What songs make you think of High School?

CosmicBills

I know there have been similar threads before, but I'm in need of some new music. Specifically ones that resonated with you while you were in high school. I always listen to music while I work and usually cater the playlist around whatever I'm writing about. In this case, I need some High School mojo asap.

Figured there are enough music junkies on Off The Wall with good suggestions! Might make a fun thread if you give a bit of a reason why your particular song will always be associated with High School in your mind.

I know there have been similar threads before, but I'm in need of some new music. Specifically ones that resonated with you while you were in high school. I always listen to music while I work and usually cater the playlist around whatever I'm writing about. In this case, I need some High School mojo asap.

Figured there are enough music junkies on Off The Wall with good suggestions! Might make a fun thread if you give a bit of a reason why your particular song will always be associated with High School in your mind.

I didn't listen to music in High school because I was too busy planning my business so I could make $$$$$$.

I asked Sage which song reminds him most of High School. He said this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM

I don't get it.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

"Angel" -Aerosmith

"I Remember You" -Skid Row

"Girl You Know it's True" -Milli Vanilli

"When I'm With You" -Sheriff

"Buffalo Stance" - Neenah Cherry (sp?)

"Wild Thing" -Ton Loc

"Here I Go Again" -Whitesnake

Anything from GnR Appetite for Destruction

"Pour Some Sugar on Me" -Def Leppard

"Kokomo" -Beach Boys

"Nothing Compares 2U" -Sinead O'Connor (big time nostalgic)

"Can't Touch This" -MC Hammer

"Free Fallin'" -Tom Petty

I think the main reason why some of these songs really resonated with me was because I was finally sort of coming into my own by the time I hit age 16 and 17. My dad had moved us all around the country growing up, so I was not always just the pudgy kid, but also the one who had the fewest number of bonds with my classmates. I moved to Rochester before the 8th grade, and we finally put down some roots so by the time I hit junior and senior year I really had developed some solid relationships. It was also the time when I shed my baby fat, became one of the "jocks", got some attention from the ladies, and started to spread my wings a bit. So some of these songs reflect the way I started really allowing myself to realistically feel the potential for some romance, and also the point where I finally sort of developed a comfort level in my own skin and began to gain some status in the eyes of others. Hated fresh/soph years, but end of Jr and all of senior year were some great times.

Edited by ajzepp

With so few responses I am thinking not many here graduated High School.

I just don't remember. I've listened and like a lot of different generations of music that I can't remember any specifics from the HS era for me.

Well, after you trashed Nirvana . . .

I just never got them. Even if I did I do not think I would want to remember High School as a dark and dirty music video like Teen Spirit. My High School experience was far from superior but its a lot easier to smile with Len then it is with a lot of the grunge.

Don't let me kill this thread, it's got potential.

Seventeen, by Winger. LMAO! I was sixteen, she was seventeen and smokin hot, and that song made her feel like FINALLY giving up the goods! And she did. And for that, I thank you Kip Winger!

I have a similar story, but with Cinderella's "Don't Know What You Got (til it's gone)" instead of Winger. My buddy and his girl went upstairs and left me alone with "the friend". Before they went upstairs, they put the CD players on "repeat"...the rest is history :)

1 Nat King Cole Too Young 2 Tony Bennett Because Of You 3 Les Paul and Mary Ford How High The Moon 4 Rosemary Clooney Come On-a My House 5 Mario Lanza Be My Love 6 Weavers On Top Of Old Smoky 7 Tony Bennett Cold, Cold Heart 8 Perry Como If 9 Mario Lanza Loveliest Night Of The Year 10 Patti Page Tennessee Waltz

- yikes 1951,,, one knows they are old when Perry Como on the list....

I went to high school in the late 70s so unfortunately disco was very popular. Even KISS went disco at this point.

The good news is that alternative/punk was just starting up.

My Sharona/Good Girls Don't - The Knack

Elvis Costello - This Year's Model/My Aim Is True

Sex Pistols

The Clash

The Buzzcocks

The B-52's

The Cars

Blondie

Gary Numan

Joe Jackson

Ramones

DEVO

In the Good Old Rock N Roll category:

Cheap Trick

Styx Come Sail Away

Kansas Dust In The Wind

Rolling Stones Some Girls

Supertramp's Breakfast in America

Rush A Farewell To Kings/Hemispheres/Permanent Waves

Boston

Early Van Halen

Early AC/DC

Judas Priest

Ted Nugent Cat Scratch Fever

Pink Floyd Animals/The Wall

Bob Seger

Tom Petty Don't Do me Like That/Refugee

Journey Lovin Touchin Squeezin

One of my absolute favorites was (and is) Graham Parker & The Rumour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLU6FeN4GLw&feature=player_embedded

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

I was in high school from the mid to late 70's and there are way, way, way, way too many to list.

Same here. I could probably name more songs from high school & college than in all the years since.

Pumped Up Kicks

Okay not really. I couldn't name a song but two albums it seemed that everyone owned and was played all the time at parties etc. Were The Cult Electric and B Boys Liscened to Ill.

I ran with a few different crowds in high school, and as such have a bunch of different songs that don't really seem to fit together, but they really resonate with me:

Transplants - "Diamonds and Guns"

Sublime - "40oz. to Freedom" and "Santeria"

T.I. - "Bring Em Out" ... My friend had this big cordless iHome that we'd carry off the bus when we arrived at our golf matches and my iPod would be hooked up playing this song :lol:

Green Day - "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Basket Case"

Violent Femmes - "Good Feeling"

Nas - "Ether"

Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean"

The Who - Baba O'Reily

Rush - "Prime Mover"

The Gaslight Anthem - "Meet Me By the River's Edge"

Foo Fighters - "Everlong"

Unk - "2 Step (Remix)"

And then pick any top 40 R&B/Hip-hop song from my four years in high school and I can probably recite every word of each one from the sheer amount of times they were played at parties.

Oh, and can't forget:

Cascada - Everytime We Touch

Edited by LeviF91