UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did not see this article anywhere - but I didn't get to all 17 pages... :)

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/05/01/nix-offers-clarity-on-young-workout/

Basically confirms that he's being evaluated as a Backup, and reaffirms the Nix love for Fitz. To me that statement is just as much to VY as it is to the fans...

VY would be an improvement over Thigpen. We could do worse as far as distractions go - and they can give him a short rope, it isn't like he had teams beating down his door.

I'm a big fan of NFL Films' Greg Cosell (Howard's nephew)--- he does a ton of film work and gives in-depth evaluations which I followed religiously over the past month leading up to the draft. The Toronto Sun spoke with Cosell about Vince Young and he has some interesting observations on how Young doesn't exactly fit in with Chan's offense. Is it possible that as the #2 QB he'll be viewed as a specialty player with packages devoted to him under center? Sort of a not-quite-WildCat?

So just how good, or bad, is Young?

We asked Greg Cosell, who with NFL Films has been evaluating college and NFL talent for more than 20 years, and whose incisive assessments are widely respected.

"I think that Vince Young is a quarterback that is limited in the kind of offence he can run," Cosell said Tuesday. "He needs to run an offence whose foundation is the run, so you give him the play-action pass game, because that limits your reads, and defines your reads.

"If you put him in the shotgun, he's not very good at seeing things before the snap, which is a very, very critical part of playing quarterback in today's NFL -- particularly if you're in the shotgun in a spread, because it's always up to the quarterback in the spread to figure out who potentially is blitzing."

The Bills, of course, often utilize the shotgun spread. And a spread QB who struggles in this "pre-snap phase," as Cosell calls it, is a drive-killer because defences will overload their blitzes to one side if they know the QB won't make accommodations for it.

"So what happens is (Young) becomes an improvisational, random player," Cosell said. "And because he's got a lot of physical ability, every once in a while he'll make some spectacular plays."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2012/05/01/19704586.html?twobillsdrive

I'm a big fan of NFL Films' Greg Cosell (Howard's nephew)--- he does a ton of film work and gives in-depth evaluations which I followed religiously over the past month leading up to the draft. The Toronto Sun spoke with Cosell about Vince Young and he has some interesting observations on how Young doesn't exactly fit in with Chan's offense. Is it possible that as the #2 QB he'll be viewed as a specialty player with packages devoted to him under center? Sort of a not-quite-WildCat?

So just how good, or bad, is Young?

We asked Greg Cosell, who with NFL Films has been evaluating college and NFL talent for more than 20 years, and whose incisive assessments are widely respected.

"I think that Vince Young is a quarterback that is limited in the kind of offence he can run," Cosell said Tuesday. "He needs to run an offence whose foundation is the run, so you give him the play-action pass game, because that limits your reads, and defines your reads.

"If you put him in the shotgun, he's not very good at seeing things before the snap, which is a very, very critical part of playing quarterback in today's NFL -- particularly if you're in the shotgun in a spread, because it's always up to the quarterback in the spread to figure out who potentially is blitzing."

The Bills, of course, often utilize the shotgun spread. And a spread QB who struggles in this "pre-snap phase," as Cosell calls it, is a drive-killer because defences will overload their blitzes to one side if they know the QB won't make accommodations for it.

"So what happens is (Young) becomes an improvisational, random player," Cosell said. "And because he's got a lot of physical ability, every once in a while he'll make some spectacular plays."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2012/05/01/19704586.html?twobillsdrive

Well that's a relief. I'm entirely on board with signing VY. If Gailey ran a spread offense from a shotgun formation that relied on a QB to make good pre/post snap reads, then it would be a different story.

GO BILLS!!!

Well that's a relief. I'm entirely on board with signing VY. If Gailey ran a spread offense from a shotgun formation that relied on a QB to make good pre/post snap reads, then it would be a different story.

GO BILLS!!!

lucky that with just about any backup, you are going to tighten up the offense and give easier reads and lean on your backs.

also, assuming the line and defense are a bit better, although i expect the spread to be the base, id also expect a lot more scheme diversity. we were very limited in what we could run last year.

im not saying hes a save the franchise type of qb, but assuming he wants to work - hes the type of guy that if fitz does (knock on wood) break a leg and miss a long stretch will be able to go .500 in my book, maybe even a little better. thats a pretty good situation for your backup. a lot of starters cant say that.

In case anyone missed my last comments, I'd like to also add that I currently reside in Nashville, and not only are my friends sending me their condolences should the Bills sign this guy, a few have even greeted me with some laughter, and today a card was left on my chair that read in printed ink: " sorry for your loss" and inside they wrote 2012 will be sorely missed, and we hope you and your family will find peace

Now the card was pretty funny I'll be the first to admit, but regardless of his winning percentage, people around here did not like the guy, and for good reason. The general consensus is a selfish, immature player that simply does not grasp the concept of team offense.

Hard to argue, I truly hope this guy does not end up in a Bill Uni... let someone else try to get blood from this turnip.

In case anyone missed my last comments, I'd like to also add that I currently reside in Nashville, and not only are my friends sending me their condolences should the Bills sign this guy, a few have even greeted me with some laughter, and today a card was left on my chair that read in printed ink: " sorry for your loss"

:lol:

Alright, well, what's going on? The practice is over. Is he flying home? Is he negotiating a deal? Kinda odd that they'd post about the workout being done and nothing else.

id actually say pretty standard. why would they announce intentions minutes after hes done throwing.

lucky that with just about any backup, you are going to tighten up the offense and give easier reads and lean on your backs.

also, assuming the line and defense are a bit better, although i expect the spread to be the base, id also expect a lot more scheme diversity. we were very limited in what we could run last year.

im not saying hes a save the franchise type of qb, but assuming he wants to work - hes the type of guy that if fitz does (knock on wood) break a leg and miss a long stretch will be able to go .500 in my book, maybe even a little better. thats a pretty good situation for your backup. a lot of starters cant say that.

One offense for your starter and another for your backup?

Simplifying is one thing. Making it easy on defenses is another.

Sooner or later a QB has to be able to read a defense because they are taking away certain options and he has to exploit what's there.

I'm skeptical that VY has shown the consistent ability to do that over his career. He's great when a play breaks down and he can make a play with his legs. But you can't make a living at that for very long unless you are able to force a defense to respect other aspects of your game.

Hey, if anyone can get something out of Young, it's Gailey. He's great at devising schemes around the talents of his players. If they think he's got something, I'm certainly not going to argue. I'm just skeptical based on what I've seen of VY up to this point.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd be willing to bet that Chan Gailey thinks more highly of Fitz then anyone on this board realizes, in all aspects. Gailey had visions of the playoffs or at least a winning season and just kept throwing trying to win games last season. I'd also be willing to bet that Chan thinks more highly of Fitz then he does Fred Jackson.

The mere fact that the last two years Gailey didn't draft a QB of any sort tells me he loves him some Fitz.

Anyway, Gailey needs to realize that Fitz is not Tom Brady and he doesn't have the offensive horsepower just yet to keep calling shotgun, empty backfield 5 WR sets with only one good WR (SJ).

Off topic, sorry...but somewhere in that 7 game slide you would hope that the realization would hit him don't you? Yet after 2 games he kept tossing him out there, 3...4...5...6...7. Somewhere along the line don't you have to ask youself how much you are hurting the team's chances? What if Fitz had sat a week or 2 after Washington? That 7 game slide may have turned into something else. We'll never know, and most here will blame the injuries.

One offense for your starter and another for your backup?

Simplifying is one thing. Making it easy on defenses is another.

Sooner or later a QB has to be able to read a defense because they are taking away certain options and he has to exploit what's there.

I'm skeptical that VY has shown the consistent ability to do that over his career. He's great when a play breaks down and he can make a play with his legs. But you can't make a living at that for very long unless you are able to force a defense to respect other aspects of your game.

Hey, if anyone can get something out of Young, it's Gailey. He's great at devising schemes around the talents of his players. If they think he's got something, I'm certainly not going to argue. I'm just skeptical based on what I've seen of VY up to this point.

GO BILLS!!!

the beauty of a back up role is you dont have to make a living of anything very long ideally.

and i think you will see some running out of standard formations, a bit of playaction even out of our offense... i think that going so heavy on the spread was a result of need and we will be getting more diverse if things go well. if a qb goes down, id fully expect any OC to pick the things the backup is best at and play those up, while leaning a bit heavier on a running game. guys are backup qbs for a reason - they have warts, they arent starters. a guy that can make a few plays when the bullets are flying and win some games is a good thing. VY has done that, if nothing else, consistently.

heck, chan totally changed the offense for thigpen when he came in for KC.

During Wednesday mornings Vince Young workout at One Bills Drive a handful of players on Buffalos roster ran routes for the free agent quarterback.

Wide receivers David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt and Marcus Easley all participated and caught passes from Young. (Per Chris Brown)

No other word . .

Question is - is he still here - perhaps negotiating a contract?

Or has he left OBD for the airport - if he left right after the workout, I'd guess it was WITHOUT a deal. The longer he stays, the greater the chance they sign him.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

During Wednesday morning’s Vince Young workout at One Bills Drive a handful of players on Buffalo’s roster ran routes for the free agent quarterback.

Wide receivers David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt and Marcus Easley all participated and caught passes from Young. (Per Chris Brown)

No other word . .

Question is - is he still here - perhaps negotiating a contract?

Or has he left OBD for the airport - if he left right after the workout, I'd guess it was WITHOUT a deal. The longer he stays, the greater the chance they sign him.

Did we find out if they went to Tempo or are planning on going?

I haven't followed this whole thread.