Nawrocki's "Fit-Based Mock"

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/10/nawrockis-fit-based-mock-draft

10. Buffalo Bills

Cordy Glenn | OLT | Georgia

Since GM Buddy Nix took control of the draft in 2010, the Bills have plucked both their first-round picks from the Southeast, where Nix was born, coached and scouted and has especially strong ties. OLT Demetress Bell signed with Philadelphia, leaving the Bills without a tackle possessing left tackle feet. Glenn showed continual improvement on the blind side as a senior and gives Nix enough reason to believe he can handle the task in the pros.

Nawrocki Is the man. He's always guessed the Bills pick correct dating back to the 2006 Draft. Go back and search for yourself. I know this isn't his final mock, but check his final. I'll take the BET anyday of the week!

i am intrigued by cordy glenn. the guy is raw, but definately has the size for the position. i remember hearing all the talk of how he was dominating people at the senior bowl practices and i think i would trust that the front office put the work in and saw something they really like if he is the pick at 10.

Well...at least he's picking a tackle. Not the right one, but a tackle nonetheless. Bobbie Massie is probably a better pick than he is, though. I'm certain Reiff and Martin are better picks as well.

Glenn was so-so at OLT for Georgia in the best college conference. At the same time, it'd be a mistake to take a player like that with one year at the position and who seems best suited as a guard or perhaps a RT in the NFL. He's not a NFL OLT, and only got by in college with superior arm length and strength. A OLT needs a lot more athleticism to handle faster RDE's and 34ROLB's in the pros than in college.

Glenn was so-so at OLT for Georgia in the best college conference. At the same time, it'd be a mistake to take a player like that with one year at the position and who seems best suited as a guard or perhaps a RT in the NFL. He's not a NFL OLT, and only got by in college with superior arm length and strength. A OLT needs a lot more athleticism to handle faster RDE's and 34ROLB's in the pros than in college.

Buddy's usual MO doesn't suggest he would take a one-year guy, unless he disagrees with your analysis and believes Glenn does have the footwork/athleticism necessary to play LT at this level.

Just curious -- do you have background/experience in grading out football players beyond being a "fan" of the sport, or did you play/coach at a high level? I only ask because I'm just a fan, and despite the fact I've been watching football for more than 30 years I wouldn't feel qualified to make a definitive statement like "he's not a NFL OLT" with respect to Glenn when there are plenty of "experts" out there who think he has the potential.

The guy is a monster physically. Looks more like a RT than a LT IMO. The fact that he only played a season at LT, it's hard to judge where he fits best. I believe that he will be the 2nd tackle drafted. His pro day was much better than Reiff and Martin. Not to say a better pro day = a better player, but I don't think there was ever a big difference between the 3. If the bills chose Glenn, I understand why. I think he has the highest ceiling of the OTs not named Kalil. I'd prefer to go with bpa, but our OL needs some help and I think he can definitely help.

So-so? Depends on who you ask I guess...

Named All-America Third Team by Associated Press, and Honorable Mention by Sports Illustrated … First Team All-SEC by Associated Press, ESPN.com, and SEC Coaches… Keep in mind Glenn started 50 Games in his Georgia career and NEVER missed a Game due to injury...He was also an Offensive Captain...

He's plenty athletic (5.15 40 @340 lbs...), and strong (31 reps @225)...He may very well be quicker and lighter on his feet if he drops a few lbs...I don't see any reason why he needs to be 340 lbs at LT...And if he's a little lighter it should help his explosiveness off the line...

Anyway...Just me, but I don't see Glenn as a so-so prospect at all...I think he's go HUGE upside...And I think he's the exact-type LT prospect Buddy loves... B-)

I doubt we're going to move up to get the only sure LOT that is an NFL starter caliber talent.

All others are developmental projects - though some undoubtedly will be thrown into a starting role and it'll be sink-or-swim for them and their teams.

If Hairston can hold down the fort - or Nix finds another journeyman to do that, it could buy some time for a guy like Glenn or Reiff or Martin or Adams to develop for 6 months or so.

That might be the ticket. Might.

I am not sold on Glenn, but I never watched him play. I have read the reports about him and know that he started 30ish games at G and only 18ish games at T and some of those were RT. If Buddy and Chan make this pick, I'll trust them, but I would prefer someone different. I really want Floyd, but I don't see that happening. I would love Gilmore too, but again, I don't see it happening.

There are folks on here that refuse to accept the Nix pattern that Nawrocki outlined.

The player will come from one of the southern conferences. He will have visited with the Bills prior to the draft. He will not be a one year wonder. The end.

From that starting point, you can get a better idea of who the Bills are looking at for the first pick.

There are folks on here that refuse to accept the Nix pattern that Nawrocki outlined.

The player will come from one of the southern conferences. He will have visited with the Bills prior to the draft. He will not be a one year wonder. The end.

From that starting point, you can get a better idea of who the Bills are looking at for the first pick.

Two years does not make an inevitable pattern. Do you really truly believe that Buddy Nix would only take a player from a southern conference? You don't think he would take Andrew Luck or RG3 or Kalil with his number one pick? Do you think you really know if Nix's one year wonder theory applies to Cordy Glenn? There is a very good chance IMO, I would bet on it, that he puts a lot more stock in the number of games Glenn started and played on the OL in any position than the number of games at LT, which he could be considered a "one year wonder". Nix also LOVES big guys, yet Spiller was his first pick for the Bills. He loves players from big schools who played in big conferences but his second and third picks, Troup and Carrington were not from big schools in big conferences.

Nix likes about 6-7 different things from his players. But if they have 5-6 of those 6-7, he is all over them.

Named All-America Third Team by Associated Press, and Honorable Mention by Sports Illustrated … First Team All-SEC by Associated Press, ESPN.com, and SEC Coaches… Keep in mind Glenn started 50 Games in his Georgia career and NEVER missed a Game due to injury...He was also an Offensive Captain...

He's plenty athletic (5.15 40 @340 lbs...), and strong (31 reps @225)...He may very well be quicker and lighter on his feet if he drops a few lbs...I don't see any reason why he needs to be 340 lbs at LT...And if he's a little lighter it should help his explosiveness off the line...

Anyway...Just me, but I don't see Glenn as a so-so prospect at all...I think he's go HUGE upside...And I think he's the exact-type LT prospect Buddy loves... B-)

Thats how I feel about it. Seems like he would be a beast in the running game and just big enough for pass protection until he really gets some experience. And I'm sure going against Super Mario every day in practice can only accelerate the learning curve.

10. Buffalo Bills

Since GM Buddy Nix took control of the draft in 2010, the Bills have plucked both their first-round picks from the Southeast, where Nix was born, coached and scouted and has especially strong ties. OLT Demetress Bell signed with Philadelphia, leaving the Bills without a tackle possessing left tackle feet. Glenn showed continual improvement on the blind side as a senior and gives Nix enough reason to believe he can handle the task in the pros.

:unsure::thumbsup:

he was best suited for gaurd while he was developing.

UGA moved him to LT his senior year because they felt he would do well there, and he did.

He was an all SEC tackle. best confrence in the nation, no one can argue that point.

He is a freak athlete that needs coaching, news flash, ever guy coming out of college needs coaching.

He has proven he can handle tackle in the SEC. He was not 'So-So'. That is an opinion, but one that is backed with little info.

EVEN IF HE STARTED AT GUARD THE LINE WOULD BE

HAIRSTON OT

GLENN G

WOOD C

LEVETRIE G

PEARS OT

ID TAKE IT.

Every QB in the league would.

And it may be the line for a year while he developes and gets acclimated to the speed of the league.

Personally i think he works in with hairston at LT or starts completely. Hairston is your swing tackle. as pointed out here in other threads, Glenn gives you insurance if Levetre wants crazy money.

I am not sold on Glenn, but I never watched him play. I have read the reports about him and know that he started 30ish games at G and only 18ish games at T and some of those were RT. If Buddy and Chan make this pick, I'll trust them, but I would prefer someone different. I really want Floyd, but I don't see that happening. I would love Gilmore too, but again, I don't see it happening.

Call me crazy, and please don't think I am a smartass, but how can you offer an opinion on Glenn (pro or con) if you admittedly never watched him play? I mean, reading reports on someone only gives a partial picture on that player.

I live in GA, watch all UGA games, and can attest to Glenn's huge upside; a very athletic & powerful OL who is very coachable. Not sure if he merits the 10th pick but he will do well in the NFL.

10. Buffalo Bills

If he's traded to the Eagles in 4 years, what are the chances he'll change his name to 'Cordless' ?

Well...at least he's picking a tackle. Not the right one, but a tackle nonetheless. Bobbie Massie is probably a better pick than he is, though. I'm certain Reiff and Martin are better picks as well.

I'm certain you're wrong.

So-so?

Have you watched video of his games this year?

UGA moved him to LT his senior year because they felt he would do well there, and he did.

He was an all SEC tackle. best confrence in the nation, no one can argue that point.

He is a freak athlete that needs coaching, news flash, ever guy coming out of college needs coaching.

He has proven he can handle tackle in the SEC. He was not 'So-So'. That is an opinion, but one that is backed with little info.

What people continue not to understand about Glenn is that his improvement this year was dramatic. He continuously improved each week and was playing at a very high level by season's end. Like others are saying, this kid has a huge upside and might just be scratching the surface.

If Buddy likes Glenn at #10 I'm all in but Mayock said yesterday on Path to the Draft that he thinks Glenn is a mid-second round value. Just saying.

In Buddy We Trust.

Agreed in Buddy, disagree with Mayock.

If you take Glenn you're swinging for the fences, not just trying to get a base hit.

Depends on what you want from the #10 pick.

I haven't watch any of the tackles enough to have an informed opinion about which one makes the best pick, but this makes a lot of sense to me. The Bills certainly aren't afraid to insert guys at LT who have talent and need some polish as the last several years have shown with Bell and Peters.

Well, said this in another thread... But Glenn was 1 of the 26 players invited to attend the draft live. Reiff was not invited.

26 Players Invited

Could mean absolutely nothing. But I'm of the opinion that the NFL must poll teams/GM's to gauge who to invite. Ask them who there top 2-3 choices might be and pool that together to pick 26.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Two years does not make an inevitable pattern. Do you really truly believe that Buddy Nix would only take a player from a southern conference? You don't think he would take Andrew Luck or RG3 or Kalil with his number one pick? Do you think you really know if Nix's one year wonder theory applies to Cordy Glenn? There is a very good chance IMO, I would bet on it, that he puts a lot more stock in the number of games Glenn started and played on the OL in any position than the number of games at LT, which he could be considered a "one year wonder". Nix also LOVES big guys, yet Spiller was his first pick for the Bills. He loves players from big schools who played in big conferences but his second and third picks, Troup and Carrington were not from big schools in big conferences.

Nix likes about 6-7 different things from his players. But if they have 5-6 of those 6-7, he is all over them.

Three years will make the pattern then, and you can discount Nix's previous scouting involvement with the Bills (specifically Eric Moulds) and the Chargers drafts and the two big off-season free agents acquisitions with the heavy theme of southern schools.

I didn't say Nix picks solely from *big* schools, just southern ones. He's stated previously that the southern conferences offer the competition that best mirrors NFL level competition. I'd agree with that personally.

I'm not saying Nix wouldn't pick Glenn. If you like Glenn at #10, there are a lot of things working in that direction.

It's more for the folks who think the Bills will draft Notre Dame wide receivers or Boston College linebackers. Doubt it'd happen. It'd be out of character.

Edited by dpberr

you can get him early in the 2nd IMO... top ten pick you take BPA, you don't roll the dice and bet the farm on a hard ten

How can you say that? On each mock, Glenn is gone by pick 20.

you can get him early in the 2nd IMO...

Based on everything I've seen, the only draft rankings that have Glenn in the second round were published more than 2 months ago. He's moved up significantly since the combine...

Well, said this in another thread... But Glenn was 1 of the 26 players invited to attend the draft live. Reiff was not invited.

Reiff was invited and chose not to attend...

What people continue not to understand about Glenn is that his improvement this year was dramatic. He continuously improved each week and was playing at a very high level by season's end. Like others are saying, this kid has a huge upside and might just be scratching the surface.

Greetings San Jose...catching any of the NHL playoffs out there?

I have to say, you've been consistently behind the selection of Glenn for quite some time. If you remember our first discussion on him, I admitted to having some doubts about him, but that I wanted more time to review what I could of his game play. After more viewings, I'm starting to come around. While I still feel he looked quite rough in his early games (struggled badly vs. Boise State and South Carolina), I can't deny how much better he looked later in the season, specifically against Florida, Auburn, & LSU.

I still feel like he'll need to drop 15-20 lbs to play LT in the NFL, however.

If you take Glenn you're swinging for the fences, not just trying to get a base hit.

Agreed.

you can get him early in the 2nd IMO... top ten pick you take BPA, you don't roll the dice and bet the farm on a hard ten

No offense, but not a chance.

id still rather try and trade up for him early 2nd

Again, no offense, but not a chance.

26 Players Invited

Could mean absolutely nothing. But I'm of the opinion that the NFL must poll teams/GM's to gauge who to invite. Ask them who there top 2-3 choices might be and pool that together to pick 26.

Yep. Remember that Mark Herzlich got a draft invite and went undrafted.

How can you say that? On each mock, Glenn is gone by pick 20.

And I suspect he will be. If he's not gone by then, a former lineman and OL coach like Mike Munchak would trip over himself running to the podium for an athletic mauler like Glenn.

Nix flat out said he liked Cordy Glenn as a 1st round LT. He is a straight shooter and if they decide they are going for a tackle then I believe he is their man.

Not doubting you, but is there a link to that comment? I hadn't seen that...

Edited by thebandit27

You all know by now I really like Decastro but if I had to take a tackle out of the highly graded tackles it would be Glenn. He played in the toughest conference in college football and held his own. Also loved what I saw from him at the combine. In my mind he stood out.

LV

EVEN IF HE STARTED AT GUARD THE LINE WOULD BE

HAIRSTON OT

GLENN G

WOOD C

LEVETRIE G

PEARS OT

ID TAKE IT.

If we are drafting a guard, it should be DeCastro. Glenn is said to be best in pass pro. I don't question that if people who have seen him a lot are all saying it. What I thought I noticed tho was he has a bob or hop in his kick step that makes me think he could have problems with maintaining his balance in dealing with a good bull rush or other DE pass rush moves. On the other hand I've also heard some say that he is heavy footed, even some of his supporters. From what little I saw of him at the combine his feet seemed very agile and quick for a man that size. Rightly or wrongly I somehow don't see him as a JPeters clone physically and in his movements especially. For better or worse I think there is only one JP.

I fully recognize the SEC is the finest conference in college football. But at 10, I want a player who has the potential to be a starter from Day 1, and if it's a LOT, someone who never lets you know he's there.

One thing I saw from Glenn is he's on the ground a lot. What does that say about athleticism, getting out of stance, and ability to pass block? He seems like a mauler as a run blocker, which is why I think he's fine at ORT, but at OLT where the ability to mirror and be left alone on an island, I'm not seeing it. Did UGA move him because they needed an OLT, or because his skill set matches the position. A OLT needs more than brute strength, long arms, and a nasty demeanor. Besides, there are plenty of players with superior college production and accolades who never transition to the pros.

BTW, the attempts at argument suppression hereare so passe. I'm thinking the majority of people are not NFL scouts, but have an opinion and ready the myriad of scouting reports now available on the interwebs. If one cannot express a counter-opinion, what is the purpose of message boards?

Thats how I feel about it. Seems like he would be a beast in the running game and just big enough for pass protection until he really gets some experience. And I'm sure going against Super Mario every day in practice can only accelerate the learning curve.

Good points. If you agree with some fans that Hairston did just fine at LT we could take Glenn and let him compete with Hairston. Whichever one wins out is the starter the other becomes a swing tackle/guard as depth on the line. Guys need a rest and people get hurt.

id still rather try and trade up for him early 2nd

Fantasy.

I fully recognize the SEC is the finest conference in college football. But at 10, I want a player who has the potential to be a starter from Day 1, and if it's a LOT, someone who never lets you know he's there.

One thing I saw from Glenn is he's on the ground a lot. What does that say about athleticism, getting out of stance, and ability to pass block? He seems like a mauler as a run blocker, which is why I think he's fine at ORT, but at OLT where the ability to mirror and be left alone on an island, I'm not seeing it. Did UGA move him because they needed an OLT, or because his skill set matches the position. A OLT needs more than brute strength, long arms, and a nasty demeanor. Besides, there are plenty of players with superior college production and accolades who never transition to the pros.

I read in a major scouting report on him that after his junior season he sent in his paperwork to the NFL Draft Advisory committee, which tells college players where they may expect to be drafted. After getting back that report, he decided to return to college and play left tackle, to be in a better position to be drafted in the NFL. A smart move. I would assume, based on that, that Glenn spoke with the Georgia coaches about playing LT as a senior. He had played four games at LT before because of injuries. Overall, however, he played 28 games at OG and 18 games at OT, so it's not as though he is so clearly more of a guard than a tackle.

This is a good report on him. I actually think it's going to be down to Glenn, Floyd or Blackmon, who really may be available. Nix doesn't really care, he probably has no idea, what other pundits and draftniks think of players and how they rank them. He probably only goes by his own scouts, the BLESTO scouts (which I assume the Bills still belong to) and his own eyes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632069

I tried to make a mock of players the Bills have had visit One Bills Drive or worked out individually. Source I then arranged the name from most likely to least IMHO. Here we go.

RD1- Cordy Glenn OT, Mike Adams OT, Jonathan Martin LT, Ryan Tannehill QB, Justin Blackmon WR, Matt Kalil LT, Whitney Mercilus DE, Dre Kirkpatrick CB

RD2- Bruce Irvin LB, Brian Quick WR, Kirk Cousins QB, Russell Wilson QB, Chandler Jones DE

RD3- Brock Osweiler QB, Tank Carder LB

Some obviously involve trade ups or trade downs.

First let me say that I was alarmed at Maylock's comments on Cordy Glenn......because I consider Mike to be the man when it comes to judging players.....he is not ALWAYS right....but he is righter then most.

I am still not sure that I agree with him here......I have done my own e v a l on Cordy Glenn and I see

- Left tackle feet

- Got better with every start

- Very strong

- Loooong arms

- SEC.....and dominated against good players

- This last point.....while he only had last year as a left tackle.....this is not an inexperienced player.....he has had something like 40 something consecutive starts which shows durability AND he can play every position on that line.

I think Maylock is wrong on this one.....

First let me say that I was alarmed at Maylock's comments on Cordy Glenn......because I consider Mike to be the man when it comes to judging players.....he is not ALWAYS right....but he is righter then most.

I am still not sure that I agree with him here......I have done my own e v a l on Cordy Glenn and I see

- Left tackle feet

- Got better with every start

- Very strong

- Loooong arms

- SEC.....and dominated against good players

- This last point.....while he only had last year as a left tackle.....this is not an inexperienced player.....he has had something like 40 something consecutive starts which shows durability AND he can play every position on that line.

I think Maylock is wrong on this one.....

I hear Ya!

But 2 more talking heads on NFL.com lined up against Glenn today...Lombardi and Casserly both said Glenn should be the last one chosen between Adams, Konz, and Glenn...AFTER the C!!! Both Lombardi and Casserly said Glenn does not have the feet to play LT...Lombardi flat out said he's not a LT, and may not be a RT...Then he said he's may not even be a great G!!! I mean...They were KILLING Cordy Glenn...The day after Mayock KILLED Cordy Glenn...I know what I see with my own 2 eyes...And I LOVE Glenn...I REALLY don't like Reiff, and they ALL seem to feel Reiff should be the 2nd O-Lineman taken...Lombardi and Casserly both say Reiff may not be a LT, but they would make him prove it...

I do understand Glenn may have been a little heavy last year, and he does look a little awkward at times...He's not a natural knee bender...I get that...But even with that he's just a mauler, and makes it look easy...When Glenn gets the Coaching and Conditioning he needs, I think his upside is light years ahead of Reiff...But no question...I'm questioning myself now... :huh:

I don't know what to think anymore... :lol:

Lombardi

Not a fan of him at all.

Interesting that a few talking heads are flaming Glenn now, after his profile's risen in the weeks after his solid combine showing...after all, the only insight they usually have is what's whispered in their ear by their NFL sources (who'd never try to put out disinformation on a guy :doh: ).

Not a fan of him at all.

Interesting that a few talking heads are flaming Glenn now, after his profile's risen in the weeks after his solid combine showing...after all, the only insight they usually have is what's whispered in their ear by their NFL sources (who'd never try to put out disinformation on a guy :doh: ).

Sometimes I really don't get these scouts and draftniks, both the real ones and the media ones. This probably isn't a good analogy but it reminds me a little of Thurman Thomas. The scouts were worried about the guy who kept Barry Sanders on the bench because of his knee injury. But Thomas played his senior entire season after the knee injury, had about 270 touches and 1800 yards and 18 TDs and was a Heisman Trophy candidate. His knee hadn't fully healed? He couldn't take a big workload?

Glenn played an entire season and part of another at LT. That's plenty of time, 18 games, not to mention his other 28 games, to get an idea of whether he can play LT or not. Sure, there is no sure thing or exact science, but there is plenty to go on.

Edited by Kelly the Dog