If Fitzpatrick Wins The Superbowl

hell no

the team will win the game not the beard. Trent Dilfer ..... what's his legacy?

You're smarter than that. Right?

The 2000? Ravens had one of the best defenses in the history of football and won a Super Bowl laregly depstite Dilfer at QB. If the Bills win the Super Bowl (can't believe I'm participating in this thread), then Fitzpatrick is going to have to play an enormous role.

You're smarter than that. Right?

The 2000? Ravens had one of the best defenses in the history of football and won a Super Bowl laregly depstite Dilfer at QB. If the Bills win the Super Bowl (can't believe I'm participating in this thread), then Fitzpatrick is going to have to play an enormous role.

Dude its when, not if. C'mon man

I never get shot down. Actually I prove how dumb most people are. 4 wins, then 6 wins, league leader in INTs, leader in 3 and outs, towards the bottom in 3rd down percentage, highest ever rank was 22nd, Jaworski puts him 24th, Fitzpatrick is going into his 9th season of being a terrible QB, and it cannot even be debated. He has sucked his entire career, and the best thing that can happen for the Bills to win is if Fitzpatrick gets hurt. Hope it happens. I want the Bills to have a chance, and Fitzpatrick gives the Bills NO CHANCE.

Fitz is far from a terrible QB. He is a starting QB for the NFL, only 31 other people can say that. Terrible QB's never make it out of college or are the 3rd QBs for teams.

While Bills have had Fitz as the starting QB, they have scored over 21 points 14 times out of 30; winning 7. In the 23 loses they lost 11 times, they were in the game until the game ended. Not good stats but lets break it into the two seasons.

2010 season: they scored 21 in 4 games, winning 1; in the 3 loses they were in the game until it ended twice, one being in OT (the Ravens game). *Note that they also had two other OT games. The Steelers and Chiefs. Ravens game they lost because of the controversial fumble. Steelers they lost because of the Steve drop. Chiefs they lost by the last second field goal in OT.*

Last season, they scored over 21 points 10 times. They won 6 of those. In the 4 loses, they were a play away from winning 3 times. The one game they weren't in it, it was the Pats* game.

That shows improvement and that we can improve on last years performance. It should at least earn Fitz the title of average to above-average. :o

As for the rankings: Leading in INTs, so did Brett Farve, he won a Super Bowl, led his team to the playoffs a bunch of times so it shows that you can still get to the playoffs if you have a lot of INT. He also has the chance to cut down on them by having receivers that don't defect that ball up in the air and a defense that doesn't force him to push the ball.

Leader in 3 and outs and bad 3rd down %: Predictable play calling and no push on the line for the short situations. Hard to convert with that kind of problem.

Ranking: A QB is as good as his surroundings and play calling. Chan is pass happy but doesn't have the weapons to make it work, especially with the injuries. You need a mixture of short, intermediate, and deep passes. We didn't have any one for the deep pass realistically (plus no time). Defenses were able to stop the short game by pressing the line. The intermediate passing wasn't there after the Redskins game and then kind of got back towards the end of the season. We need a balanced attack for Fitz to look better and to win. He hasn't proven he can win after throwing over 30 passes.

The fact that this can't be debated is already proven wrong because I'm debating it right now, and there has been multiple threads where debating has taken place on this subject. ^_^

And as for the Bills having a better chance at winning with out Fitz. :huh::unsure: That doesn't make any sense. You would rather have Vince Young start for us? :doh: He hasn't played on this team and due to the difficulty of the offense, doesn't seem to have a shot at starting for this team, let alone starting well. How about Thigpen? :doh: He's worse than Fitz and if you think Fitz is terrible, I can't imagine what you would call Thiggy. Brad Smith? :doh: Please, he's not a starting QB.

So you want to draft one? :doh: That involves a whole new roster. A whole new rebuilding plan. A whole new FO in all likely hood. Assuming they get a QB with starting potential, it would take about two or three years, if not more, to get a winning record, let alone a playoff berth. And then what if this QB doesn't work out and isn't our next franchise QB. These guys aren't at every corner. Great QB's aren't even waiting at the phone to be called in for a try out. You have to work with what you've got.

We've got a smart QB with above average talent with a defense with a crap load of talent. We have the talent to make the playoffs. We have the talent to make a playoff run. We have the talent to make it to Super Bowl. We have the talent to WIN the Super Bowl. To say that Fitz is a terrible QB is single-minded, self-centered, and just plain dumb to say. :thumbdown:

RYAN FITZPATRICK!! 2013 SUPER BOWL MVP :worthy:

Fitzpatrick is the worst unchallenged starter in the NFL once again. Don't use the college QB thing, that is so cheeseball and pathetic. He is in the NFL, obviously that makes him talented, but just because he starts doesn't mean he is any good. He is completely unsuccessful, he has never been good,he has never been a winner, he has sucked and always will suck, as a starter, he would be fine as a backup. He has very little talent and is not close to being a leader that inspires better play from his teammates. That is obvious my the lack of success he has had his entire NFL career now on his 3rd franchise where he has been dreadful.

I really applaud your stupidity. Only you can say things that get dumber and more single-minded every post and still keep posting.

He's not stupid, he's a Troll. He's trying to get people all riled and bothered with each and every post, that's what his species of Troll does. He can't be shot down, because he's already down (down under his bridge, Troll lodgings)

Don't feed the troll!

Fitz is far from a terrible QB. He is a starting QB for the NFL, only 31 other people can say that. Terrible QB's never make it out of college or are the 3rd QBs for teams.

Step away from the Troll food, now, Insight.

Fitzpatrick is the worst unchallenged starter in the NFL once again. Don't use the college QB thing, that is so cheeseball and pathetic. He is in the NFL, obviously that makes him talented, but just because he starts doesn't mean he is any good. He is completely unsuccessful, he has never been good,he has never been a winner, he has sucked and always will suck, as a starter, he would be fine as a backup. He has very little talent and is not close to being a leader that inspires better play from his teammates. That is obvious my the lack of success he has had his entire NFL career now on his 3rd franchise where he has been dreadful.

Where is the proof that he will always suck? Where is the proof that he has never been a winner? Where is the proof that he has no talent?

When he started in Week 3 of 2009, he was basically coming in as a rookie with nothing around him. He needed to learn the ropes of the offense and he needed to get weapons around him and a defense. The first time in his career, he has that. Chan Gailey has given him a chance to prove himself. If you look at the beginning of last year, it seems like he might do just that, prove himself as a starting QB.

Last year alone proves that he hasn't always sucked, he hasn't always lost, and he has talent. He didn't have a defense and he creamed the Chiefs, hung in there against the Raiders while his defense kept giving up scores and big plays, beat out Tom Brady. Gave the team a chance to win the Bengals game but the defense couldn't make the stop. He took advantage of the turnovers his defense got and got scores on them to propel them to an early lead and a win. Against the Giants, he gave up two costly INT but if his defense bailed him out on at least 1 (1!!!) of them and only allowed a FG, they win the game. He creamed the Redskins. Then the next three games, they were out of the game by the middle of the 2nd quarter because of the defense and Gailey's predictable play-calling. He gave Stevie a chance to catch the game winning pass twice, but he didn't catch them. They had a chance to win the 2nd Dolphins game but the defense let a big run go for 6 and put them out of the game. He beat the red hot Tebow after the defense did what they needed to do. They beat the Pats* in the 1st half but the Defense let Tommy boy back in.

I respect people's opinions, but your opinion is just so out there and has never been expressed by anybody else at such a level, I'm just wondering where you're getting this conclusion from.

He's not stupid, he's a Troll. He's trying to get people all riled and bothered with each and every post, that's what his species of Troll does. He can't be shot down, because he's already down (down under his bridge, Troll lodgings)

Don't feed the troll!

Step away from the Troll food, now, Insight.

Ahh man, too late. But that was the last post, I swear.

I'll not comment on the probability of the event and give the question the serious answer I think the OP was looking for...

No, Fitz wouldn't move ahead of Kelly as a Buffalo icon even if the Bills won the SB this year.

Kelly transformed a 2-14 team and league laughingstock into a Super Bowl contender. We won many games over that evolution on the strength of Kelly's arm. And many more on the strength of his leadership and sheer will.

Kelly seemed to epitomize the Buffalo spirit. He was a kid that some universities didn't want - at least not as their QB. But he was blue-collar, gutsy, tough, hard-working and confident. In other words, he was just like us - or how we imagine ourselves to be.

Kelly came to town when the team was abysmal and nothing seemed to be right in Buffalo and he gave us several years of glory - with some heart-rending disappointments along the way.

Fitz is an Ivy League boy who would be working on Wall Street if not in the NFL. He just doesn't connect as well with our rust belt sensibilities. And if we did win the Super Bowl, the credit would be spread evenly around to Nix, Chan, and all the players. Less of our success would be attributed - rightly or wrongly - to the QB. And - if we won the SB - the transformation would not be quite the same rags to riches story. We weren't horrible when Fitz came here. Just profoundly and persistently mediocre.

While his position wouldn't yet be as elevated as Kelly's in the pantheon of Buffalo sports, I think we could see a lot of Buffalonians growing out Fitzian beards if we won the SB.

Teen Insight, you are a good Kid. And have an outstanding attitude by my account.

Nice to read posts from a youngster with his head screwed on right :thumbsup:

I'll not comment on the probability of the event and give the question the serious answer I think the OP was looking for...

No, Fitz wouldn't move ahead of Kelly as a Buffalo icon even if the Bills won the SB this year.

Kelly transformed a 2-14 team and league laughingstock into a Super Bowl contender. We won many games over that evolution on the strength of Kelly's arm. And many more on the strength of his leadership and sheer will.

Kelly seemed to epitomize the Buffalo spirit. He was a kid that some universities didn't want - at least not as their QB. But he was blue-collar, gutsy, tough, hard-working and confident. In other words, he was just like us - or how we imagine ourselves to be.

Kelly came to town when the team was abysmal and nothing seemed to be right in Buffalo and he gave us several years of glory - with some heart-rending disappointments along the way.

Fitz is an Ivy League boy who would be working on Wall Street if not in the NFL. He just doesn't connect as well with our rust belt sensibilities. And if we did win the Super Bowl, the credit would be spread evenly around to Nix, Chan, and all the players. Less of our success would be attributed - rightly or wrongly - to the QB. And - if we won the SB - the transformation would not be quite the same rags to riches story. We weren't horrible when Fitz came here. Just profoundly and persistently mediocre.

While his position wouldn't yet be as elevated as Kelly's in the pantheon of Buffalo sports, I think we could see a lot of Buffalonians growing out Fitzian beards if we won the SB.

even though you vote no, this story has a similar ring to Fitzes, doesn't it Hondo.

I think the fans of Buffalo Bills right now consider Ryan an underdog who just might be what you have described about our Jim. I dont think Fitz wears the sweatervest anymore. i think he wears a blue collared button down casual and a chip on his shoulder

Somehow, when I read this, I hear patriotic music and see an American flag waving. I expected the post to end with "I'm Hondo in Seattle, and I Approve This Message".

The thing is, that view of the transformation of the late-80s Bills is just so much hogwash and hooey. Bruce Smith was drafted #1 in 1985. So was Andre' Reed.

We already had Talley at that point.

Kelly came to town in 1986 along with a mid-season coaching change to Levy and a mighty 2 additional wins. 1987 draft brought Shane Conlan and Biscuit Bennett through one of the most masterful trades in NFL history, and an improvement to 7 and 8 record in 1987.

1988 draft brought Thurman Thomas, a 12-4 record, and the Bills were on their way.

The point being, to those of us who lived through it, you might as justifably say that Bruce Smith, or Thurman Thomas, or Marv Levy single-handedly transformed the Bills from a laughingstock into a SB contender. Many of our best players were in place before Kelly arrived, and the team didn't turn it around and start winning until additional pieces were added and a couple of years went by. Yes, we won games on Kelly's arm, just as we won games on the strength of our defense and the dual-threat and sure hands of Thurman Thomas.

Kelly is iconic in Buffalo, but so are Smith, Bennett, Reed, and Thomas.

So I don't know where you get the notion that Kelly singlehandedly turned the franchise around in the '80s or that it's seen that way in Buffalo. To some talking heads in the national media, perhaps. To the long time fan, the credit IS spread evenly around to Polian, Levy, Marchibroda, Thomas, Smith, Bennett, and all the players. Just as any success we win now will be spread to Nix, Chan, and all the players.

Now all that is not to say Fitz and Kelly are in the same league. Kelly was a bona-fide college star recruited to play QB at the top level in college and was always expected to be a franchise-changer when drafted in the first round. Fitz is a gamer with a big heart, but it remains to be proven that he really has big-league QB skills that can last through a season, something never in question for Kelly.

But that seems, in some ways, just to dilute your argument that Kelly is a blue-collar underdog while Fitz doesn't "connect" with rust-belt sensibilities. Fitz is a true NFL underdog - the guy who was given long odds to be drafted, let alone to make it in the NFL, let alone to start. Kelly was a bit of a rich playboy in Buffalo. Fitz feeds his neighbors from crockpots, plays with his kids, and takes his OL to breakfast.

I don't know what you call "consistently mediocre", but the football I saw in 2010 before Fitz took over was just mind-numbingly, overwhelmingly bad. And in some ways, it's harder to recover from being consistently mediocre - you draft low enough to miss the franchise-changing stars, but too high (in the pre-rookie salary cap days) to buy lots of FA.

While Bills have had Fitz as the starting QB, they have scored over 21 points 14 times out of 30; winning 7. In the 23 loses they lost 11 times, they were in the game until the game ended. Not good stats but lets break it into the two seasons.

2010 season: they scored 21 in 4 games, winning 1; in the 3 loses they were in the game until it ended twice, one being in OT (the Ravens game). *Note that they also had two other OT games. The Steelers and Chiefs. Ravens game they lost because of the controversial fumble. Steelers they lost because of the Steve drop. Chiefs they lost by the last second field goal in OT.*

Last season, they scored over 21 points 10 times. They won 6 of those. In the 4 loses, they were a play away from winning 3 times. The one game they weren't in it, it was the Pats* game.

That shows improvement and that we can improve on last years performance. It should at least earn Fitz the title of average to above-average. :o

As for the rankings: Leading in INTs, so did Brett Farve, he won a Super Bowl, led his team to the playoffs a bunch of times so it shows that you can still get to the playoffs if you have a lot of INT. He also has the chance to cut down on them by having receivers that don't defect that ball up in the air and a defense that doesn't force him to push the ball.

Leader in 3 and outs and bad 3rd down %: Predictable play calling and no push on the line for the short situations. Hard to convert with that kind of problem.

Ranking: A QB is as good as his surroundings and play calling. Chan is pass happy but doesn't have the weapons to make it work, especially with the injuries. You need a mixture of short, intermediate, and deep passes. We didn't have any one for the deep pass realistically (plus no time). Defenses were able to stop the short game by pressing the line. The intermediate passing wasn't there after the Redskins game and then kind of got back towards the end of the season. We need a balanced attack for Fitz to look better and to win. He hasn't proven he can win after throwing over 30 passes.

The fact that this can't be debated is already proven wrong because I'm debating it right now, and there has been multiple threads where debating has taken place on this subject. ^_^

And as for the Bills having a better chance at winning with out Fitz. :huh::unsure: That doesn't make any sense. You would rather have Vince Young start for us? :doh: He hasn't played on this team and due to the difficulty of the offense, doesn't seem to have a shot at starting for this team, let alone starting well. How about Thigpen? :doh: He's worse than Fitz and if you think Fitz is terrible, I can't imagine what you would call Thiggy. Brad Smith? :doh: Please, he's not a starting QB.

So you want to draft one? :doh: That involves a whole new roster. A whole new rebuilding plan. A whole new FO in all likely hood. Assuming they get a QB with starting potential, it would take about two or three years, if not more, to get a winning record, let alone a playoff berth. And then what if this QB doesn't work out and isn't our next franchise QB. These guys aren't at every corner. Great QB's aren't even waiting at the phone to be called in for a try out. You have to work with what you've got.

We've got a smart QB with above average talent with a defense with a crap load of talent. We have the talent to make the playoffs. We have the talent to make a playoff run. We have the talent to make it to Super Bowl. We have the talent to WIN the Super Bowl. To say that Fitz is a terrible QB is single-minded, self-centered, and just plain dumb to say. :thumbdown:

RYAN FITZPATRICK!! 2013 SUPER BOWL MVP :worthy:

The truth about Fitzpatrick is somewhere between what you've indicated in your post and what paintmyhouse has opined. Is Fitz "terrible"--i.e., a bottom-five starter? No. This past season Fitz averaged 6.7 yards per pass attempt, as opposed to 6.4 for Mark Sanchez. This, despite the fact that Sanchez had a stronger supporting cast than Fitz. That's just one example of a starting QB that Fitz is better than, and there are plenty of other examples.

But is Fitz at or near a franchise level of play? Again, no. In Fitz's best season he averaged 6.8 yards per pass attempt. A QB typically needs to have a career average of 7.2 - 7.4 yards per attempt to be considered franchise. Just one season in that neighborhood is not enough. Trent Edwards, for example, averaged 7.2 yards per pass attempt in his best season, yet he can't even get a starting job. Fitz is a better quarterback than Edwards. Unfortunately, Fitz is closer to the Edwards level than he is to the Tom Brady level.

As for the argument that Fitz "outplayed" Brady during the first matchup between the Bills and the Patriots . . . Tom Brady threw a total of 12 interceptions during the 2011 season, which works out to an average of 0.75 INTs per game. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 23 INTs in 2011, or 1.4 per game.

In the first Bills/Patriots matchup, Brady threw 4 INTs: over five times as many as his usual. Fitzpatrick threw (IIRC) two interceptions, or about 1.4 times as many as his usual. From a turnovers standpoint, Fitz's performance was fairly normal by his standards for the season. Whereas Brady's performance was absolutely terrible. Of the 12 INTs Brady threw in 2011, 1/3 were thrown in that particular game; and the other 2/3 were spread out among the remaining 15 games.

Despite the advantage in turnover differential, the Patriots almost won that game. On plays that didn't involve turnovers, Brady was significantly more productive against the Bills' defense than Fitzpatrick was against the Patriots' injury riddled pass defense. That Patriots' passing defense had so many injuries that, statistically, it became one of the two worst passing defenses in NFL history.

It's absurd to say Fitz is "terrible," because he isn't. But it's equally absurd to suggest that he's at or near a franchise level. The numbers to support that claim aren't there, and the throwing accuracy needed to support that claim isn't there either.

It's possible for a team to win the Super Bowl without having a franchise QB. The most recent time that occurred was back in 2002 (2002 season, 2003 postseason), when Brad Johnson led the Bucs to a Super Bowl win. If everything goes exactly right, maybe the Bills will have as good a defense as the Bucs had that year. And maybe Fitz will have a career-best year, much like the year Brad Johnson had in 2002. And maybe the Bills' postseason opponents will be as weak as the ones the Bucs faced back in 2002. I personally feel that the probability of all that happening is vanishingly small.

Another way for the Bills to win the Super Bowl would be for Fitz to greatly and permanently improve his throwing accuracy. If he takes a major step up in the quality of his play, and if that gets coupled with the kind of defense and offensive supporting cast we're all hoping to see, there's at least a chance of a Super Bowl win.

But if Fitz fails to improve the quality of his play, the best possible thing the Bills could do would be to draft a QB in the first round. (Assuming, of course, that there's one worthy of being highly drafted when the Bills pick.)

Jets did not have a better supporting cast than the Bills, not even close. Bills were way better at RB, and of they two teams the Bills have the best WR too. The Bills group of WRs were just as good, even injured to the Jets. Jets were only better at TE with Keller. Jets were pathetic and inept for the same reasons the Bills may have been, just no WRs. Same for the Phins. David Nelson has more catches than any Jets WR did. Bills were 13th in rushing,the Jets 22nd.

Edited by paintmyhouse

I never get shot down. Actually I prove how dumb most people are. 4 wins, then 6 wins, league leader in INTs, leader in 3 and outs, towards the bottom in 3rd down percentage, highest ever rank was 22nd, Jaworski puts him 24th, Fitzpatrick is going into his 8th season of being a terrible QB, and it cannot even be debated. He has sucked his entire career, and the best thing that can happen for the Bills to win is if Fitzpatrick gets hurt. Hope it happens. I want the Bills to have a chance, and Fitzpatrick gives the Bills NO CHANCE.

Go away Trent, dont you have the Eagles offense to learn?

even though you vote no, this story has a similar ring to Fitzes, doesn't it Hondo.

I think the fans of Buffalo Bills right now consider Ryan an underdog who just might be what you have described about our Jim. I dont think Fitz wears the sweatervest anymore. i think he wears a blue collared button down casual and a chip on his shoulder

Ya know, I might be one of the guys growing a beard if Fitz leads us to the Super Bowl. I do appreciate that he has removed the Ivy League sweater-vest and behaves like just one of the guys. I love the loyalty he shows to his teammates. And his corny sense of humor. And how he screams like a prepubescent girl when he gets excited. Well, maybe not that last one so much. But I love that he has fun on the field.

As for SB probabilities, I feel the Bills have better odds this year (and in the near future) than at any other time since Kelly et al. retired. I like the way this team is coming together and do believe Fitz can win a SB with the right surrounding cast.

Somehow, when I read this, I hear patriotic music and see an American flag waving. I expected the post to end with "I'm Hondo in Seattle, and I Approve This Message".

The thing is, that view of the transformation of the late-80s Bills is just so much hogwash and hooey. Bruce Smith was drafted #1 in 1985. So was Andre' Reed.

We already had Talley at that point.

Kelly came to town in 1986 along with a mid-season coaching change to Levy and a mighty 2 additional wins. 1987 draft brought Shane Conlan and Biscuit Bennett through one of the most masterful trades in NFL history, and an improvement to 7 and 8 record in 1987.

1988 draft brought Thurman Thomas, a 12-4 record, and the Bills were on their way.

The point being, to those of us who lived through it, you might as justifably say that Bruce Smith, or Thurman Thomas, or Marv Levy single-handedly transformed the Bills from a laughingstock into a SB contender.

Actually, I agree with you that Kelly did not single-handedly transform the Bills. But he was always the face of that transformation - far more so than Andre, Thurman or Bruce. Obviously, a lot of good things needed to coalesce for the Bills to win the AFC four years in a row. But, fair or not, one guy got a lion's share of the credit. And there were reasons why.

Maybe because I live out-of-state now, but I just don't sense that Fitz resonates with the fans like Kelly did. Fitz might be a better human being than Kelly, but the rise of the Super Bowl Bills and Jim Kelly are inextricably linked. And Kelly always seemed like one of us even despite (and maybe partly because of) his foibles.

Fitz is more like the accidental QB who is maybe the right person in the right place at the right time.

Is Fitz generating the kind of excitement Kelly did when he came to town? Do as many people wear Fitz jersey's as wore Kelly jerseys in the late 80s, early 90s? Not hardly.

The OP's question is will Fitz move ahead of Kelly as a Buffalo icon if Fitz wins a SB. We can only speculate but my guess is still no.

The OP's question is will Fitz move ahead of Kelly as a Buffalo icon if Fitz wins a SB. We can only speculate but my guess is still no.

On that part, we agree. On my side, not because Kelly was the "face of the franchise" - I think if Fitz finds consistent success, his jersey sales will skyrocket not to mention Fitzmagic and Amish Rifle shirts in various incarnations.

But because Kelly played at such a high level for such a long time. One Superbowl win would only start the process.