Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?

Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?

Now, if there's one ex-San Diego Charger everyone would love Buddy Nix to grab, it would be Drew Brees. Brees is very unhappy with the current contract negotiations between him & the Saints, and says he will not sign the one-year franchise tag option.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82929823/article/saints-unmoved-by-drew-brees-frustration-with-contract-talks?module=HP11_headline_stack

Brees has broken Marino's passing record, and has been an elite passer in the league for years. Not only did Brees help turn the Saints into a Superbowl contender, but he helped turned them into a Superbowl champion.

I know it's a pipe dream, but who wouldn't be excited about having Drew Brees as the Bills starting QB?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope. Brees has enough in the tank with the right top team to win a championship but we're not that team. Our line wouldn't be able to keep up with this passing, our offense is not designed to suit him. Getting Brees now would be a 2 year band-aid where we might have built the team up enough to win. This is a cold, outdoor stadium not an indoor stadium and bringing him will only shorten his career span.

Plus, his attitude would be a disruption to this team. His "me" first BS is pathetic. Stop with the Brees threads, he's a douche.

Nope. Brees has enough in the tank with the right top team to win a championship but we're not that team. Our line wouldn't be able to keep up with this passing, our offense is not designed to suit him. Getting Brees now would be a 2 year band-aid where we might have built the team up enough to win. This is a cold, outdoor stadium not an indoor stadium and bringing him will only shorten his career span.

Plus, his attitude would be a disruption to this team. His "me" first BS is pathetic. Stop with the Brees threads, he's a douche.

I'd rather have a team of pompous azzes that are winners, compared to the good character softees that Levy/Jauron wanted.

I'd rather have a team of pompous azzes that are winners, compared to the good character softees that Levy/Jauron wanted.

I'm glad someone else sees it this way. A lot of people on this board think we are trying to win a human interest contest.

As far as Bree's goes I doubt they could make the cap work after the Williams signing and they would have to give up a gang of picks.

brees isn't going anywhere...period !!

brees wants to be the HIGHEST paid QB in the league, he is 33 years old.....the saints will save money by paying him the average of the top 5 players at his position(franchise tag value). they could also franchise tag him again next year for a 20% premium over this years franchise tag value and still save money without the long term commitment and/or crazy upfront guaranteed money of a long term deal.

i actually hope they jerk him around....he is a phony. the statements he has made during the lockout, statements about retired players, his pretending he knew nothing of bounty gate when he is a leader of the players union....i accept his talent on the field is superstar status....but in my opinion he is a phony piece of chit.

Anyone who says no has issues.

But Brees won't be going anywhere.

Wow, I just saw the vote breakdown. Didn't mean to offend, just assumed 99.9 percent would be on board with having a superstar leading this team. Oh well.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

He's too old! Been there, done that with another "old" Drew, and it didn't work very well.

Buddy Nix may have a past with the guy but, it's too far in the past, and all Buddy's great picks of the past are now well over 30.

I'd vote NO before we end up with another "Over the Hill Gang!

Nope. Brees has enough in the tank with the right top team to win a championship but we're not that team. Our line wouldn't be able to keep up with this passing, our offense is not designed to suit him. Getting Brees now would be a 2 year band-aid where we might have built the team up enough to win. This is a cold, outdoor stadium not an indoor stadium and bringing him will only shorten his career span.Plus, his attitude would be a disruption to this team. His "me" first BS is pathetic. Stop with the Brees threads, he's a douche.

So we shouldnt want Brees because we might have, at some point, won as many games without him?

Is there a better way to "build a team up" than to toss in perhaps the NFL's best franchise QB of the past 5 years? It's not like we just drafted a top QB prospect. I like Fitz a lot, but he's not a young guy and why on earth would you want him over a a player like Brees? You don't think the team would win more games with Brees? Chan's pass happy offense would be fine for Brees.

And,really, a couple of cold games a year in Buffalo in December would shorten Brees's career?? You do realize that the Saints don't play 16 home games... Has the cold weather ever shortened any top QB's career? Where do you get this stuff?---and the "me first" nonsense? Show me any report that says that Brees was a problem for his teammates?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Hahahahaha, this poll is hilarious. Almost a 50-50 split? Anyone voting no should never be taken serious on this board again. Bree's and the Bills would be a SB favorite for the next 5 years and would be a major threat to win it this year...or you can stick with Fitz and go into the season with a question mark still at the most important position in all of team sports...hmmm, tough choice LMAO

Depends on what the trade is. We'd likely have to give up a ton of draft picks and players, and then we'd be looking at a team with a bunch of holes again. If I were more confident in our depth, I'd blindly say yes. But since I'm not, I'll refrain from answering until I see the proposed trade.

Hahahahaha, this poll is hilarious. Almost a 50-50 split? Anyone voting no should never be taken serious on this board again. Bree's and the Bills would be a SB favorite for the next 5 years and would be a major threat to win it this year...or you can stick with Fitz and go into the season with a question mark still at the most important position in all of team sports...hmmm, tough choice LMAO

Hahahahaahahaha, this opinion is hilarious and ignores the *cost* of the trade. You should never be taken serious on this board again.

There is no way this happens, but what do think it will take to make this trade. I think the RG3 trade made the market for QB too rich to make it doable for the Bills. I think it would take 2 firsts and a player. I think a first and 2 NSF might do it. My answer is yes I'd do that deal. But do we enough cap room to sign Brees?

How can anyone guarantee success when there is little proof to substantiate it. Very few QB's (even the great ones) have success on other teams other than the one they were originally successful on. Look at Joe Montana and others who've tried and never really reached that level elsewhere. That's why you'll NEVER see Brady on any team but the pats IMO. Let's wait and see what P. Manning does in Denver too. I also agree Brees won't be going anywhere, but either way there are no guarantees and disagreeing or voting no isn't crazy.

What was that all about anyway? I understand why you want guys with good character on your team, and seems like the current Bills squad is full of talented guys with good character. In retrospect, it really does appear they made alot of draft picks solely on how nice a guy was. They dug a deep hole that Chan seems to be climbing this team out of.

But back to the topic, Breese is amazing but not the piece the Bills are looking for due to what he would cost. Drafting a franchize qb will be the next step if this team proves to be solid on the field this year. And I truly believe if the Bills stay healthy this year, they will be a playoff caliber team. Finally, a roster with enough NFL talent to compete..its been so long.

Depends on what the trade is. We'd likely have to give up a ton of draft picks and players, and then we'd be looking at a team with a bunch of holes again. If I were more confident in our depth, I'd blindly say yes. But since I'm not, I'll refrain from answering until I see the proposed trade.

Hahahahaahahaha, this opinion is hilarious and ignores the *cost* of the trade. You should never be taken serious on this board again.

-

Sometimes, people can way overanalyze simple things. Like worrying about money--it's not yours!--and future draft picks for getting a superstar who would put a team into instant playoff status.

It's Drew Freakin Brees, man.

He's too old! Been there, done that with another "old" Drew, and it didn't work very well.

Buddy Nix may have a past with the guy but, it's too far in the past, and all Buddy's great picks of the past are now well over 30.

I'd vote NO before we end up with another "Over the Hill Gang!

Yep, you're right, Brees is old and over the hill. I can't believe that old, over the hill QB only threw for 5,476 yards and only 46 TD's last season. :doh:

In Brees' 6 season with the Saints, he's thrown for 28,394 yards (an average of 4732 yards perseason), and 201 TD's (an average of 33.5 TD's a year). Nah, the Bills don't need a QB of that caliber on their team, do they?! :wallbash::censored:

What was that all about anyway? I understand why you want guys with good character on your team, and seems like the current Bills squad is full of talented guys with good character. In retrospect, it really does appear they made alot of draft picks solely on how nice a guy was. They dug a deep hole that Chan seems to be climbing this team out of.

But back to the topic, Breese is amazing but not the piece the Bills are looking for due to what he would cost. Drafting a franchize qb will be the next step if this team proves to be solid on the field this year. And I truly believe if the Bills stay healthy this year, they will be a playoff caliber team. Finally, a roster with enough NFL talent to compete..its been so long.

What was that all about anyway? Well, since you didn't read the post that I replied to, here it is from jboyst62: "Plus, his attitude would be a disruption to this team. His "me" first BS is pathetic. Stop with the Brees threads, he's a douche." Who gives a rats ass if Brees has a "me first attitude" & is "a douche". The Superbowl era Bills weren't all exactly "fan-friendly" during their time in the NFL, but they were winners.

I think Nix & Gailey have the Bills pointed in the right direction. Yes, Brees would cost around $15-$20 million a year, but he is worth it. The Bills FO would have to do some shuffling around no doubt. Fitz would have to be included in the trade (that’s if the Saints want him), in order to free up his salary. Another pplayer this could impact would be Chris Kelsay. With the additions of Mario Williams & Mark Anderson, would the Bills consider trading or cutting Kelsay loose to save on his salary? I can’t see Kelsay as a full-time starter anymore. You can add Dwan Edwards, & Shawne Merriman to that list of players the Bills FO could save money on.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::worthy:

Well said!

How can anyone guarantee success when there is little proof to substantiate it. Very few QB's (even the great ones) have success on other teams other than the one they were originally successful on. Look at Joe Montana and others who've tried and never really reached that level elsewhere. That's why you'll NEVER see Brady on any team but the pats IMO. Let's wait and see what P. Manning does in Denver too. I also agree Brees won't be going anywhere, but either way there are no guarantees and disagreeing or voting no isn't crazy.

Montana took the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game vs the Bills. Favre took the Vikings to the NFC Championship game vs the Bounty Hunters...excuse me...Saints.

AMEN! :worthy:

No way! Fitz is way better!

:lol: Don't want to mess up team chemistry either! Edited by Rico

Montana took the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game vs the Bills. Favre took the Vikings to the NFC Championship game vs the Bounty Hunters...excuse me...Saints.

How much did those teams give up to acquire the players in question?

I don't know how anyone can automatically say "yes" when they don't know what the price is.

I'm glad someone else sees it this way. A lot of people on this board think we are trying to win a human interest contest.

As far as Bree's goes I doubt they could make the cap work after the Williams signing and they would have to give up a gang of picks.

Williams? Who else are they going to trade to get brees? Fitz and spiller?

Brees is an enigma to me. In San Diego, he was not great... Surrounded by no talent and the battalion of great wr's, te, and rb's he's flourished. But his career didn't start off terribly different than fitz's.

For me this season he proves he is a top 10 qb in the nfl, of the bills draft a qb in rd 1

If the opportunity is presented -- you have to at least explore it. If it even leaked that he was on the block, there would be riots in the streets in NO. No way they even explore this with the current state of the Franchise--they have to pay the man.

How much did those teams give up to acquire the players in question?

I don't know how anyone can automatically say "yes" when they don't know what the price is.

Nix has been building a championship caliber defense (especially this season). IMO, the Bills window of opportunity for success could be for 3-4 years before having to do some rebuilding. Even if Brees is signed to a short contract (such as 3-4 years), he still gives you the best option to win a Superbowl.

A question for everyone that says "No" to Brees: is Fitz good enough to win a Superbowl (let alone win playoff games)?

I voted "yes" because Brees is clearly better than Fitz. We could draft and groom a future QB while Brees leads us to the playoffs a couple times.

But this is all just pointless speculation. N.O. won't trade Brees. Even if they did, the asking price would be too high. I wouldn't be willing to mortgage our future to get a QB who's probably going to soon slide beyond his prime.

Nix has been building a championship caliber defense (especially this season). IMO, the Bills window of opportunity for success could be for 3-4 years before having to do some rebuilding. Even if Brees is signed to a short contract (such as 3-4 years), he still gives you the best option to win a Superbowl.

A question for everyone that says "No" to Brees: is Fitz good enough to win a Superbowl (let alone win playoff games)?

100 PERCENT CORRECT

No matter how great of a job Nix is doing, quarterbacks of Brees caliber don't exactly grow on trees.

I can't believe anyone would vote 'No' on this poll. If you asked Fitz, I would bet he would vote 'Yes.'

Joe D would rip his own name off the Wall of Fame.

Right after ripping Brees' head from his shoulders and pissing down his neck.

GO BILLS!!!

He'd have to catch him first, I don't think Joe D can run too fast these days.

100 PERCENT CORRECT

No matter how great of a job Nix is doing, quarterbacks of Brees caliber don't exactly grow on trees.

I can't believe anyone would vote 'No' on this poll. If you asked Fitz, I would bet he would vote 'Yes.'

Exactly. QB's of Brees' caliber don't grow on trees which is why I see no way that New Orleans even considers getting rid of him. He's the face of that franchise.

Edited by biglukes