Cordy Glenn wins starting LT job

HOUSE

Gailey names left tackle

Posted by Chris Brown on August 20, 2012 – 5:49 pm

Head coach Chan Gailey has decided on his starting left tackle for the 2012 regular season.

Second-round pick Cordy Glenn will be the starting blind side protector of Ryan Fitzpatrick heading into the 2012 campaign. Glenn has had some ups and downs in the preseason in facing Pro Bowl pass rushers in Brian Orakpo and Jared Allen in his first two preseason games, but Gailey and his offensive staff believe all Glenn needs is time on the job.

“Cordy has got great ability,” said Gailey. “His ability is not the issue. It’s the playing time. He needs as much playing time as he can get. I think if he gets playing time he has a chance to be a really good football player. He’s not done great against the two good pass rushers he’s faced, but he’s done okay. I think we see a great upside.”

More on this developing story on Buffalobills.com later this evening.

Its interesting how Chan doesnt want to shower him with praise even though he played pretty darn well against 2 of the premier pass rushers in the NFL on consecutive weeks.....not to mention going against some pretty good ones in practice every day.

Cordy has been just fine.

The real thing to watch is how does this affect the right tackle side.....because Pears hasn't exactly beaten out Hairston.

Its interesting how Chan doesnt want to shower him with praise even though he played pretty darn well against 2 of the premier pass rushers in the NFL on consecutive weeks.....not to mention going against some pretty good ones in practice every day.

The real thing to watch is how does this affect the right tackle side.....because Pears hasn't exactly beaten out Hairston.

With all due respect John, I think you have that reversed. It's Pears' job to lose and he had a decent season last year. Not that I'd mind seeing Hairston win the job.

GO BILLS!!!

Chan has never really been a "rah-rah" guy. He's always had a more subtle approach when he talks about his players.

glad to hear that the lt position has been won. now as far as the rt position goes, may the best man win. good to see that there is talent and depth. also, i don't think that hairston is going to just sit back and be content cashing a paycheck, he;s going to push pears to either be on top of his game or get out of the way.

Doesn't this likely have as much to do with Pears' injury as it does with Glenn's play? He's looked very good but Hairston has to start at RT if Pears isn't ready.

You are probably right :thumbsup:

Baptism by fire. I like it. Provided the entire OL isn't on crutches yet again by season's end, I think it will be a strong point.

he has come out the other side amd looks stronger for it. Lets wish for Cordy as the long term solution we have waited for... well forever. with Andy next to him he will live long and prosper. i hope! No knock on Chris by the way. we just got better and deeper all at once, nice work Buddy!

If Cordy plays as advertised, let's just hope the Front Office takes care of business in about two years and resigns him long term. It's been too long since we had long term stability at this spot. Across the Oline we have the makings of a squad that if it stays healthy for 5 years it could be pretty special.

Glenn has looked decent in two pre-season games. Which for a rookie going against two pretty dam good pash rushers proves to me that he can handle the position and that he only stands to improve. Great pick by the Bills. Glen and Gilmore seem to be having a nice impact early on always what you want from your first two picks.

Glenn has looked decent in two pre-season games. Which for a rookie going against two pretty dam good pash rushers proves to me that he can handle the position and that he only stands to improve. Great pick by the Bills. Glen and Gilmore seem to be having a nice impact early on always what you want from your first two picks.

I agree. But the thing that impresses me is that he's been beaten by the foot speed of those pass rushers but with those long arms of his, he was able to get a mitt or two on them to alter their rush and neutalize that speed advantage. I'm not seeing a lot of push in the run game so far but I haven't been seeing the zone schemes that we'll be using either. When his feet catch up to his arms, he's gonna be something special. Nix has found his McNeil.

GO BILLS!!!

he has come out the other side amd looks stronger for it. Lets wish for Cordy as the long term solution we have waited for... well forever. with Andy next to him he will live long and prosper. i hope! No knock on Chris by the way. we just got better and deeper all at once, nice work Buddy!

OK. I am optimistic as well. But I don't think we can claim that....."we just got better and deeper all at once." Seriously???

If Cordy plays as advertised, let's just hope the Front Office takes care of business in about two years and resigns him long term. It's been too long since we had long term stability at this spot. Across the Oline we have the makings of a squad that if it stays healthy for 5 years it could be pretty special.

OK, now were already supposed to sign him to a long term contract in 2 years.

At the rate of This PRESEASON thread, he will be a pro bowler by 9am tomorrow and HOF-er by 4pm.

Seriously, lets protect Fitz for the 1st quarter of a real game before we are resigning them to a long term contract.

Go Bills.

Edited by Cville Bills

OK. I am optimistic as well. But I don't think we can claim that....."we just got better and deeper all at once." Seriously???

At the rate of This PRESEASON thread, he will be a pro bowler by 9am tomorrow and HOF-er by 4pm.

Seriously, lets protect Fitz for the 1st quarter of a real game before we are resigning them to a long term contract.

Go Bills.

Hater.

I kid. :D

Go Bills.

you have the point of course. But i think if Cordy works out, Hairston will have his role now defined as a decent swing tackle with all his reps at RT.

So Glenn is better then Demetress and probably is better than Chris at that position. While Chris now becomes quality depth. That is somethingwe did not have last year. Thats a fact. But i am projecting a little aren't I? :flirt:

Well, for those who care - Demetress Bell isn't doing very well in Philly. He's apparently lost the starting LT spot to King Dunlap.

Bell was brought in to replace Peters, and Dunlap, who has only seven career starts, was brought back to back up Bell and starting right tackle Todd Herremans.

But Bell has struggled to master Mudd's blocking technique and was benched after the Steelers game, even though he was in the game for only six plays.

Now, the starting job is Dunlap's to lose, and he definitely didn't lose it Monday night. In fact, he probably even bought himself a little breathing room.

Kind of guessed that on draft day. Orakpo and Allen on consecutive weeks and he aquitted himself well. Huge upside. Chan's right. He just needs to play.

OJT.

I like it because it continues the transition to younger, more skilled guys. But there will be some rough patches so everyone better be ready.

you have the point of course. But i think if Cordy works out, Hairston will have his role now defined as a decent swing tackle with all his reps at RT.

So Glenn is better then Demetress and probably is better than Chris at that position. While Chris now becomes quality depth. That is somethingwe did not have last year. Thats a fact. But i am projecting a little aren't I? :flirt:

You IS Very Smart...... :worthy:

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7482/cordy-glenn

Second-round rookie Cordy Glenn has officially been named the Bills' starting left tackle.

Glenn had started each of the Bills' first two preseason games, and was always the favorite over holdover Chris Hairston. Hairston started seven games in 2011, and will serve as Buffalo's swing-tackle. Glenn boasts left-tackle size at 6-foot-6, 345 pounds, but just 18 of his 50 college starts came on the blindside. Hairston will step in if Glenn struggles early.

This has been the achilles heel of the offense, more so than ANY other position. If he can fill it well, I am very optimistic about the offense this year. I'll be comfortable when we get about three or four very high quality offensive linemen to add significant depth. I have not been optimistic AT ALL about the people who have filled that position since Peters left, and for the first time I am hopeful we have solved this problem.

Gailey names left tackle

Posted by Chris Brown on August 20, 2012 – 5:49 pm

Head coach Chan Gailey has decided on his starting left tackle for the 2012 regular season.

Second-round pick Cordy Glenn will be the starting blind side protector of Ryan Fitzpatrick heading into the 2012 campaign. Glenn has had some ups and downs in the preseason in facing Pro Bowl pass rushers in Brian Orakpo and Jared Allen in his first two preseason games, but Gailey and his offensive staff believe all Glenn needs is time on the job.

“Cordy has got great ability,” said Gailey. “His ability is not the issue. It’s the playing time. He needs as much playing time as he can get. I think if he gets playing time he has a chance to be a really good football player. He’s not done great against the two good pass rushers he’s faced, but he’s done okay. I think we see a great upside.”

More on this developing story on Buffalobills.com later this evening.

This was inevitable. Glenn has pretty much been the only guy practicing with the first unit at LT, since Hairston had to play RT. The Bills simply don't have any other legitimate options.

Sam Young didn't look awful as a backup, but he was a penalty machine. Hopefully Pears comes back, and in form, so that we have some legitimate depth (either he or Hairston). The interior of the line looks solid, but expect Fitz to be getting rid of the ball quickly again this year. The tackles have some developing to do yet...

I will say I thought Glenn struggled in the first game, but looked better the 2nd game against a pretty good Vikings D-line. Improvement week to week is always encouraging.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Bet the Jest wish they selected Glenn over Coples. Coples struggled mightily early, but is starting to turn it around (albeit against 2nd teamers). Meanwhile, they have a turnstile - a much bigger problem than DE - at RT named Wayne Hunter. Poor Jest. J-E-S-T Jesters! Jesters! Jesters!

Bet the Jest wish they selected Glenn over Coples. Coples struggled mightily early, but is starting to turn it around (albeit against 2nd teamers). Meanwhile, they have a turnstile - a much bigger problem than DE - at RT named Wayne Hunter. Poor Jest. J-E-S-T Jesters! Jesters! Jesters!

While I very much want Coples to fail as a Jet, the guy has looked like a beast so far for them. I don't know what you've been watching. Unfortunately he looks to be very worth the value of that 1st round pick at this point. He may not be a top notch pass rusher, but he has been tremendous against the run. No doubt, the Jets have some serious O-line problems though, could make for a fun opener.

I'm also not ready to consider Glenn a solid NFL LT either. He looked good in the 2nd game, after struggling in the first.. He has a lot to prove, let's hope he does so.

Apparently no NFL team considered him to be a 1st round pick, I'd like to see him play with a chip on his shoulder.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

While I very much want Coples to fail as a Jet, the guy has looked like a beast so far for them. I don't know what you've been watching. Unfortunately he looks to be very worth the value of that 1st round pick at this point. He may not be a top notch pass rusher, but he has been tremendous against the run. No doubt, the Jets have some serious O-line problems though, could make for a fun opener.

I'm also not ready to consider Glenn a solid NFL LT either. He looked good in the 2nd game, after struggling in the first.. He has a lot to prove, let's hope he does so.

Apparently no NFL team considered him to be a 1st round pick, I'd like to see him play with a chip on his shoulder.

I live in NYC, so unfortunately every time I turn on ESPN radio, it's "home of the Jets." I've been hearing over and over how Coples had been struggling in camp and was demoted as a starter in favor of some guy named DeVito. Yes, he is looking better now and I referenced that, but his work is coming against 2nd teamers, not starters. Maybin was also all the rave during camp, but surprise, surprise, once the pads went on, he seemed to disappear. It's probably because he's turned sideways...

I watched Glenn against Orakpo and didn't come away with your sentiments. He didn't struggle at all! He held his own. I have the game on Preseason Live as well, so feel free to point out the quarter and time where he specifically struggled. Fitzpatrick was sacked once, but that was from the other defensive end, after he had nowhere to go with the ball.

So because no NFL team considered him to be a first round pick, means his talent level doesn't equate to a first round pick?! Some of you guys need to get away from where a player is picked in the draft, or however many teams passed him up. It means absolutely NOTHING.

I'm somewhat surprised this has been announced this early.

I thought he looked slow and not all that powerful vs Orakpo. He kept himself in the way, but Orakpo was able to push him into the pocket on a number of occasions. He was definitely better when playing against Jared Allen, considering how Allen has been playing (as well as Orakpo) that is no small feat.

I hope to see his nasty streak come out soon. There have been a few times where he has his guy beat but he doesn't finish the block. That's being nit-picky but I love seeing that in linemen.

The guy keeps getting better every time he plays and I'm excited to see where he is when the regular season starts!

Go Bills.

While I agree that giving contract extentions way way way too early.....I do feel like we got better and deeper......

Chris Hairston can play left tackle....he showed he can do it last year. And he is in year 2

Cordy Glen is your starter

If anything happens to Cordy...then you know you have someone who doesnt force you to slide your LG out to LT

That is called getting better and creating depth