Sucky start to the season

Nikki

Any fan who has paid attention for any period of time knows that results in preseason games have zero relevance. It's to get the starters up to speed and it's to evaluate individual players. They don't game plan. They don't care what the score is.

If you watch these games looking for that football drama you've been craving since last year, you will be disappointed. If you think it's an indicator of what the regular season will look like, you're a fool.

We saw some guys make some plays. Mario looked good. Cordy Glenn did well. Nobody important got hurt. SUCCESS!

We didn't even have any run plays with the first offense. They obviously took the game as practice.. which it was.. I do believe we all know Freddie and CJ can run.. We don't know who our starting receivers are going to be though..

Just remember that Trent Edwards and Spiller tore it up in preseason two years ago. If I remember, Fitz and the O could do nothing last year in preseason and started great. I look at the preseason as an opportunity for individuals to make plays. Unfortunately we do not have anyone to chuck it up to any one of our ten 6.2 230 receivers so that that they could distinguish themselves from one another.

Preseason is a glorified practice. Let the ESPNs of the world over-analyze.

But as far as the refs go, the NFL needs to do something before the season starts.

Then by the same token, the good things that occur need to be taken with a huge grain of salt as well then, right?

I mean at least if that argument is going to be consistent, right?

Agree on the refs, they'll either need to step up in a big way or it's going to really be bad. The review machines should get a good workout this year until the regulars come back.

Any fan who has paid attention for any period of time knows that results in preseason games have zero relevance. It's to get the starters up to speed and it's to evaluate individual players. They don't game plan. They don't care what the score is.

If you watch these games looking for that football drama you've been craving since last year, you will be disappointed. If you think it's an indicator of what the regular season will look like, you're a fool.

We saw some guys make some plays. Mario looked good. Cordy Glenn did well. Nobody important got hurt. SUCCESS!

Again, what does it matter if Mario and Glenn made plays and looked good. Obviously then, by your own reasoning, we can assume that no one on the other side was trying, so that skews their performances towards the positive, right?

Edited by TaskersGhost

Then by the same token, the good things that occur need to be taken with a huge grain of salt as well then, right?

Again, what does it matter if Mario and Glenn made plays and looked good. Obviously we can assume that no one on the other side was trying, so that skews their performances towards the positive, right?

Well, not exactly. Although these games aren't competitive, there is competition going on. A lot of These players are fighting to be on the team, or fighting for a starting position. So you can draw conclusions on players with limited film tape whether or not Glenn should be starter is a lot more sensible than saying the team is off to a bad start of the season, before the season starts. Pre season is about the individual battles, not how the team performs as a whole in a preseason game.

Sin short, it matters what Glenn looks like in preseason because he is fighting for a starting job. It matters what Mario looks like in preseason because he is coming off a season ending injury. It does not matter that the bills decided to throw the ball 14 times and not run it once, which resulted in no tds. That isn't what these games are meant for.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Agree on the refs, they'll either need to step up in a big way or it's going to really be bad. The review machines should get a good workout this year until the regulars come back.

Again, what does it matter if Mario and Glenn made plays and looked good. Obviously then, by your own reasoning, we can assume that no one on the other side was trying, so that skews their performances towards the positive, right?

Yes just like a practice if a player looks good he looks good nothing more nothing less. But you can't judge a whole team based on one game where there's not really a game plan.

I didn't know the season started yet.

But in all seriousness, if these preseason games are any indicator, the nfl really needs to get the refs back. These replacements will ruin the season for sure

No Doubt. They were horrible in the First game. Hopefully they'll clean it up...

For me I like to see the starters look decent against the other teams starters.

Before this last game I expected the D to look out of sync because of all the new players and the semi-new DC. But overall I was impressed with how they did as a unit.

The O was perplexing though. Same OC, same QB, same major players and they looked like they had never even practiced together much less played all of last season together.

Basically I saw the reverse of what I was expecting.

First preseason game so Gailey has a few weeks still to right the ship. The third preseason game when we see the starters longer will give us a much better idea of where they are.

If it's Tuesday, then it's time for a rehash of the rehash of last Friday's news of the previous night's game. I guess when a search function just isn't good enough anymore.

Well, not exactly. Although these games aren't competitive, there is competition going on. A lot of These players are fighting to be on the team, or fighting for a starting position. So you can draw conclusions on players with limited film tape whether or not Glenn should be starter is a lot more sensible than saying the team is off to a bad start of the season, before the season starts. Pre season is about the individual battles, not how the team performs as a whole in a preseason game.

Sin short, it matters what Glenn looks like in preseason because he is fighting for a starting job. It matters what Mario looks like in preseason because he is coming off a season ending injury. It does not matter that the bills decided to throw the ball 14 times and not run it once, which resulted in no tds. That isn't what these games are meant for.

I agree somewhat, but I still think that you're missing part of my point.

Mario knows that no matter how he plays he's going to start all 16 unless he gets injured. He can test his injury in camp. One thing that cannot be done in camp is "real-time" play. For example, we may hear how great the WRs are in camp, as a hypothetical example perhaps, but if they're all going up against rookies and players w/ no experience, what kind of a measuring stick would that be. Short answer, it wouldn't be.

On one hand we hear that preseason is meaningless. Well, OK, then how meaningful is it when Williams plays OK against a pretty below average OL?

More importantly, what does it mean when a rookie QB behind such a line, with only marginal WR talent, can move the ball downfield methodically, and score while looking great in his first NFL start, preseason regardless?

Same for Glenn. He was lined up across from Stephen Bowen primarily. What does that mean? And I'm asking, I don't know since Bowen may not even make the Skins, so what does it mean? It's highly uncertain at this point.

As to the straight passing plays, do you think it's good that they're now only working on Fitz's mechanics three seasons into his starting?

He was allowed to call his own plays, what was the point of that, and do you think he simply said, WTF, let's just screw around and have fun and didn't care about the results? I don't think so.

And honestly, some of these players can play their hearts out in preseason, especially now with the expanded preseason rosters, but they're simply not good enough to play in the NFL.

I wasn't all that impressed with Mario unlike others. I hope he brings much more once the season starts, especially if he's lined up against the likes of RTs like Tyler Polumbus. He should have run that guy over on every play.

Yes just like a practice if a player looks good he looks good nothing more nothing less. But you can't judge a whole team based on one game where there's not really a game plan.

I hear ya, but again, given the way that the Bills finished last season, do you think that they have the luxury of being able to ride out the preseason games just to get to the regular season ones and then hope that it all comes together, or do you think that it would be wise to use these games as opportunities to attempt to get some things to come together on offense?

A reminder, the offense over the last nine or ten games last season averaged barely more than two TDs/game. That's bad. It's awful. So I'm not sure how much they can afford to blow the preseason off and hope that for some magical reason the offense is going to come together for no apparent reason otherwise, and because it can play well in camp when the pressure's not real.

The O was perplexing though. Same OC, same QB, same major players and they looked like they had never even practiced together much less played all of last season together.

Basically I saw the reverse of what I was expecting.

First preseason game so Gailey has a few weeks still to right the ship. The third preseason game when we see the starters longer will give us a much better idea of where they are.

Exactly! You get it.

They'll also do what all the other NFL teams do, despite the fact that they cannot afford to, and will only play the starters for the first half, or thereabouts, of the next two preseason games, and will let them only play a series or two in the last one.

Also, if they're going to make them play, then let's be serious about why. Letting Fitzpatrick call his own plays to the tune of 16 passing plays and no running plays at all doesn't sound like a wise use of an opportunity to me. And they risk getting injuired, for what purpose? To see what happens in a situation that they'll never create? I don't get it.

As Marcellus Wiley said on ESPN yesterday, of the pre-season "What's good is good, and what's bad is not as bad as it seems in the preseason"

That's a way overgeneralized cliche`.

Also, if they're going to make them play, then let's be serious about why. Letting Fitzpatrick call his own plays to the tune of 16 passing plays and no running plays at all doesn't sound like a wise use of an opportunity to me. And they risk getting injured, for what purpose? To see what happens in a situation that they'll never create? I don't get it.

Call me when you're an NFL head coach.

Just because you, someone who I'm assuming is not an NFL head coach, doesn't get what Chan and company are doing, doesn't mean it's wrong...

Nicely said.

Fer cryin' out loud!

You guys just don't get it, do ya?

Let me make this simple for ya......

Click the damn link, note the author's photo at the bottom and answer the damn question........

Would Ya?

There! Was that so hard?

:nana:

Fer cryin' out loud!

You guys just don't get it, do ya?

Let me make this simple for ya......

Click the damn link, note the author's photo at the bottom and answer the damn question........

Would Ya?

There! Was that so hard?

:nana:

Think you may have posted in the wrong thread.

I agree somewhat, but I still think that you're missing part of my point.

Mario knows that no matter how he plays he's going to start all 16 unless he gets injured. He can test his injury in camp. One thing that cannot be done in camp is "real-time" play. For example, we may hear how great the WRs are in camp, as a hypothetical example perhaps, but if they're all going up against rookies and players w/ no experience, what kind of a measuring stick would that be. Short answer, it wouldn't be.

On one hand we hear that preseason is meaningless. Well, OK, then how meaningful is it when Williams plays OK against a pretty below average OL?

More importantly, what does it mean when a rookie QB behind such a line, with only marginal WR talent, can move the ball downfield methodically, and score while looking great in his first NFL start, preseason regardless?

Same for Glenn. He was lined up across from Stephen Bowen primarily. What does that mean? And I'm asking, I don't know since Bowen may not even make the Skins, so what does it mean? It's highly uncertain at this point.

As to the straight passing plays, do you think it's good that they're now only working on Fitz's mechanics three seasons into his starting?

He was allowed to call his own plays, what was the point of that, and do you think he simply said, WTF, let's just screw around and have fun and didn't care about the results? I don't think so.

And honestly, some of these players can play their hearts out in preseason, especially now with the expanded preseason rosters, but they're simply not good enough to play in the NFL.

I wasn't all that impressed with Mario unlike others. I hope he brings much more once the season starts, especially if he's lined up against the likes of RTs like Tyler Polumbus. He should have run that guy over on every play.

I hear ya, but again, given the way that the Bills finished last season, do you think that they have the luxury of being able to ride out the preseason games just to get to the regular season ones and then hope that it all comes together, or do you think that it would be wise to use these games as opportunities to attempt to get some things to come together on offense?

A reminder, the offense over the last nine or ten games last season averaged barely more than two TDs/game. That's bad. It's awful. So I'm not sure how much they can afford to blow the preseason off and hope that for some magical reason the offense is going to come together for no apparent reason otherwise, and because it can play well in camp when the pressure's not real.

Exactly! You get it.

They'll also do what all the other NFL teams do, despite the fact that they cannot afford to, and will only play the starters for the first half, or thereabouts, of the next two preseason games, and will let them only play a series or two in the last one.

Also, if they're going to make them play, then let's be serious about why. Letting Fitzpatrick call his own plays to the tune of 16 passing plays and no running plays at all doesn't sound like a wise use of an opportunity to me. And they risk getting injuired, for what purpose? To see what happens in a situation that they'll never create? I don't get it.

That's a way overgeneralized cliche`.

How do you know they'll never create it? Maybe they're experimenting to see how the team reacts, or how the other team reacts.

What would you prefer? For them to game plan and blow their load in the preseason? To show teams the type of offense they're going to use in a meaningless game? To appease paranoid fans no less? By the way for the last half of the season there was a key piece of the offense missing.

If the coaching staff is smart which I believe they are, they have a good idea of what they have and they don't need to show it off to appease the fan base or the media in a meaningless game. That's why I have no respect for ESPN, they have programming to fill so they burn a segment on the teams who haven't scored an offensive touchdown...in the preseason... :wallbash:

And this is said every preseason so forgive me for this Buffalo cliche...How well did the Super Bowl teams look in the preseason?

Call me when you're an NFL head coach.

Just because you, someone who I'm assuming is not an NFL head coach, doesn't get what Chan and company are doing, doesn't mean it's wrong...

LOL

To which my response is, call me when Gailey posts a winning season.

Otherwise, defending a coach that has produced 4-12 and 6-10 seasons sounds kinda funny.