Buddy will be on PFT in a moment

Peter

Interesting. Looks like its the Draft then for our 2nd WR.

Best guess is that Nix sees all of the outrageously inflated contracts the 2nd and 3rd WRs are getting in FA this year and would rather try his luck in the Draft.

Edited by BillsGuyBackInMalta

Buddy said that he got a call about the SD offer to Meachem about 11:30 at night and told them (presumably Meachem's agent) he should go ahead and take it.

Buddy is a straight shooter. I am happy he is our GM.

Silverlight is a terrible plugin. PFT live is a drag on my laptop and it's a really nice computer.

But I digress. I am now confident we're not looking at WR in the early rounds. We need a franchise LT, 1 CB, 2 LBs 1-2 DEs. I guess we're looking for WRs later in the draft.

Buddy said that he got a call about the SD offer to Meachem about 11:30 at night and told them (presumably Meachem's agent) he should go ahead and take it.

Buddy is a straight shooter. I am happy he is our GM.

So much for that guy claiming the Bills offered Meachem $8.6M/year. I knew that was wrong and/or a joke.

So much for that guy claiming the Bills offered Meachem $8.6M/year. I knew that was wrong and/or a joke.

Wasnt it allready reported that Meachem called Buddy in the middle of the night trying to get him to match the offer and Buddy simply replied that's a really good deal kid, take it.

I love the fact that everyone just assumed Meachem and his agent had "played" the Bills, when it appears as though Meachem may have wanted to play in Buffalo but SD threw stupid money at him -- and thankfully, Nix was smart enough to say "not at that price."

Can't you just hear Buddy on the phone? "Son, you'd be a goddamned fool not to take that money."

I love the fact that everyone just assumed Meachem and his agent had "played" the Bills, when it appears as though Meachem may have wanted to play in Buffalo but SD threw stupid money at him -- and thankfully, Nix was smart enough to say "not at that price."

Can't you just hear Buddy on the phone? "Son, you'd be a goddamned fool not to take that money."

If I could like or rec this I would :worthy: I don't blame Meachem for going to SD a #1 wr and the money that go with that plus Rivers throwing to you? Our offer probably wasn't that weak and he would still take that.

BTW PTF has proven to me the last few days how bad they are now they want me to install a special plug in to watch that? Um no, I would rather watch free streams with weird, crazy, plug ins that do that.

I said this in the Stephen Hill thread but it's really about Buddy and our WR. It's not that he doesn't think we need one, it's that he wants a big, fast one who is capable of making some plays and there aren't any.

Listening to Buddy Nix is a fascinating science. He's amazingly honest (percentage wise), especially in retrospect. Nix had his eye on Meachem because Nix likes big WR, he wanted speed on the outside, and he likes his WR to block well. I am really not sure whether Meachem can block well but he fit the first two criterion perfectly. That's why he was Buddy's target.

Stephen Hill fits all three Buddy Nix criterion, although so does Floyd. Nix also likes guys that have produced over a few years at big schools in top competition, which Floyd has, and he clearly likes guys from Southern schools, which Hill is. Obviously, you're never going to get all of your wishes from a player, but I could easily imagine Nix selecting Hill or Floyd #1. To me, the only reason we won't is if Buddy and the scouts like a LT who is left at 10 like Martin or Reiff.

I said this in the Stephen Hill thread but it's really about Buddy and our WR. It's not that he doesn't think we need one, it's that he wants a big, fast one who is capable of making some plays and there aren't any.

Listening to Buddy Nix is a fascinating science. He's amazingly honest (percentage wise), especially in retrospect. Nix had his eye on Meachem because Nix likes big WR, he wanted speed on the outside, and he likes his WR to block well. I am really not sure whether Meachem can block well but he fit the first two criterion perfectly. That's why he was Buddy's target.

Stephen Hill fits all three Buddy Nix criterion, although so does Floyd. Nix also likes guys that have produced over a few years at big schools in top competition, which Floyd has, and he clearly likes guys from Southern schools, which Hill is. Obviously, you're never going to get all of your wishes from a player, but I could easily imagine Nix selecting Hill or Floyd #1. To me, the only reason we won't is if Buddy and the scouts like a LT who is left at 10 like Martin or Reiff.

^^^^^ This

The FA market for WR has nothing for us now. Buddy preaches getting players that will help us but at the right value, hence him telling Meecham's agent 'Not for that price'. We can't fill all of our holes overnight, but I can see us taking one of the WRs at 10 or an LT if one of them top tier guys are still there. RD3 will almost certainly be a 4-3 DE.

Kelly is correct though; in retrospect, Nix has been extremely honest.

1331919268[/url]' post='2411466']

i dont see how the Bills can go into next season with the receivers they currently have

On one hand, I completely agree with you. However, on the other hand, I say... you don't just sign any guy out there just to sign someone. If you have an idea of the type of player you want or need and you can't get them, then you move on to something else.

That's why so many FA signings don't work, IMO. People chase names and past production and fail to think about whether or not he will fit into what your team needs. Mario, for example, is a great fit for Buffalo. Not because of what he's done so much, but because he's exactly what we need ... a true 4-3 DE that can pressure the passer.

So, yes, we need to sign a good WR. But, we need a big guy that can stretch the field and adjust on the fly to Fitz's innacurate passes. If that guy is not on the market... then you don't waste money on someone else just for the sake of saying you brought in a WR. And after looking at what's left on the FA market, I say lets look at who we can draft.

There's no way Stephen Hill is the pick. He had about 25 catches last year and a good combine. He has not dominated anywhere except the combine. I could see Floyd, and OT, a DT (Cox), a LB (Kuechly) or an Ingram (what the heck is he?). Why not wait for one of the large Big 10 WRs later in the draft? Or Juron Criner...

Man I really hope we at least take a receiver in the later rounds of the draft or hopefully Easley can step up and regain some of his college from. I don't think I can stomach Donald Jones being our number 2 wide receiver for another season. He is putrid.

Nix is a straight shooter.

No wr in the first.

If Hill is there in the second, which he woul dof for sure pre combine, maybe they take him. If they do i will not think of it as a reach, due to Buddy and Chan's connection to GT.

OT in the first, then BPA in the second at highest need areas WR, CB, OLB, in that order to i think.

Pesonally i would love to see them take a pass rushing DE in the second. With how big Mario is, they could steal a page out of the Giants D play book and move him inside on pasing downs. basically say '3 and long, have 4 guys on the line that know how to get to the passer'!

I think the team has good run stopping ability right now on it.

I live about 5 blocks away from GA Tech, and have a number of friends who go there or are alumni. The only thing they say about Stephen Hill is "Pick him if you don't mind dropped balls". Apparently, he has a worse case of droppsies at the worst times, than even Stevie does. Not sure we want to bring that onto the squad. Just the 2cents from the fans.

I live about 5 blocks away from GA Tech, and have a number of friends who go there or are alumni. The only thing they say about Stephen Hill is "Pick him if you don't mind dropped balls". Apparently, he has a worse case of droppsies at the worst times, than even Stevie does. Not sure we want to bring that onto the squad. Just the 2cents from the fans.

That does not sound good, of course. I don't really have any opinion of him at all, I have never seen him play.

All WR drop balls, and some of the very best drop a lot of balls. I love having Stevie on my team and he drops a lot of balls. Bowe I would love to have and he drops a lot. TO was an all time great WR who dropped a lot. Usually, if they're really good, they more than make up for the drops with two things: They make spectacular catches they have no business making more times than they drop the easy ones (and sometimes it's a lot of both) -- and they are almost always open and make a lot of plays so it's worth the occasional drop. That is surely the case with SJ.

To me, the only reason we won't is if Buddy and the scouts like a LT who is left at 10 like Martin or Reiff.

Fingers crossed that one of those guys will be available.

To me, the O-line's success last year was like the winter weather we had in Buffalo this year--nice, but hardly something we can count on occuring again soon.

We need to beef up the starting group and have better backup depth for when the inevitable injury bug hits. Much more important than WRs, IMO...

Fingers crossed that one of those guys will be available.

To me, the O-line's success last year was like the winter weather we had in Buffalo this year--nice, but hardly something we can count on occuring again soon.

We need to beef up the starting group and have better backup depth for when the inevitable injury bug hits. Much more important than WRs, IMO...

Agreed. If there is a LT at #10 they like, I want him, much more than a WR. We just have no idea how high Buddy and his scouts rate Reiff or Martin. Hopefully very high because they will take him.

Buddy may not "lie", but he's certainly not going to be completely forthcoming regarding what they'll be doing in the draft. Trust me, if Blackmon is there at #10, he'll be a Bill.

Buddy may not "lie", but he's certainly not going to be completely forthcoming regarding what they'll be doing in the draft. Trust me, if Blackmon is there at #10, he'll be a Bill.

All he said in reference to WR is implying they were not going to be signing one in FA. It had nothing to do with the draft. I think there are a few WR he will consider high in the draft, and surely if Blackmon is available he will be grabbed immediately (unless they have some black mark on him we don't know about).