight only, for not drafting one player with a short track record who everyone else passed on? NO. But when you consider that he proceeded to blow the next three picks in a row by drafting for need, it's fair to question whether his head was up his a$$ for that entire offseason, draft included.

Assuming you're actually asking this question, here's the answer:

You can't use hindsight when drafting a player. Are you really asserting that assessing the best available player in a draft, at the time of the draft, can include hindsight from 2 seasons in the future? Because that's what it sounds like.

If that's not what you're saying, then please present your argument as to why--at the time of the 2010 draft--you whole-heartedly believed that Jason Pierre-Paul was the best player available.

I'm eager to see this.

Well the fact of the matter was that Troup and Carrington were projected to go wayyy lower than where we took them. Are the rankings always right? Of course not. But those two guys would have been there two rounds later respectively. The fact that we passed on guys like Gronkowski, Angerer and Navorro Bowman is sickening. Again, no GM is perfect but that's bad.

Armchair GMs...

Troup was the last prototype DT available and he was not getting past anyone beyond the 2nd round. When you have the worst run defense in football the previous season, you are expected to make that invested on a starting caliber DT.

The same goes with Carrington. The Bills needed DEs to generate Pass rush and they were looking for one to plane DE in the 3-4 and his size fit. It is unfortunate that we had a scrub like Edwards running the 3-4 and not being able to put a situational pass rusher on the field at the right time.

Right, back to the You're a bad fan angle. You're defending a 1st round pick blown on a backup RB, the easiest position to fill on the entire roster, in a draft that was desperately needed to re-stock the cupboard. But don't let that get in the way of your worship.

I could not agree more. Most teams in the NFL have superb running games as a result.

Yeah, good teams don't draft first-round running backs.

The Superbowl champs didn't draft one this year.

The 2010 superbowl champs didn't draft one last year.

The superbowl champion Steelers didn't draft one.

The Patriots didn't draft one during the superbowl years.

Oh wait, I forgot about David Wilson, Mark Ingram, Rashard Mendenhall, and Lawrence Maroney.

Guess my point is pretty much moot.

Yeah, good teams don't draft first-round running backs.

The Superbowl champs didn't draft one this year.

The 2010 superbowl champs didn't draft one last year.

The superbowl champion Steelers didn't draft one.

The Patriots didn't draft one during the superbowl years.

Oh wait, I forgot about David Wilson, Mark Ingram, Rashard Mendenhall, and Lawrence Maroney.

Guess my point is pretty much moot.

The Bills were not a good team when they blew a luxury pick on Spiller. Ironically, RB was the sole position of strength on that team.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

After Troup going on IR for the season I was just thinking back to how awful Nix's first draft was for this team... I mean it is really terrible.

Spiller - hasn't produced enough at this point to justify the pick although a lot of upside here (best pick)

Troup - IR for 2nd straight season

Carrington - likely to be cut this year, never done anything as a Bill

Easley - injured the entire time he has been on the team, likely to be cut

Wang - trash

Moats - should make the team (2nd best pick.. not saying much)

Batten - likely to be cut

Levi Brown - trash

Calloway - trash

After cuts we are likely to only have Spiller and Moats playing this year... what a disaster this was.

Your thoughts?

it all depends. if spiller turns improves upon his performances from the last few games of last season and moats ends up being a good starting linebacker for us then it's really not that bad. two guys making an impact from that class is not bad. if troupe can get right and contribute next year, even better. but yeah, if everyone $#!@& the bed then it wasn't a very good draft.

ya if moats can start a few seasons and spiller goes on to have a decent career the draft isn't too bad, still not good but not a disaster. if moats doesnt pan out and spiller never really breaks out then the draft will go down as another epic bills draft fail.

So it was pure coincidence that Gailey was insisting on a "waterbug" running back leading up to the draft and lo, they got one at 9 who just happened to be BPA. Face it: they went into that draft focused on NEED and obsessed with particular players to fill those needs. The result was a complete debacle.

Several fit that bill. If spiller was gone but we took Mccluster in the second you could yell the same thing.

Turns out the best one was ranked higher than 9 and fell to us.

Wrong again. Spiller was ranked in the top 10 prior to the draft.

Mike Mayock: #5 overall: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d817695a5/article/williams-jumps-to-no-7-prospect-big-12-dominates-top-10

Scout.com: #8 overall: http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&yr=2010

NFL draft scout: #8 overall: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2010&sortby=rateall&order=ASC

#10 overall: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/prospects/

But go ahead and continue to pretend that Spiller wasn't a top prospect in the 2010 draft.

2008 - BUFFALO BILLS RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 11 Leodis McKelvin CB Troy 2 41 James Hardy WR Indiana 3 72 Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech 4 114 Reggie Corner DB Akron 4 132 Derek Fine TE Kansas 5 147 Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State 6 179 Xavier Omon RB Northwest Missouri State 7 219 Demetrius Bell T Northwestern State-Louisiana 7 224 Steve Johnson WR Kentucky 7 251 Kennard Cox CB Pittsburgh

stevie is the only thing saving this stinker

holy crap 2002 and 2000 are shockingly bad also lol

The problem with him isn't his stats. Sometimes the O line would make a seam and Spiller would be 20 yards down the field before the D even knew what the hell was going on which was always fun to watch and (rightly so in my opinion) gives fans something to be hopeful about. But the next 3 or more carries he would run towards the sideline for no gain. So for those 4 carries as an example, his YPC would be 5 (even more if the initial run was more than 20 yards). But that doesn't do much to sustain a drive. Spiller has explosive speed, but until he learns how to use it properly by going north instead of east/west consistently it isn't going to do the Bills much good over the course of a game or season.

Maybe this is the year he finally is able to put it all together. All Bills fans should hope for this. I certainly am!

So the OLine makes him look good by opening a seam for 20+ yards, but Spiller makes himself look bad when the OLine does not open a seam?

I get it. Its like the QB's winning percentage. The other 52 guys did absolutely nothing to impact the game.

The Bills were not a good team when they blew a luxury pick on Spiller. Ironically, RB was the sole position of strength on that team.

didn't the bills have a complete knucklehead with a drug problem and a hit and run that everyone wanted run out of town and a pre-breakout freddy jackson on the team? while i loved the way marshawn played for us, he just never quite seemed to fit with this team, and i would not consider that kind of baggage a position of strength.

A 3rd round pick was a ridiculous reach? Really?

I love how people throw out the injuries when making these kind of conclusions.....Easley was looking GREAT when we drafted him....then he got hurt...which is of course Nix fault.

First WR from Conneticut ever drafted! Yes that is a reach in any round.

I give passes on Troup and Easley (due to injury), and on Carrington and Batten (due to change to 4-3 scheme).

As you said, Spiller and Moats seem like good picks, and the others are trash (though I doubt expectations could be high for them inI any event).

Carrington and Batten didn't do anything before this year so don't know why you would give them passes bc of the change to 4-3

This was an awful draft after Spiller with too many reaches and small school guys. I hated the Troup pick almost as much as I hated the Hardy pick that so many on here loved...you know who you are

People can bring up Modrak all they want but in the end it was Buddy's call

Still can't believe how long Modrak was kept around

I don't get why everyone is so hung up on the 2010 draft. Getting two starters out of a draft is by no means "really terrible". Hell, New England has had a few "really terrible" drafts in the last 5 or 6 years. You know, years where not one drafted player was a starter.

The Patriots didn't go 6-10, and were desperate for so many players at so many positions. What does it say about a draft that can't produce a starter on a 4-12 team?

I guess you can ignore what your being told if you wish....(and it really isnt that hard to present the bad fan angle...your doing it all by yourself)

Spiller is a back running back because of the emergency of Freddie Jackson....definately not a bad problem to have and def NOT CJ Spillers fault

Easiest position to fill? Then why doesnt Tashard Choice look better? Because quite honestly under YOUR scenario we would be one injury away from having him as our starting RB......Lynch was in constant trouble and did not want to be here....and Freddie is up in age.

Exactly what player at that position would have restocked the cupboard.....I hear lots of complaining about WHO we picked with no viable option of WHO we should have picked.

As for my worship of Buddy Nix? Absolutely....the man has had 2 solid drafts in a row.....managed to steal ralphs wallet and fix problems in free agency.......and finally has introduced the concept of resigning your own good players instead of creating holes inthe damn that didnt need to be there.......I absolutely love the guy and love what he has done. Every GM in the league misses on players......and I like how Nix is quick to admit mistakes and make changes......Modrak was GONE after that draft.

After Troup going on IR for the season I was just thinking back to how awful Nix's first draft was for this team... I mean it is really terrible.

Spiller - hasn't produced enough at this point to justify the pick although a lot of upside here (best pick)

Troup - IR for 2nd straight season

Carrington - likely to be cut this year, never done anything as a Bill

Easley - injured the entire time he has been on the team, likely to be cut

Wang - trash

Moats - should make the team (2nd best pick.. not saying much)

Batten - likely to be cut

Levi Brown - trash

Calloway - trash

After cuts we are likely to only have Spiller and Moats playing this year... what a disaster this was.

Your thoughts?

Have you enjoyed the spin?

;)