All Peyton Manning, all the time!

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120214/SPORTS03/120214035/Irsay-Manning-We-can-make-work-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

"Owner Jim Irsay is open to Peyton Manning remaining with the Indianapolis Colts and finishing his NFL career where it began, but the ultimate decision will rest with wether the iconic quarterback is willing to restructure his contract."

You have to look beyond the words. This is posturing at its greatest. Irsay is a master at this. Irsay is playing a public relations game in order to minimize his blame from the fan base because of Mannings departure.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

You have to look beyond the words. This is posturing at its greatest. Irsay is a master at this. Irsay is playing a public relations game in order to minimize his blame from the fan base because of Mannings departure.

Posturing? Isn't Irsay simply stating what everyone on Earth--including Indy already knows--that there is no way any team would pay him 28 million in March when it seems he still can't throw the ball properly?

Exactly. Irsay already blew, what 26 mil this season. No way he'll pay another 28 mil for "noodle arm" Manning.

NFL contracts are insured, because manning didn't play a down irsay's insurance company paid manning's salary. This whole thing is a publicity nightmare but financially its like a godsend for irsay. He could end up trading manning for some real top draft choices and get andrew luck and have a ton of cap room to sign free agents.

"Some" draft picks? How many would YOU give for Manning? I'd make a shot at signing him but I wouldn't give anything to the Colts in return. Besides, Manning has a trade clause in his agreement if memory serves?

Tim-

it would be conditional picks based on health and if he leads the team to the superbowl. look at what oakland gave for carson palmer, there were many more picks if he took oak to the playoffs and escalated with each playoff win i believe. If a team thinks they're close and offer two firsts and manning takes them to two straight deep playoff runs they are offering picks late in the first round which are less valuable.

"Some" draft picks? How many would YOU give for Manning? I'd make a shot at signing him but I wouldn't give anything to the Colts in return. Besides, Manning has a trade clause in his agreement if memory serves?

Tim-

I'd give them everything. It would be a bargain. Let the Bills use them, and they're all wasted. If that's what it takes for the Bills to be a success story, then put the money down and sign him.

He gets his best financial deal staying in Indy with Irsay. The bonus is a reward for past performance. He'll only get a bonus, however restructured from Indy.

Any other team will pay based on expected future performance.

No team outside Indy is going to give Manning a lot of money nor is Indy going to get a lot of important draft picks for him in a trade. There's too many questions. No GM wants to be on the hook for trading and signing a QB that can't throw to his left (as some reports state) and/or he's nowhere near being in game shape and/or with questions of whether he can play again.

I'll take a Manning trade seriously when he has a "pro day" of sorts to showcase that he's alright.

Edited by dpberr

He gets his best financial deal staying in Indy with Irsay. The bonus is a reward for past performance. He'll only get a bonus, however restructured from Indy.

No team outside Indy is going to give Manning a lot of money nor is Indy going to get a lot of important draft picks for him in a trade. There's too many questions. No GM wants to be on the hook for trading and signing a QB that can't throw to his left (as some reports state) and/or he's nowhere near being in game shape and/or with questions of whether he can play again.

I'll take a Manning trade seriously when he has a "pro day" of sorts to showcase that he's alright.

What if the restructure eliminates the bonus totally? We have no idea what irsay will push.

NFL contracts are insured, because manning didn't play a down irsay's insurance company paid manning's salary. This whole thing is a publicity nightmare but financially its like a godsend for irsay. He could end up trading manning for some real top draft choices and get andrew luck and have a ton of cap room to sign free agents.

He may be insured for last year but the fact that Irsay is not going to pay the full 28 million bonus under any circumstance tells me the roster bonus is not insured. Also he has been medically cleared to play, so if he can't throw 100% it will be the Colts loss completely.

This seems like a non-story in the sense that at no time in this process has Manning stated a willingness to restructure his deal. In this particular game of chicken Irsay has been and will continue to be the one that HAS to make a decision. Manning can sit back and either get paid or be given a weeks time to line up teams for another pay day. I don't care if this guy is in a wheel chair, at least a few teams will be willing to pay a king's ransom for his services.If it is not about the money for him then I would think that landing on a playoff team would be a real possibility. By the way, if Manning gets cut before FA does that allow for him to sign with another team before the official start of FA due to being cut?