UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

So I'll ask again, who would you RATHER have that's AVAILABLE now? I'm all ears.

Dennis Dixon, Billy Volek, hell even 41-yr old Mark Brunell. As shocking as it sounds, Tyler Thigpen. You know as bad as Thigpen played last year, at least I can go back and point out one good season he had throwing the football.

Call me a traditionalist, but I like QBs who are able to throw. Vince Young cannot throw a football. He's never thrown for more than 12 TDs in a season. He failed miserably as a backup in Philadelphia last year, and that's the player you're getting. Please don't bring up his record with TEN, as someone else just pointed out, the resurrected corpse of Kerry Collins led them to a 13-3 record when he got hurt.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I forgot about this until DC Tom brought up Darryl Talley getting run over by a charging buffalo twice in the Seau thread.

This should be enough for even the most dies hard Vince "Git-r-done" poster to say don't sign him. Unless of course you don't like Talley :devil:

My link

"Add former NFL linebacker Darryl Talley to the list of people who think Vince Young has some growing up to do.

Talley, who played 14 years in the NFL and was a two-time Pro Bowler with the Bills, went on Twitter Saturday night to say that he had just learned first-hand that Young lacks a healthy respect for the history of the game.

“Just ran into Vince Young. Had no idea who I am. Not ok,” Talley tweeted. “Hey young fellas. Know ur football history. It’s called respect. Also will make u a better ball player.”

Some of Talley’s Twitter followers then pushed back against Talley and said that Young was just a kid when Talley was playing and shouldn’t be expected to know who he is. Talley wasn’t buying it.

“Y’all aren’t getting my point,” Talley tweeted. “Be respectful of those who came before you & demanded changes so u could colect the check ur getting.”

At that point, Young himself tweeted to Talley, saying, “knew exactly who u were my grandmother love u.”

But Talley was apparently offended that Young would suggest he was the age of Young’s grandmother, replying, “@VinceYoung10 proving my point son.”

And, of course, as our friend Larry Brown pointed out, if Young did know who Talley was, and acted in a way that made Talley think Young didn’t know who he was, that’s even worse."

Did you read the first post on this topic that stated that if VY is signed this long term season ticket holder would no longer go to the games?

OK, I completely take back what I said. This morning, that guy made his own thread about that, and it was over the top and ridiculous. It appears they merged his thread into this one, and if you did read his rant in this thread I can now see why you made your post.

Dennis Dixon, Billy Volek, hell even 41-yr old Mark Brunell. As shocking as it sounds, Tyler Thigpen. You know as bad as Thigpen played last year, at least I can go back and point out one good season he had throwing the football.

Call me a traditionalist, but I like QBs who are able to throw. Vince Young cannot throw a football. He's never thrown for more than 12 TDs in a season. He failed miserably as a backup in Philadelphia last year, and that's the player you're getting. Please don't bring up his record with TEN, as someone else just pointed out, the resurrected corpse of Kerry Collins led them to a 13-3 record when he got hurt.

Dennis Dixon? A former 5th round pick who played in 0 games last year? Who's played in four games his ENTIRE career.

Please tell me what evidence there is to support him being better than...ANYONE.

Sure, Vince Young has never thrown more than 12 TD's in a season, granted.

Dennis Dixon has thrown one touchdown in HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

Edited by The Big Cat

You tradistionalist, you! Thinking that people want to see QB's that can throw, bah! Todays NFL is all about excitement and getting people to watch!!1

Dennis Dixon? A former 5th round pick who's played in 0 games last year? Who's played in four games his ENTIRE career.

Please tell me what evidence there is to support him being better than...ANYONE.

He isn't a whack job like Vince Young for one...

im not sure brunell can get the ball more than 10 yards down field these days.

He isn't a whack job like Vince Young for one...

You think the FO would sign a guy they think is a wack job?

I don't.

You think if they did sign him believing he wasn't a wack job and then he turned out to be that they would fire him right away?

I do.

The Bills have nothing to lose and a ton to gain from a guy with VY's physical tools. If he doesn't have it going on upstairs, so be it. But there's no arguing his tangibles.

Dennis Dixon? A former 5th round pick who played in 0 games last year? Who's played in four games his ENTIRE career.

I watch a lot of football and I would love to have Dennis Dixon come in for a workout, and have the Bills sign him so he can compete with Thigpen for the back-up QB job. he would be my top choice, stats be damned. I even predict that it will happen (unless they actually sign VY, which I doubt).

Well, as you said, there isn't much evidence to support him as a backup. But what's important, is that there also isn't any evidence to suggest that he can't be a backup. We already have evidence that VY can't backup - look at last year. And that was in an offense catered to a mobile QB. He was flat-out unprepared to play last year. You really don't want to start using passing stats to make an argument for VY.

Edited by QCity

OK, I completely take back what I said. This morning, that guy made his own thread about that, and it was over the top and ridiculous. It appears they merged his thread into this one, and if you did read his rant in this thread I can now see why you made your post.

I'm glad you understand the context from which I made my post.

You are right that topics on the same subject matter were merged. The guardian of the board was alert enough to recognize this overlap. The monitor did a good job of maintaining an orderly board. If he/she were getting paid for this job I would gladly recommend that he/she get a raise. Someone in the neighborhood buy this person a premium beer. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

Well, as you said, there isn't much evidence to support him as a backup. But what's important, is that there also isn't any evidence to suggest that he can't be a backup. We already have evidence that VY can't backup - look at last year. And that was in an offense catered to a mobile QB. He was flat-out unprepared to play last year. You really don't want to start using passing stats to make an argument for VY.

While we're using single NFL seasons to evaluate people, JP Losman is an up-and-comer, as long as you're only looking at his best year.

Alex Smith will never amount to anything based on most of his career, but appeared to turn it around last year with Harbaugh at the helm.

Vick could have been a washout and clearly coasted on talent, until his rude awakening.

Rich Gannon was a career journeyman, with a late rise.

Change happens in the NFL. I am not saying it WILL happen with Vince Young, because only he and the team that gives him an opportunity can make it happen. I'd prefer Young's talent over Thigpen's consistent mediocrity, if and only if Chan thinks he can work with him.

While we're using single NFL seasons to evaluate people, JP Losman is an up-and-comer, as long as you're only looking at his best year.

Alex Smith will never amount to anything based on most of his career, but appeared to turn it around last year with Harbaugh at the helm.

Vick could have been a washout and clearly coasted on talent, until his rude awakening.

Rich Gannon was a career journeyman, with a late rise.

Change happens in the NFL. I am not saying it WILL happen with Vince Young, because only he and the team that gives him an opportunity can make it happen. I'd prefer Young's talent over Thigpen's consistent mediocrity, if and only if Chan thinks he can work with him.

year? were talking 3 games.

You think the FO would sign a guy they think is a wack job?

I don't.

You think if they did sign him believing he wasn't a wack job and then he turned out to be that they would fire him right away?

I do.

The Bills have nothing to lose and a ton to gain from a guy with VY's physical tools. If he doesn't have it going on upstairs, so be it. But there's no arguing his tangibles.

His intangibles rely on the fact that he can't read a defense to save his life and has to run to make a play. There is a reason why he got an original score of 6 on his wonderlic; he doesn't have the mental abilities to be able to read defenses and make decisions based on it. The guy is a locker room cancer and me first kind of guy. There is lots of evidence out there to prove that. Others in the thread, my self included have also pointed out that WL record for a QB is meaningless, the fact that he was 31-19 as a starter is nice. It is funny that after he lost his job in Ten, that Kerry Collins looked like the second coming of John Elway. If you look at his stats, he will never be a starting QB in the league that is worth a damn, he doesn't have the mental ability to go with his physical tools, and he is athletically gifted.

People say that they want a guy who wants to start, hell I want that too. I do also believe that a backup QB needs to realize that is his role and honestly I don't see where he has given any indication that he can. A few pages back I posted an interview excerpt from the Eagles GM, they wanted to sign him to a 2 year contract, he only would agree to one year because he wanted to start again; which is fine. Young has since given an interview, in mid-April I believe, saying he wanted to stay, but Reid told him he should be a starter and not a backup; therefore he won't be back.

I do believe that people do deserve second chances in life, but I have yet to see otherwise with him. If it weren't for the 'Dream Team' comment that last all season long with the Eagles, I would be inclined to say maybe he has. Yes he has to tools to be a capable backup for a team, but that obviously isn't his mentality based on what he said as of a couple weeks ago.

Also I don't want another QB controversy where the media (and even some posters on here), which they will if Fitz has a bad game, start rooting for Young to overtake Fitz. You can't say that won't happen because everyone here knows it will. Yes you hope that our locker room is string enough to whether it, but it only takes 1 person to sour a positive atmosphere. You also hope that Chan or Nix won't stand for it if it does happen, but once the damage is done, it is hard to put that worm back in the can. If we had a true elite QB, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned as I am. After going through the Johnson Flutie debacle; the last thing this team needs is another QB controversy, which will almost certainly happen.

I am not a Fitz lover, I would love to get a true franchise QB - I don't believe another re-tread or reclamation project will get it done. I hope I am wrong with this thought, but there are also some coaches who love to be able to take a pile of crap and sculpt it into a beautiful sculpture and say - "hey, you couldn't do anything with it; but look what I made!" I hope that Chan isn't like this. Again my worries on this are based on him trying to salvage Trent, who we all knew was done and over. I am glad he cut him during the season and we moved on. He finished the year out with Fitz and said, I think we might be able to win with this guy. Nix has been on board with that thus far. I would hope that if Fitz falters, the Front Office and Gailey don't pull the same trick and try to mold this guy into a quality starter - it won't happen and would halt the forward moving momentum this franchise has as of right now.

I am also not saying Thigpen shouldn't be upgraded, but I honestly would take a QB who doesn't have the baggage and league-wide perception that Young has. His past issues will always be there. Yes it might mean taking a lesser talent, but if it allows for the locker room atmosphere to stay positive and grow in that direction, by all means they should pass.

If they are all in with Fitz as they say they are, then they need to grab a backup who knows that is his role and won't cause a $hitstorm if Fitz goes down and they win while he is out. All of the crap that goes along with signing Young needs to be weighed out regardless of his athleticism.

Speaking of Wonderlic's, it would be quite a coup to have the highest (Fitz - 48) and lowest-scoring (Mr. 6) QBs on the same team.

A 27 mean is still pretty good...

:bag:

Edited by Lurker

Did you happen to notice a guy named Kyle Williams on the field that day? I agree that Smith was terrible that day and they could've won if he played better....but they likely would have won if Kyle Williams didnt suit up. 2 TOs on returns and a fumble . 3 TOs by a bit player. GG

Well, Williams made 2 bad plays, at very bad times. I didn't take the time to look it up but I believe smith completed zero passes in the first half and made one 3rd down conversion the entire game. I put the loss on Smith. If he had played even mediocre the Giants would not be super bowl champs.

He's worth giving a shot for that 05 Rose Bowl performance alone.

Isn't that why he was the #3 overall pick in the draft? He had a pretty decent shot then. I thought he took pretty good advantage of it, too. Until teams caught on and forced him to beat them from the pocket.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills are doing a couple things here i would guess. They are a making a statement of sorts. First that they are looking for a qb. Which Buddy said, and is smart all around by him. Bringing this guy in for alook is due diligence also. Why wouldn't our guys want to check out as many as are available and then see which one fits best with our team, and direction the coaches are headed.

we need a solid backup.

and yeh i'm still freaked out about the dog thing too :devil: