Phil Sims comments about Tannehill

Anyone hear this interview on Sirius? Sims looked at a bunch of tape on several on the quarterbacks that are in the draft, and the Tannehill comments were interesting. He said that Tannehill played in the most pro-style offense compared to all the others. Tannehill made a lot of sideline throws, going for single coverage. I'm guessing Sims is referring to the deep out route. Sims wouldn't guess where he'd go in the draft, however Kerwin had him going to Miami. That would help our chances of someone we like falling to 10.

i think it's pretty much a lock that tannehill is going top 10 now. he could go as high as 4.

Really?

I just do not get that. I mean scouts for teams are out there the entire year at games. Tannehill has been on people's radar for over a year. You are going to tell me that since the end of the season till now he has moved up that far? Or is it that media guys do not have good contacts with teams to know how they feel a player projects?

Where does all this stuff come from through out the year. For awhile people been saying he is a late first to second round player.

He could go 4 or he could go 44 i have no clue. But it sounds like there is a lot of people unsure of how good the kid is. I think that if you take him in the top 10 you are gambling. He has 19 starts at QB in college.

He is going to need atleast one year maybe two to develope. And then you hope the potential was worth the pick. Goes against the in the top 10 you should get a starter from day one.

RG and Luck are going to start the first play of 2012 season, barring injury.

you can destroy a guy if you throw him to the dogs before he is ready for it.

i think it's pretty much a lock that tannehill is going top 10 now. he could go as high as 4.

I think you're right - he could go as high as round 4 (there hasn't been a 10th round in years - if he's not drafted by round 7, someone will likely take a shot on him as an undrafted free agent).

Really?

I just do not get that. I mean scouts for teams are out there the entire year at games. Tannehill has been on people's radar for over a year. You are going to tell me that since the end of the season till now he has moved up that far? Or is it that media guys do not have good contacts with teams to know how they feel a player projects?

Where does all this stuff come from through out the year. For awhile people been saying he is a late first to second round player.

He could go 4 or he could go 44 i have no clue. But it sounds like there is a lot of people unsure of how good the kid is. I think that if you take him in the top 10 you are gambling. He has 19 starts at QB in college.

He is going to need atleast one year maybe two to develope. And then you hope the potential was worth the pick. Goes against the in the top 10 you should get a starter from day one.

Newton, gabbert, luck and ponder went early last year. Tannehill is in the talk with a few of those

I can certainly see Miami taking him after they struck out in F/A for a qb. They are a team could very well buy the pre draft hype that tends to push certain guys higher and higher on draft day.

Newton, gabbert, luck and ponder went early last year. Tannehill is in the talk with a few of those

But those guys had a much bigger body of work to look at, except Newton, and he was a freak of nature and just won the N.C.

I get what you are saying and i am glad the Bills are not taking that gamble. Could work out and hope it does, as long as he doesn't go to the Fins and becomes the next Marino. ha

Really?

It is the nature of the position. Cleveland, Miami are desperate for a franchise QB (and the Bills to some extent) and they pick in the top 10. Tannehill is the 3rd best QB in this draft. While scouts may project him to be a top 20-32 pick (like a J.P. Losman) and require him to learn the pro-offense (due to his low college experience), QB needy teams are going to take him where their draft slot is. If Miami can trade down to the 15 and pick him up, I am sure they will want to do it. But you may not have a trading partner.

The point is simple: QB needy teams in the top 10 that cannot get Luck and RGIII...Hence, they will get Tannehill at their spot (#4 or #8). Tannehill is going to be the key to this draft. If Cleveland picks Tannehill at #4 and Minny picks the LT, the draft could get jumbled for us @ 10.

Really?

It's simply that teams in need of franchise QB's are under a tremendous amount of pressure to select a QB in the draft, if given the chance, if that QB is said to be capable of leading an NFL team. It's so hard to get good QB's in the NFL - so when, this time of year, certain QB's stock rises - due to the fact that perhaps they played with inferior offenses in school, or were not playing as long, but that their measurables amount to something potentially good or great - that is when the teams make these decisions. Sometimes they feel they cannot pass on a chance, or that the risk is worth it.

Luck went early last year?

Locker.... Derrrr..... Sorry, brain said one thing, fingers typed something else

But those guys had a much bigger body of work to look at, except Newton, and he was a freak of nature and just won the N.C.

I get what you are saying and i am glad the Bills are not taking that gamble. Could work out and hope it does, as long as he doesn't go to the Fins and becomes the next Marino. ha

Longer resume only helps so much when it's not as good. 3 of those guys had definite question marks. Locker was crazy inaccurate, gabbert flew up out of nowhere, and ponder didn't have the first round arm. I'm just saying if those guys all fell that early, so could tannehill easily. Doesn't mean he SHOULD, but he very well could.

Edited by NoSaint

I think you're right - he could go as high as round 4 (there hasn't been a 10th round in years - if he's not drafted by round 7, someone will likely take a shot on him as an undrafted free agent).

what the hell are you talking about?

I think some team will be unable to hold back their desire to play with their Talleywhacker. This will result in his premature matriculation.

Anyone hear this interview on Sirius? Sims looked at a bunch of tape on several on the quarterbacks that are in the draft, and the Tannehill comments were interesting. He said that Tannehill played in the most pro-style offense compared to all the others. Tannehill made a lot of sideline throws, going for single coverage. I'm guessing Sims is referring to the deep out route. Sims wouldn't guess where he'd go in the draft, however Kerwin had him going to Miami. That would help our chances of someone we like falling to 10.

Most of the vids on youtube show simple sideline throws, not deep.

Really?

I very rarely accept the hype of people falling or rising unless it is character issues or something coming to light that scares teams off like Mallet last year. Alot of times when you hear fast risers the "experts" are just finding out who scouts like or when they fall they are just hearing that teams dont like someone that the "experts" think they should. I know alot of people like myself buy draft mags and read online articles about certain players but i think most of it is just rehashed crap from other so called draftniks. If a team feels any guy at almost any position is a great player and they want him then they will take him in the first round even if kiper says fourth round grade.

So lets assume Tannehill goes before the bills pick.

That means the following 7 are definitely off the board before Buffalo:

3 Quarterbacks (Luck, RGIII, Tannehill)

1 Wide Receiver (Blackmon)

1 Running Back (Richardson

1 Left Tackle (Kalil)

1 Corner Back (Claiborne)

That essentially leaves 2 wild card picks, with the most likely picks being (DE Ingram, DT Poe, DE Coples, WR Floyd, OT Reiff)

Lets hope those 2 picks end up being pass rushers.. then we'll pretty much have our pick whether it be Kuechly, Floyd, or Reiff.

Tannehill = bum

Wouldn't even think of drafting the guy until the 4th or later. He is very JP-esque with his decision making. Not worth a first by any means. After Luck and RGIII, the only QB I would even take a flyer on is Russel Wilson and that's in the 5th or later.

Edited by H2o

If we take Kuechly, does that mean we blew it last year with the Kelvin Sheppard pick? Or is he your BPA?

Blew a mid rounder when running a different scheme? I'd say LK could probably play outside too. Shep being first off the bench wouldn't be a failure though.

Could be he surprises everyone and turns out to be the top QB in the draft. Don't scoff! Remember Brady? Round #6 pick!

Locker.... Derrrr..... Sorry, brain said one thing, fingers typed something else

Longer resume only helps so much when it's not as good. 3 of those guys had definite question marks. Locker was crazy inaccurate, gabbert flew up out of nowhere, and ponder didn't have the first round arm. I'm just saying if those guys all fell that early, so could tannehill easily. Doesn't mean he SHOULD, but he very well could.

I get what you and the rest of the guys are saying, i do. I know QB is the most important position, but if you have a guy you know needs more maturing, why draft him this low? So what if you go out and have a 2-14 year next year, and can pick the best QB next draft, you just pissed away your top 10 pick this year.

I guess it is a catch 22. or at the very least a huge gamble.

So lets assume Tannehill goes before the bills pick.

That means the following 7 are definitely off the board before Buffalo:

3 Quarterbacks (Luck, RGIII, Tannehill)

1 Wide Receiver (Blackmon)

1 Running Back (Richardson

1 Left Tackle (Kalil)

1 Corner Back (Claiborne)

That essentially leaves 2 wild card picks, with the most likely picks being (DE Ingram, DT Poe, DE Coples, WR Floyd, OT Reiff)

Lets hope those 2 picks end up being pass rushers.. then we'll pretty much have our pick whether it be Kuechly, Floyd, or Reiff.

What makes you think Poe is going in the Top 10, let alone first round?