Do the Bills need to trim any of this?

Kaenon

2012 Salary Numbers:

Dwan Edwards: $3.8M........................... (& $3.65M in 2013), age = 31 in May

Drayton Florence: $4.0M....................... (& $5.00M in 2013), age = 32 in December

Spencer Johnson: $3.0M........................ (FA in 2013), age = 31 in December

Chris Kelsay: $3.5M.............................. ($3.725M in 2013), age = 33 in October

George Wilson: $1.75M......................... ($2.00M in 2013), age = turned 31 two days ago

This is $16.05M in 2012 salary for guys for which none of them are guaranteed starters, and they are all in their 30s.

Just curious as to what your thoughts were.

2012 Salary Numbers:

Dwan Edwards: $3.8M........................... (& $3.65M in 2013), age = 31 in May

Drayton Florence: $4.0M....................... (& $5.00M in 2013), age = 32 in December

Spencer Johnson: $3.0M........................ (FA in 2013), age = 31 in December

Chris Kelsay: $3.5M.............................. ($3.725M in 2013), age = 33 in October

George Wilson: $1.75M......................... ($2.00M in 2013), age = turned 31 two days ago

This is $16.05M in 2012 salary for guys for which none of them are guaranteed starters, and they are all in their 30s.

George Wilson, Drayton Florence and Chris Kelsey should not be on this list for "trimming." I was especially taken aback when I saw George Wilson up there. He and Byrd are a fantastic tandem. Were we watching different games? He is for sure a guarenteed starter, and a good one at that imo!

2012 Salary Numbers:

Florence will start, Kelsay will probably start (given Merriman's injury), and Wilson will start. We could still save the $6.8M on Edwards and Johnson.

George Wilson, Drayton Florence and Chris Kelsey should not be on this list for "trimming." I was especially taken aback when I saw George Wilson up there. He and Byrd are a fantastic tandem. Were we watching different games? He is for sure a guarenteed starter, and a good one at that imo!

I thought Searcy played very well as a rookie and could possibly earn himself a starting spot on this defense in 2012.

Florence has the best shot to start, and Kelsay could be expendable with Carrington and another draft pick.

Oh, and although Merriman has a $4.0M base salary, I think $3.0M of that is guaranteed.

If there are better players available to replace them at comparable cost, than yes. Otherwise, no.

Every team has average quality players and none of those guys are that expensive.

Edited by KD in CT

Edwards and Johnson are most definitely on the block...I'd honestly release Edwards as soon as possible. Not because he's not a talented guy, and he sure played hard for us and did whatever we asked of him...but its unfair to keep a pure 3-4 DE in a 4-3 system. I say free him up and give him the chance to sign up with another squad.

Florence will start, Kelsay will probably start (given Merriman's injury), and Wilson will start. We could still save the $6.8M on Edwards and Johnson.

Those guys are all worth keeping, and I'd hold Spencer Johnson as well. He could be the team's third DT and helpful to us in that role as depth and in the rotation. We'll get him off the books next year.

Edwards I can go either way on. Solid football player and good against the run, but a better fit for a 3-4 than our 4-3, even though he's capable at DT. I just don't know if he's worth it at 3.8M.

Just read over at Rotoworld per Lombardi,

Wimbley is one of a handful of veterans, including Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb, Ravens LT Bryant McKinnie, Eagles CB Joselio Hanson, and Bills DE Spencer Johnson, with roster bonuses due.

Will the Bills want to pay now that they've signed Williams?

Edited by Kaenon

I dont see much of a reason to cut anyone at the moment, wait to see how everything is in camp. You only cut people now if they are grossly overpaid or trying to free up money to make another move. Niether is the case.

I dont see much of a reason to cut anyone at the moment, wait to see how everything is in camp. You only cut people now if they are grossly overpaid or trying to free up money to make another move. Niether is the case.

I thought Searcy played very well as a rookie and could possibly earn himself a starting spot on this defense in 2012.

Florence has the best shot to start, and Kelsay could be expendable with Carrington and another draft pick.

Oh, and although Merriman has a $4.0M base salary, I think $3.0M of that is guaranteed.

There were times last year when Wilson was the best player on the field.. He is not expendable and neither is Kelsay.

2012 Salary Numbers:

Wilson stays, Florence, Kelsay stays (yuck). Spencer Johnson's on the bubble, Edwards should be gone like yesterday's diapers.

GW was being mentioned as a DPOY candidate last year before his injury and the teams skid. He has been playing like a top 5 safety for the last few seasons. Florence, whatever you want to say about him, is our best CB. D Edwards is still productive and is likely our 3rd DT. Kelsay is a starter, had his best two season his last two season, and he has nudie pics of Ralph. Johnson is the only one I see getting cut.

PS How did McKelvin not make this list? Troup too, although I have no idea how much he makes.

2012 Salary Numbers:

Everything must GO!!! We need Kamerion Wimbley!!!! LOL

Did someone just advocate cutting George Wilson, who is making less than $2 million per season? Do you even watch the Bills?

You did indeed read that very thing, and it's fair to ask that very question. Wilson stays in any rational world.

Edwards is a pure 3-4 end and has struggled with injuries. He's played hard for us, and deserves a chance to look for a 3-4 team. His $5M could go to resign Jackson or sign draftees, so I think he may be on the block.

Johnson was totally asked to play out-of-position last year -- any defense featuring Johnson and Kelsey as LB is a bad defense -- he played gamely and I don't really have a good handle on his quality as a player.

Agreed with those that said Edwards should be released, or should have been released already.

Wilson, Kelsay, and Florence should all stay, and will see a lot of playing time.

Spencer Johnson should be kept as well. I think he is much better than people give him credit for. Remember, he played DT until he got to Buffalo, and then moved to DE, and then to OLB. Only George Edwards would try to make a DT into an OLB. :rolleyes:

I think moving him back to DT and letting him play DT/DE backup is good depth at good value. Something we've been trying to build all along.

2012 Salary Numbers:

Spencer Johnson had a great preseason last year when he was playing on the d-line. Once we moved him to LB, he was terrible…I still don’t understand how any coach thought that was a good idea. Keep him and he’s probably our 3rd DT. Florence should be better with an actual pass rush, as should the rest of our DBs. I agree he’s not great but is decent enough until someone else steps up to replace him. I would try and trade Dwan Edwards, there’s got to be some 3-4 team that would give up a mid to late round pick for him. He played hard a fairly well. Based on the roster as it is now, we need to hang onto Kelsay for at least 1 more year. I don’t want to cut him, have Merriman and another lineman go down and then have no one to replace them. We need quality depth on the d-line so we can keep a solid rotation going and make sure Mario, Marcel & Kyle are fresh near the end of the game. I really hope this is the year Carrington & Troup break out.

Cut George Wilson?!?!?!? Puff-puff-give my friend!