If Fitzpatrick Wins The Superbowl

If Fitzpatrick wins the Superbowl will he now move ahead of Jim Kelly as an Icon in Buffalo? I think it's a tough call. Jim Kelly is pretty much engrained here as an Icon. He has stuck around the area and has been a supporter of the team both outwardly and behind the scenes. Does winning a Superbowl vault Fitz past Jim Kelly?

Edited by first_and_ten

If Fitzpatrick wins the Superbowl will he now move ahead of Jim Kelly as an Icon in Buffalo? I think it's a tough call. Jim Kelly is pretty much engrained here as an Icon. He has stuck around the area and has been a supporter of the team both outwardly and behind the scenes. Does winning a Superbowl vault Fitz past Jim Kelly?

Maybe for the moment but he would have to have years of greatness and stay in the community after retirement to do that.

Baby steps, Fitz has to get us into the playoffs (And a winning record for that matter) first before we talk about winning a Super Bowl with him. I do think that if he can just get us into the playoffs he will be the best QB we have had since Jim Kelly (And that's more so because of a lack of competition).

No way, he'd need a decade of winning for that.

It would, however, cause traffic jams as massive helpings of Crow Pie were served out from busy intersections all over Bills-land

Or maybe not, maybe some folks are so dedicated they'd find reason to poke on

That would be the worst thing ever because the Bills will never draft a franchise QB like Sam Bradford.

PTR

I will say I still think Sam Bradford has the potential to be a very good NFL QB. He's had kind of a rough start to his NFL life.

I guess VInce Young may have an opinion on how it will roll for him now under Jeff Fisher.

It does rather illustrate the point that drafting a QB #1 is just not the cure-all fix for a struggling franchise with an empty cupboard on talent.

I will donate a nut if Fitz wins us a SuperBowl. I however do think he can QB us to an era of winning football, giving way to a younger guy with the skillset to succeed in this modern era of football. It it was the 80's I do think it would be possible to win the big one with Fitz, just not in these times, even with his "new" mechanics......lol

I will say I still think Sam Bradford has the potential to be a very good NFL QB. He's had kind of a rough start to his NFL life.

I guess VInce Young may have an opinion on how it will roll for him now under Jeff Fisher.

It does rather illustrate the point that drafting a QB #1 is just not the cure-all fix for a struggling franchise with an empty cupboard on talent.

Just saying the Rams got their "franchise" guy and they are still picking 1 or 2.

PTR

Thus far Fitzpatrick has not shown us he can play at or near the same level as Jim Kelly. Nor has he shown he can play at the level a QB typically needs to achieve for his team to win the Super Bowl.

The numbers from the first seven games of last season significantly overstate the quality of Fitz's play. He'd been going against bad pass defenses which had not yet adapted to Gailey's new style of offense.

If Fitz greatly and permanently improves the quality of his play, and if the Bills win a Super Bowl in part because of that, then and only then would it be time to have the Fitz/Kelly conversation. But if the Bills pull a Bucs of 2002, there would be no need to compare Fitz to Kelly. Just as there is no obvious need to compare Brad Johnson to Jim Kelly.

to repeat my comments ..... fitz played "well" when Fred was racking up yards and was 30% of the offense.

what happened after Fred was put on IR? a mysterious rib injury not reported for how many weeks?

I'd be very pleased if they make it to the playoffs and won some of those games... but until he gets there .....

are the fitz fanatics the same who wanted the Chroise ow whatever they called the long forgotten QB. BTY where is he today?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

to repeat my comments ..... fitz played "well" when Fred was racking up yards and was 30% of the offense.

what happened after Fred was put on IR? a mysterious rib injury not reported for how many weeks?

I'd be very pleased if they make it to the playoffs and won some of those games... but until he gets there .....

are the fitz fanatics the same who wanted the Chroise ow whatever they called the long forgotten QB. BTY where is he today?

Um... The Fred injury happened after the rib injury. :huh:

Your powers of perception are really way off.

And as far as your take on The Chroise… there's this thing called "tongue-in-cheek… "

But if I have to explain it…

in spite of what these posters are saying directly answering your question, any member of a Sabre or Bill team that wins a first Championship, Stanley Cup or Superbowl, ( previous Bills AFL Champion) will be icons for lifetime, the special moments and season of that achievement told and retold for generations. If Fitz were to be part of a Superbowl team , he would become known as the qb who got it done and by those either to young or not alive during Kellys tenure certainly be the face many would wish to identify with. Fitz will be their generations guy and for the long suffering many in what has come to light regarding Kellys Bills in how they handled their shot at the Superbowls, theirs also.

Question though based on past evidence pure fantasy we can only hope and dream to come true, but deep in hearts and heads it just not reality, most just thinking in terms of a entertaining competitive team , Fitz just not seen as the guy.... hoped for yes , but not viewed in this way.... imo:)

Edited by millbank

I thought threads like this would end once training camp opened.

Were having soup for dinner.

Really funny.

He is freaking terrible, it is not happening, so nothing really to even consider. He will be on the bench by week 10 anyway.

I really applaud your stupidity. Only you can say things that get dumber and more single-minded every post and still keep posting. You get pummeled, shot down, every time you post something like this by things that just make much more sense and are backed up by evidence.

If anything, you push away people with your statements. Instead of making others see your side of view and make them think that Fitz might not be the answer, you make them think that Fitz isn't terrible and might work out after all.

I really applaud your stupidity. Only you can say things that get dumber and more single-minded every post and still keep posting. You get pummeled, shot down, every time you post something like this by things that just make much more sense and are backed up by evidence.

If anything, you push away people with your statements. Instead of making others see your side of view and make them think that Fitz might not be the answer, you make them think that Fitz isn't terrible and might work out after all.

I never get shot down. Actually I prove how dumb most people are. 4 wins, then 6 wins, league leader in INTs, leader in 3 and outs, towards the bottom in 3rd down percentage, highest ever rank was 22nd, Jaworski puts him 24th, Fitzpatrick is going into his 8th season of being a terrible QB, and it cannot even be debated. He has sucked his entire career, and the best thing that can happen for the Bills to win is if Fitzpatrick gets hurt. Hope it happens. I want the Bills to have a chance, and Fitzpatrick gives the Bills NO CHANCE.

Edited by paintmyhouse

To play along with the OP's scenario, I wouldnt say he would replace Kelly, but rather he would be an additional legend in the Bills history.

For the younger generation that has only been following the team for the past 10-15 years, a franchise turn around of that magnitude would probably put Fitz ahead for them. He's what they know, and the players that end this steak of sorrow will definitely have their place in the books.

Since Kelly is still so active with the team and community, it would be tough to move ahead of him as the icon of the team. However, Kelly has a 25 year head start on building his legend. A Super Bowl victory would be the greatest game/event in team history, so I do believe it would earn Fitz a place on our Mt Rushmore.

But when it comes down to it, Kelly was/is more "Buffalo" and therefore will always be the face of the franchise. Gritty, strong, blue collar guy that loves to drink and party. We might as well add him to the logo, riding the Buffalo.