Annoying "NFLSpeak". Mine is "no question".

I'm HUMBLED by the fact that there is no human being in the history of humanity nor will there ever be a human in the future that is as perfect as I am because I am the greatest to have ever have lived and you should all count yourselves extremely lucky to witness my perfect greatness. It is humbling.

Fixed. Sorry to ruin your perfection. Now you can be humbled... :D

oh and for my contribution "That's the biggest thing"

All the Bills players and coaches seemed to be saying this during OTA's.

Haven't heard it much recently. "We just have to get better, that's the biggest thing"

Edited by Drewgetz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest nails-on-chalkboard phrase for me (and you hear it in all sports really) is: "It is what it is."

Ugh. Either say what you mean, which is absolutely nothing at all or "f#^* you, I'm not offering an opinion."

I want to hurt the people who say this to me. My boss says it all the time!!

Mine is "decimated" as in "decimated by injury". This is used so often, and I believe it's rarely used how the word is actually supposed to be used.

Decimated means something is reduced by a fraction (ie. a decimal) not completely wiped out until there is just a fraction left. This is how it is almost always used. So in actuality, "decimated" refers to losing a small part of something, not almost all of it. I honestly don't care that much but I've noticed that this is how the word is almost always used.

However, lots of words take on additional or even warped definitions over time based on how populations use them.

Edited by ko12010

Mine is "decimated" as in "decimated by injury". This is used so often, and I believe it's rarely used how the word is actually supposed to be used.

Decimated means something is reduced by a fraction (ie. a decimal) not completely wiped out until there is just a fraction left. This is how it is almost always used. So in actuality, "decimated" refers to losing a small part of something, not almost all of it. I honestly don't care that much but I've noticed that this is how the word is almost always used.

However, lots of words take on additional or even warped definitions over time based on how populations use them.

Definition of DECIMATE

1: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of

2: to exact a tax of 10 percent from <poor as a decimated Cavalier — John Dryden>

3a : to reduce drastically especially in number <cholera decimated the population>

b : to cause great destruction or harm to <firebombs decimated the city><an industry decimated by recession>

dec·i·ma·tion noun

Just saying... B-)

Definition of DECIMATE

1: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of

2: to exact a tax of 10 percent from <poor as a decimated Cavalier — John Dryden>

3a : to reduce drastically especially in number <cholera decimated the population>

b : to cause great destruction or harm to <firebombs decimated the city><an industry decimated by recession>

dec·i·ma·tion noun

Just saying... B-)

You notice how it is listed as the third definition? My post referred to the original intent of the word, which is the first two. The third was added because of what I said -- evolution over time. It's common for additions to be made to match how it is being used in common speech.

Edited by ko12010

You notice how it is listed as the third definition? My post referred to the original intent of the word, which is the first two. The third was added because of what I said -- evolution over time. It's common for additions to be made.

You are generally correct tho I did find other definitions of the word where the order was reversed. I know no one cares so I leave you with tid-bit.

"Historically, the meaning of the word decimate is ‘kill one in every ten of (a group of people)’. This sense has been more or less totally superseded by the later, more general sense ‘kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of’, as in the virus has decimated the population. Some traditionalists argue that this is incorrect, but it is clear that it is now part of standard English."

You notice how it is listed as the third definition? My post referred to the original intent of the word, which is the first two. The third was added because of what I said -- evolution over time. It's common for additions to be made to match how it is being used in common speech.

http://dictionary.re...e/decimated?s=t

dec·i·mate

   [des-uh-meyt] Show IPA

verb (used with object), dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing.

to destroy a great number or proportion of: The populationwas decimated by a plague.

to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.

Obsolete . to take a tenth of or from.

Edited by Joe Miner

You are generally correct tho I did find other definitions of the word where the order was reversed. I know no one cares so I leave you with tid-bit.

"Historically, the meaning of the word decimate is ‘kill one in every ten of (a group of people)’. This sense has been more or less totally superseded by the later, more general sense ‘kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of’, as in the virus has decimated the population. Some traditionalists argue that this is incorrect, but it is clear that it is now part of standard English."

Haha I know nobody cares - maybe if this were a writing forum. But yeah, I find it interesting how the original definition of "decimate" somehow got essentially reversed. I'm sure most on here do not share that same interest lol.

"Running Downhill" I think it means running straight ahead through tacklers at full speed, but I'm never quite sure...

This one has puzzled me for years too. At first I thought they meant on a field with a crown (not too many left these days), you'd run to the outside where you would in fact be "running downhill". But I think they mean something else. Not sure.

When someone cites "his athleticism" when they have no other way to describe skills. Obviously, they are athletic or they wouldn't be on an NFL field.

Also when a bad team surprises everyone and does well, the analyst usually will say something like "right now,they are just having fun out there" because they don't know what the reasons are for the success.

Amen to that bopper2....I really REALLY get annoyed with statements like "Go to war" or "Do battle" especially with our troops overseas. Some of these people need to be reminded that this is a game, a violent game, but not anything like war.

This one has puzzled me for years too. At first I thought they meant on a field with a crown (not too many left these days), you'd run to the outside where you would in fact be "running downhill". But I think they mean something else. Not sure.

I've always assumed it was another way for analysts to say "he's a north to south runner" or "he's got to stop running east to west and just run downhill". I guess if you're running down a hill it's easier to just keep going straight and you're less inclined to go side to side.