Annoying "NFLSpeak". Mine is "no question".

I'm HUMBLED by the fact that there is no human being in the history of humanity nor will there ever be a human in the future that is as perfect as I am because I am the greatest to have ever have lived and you should all count your self extremely lucky to witness my perfect greatness. It is humbling.

Clearly, without question, I am more humble than you, I'd argue I am the most humble person in the world.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone cites "his athleticism" when they have no other way to describe skills. Obviously, they are athletic or they wouldn't be on an NFL field.

Also when a bad team surprises everyone and does well, the analyst usually will say something like "right now,they are just having fun out there" because they don't know what the reasons are for the success.

Or "as a young team, they just don't know any better." By the time you get to the professional level in any sport I think you understand what you have to do to be successful.

"Arm-Strength" is the one I take most issue with. Like what does that mean? Joe Montana arm-strength or Ryan Leaf arm-strength? After all, Tim Tebow has one of the stronger arms in the game right now. How's that working out for him? Any one of the guys coming into the league can more than adequately throw the ball from a strength aspect. How about we drop the "arm-strength" criticisms? That alone means nothing.

This one has puzzled me for years too. At first I thought they meant on a field with a crown (not too many left these days), you'd run to the outside where you would in fact be "running downhill". But I think they mean something else. Not sure.

I take it as a metaphor. As in, due to this running back's size, speed and tenacity it's as if his momentum is carrying him downhill (ie. harder to stop).

Well well well. Ask and ye shall receive. Emmit Smith yesterday on his time in the National Football League:

“Knowing what has started to come out in terms of the evidence of guys having mental issues right now, it concerns me, especially when you’ve carried the football more than anybody in the National Football League and have more yardage than anybody in the National Football League,” he said. “That means I probably got hit more than anyone in the National Football League, so why shouldn’t I be concerned?”

:wallbash:

I'm HUMBLED by the fact that there is no human being in the history of humanity nor will there ever be a human in the future that is as perfect as I am because I am the greatest to have ever have lived and you should all count your self extremely lucky to witness my perfect greatness. It is humbling.

A-Freaking-Men it drives me crazy. Being humbled is not being honored.

The biggest nails-on-chalkboard phrase for me (and you hear it in all sports really) is: "It is what it is."

Ugh. Either say what you mean, which is absolutely nothing at all or "f#^* you, I'm not offering an opinion."

But basically, at the end of the day, it is what it is, ya know?

It's a quarterback driven league.

Edited by Rob's House

"In this league"

First of all, what other league could we possibly be talking about? Secondly, it makes the person saying it sound like a pompous ass who in some way knows something you don't because they've played "in this league" and know what others players need to do to be successful "in this league". It pisses me off every time someone says it.

Yes. Especially when used by everyday joes that never played "in this league". I also despise "franchise quarterback". Who/when/why did that replace "good quarterback"?

Invariably, when one of the talking heads starts talking, at least one of them will say something like: "There's no question that Peyton Manning will make the Broncos offense better".

To the bolded above, they wouldn't say that. They'd say.. "There's no question that Peyton Manning will make the Broncos offense better AT THE QUARTERBACK POSITION.

Apparently I never received the memo that "at the ________ position" must be added every instance that one talks about a player.

Clearly, without question, I am more humble than you, I'd argue I am the most humble person in the world.

I am humbled by your humility.

My other biggest pet peeve (I have many I assure you) is the word "prideful."

At what freaking epoch-making moment did the word "proud" cease to exist?

Every one of those dumb-ass, itinerant ex-jocks who now wear suits while butchering our language on national television seems to think that saying "Peyton Manning is a prideful player at the quarterback position" makes a good sentence.

To the bolded above, they wouldn't say that. They'd say.. "There's no question that Peyton Manning will make the Broncos offense better AT THE QUARTERBACK POSITION.

Apparently I never received the memo that "at the ________ position" must be added every instance that one talks about a player.

I am humbled by your humility.

My other biggest pet peeve (I have many I assure you) is the word "prideful."

At what freaking epoch-making moment did the word "proud" cease to exist?

Every one of those dumb-ass, itinerant ex-jocks who now wear suits while butchering our language on national television seems to think that saying "Peyton Manning is a prideful player at the quarterback position" makes a good sentence.

HEHE..-I think that most people are used to dumb ex-JOCKSPEAK from these goofballs. Todd Christensen got fired from the network for having too large a vocabulary.

Biggest: Referring to the NFL playoffs as "the tournament."

Second: Aggressiveness. This is a made-up American word. The English language already has "Aggression." Why do americans just think of a word and add "-ness" onto the end without bothering to think whether a word to serve that function already exists?

I'm sure this post lacks persuasiveness (persuasion?) because I dont have enough humbleness (humility?).

Carry on, sirs.

Mine is "decimated" as in "decimated by injury". This is used so often, and I believe it's rarely used how the word is actually supposed to be used.

Decimated means something is reduced by a fraction (ie. a decimal) not completely wiped out until there is just a fraction left. This is how it is almost always used. So in actuality, "decimated" refers to losing a small part of something, not almost all of it. I honestly don't care that much but I've noticed that this is how the word is almost always used.

However, lots of words take on additional or even warped definitions over time based on how populations use them.

Regarding this....the Romans would "decimate" a legion, by killing every 10th man, for losing, as a way to motivate them for an upcoming battle/campaign, or for even more ridiculous reasons. deci- = 10. This IS the meaning of the word.

But, since decimate sounds like devastate...the dim have morphed it's meaning into utter destruction.

Just think: years from now, unless we do something about it, the dim will overrun "intents and purposes" with..."intensive purposes". Won't that be a great day? <_<

This one has puzzled me for years too. At first I thought they meant on a field with a crown (not too many left these days), you'd run to the outside where you would in fact be "running downhill". But I think they mean something else. Not sure.

"Running down hill" is something that you have to experience to understand. Or...those that have experienced it, have explained it poorly.

Since I've experienced it plenty, I will try to explain it properly.

First of all, "running down hill" is a feeling. And, it's a feeling that you would not have, unless you were fully aware that you were running on a level surface. Actually running down a hill never produces the same feeling. It may be similar, which is why it is described as "running down hill". But, it's not the same.

For anyone who's ever run down a hill, the absence of resistance to your forward motion, is the feeling. So, when you suddenly get that sort of feeling, running on the field...it's weird, but very cool. :D The difference is: when you are actually running down a hill, you provide the resistance, because you don't want to go ass over teacup. (Something many forget at the Ralph :lol:)

But, when you are "running down hill" you don't feel any resistance. You feel like you can run through/dodge anybody, and when it's really rocking, you don't really feel your feet touch the ground. You know they are, but at most it feels like you are lightly tapping your big toes on the ground. In rare instances...I've even felt weightless, didn't feel my feet at all, and that I was being pulled forward automagically. (Hey, I said it was a feeling. :) )

In all cases, for any announcer to use this a way to characterize a RB is silly, because they can't possibly know if the RB is feeling it, by just looking at him. It's also silly, because it's not like it happens all the time. When it does, it's just about the coolest feeling in the world....and shouldn't be trivialized. It certainly isn't something that you can just turn on like a switch. (No surprise that a pro athlete would give you the impression that they can, though = awesomeness :rolleyes:) It's a state of being more than anything, and it is fleeting. You may only feel it for one play, never mind the whole game. Certainly you don't "do" it intentionally, in the 2nd quarter...and that's why you won the game. You aren't going to feel it on a 3 yard running play. :rolleyes:

HEHE..-I think that most people are used to dumb ex-JOCKSPEAK from these goofballs. Todd Christensen got fired from the network for having too large a vocabulary.

Frankly, this stuff reminds me a lot more of CorporateSpeak, than JockSpeak. I've spent plenty of meetings hearing exactly nothing...because it was entirely filled with cliches, strung together, one after another. It's as if each cliche(win/win, out of the box) has be to posited by somebody, for the meeting to be a success. :lol:

This way, these turds never have to commit to anything or do any real thinking.

It makes me wonder if these announcers are coached in "words that sell" sorta stuff. I can see some PR turd telling these guys what to say so that they can sound "articulate"....with obviously...varying results.

First of all I would like to thank the OP for asking me this question, I am humbled to give you my answer, no question. I have struggled mightily through adversity while those around me have been decimated by the physicality of posting, but, I told myself "You must step up!" Beerball has the God given ability. Others may say 'It is what it is'. Beerball isn't other people. Beerball most defininitely understands that it's only preseason when posters don't show anything beyond vanilla. Beerball knows that preseason doesn't matter and Beerball thanks God that he was able to reply to this topic and continue to feed his family.

First of all I would like to thank the OP for asking me this question, I am humbled to give you my answer, no question. I have struggled mightily through adversity while those around me have been decimated by the physicality of posting, but, I told myself "You must step up!" Beerball has the God given ability. Others may say 'It is what it is'. Beerball isn't other people. Beerball most defininitely understands that it's only preseason when posters don't show anything beyond vanilla. Beerball knows that preseason doesn't matter and Beerball thanks God that he was able to reply to this topic and continue to feed his family.

You claim to be humble but others have described you as being prideful at the moderator position.

:thumbsup:

All this stuff used to annoy me, too. But maybe because I'm gettting old, I now only laugh when NFL players, coaches and commentators butcher the English language. After all, language exists to communicate feelings and ideas and while many in the NFL may not be elegant in their communication, we get what they are trying to say.

It would be a more boring world, actually, if we all talked the same without slang, neologisms and mixed metaphors, and only with the best of grammar. I may not be entirely sure what a "down hill runner" is but it's more colorful than hearing again and again that a certain back is a "straight-ahead runner" who's "best between the tackles."

Edited by hondo in seattle

I think all these cliches are the result of laziness combined with a lack of talent by the commentators. It's just "auto-speak" that passes for ability. If they hear a fresh phrase, they all seem to glom on to it within days and then its everywhere forever.

One that annoys me is, "Are you kidding me?" And from baseball: "He hit a frozen rope."