UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

To me, signing Vince Young is a good thing, and not because I think he's any good. It tells me they're serious about winning now. If Fitz goes down, they're not going to pack it in and limp towards another high draft pick. They want to find a guy that will be able to win some games and at least give them a puncher's chance at making the playoffs this season.

He won't compete with Fitz because he can't make a pre-snap read. He will, however, be able to make a couple big plays here and there in an offense that is leaning heavily on its running game and he does have a big enough arm to keep defenses honest. Thigpen can't even provide that.

i wont comment on thigpen, but i kind of feel the same about young.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW, a poster over at BB.com who had some pretty valuable inside information during the draft stated the Bills would offer a contract to Young within the next 48 hours. Young apparently has one other visit expected in the next week or two, but apparently interest was mutual based on his workout.

Looks like it's a done deal according to my connection with the team as well. Should formally hear something in the next 24 hours.

Possible. I would think that VY would compete against Thigpen for the back-up role, and only one of them stays. And that Corp and Tanney would fight it out for the #3 or PS developmental QB and one of them stays.

I have to agree with this. Can't see both VY and Pigpen staying, because neither is that developmental guy you usually want as your #3 (we all know Smith isn't "really" the #3 QB).

I have to agree with this. Can't see both VY and Pigpen staying, because neither is that developmental guy you usually want as your #3 (we all know Smith isn't "really" the #3 QB).

that makes sense to me, can't see them carrying Thigpen, especially with Brad Smith in the mix as well.

Edited by CSBill

Looks like it's a done deal according to my connection with the team as well. Should formally hear something in the next 24 hours.

Are they the same sources that said it will be done in 48hrs iver a week ago? So your saying in 4-5 days we should be getting and announcment that it will be done in 12 hours and then maybe the original time frame of 48 hours will be true.

Three things to keep in mind:

1. Trent Edwards made Vince Young expendable.

Yes, that Trent Edwards.

2. Vince Young has all the talent in the world and 0.0% of it consists of work ethic.

3. Even the QB Renovation Realities of franchises decided to not to keep him around.

Is he better than Thigpen? Not sure. Threw four interceptions in a game last year against last year.

I don't think he's "that" guy anymore.

That's a clever line, which we have seen used over and over in this thread...but, if you think about the "skill set" that Edwards and Young bring to the table, they are pretty different. VY may be a bit immature for his age, but, honestly, if he is going to work out anywhere, I think Buffalo, with Gailey, and Gailey's offense, seems to be about as ideal a match as you could get. Andy Reid runs, essentially, a west-coast offense in Philly, as his base offense. Short, accurate passes are not VY's strong suit...Edwards may be a better fit for them.

Gailey likes that "dual threat" guy...for all the criticism of Young, there is little doubt that the guy is a great athlete...he can throw the deep ball, and can run. If he does sign in Buffalo, and hasn't matured, and causes locker room issues, I also have little doubt that Gailey would be afraid to cut him. I suspect, any contract VY signs with the Bills will be of the 1-year variety.

Are they the same sources that said it will be done in 48hrs iver a week ago? So your saying in 4-5 days we should be getting and announcment that it will be done in 12 hours and then maybe the original time frame of 48 hours will be true.

I wasn't the one who said it would be done in 48 hours a week ago.

My sources smell poop.

PTR

Hey, I gotsta get me some of dem "sources". It just sounds cool.

Bag on me all you want. There are people on this site who know that my connection to the team is legit.

Just saying your quote was almost identical from the 48hr quote. You have to admit it wasn't that out of whack. For what it's worth, I hope your sources are right. Can you tell us why it took so long? What do your sources say about it? I'm very curious to know. It's been almost 2 weeks since he was in for a visit.

Bag on me all you want. There are people on this site who know that my connection to the team is legit.

If Chan, the master of making mediocre QB's look good (Kordell Steward, Fitz, etc.) thinks he can help make Vince into a good backup, then I'm all for it. Chan is not one to put up with poor behavior either, so Vince knows he'd be on a short leash.

You were all over the uniform release last year, I'll give you that. Still waiting for the blue pants though. ;)

Just to be clear - if we give you the benefit of doubt, you are saying that the VY to Buffalo deal will be announced by Friday morning May 11th. Right?

I for one thank anyone who may have some inside information regarding the Bills. Unfortunately, those posters that actually have some source or sources sometimes get a lot of grief here because of some other people who posted things out of their arse.

'

You were all over the uniform release last year, I'll give you that. Still waiting for the blue pants though. ;)

Yeah I have no clue what happened to the blue pants. Cut sheet straight from the Bills showed them. This year though, this year!

Just to be clear - if we give you the benefit of doubt, you are saying that the VY to Buffalo deal will be announced by Friday morning May 11th. Right?

Should hear very soon.

I hope he does sign. It makes us better depth wise. I dont care that Trent Edwards replaced him. He also replaced JP Losman. Whats your point? Do you think Trent could be the backup here? I dont.

Welcome to Buffalo Vince. Home of a team on the move. We look forward to your contributions. And will now forgive you for running all over us one day years ago.

Actually I dont think there is a better fit than him for us in the back up role and as someone pointed out do you think Chan is going to put up with any crap from anyone? He has their back as evidenced from his first training camp with a heckler and he isn't afraid to punish them as witnessed with Stevie.

I think it is a perfect situation.

If this happens, i'd think Thigpen and Brad Smith are both expendable. Fitz, Young, and a developmental for QB3.

I think Smith would be kept for $$ purposes at this point. Probably be listed as a wr which is where he should be listed anyway.

I think Smith would be kept for $$ purposes at this point. Probably be listed as a wr which is where he should be listed anyway.

Yeah smith is a KR too. Don't want to get graham or one of the DBs hurt doing that. + wildcat flexibility. I think smith is safe no matter. Its thigpen most obviously on the bubble and fitz too but less so, even though they won't admit the latter.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack