Eric Wood

I know the knock on him has been his health. Unfortunately, his first major injury was a freak accident, which normally doesn’t happen often in the NFL. But his second major injury (last year) was a typical one. I’d love to see the Bills resign Wood, but I completely understand about needing a durable football player, especially at the Center position. Wood is a blue-collar guy, a fan favorite, and a great football player when he is healthy. But if he gets injured again this season, I doubt the Bills would try to resign him (as painful as that sounds).

I don't understand this post at all. How is a broken leg and a busted knee, two totally unrelated injuries, a "health issue?"

A health issue is a bad knee, shoulder, ankle, etc. that keeps giving you problems. You could describe Kyle Williams and Shawne Merriman as having heakth issues. Wood's issue is more like bad luck.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Welp, luckily we have 2 more years to figure it out.

Hopefully he stays healthy this year and plays all 16 games. :thumbsup:

The man was on his way to a pro bowl season before his injury, same with Fred Jackson.

I think the drop off in overall line play after Wood was injured last season is the main reason as to why the team went downhill so fast. Huge difference between when he was in there and when he wasn't.

The Bills added depth at LT & center in this years draft in rounds 5 & 6, but who knows if those players will even make the team. Like OT Ed Wang who was selected in the 5th in 2010.

I don't understand this post at all. How is a broken leg and a busted knee, two totally unrelated injuries, a "health issue?"

A health issue is a bad knee, shoulder, ankle, etc. that keeps giving you problems. You could describe Kyle Williams and Shawne Merriman as having heakth issues. Wood's issue is more like bad luck.

PTR

+1

I know the knock on him has been his health. Unfortunately, his first major injury was a freak accident, which normally doesn’t happen often in the NFL. But his second major injury (last year) was a typical one. I’d love to see the Bills resign Wood, but I completely understand about needing a durable football player, especially at the Center position. Wood is a blue-collar guy, a fan favorite, and a great football player when he is healthy. But if he gets injured again this season, I doubt the Bills would try to resign him (as painful as that sounds).

well put!!! :thumbsup:

PTR

Eric is my favorite player. Unsung hero, and it was very evident how important he is to our offense once he went down last year. Dude has just been unlucky. Hope he can play the whole season for us this year, and continue his career as a Buffalo Bill. I like my Wood jersey.

PTR

Parrish & Bell both had injuries in different areas as well. Let's not forget about the ankle injury that cost Wood a few games either. Wood's broken leg was bad luck, no question about it. IMO, the O-line is better with Wood as the starting Center. Wood along with Fred Jackson & Stevie Johnson are my favorite players on the team, and I hope the Bills resign him. But if Wood gets injured again and misses time, do you think the Bills are going to try and extend him?

Eric is my favorite player. Unsung hero, and it was very evident how important he is to our offense once he went down last year. Dude has just been unlucky. Hope he can play the whole season for us this year, and continue his career as a Buffalo Bill. I like my Wood jersey.

+1

I think every Bills fan likes Eric, especially after he told Maybin: "Why don't you give back some of that money you haven't F@!KING earned yet!!"

At least he didn't tear a hammy opening a box of cereal, or whatever that one guy did about a month ago. I pulled a groin typing this, by the way.

Yours or somebody else?

GO BILLS!!!

PTR

+2

PTR

I agree.

Like someone said earlier, the first injury was a freak accident. The knee injury was from a cheap shot. It was on a turnover in Dallas and the play was over or nearly over and DeMarcus Ware blocked Wood in the left shoulder blade. Wood was mid stride when the block occurred and in an attempt to catch himself he extended his right leg. End of ACL. CHEAP SHOT. NO CALL. It was an unnecessary block and dirty, to boot.

Off topic question. I've always wondered how your user name is dareustein when you signed up in '05. Did you ask the Mods to change it for you? If so, what was your name before that?

+1

I think every Bills fan likes Eric, especially after he told Maybin: "Why don't you give back some of that money you haven't F@!KING earned yet!!"

WOW... I forgot about him saying that... Damn I already loved the guy and my love is as strong as ever... Wood is good...

Off topic question. I've always wondered how your user name is dareustein when you signed up in '05. Did you ask the Mods to change it for you? If so, what was your name before that?

I follow a lot of high school football down here in the south. Been a fan of Marcel's since he was about 13 years old.

In all seriousness, we can all change our displayed screen name (I think once every 6 months) under My Settings->Change Display Name. Keep an eye out because there are a lot of name changes around this board. Only way to really track it is through avatars and signatures. lol. :thumbsup:

+1

Yep - this is the main reason I bought an Eric Wood jersey last year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/15561/maybin-cheap-shot-fires-up-bills-o-line

Well they both had freaky injuries, but there are more knocks on easley for other reasons like the guy has not played a snap in the regular season, yet he is going into is third year. The guy has not proven to be a good player where wood has at least proven to be good.

Well they both had freaky injuries, but there are more knocks on easley for other reasons like the guy has not played a snap in the regular season, yet he is going into is third year. The guy has not proven to be a good player where wood has at least proven to be good.

+1

PTR

I like Eric Wood a lot but have to agree with others that he shouldn't be re-signed if his season gets cut short by serious injury again. Here's another player whose injuries were considered "bad luck" when he left Cleveland:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2805059

One of his Cleveland coaches said Courtney tried so hard to make the play that he often put his body in bad/awkward positions that made him vulnerable to injury. Let's hope that isn't true about Eric and he has a productive, full season.

Also, at least we know what the health issue is/was with Kyle and Merriman. It's either fixed or it isn't but at least the FO, doctors, and training staff know what the problem is if a decision needs to be made.

How long do you pay a guy who incurs unrelated, season-ending injuries every year or two? Especially a starter.

Agree with Gary there comes a time to preserve yourself. The best players avoid and / or deliver the cheap shot. Some guys are just more durable and smarter.

How can that be? Watch Stan Lee's Super Humans on the History Channel. There was a guy who could hammer nails and break cinder blocks with his skull. That guy is less likely to get a concussion than a guy like Trent Edwards. They measured the bone density in his skull and found out it was something like a 1/2 inch thicker than the average human.

Someday the NFL combine will include tests to measure flexibility, bone density, etc. I'd be willing to wager the farm that Levitre is more durable than Wood in the aforementioned categories.

Wood is a good to great player when healthy. The next 2 seasons will be critical for Wood to prove the doubters wrong.

Agree with Gary there comes a time to preserve yourself. The best players avoid and / or deliver the cheap shot. Some guys are just more durable and smarter.

How can that be? Watch Stan Lee's Super Humans on the History Channel. There was a guy who could hammer nails and break cinder blocks with his skull. That guy is less likely to get a concussion than a guy like Trent Edwards. They measured the bone density in his skull and found out it was something like a 1/2 inch thicker than the average human.

Someday the NFL combine will include tests to measure flexibility, bone density, etc. I'd be willing to wager the farm that Levitre is more durable than Wood in the aforementioned categories.

Wood is a good to great player when healthy. The next 2 seasons will be critical for Wood to prove the doubters wrong.

They actually reported that, due to his high skull bone density, that he was less likely to get a concussion? They actually said that?

Unbelievable.

GO BILLS!!!

I follow a lot of high school football down here in the south. Been a fan of Marcel's since he was about 13 years old.

In all seriousness, we can all change our displayed screen name (I think once every 6 months) under My Settings->Change Display Name. Keep an eye out because there are a lot of name changes around this board. Only way to really track it is through avatars and signatures. lol. :thumbsup:

Lol... I figured... Thanks though...

PTR

You consider Kyle Williams as someone with health problems? Coming into this season, he missed 2 total NFL games in his career. Coming into 2011-2012 season he played in 78 out of a possible 80 games. He became a full time starter in 2007-2008 season, and started 62 out of 64 games of those games coming into the season. He missed the last 11 games this season because he had bone spurs in his left ankle/foot. Its an injury that's not going to affect him next year, very rarely does it need to be treated. Williams had surgery to remove the extra bone mass because it had been bothering him for a few years. He decided to have the surgery so he can perform at a high level for a longer period of time, because it can be painful if your on your feet alot. That's a heck of alot healthier than Wood, who has had two major lower body surgeries.

Edited by Beastly Dareus

PTR

This is the optimistic point of view but multiple leg injuries to 300+ lb men are never a good thing. Neither is consistently missing playing time that would help build chemistry with the other linemen or constantly rehabbing. Hopefully I'm wrong about this but it's ominous.

I agree - why worry about somethign that is ot necessary to worry about. When a player is entering the last year of a deal is when you start to worry about resigning, especially when a player has not been on the field long enough to worry about. So far Woods performance shows I'd like to keep him, but want to see a full year of action before I do that. :pirate:

I don't think there is a doubt that if he can finish 2012 healthy they will resign him because when he is on the field he is excellent, but obviously he has health issues. If he keeps getting hurt, who knows. I agree, Levitre is who they need to be concerned with now.

Edited by BuffBill

PTR

I might be bad luck or it might be that his frame is supporting to much weight and the result is a predisposition to lower body injuries. Time will prove... But if anyone has a four leaf clover they might consider dropping it off at one bills drive.

I might be bad luck or it might be that his frame is supporting to much weight and the result is a predisposition to lower body injuries. Time will prove... But if anyone has a four leaf clover they might consider dropping it off at one bills drive.

To Promo, I'll just say that the body is a system and every joint, muscle, ligament, etc affects every other joint, muscle, ligament, etc.

To spell it out more, a badly broken leg could have caused Wood to run and/or move differently than he used to… which in turn could possibly have been a contributing factor in his second injury. This is true even though his injuries were to different legs.

As a guy who's broken his leg, I know that everything in the body is affected by an injury.

I don't have his Jersey but agree with you - he is definitely worth the $. Even if he does get injured again I am willing to take a gamble on him especially when you think of all the other idiots th bills have taken a chance on. His crack to Maybin during praftice alone gives him my respect.