McShays Latest Mock

section122

For those that say pass rushers aren't available in the top of this draft he has them going picks 7,8, and 10. Coples @ 7, Ingram @ 8(dolphins). Also off the board are Luck, Kalil, Reiff, RG3, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Brockers. He also has the Jets taking Barron (S Alabama) and the Pats* Chandler Jones (@27) and Brandon Thompson DT Clemson (@31). A couple of other things I found interesting where; Mercilus is not in his first round, Tannehill to the Broncos(!), Kendall Wright ahead of Floyd (starting to see this more and more), and two TEs in the first round (Fleener to Hou @ 26 and Allen to NYG). Also like his comment that I bolded!

Buffalo Bills

Record: 6-10

Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama

Buffalo nailed the 2011 draft with three strong picks on defense (DL Marcell Dareus, CB Aaron Williams, LB Kelvin Sheppard), and the chance to add a pass-rusher like Upshaw would be hard to pass up. Upshaw is a versatile DE/OLB hybrid, and while he doesn't have elite speed he shows savvy as a pass-rusher and effective quickness-to-power moves. He's also very strong against the run and was highly productive in the SEC.

So what say you guys?

I think we're going to make a serious go at Mario Williams.

And if we land him? All these mocks will have to go back to the drawing board, because we'll be taking the best WR available.

I would be inclined to think that we will likely find the WR in FA and get the pass rusher in the draft. Depening on if Nix gets snow jobbed by Merriman again or not he might not think DE is a need and be more inclined to get a OLB like Upshaw and get a DE to "develop" behind Merriman.

I like that Upshaw has been an extremely productive player on a team that plays high level competition for more than one season. I do have a little concern withhis size and if he canplay DE in a 4-3, but I rate productivity over measurables in my evaluations. He has been productive. Has anyone heard what Dareus has said about him, if anything. They played together last year and his input would be valuable.

I also like that his home town - EUFAULA, AL -- almost reads like BUFFALO, NY :blush: Not sure the weather will be similar. <_<

For those that say pass rushers aren't available in the top of this draft he has them going picks 7,8, and 10. Coples @ 7, Ingram @ 8(dolphins). Also off the board are Luck, Kalil, Reiff, RG3, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Brockers. He also has the Jets taking Barron (S Alabama) and the Pats* Chandler Jones (@27) and Brandon Thompson DT Clemson (@31). A couple of other things I found interesting where; Mercilus is not in his first round, Tannehill to the Broncos(!), Kendall Wright ahead of Floyd (starting to see this more and more), and two TEs in the first round (Fleener to Hou @ 26 and Allen to NYG). Also like his comment that I bolded!

Buffalo Bills

Buffalo nailed the 2011 draft with three strong picks on defense (DL Marcell Dareus, CB Aaron Williams, LB Kelvin Sheppard), and the chance to add a pass-rusher like Upshaw would be hard to pass up. Upshaw is a versatile DE/OLB hybrid, and while he doesn't have elite speed he shows savvy as a pass-rusher and effective quickness-to-power moves. He's also very strong against the run and was highly productive in the SEC.

So what say you guys?

I'll take Upshaw. I think RGIII is worth trading 2-3 high picks for, but that's only in my dreams. Upshaw is a sturdy player, probably not much upside, but also very low risk. So long as he stays healthy...he'll produce.

I'd love to see the Bills make a run at Mario Williams. Maybe Ralph will give Buddy the okay, maybe not. They need to add to the payroll in order to meet the minimum cap. I just can't see it coming together. Bills need to pay a premium to convince that type of name to come to Buffalo, and I don't think Ralph will go for it.

Buffalo Bills

So what say you guys?

Melvin Ingram out of South Carolina will be a better NFL player than Upshaw. Go to Youtube and watch some tape on the two. Ingram is much more physical, faster, and a better athlete than Upshaw. Upshaw will fall in the draft like Nick Fairley do last year.

Upshaw Ingram

2011- 9.5 sacks 2011- 10.5 sacks

17.5 career sacks 21.5 career sacks

2011 18 Tackles for a loss 2011- 15 tackles for a loss

36.5 tackles for a loss career 30.5- career

take these stats and consider that Upshaw is generally asked to play the line of scrimmage (rush the passer and stop the run) While Ingram is all over the place covering passes down field, Upshaw has had more oppurtunities at the line. Ingram is also a special teams stud, has returned kicks and caught passes. IMO Ingram will go higher than Upshaw come April.

I want Coples but no part of Ingram

like Upshaw but think he falls in this draft

Things will obviously shake up after the combine but right now Upshaw is listed as the 16th best player or something like that on espn.com. If the draft took place today they would say he fits a need but was a reach.

I could be surprised but I don't think that anyone will be blown away by his measureables boosting his stock too much. He's a bit short with short arms. Hes nothing special in the speed department that I am aware of but he is a SOLIDLY built player.

Measureables aren't everything but I would say that they are likely the largest contributing factors to post combine draft stock rises. There should be no question that we should at the very least be able to get Upshaw.

That being said I would love for Coples to fall to us. I don't buy the "he played not to get hurt" and "inconsistent motor" BS. The guy is a beast! You can't teach that but you can motivate it. Let's not talk ourselves out of the next Orakpo like some of us did prior to the ?2009? draft. Of course nobody expected Maybin instead but just sayin.

Edited by PDaDdy

Things will obviously shake up after the combine but right now Upshaw is listed as the 16th best player or something like that on espn.com. If the draft took place today they would say he fits a need but was a reach.

I just think he ends up falling a little bit

not sure where he fits in a 4-3 either

i think Coples is exactly what they need, pass rusher that can play the run and makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage

I just think he ends up falling a little bit

not sure where he fits in a 4-3 either

i think Coples is exactly what they need, pass rusher that can play the run and makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage

Despite his detracters Coples appears to be EXACTLY what we need. I'm not a huge fan of moving up or even discussing it due to a realistic lack of trade partners. If we could however throw in one of our 2 or 3 extra picks this year to move up just ahead of the Dolphins and Panthers to say where the Jaguars sit at 7 I would not be pissed one bit.

I could be surprised but I don't think that anyone will be blown away by his measureables boosting his stock too much. He's a bit short with short arms. Hes nothing special in the speed department that I am aware of but he is a SOLIDLY built player.

Measureables aren't everything but I would say that they are likely the largest contributing factors to post combine draft stock rises. There should be no question that we should at the very least be able to get Upshaw.

That being said I would love for Coples to fall to us. I don't buy the "he played not to get hurt" and "inconsistent motor" BS. The guy is a beast! You can't teach that but you can motivate it. Let's not talk ourselves out of the next Orakpo like some of us did prior to the ?2009? draft. Of course nobody expected Maybin instead but just sayin.

Taking a guy projected at 16 at number 10 is not a "reach."

"Reach" and "draft value" are 2 of the most idiotic terms thrown about when it comes to draft analisys. They have no meaning or basis in actual reality. It's simply a way for these mock draft losers to make it look like they were right and the NFL teams were wrong.

Edited by Ramius

I dunno what you see in Ingram to say you want no part of him. Reminds me of Dumervil. Pretty much unblockable. That being said...wouldn't we all be happy with Upshaw, Ingram, Mercilus, Coples....just no cornerback or QB reach. I'm even okay with Reiff or Martin, etc.

And if we land him? All these mocks will have to go back to the drawing board, because we'll be taking the best WR available.

Don't we need 2 pass rushers? Kelsay may have gotten an extension but that doesn't mean he won't be pushed for his job... I say we go after Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson in FA n then leave FA alone... Then focus on the draft and with the first pick being another pass rusher.

2nd pick should be an outside linebacker

3rd pick - OL, TE, WR

The rest just cross our fingers...

Oh and obviously sign our own free agents that need to be signed...

Not an easy year to be Buddy Nix if you ask me... This year HAS to be his best draft and free agent signing year or he's done...

Edited by HuSeYiN1978

Taking a guy projected at 16 at number 10 is not a "reach."

"Reach" and "draft value" are 2 of the most idiotic terms thrown about when it comes to draft analisys. They have no meaning or basis in actual reality. It's simply a way for these mock draft losers to make it look like they were right and the NFL teams were wrong.

Well it's actually based on the players ranking by scouts. Scouts Inc specifically. This isn't Kyper and McShay grading them who have actually had some successes to back up their speculation. Kyper in particular. So the concept of a reach is what it is. You can't make it go away because you want it to. Given that the draft is inherently risky teams usually try to go with the players that have the "better odds" of succeeding which they attempt to equate to some sort of draft stock rating.

I get that you are in love with Upshaw. I wouldn't be upset at all if we took him at #10. What an AWESOME "consolation prize" he would be. I would still prefer Coples because I think he perfectly fits our needs and would be without question the highest ranked player on either side of the ball if he fell to us at #10 which he won't :( Upshaw also fits a huge need for us as well and was a teammate of Dareus which I think would bode well for the Bills.

Edited by PDaDdy

I'd be happy with the Upshaw pick.

I don't care if the Bills go out and get Mario Williams. I'd still take Upshaw.

I'd be delightfully stunned to see that happen, but you can never have enough pass rushing talent. Hoard it like it's gold.

Well it's actually based on the players ranking by scouts. Scouts Inc specifically. This isn't Kyper and McShay grading them who have actually had some successes to back up their speculation. Kyper in particular. So the concept of a reach is what it is. You can't make it go away because you want it to. Given that the draft is inherently risky teams usually try to go with the players that have the "better odds" of succeeding which they attempt to equate to some sort of draft stock rating.

I get that you are in love with Upshaw. I wouldn't be upset at all if we took him at #10. What an AWESOME "consolation prize" he would be. I would still prefer Coples because I think he perfectly fits our needs and would be without question the highest ranked player on either side of the ball if he fell to us at #10 which he won't :( Upshaw also fits a huge need for us as well and was a teammate of Dareus which I think would bode well for the Bills.

Well I don't necessarily disagree with your points I do want to point out that mcshay IS scouts inc.

Well I don't necessarily disagree with your points I do want to point out that mcshay IS scouts inc.

Really? I tried looking that up. Do you have any information on that? If McShay IS Scouts Inc then it is not the source of independently evaluated talent that I thought it was.

I don't want a "hybrid" OLB/DE player. I like Upshaw, but I'm very concern about either position he'd play in this defense.

OLB - is he going to have to cover Gronk with his lack of height and short arm length? Yeah, good luck with that.

DE - opposing QBs will have absolutely no fear of a batted ball at the LOS.

Sorry, I just don't see him being the great pass rusher that they are looking for.

Edited by 1billsfan

Really? I tried looking that up. Do you have any information on that? If McShay IS Scouts Inc then it is not the source of independently evaluated talent that I thought it was.

yep. Not to say the info is bad or not credible but his mock is directly drawn from his rankings.

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/03/10/mcshay_todd/

quoted from the article

McShay is the director of college football scouting for ESPN Scouts Inc., where he has been evaluating prospects for the NFL Draft since 1998

Prior to joining ESPN, McShay worked full-time for “The War Room,” (1999-2006), a start-up scouting publication created by former NFL scout Gary Horton. It soon became a crosscheck for 16 NFL scouting departments and a go-to-source of information for CBS and The Sporting News. ESPN purchased the business in 2006 and changed the name to Scouts Inc.

I tried looking it up as well, and all i could find was a couple of the scouts, inc "directors." They all had experience, but the article dealt with ranking high school players for recruiting. They all are ESPN employees.

Will we be able to afford a FA contract that size?

Edited by jjmac

I like that Upshaw has been an extremely productive player on a team that plays high level competition for more than one season. I do have a little concern withhis size and if he canplay DE in a 4-3, but I rate productivity over measurables in my evaluations. He has been productive. Has anyone heard what Dareus has said about him, if anything. They played together last year and his input would be valuable.

I also like that his home town - EUFAULA, AL -- almost reads like BUFFALO, NY :blush: Not sure the weather will be similar. <_<

Dareus after the season ended said he would really want him to be a Bill. I believe he has made that known to the Bills for what it's worth. Don't remember the article could have been the Buffalo news.

So what say you guys?

I say the Bills would do well to add Upshaw. As I said last week on DraftTek when the computer picked Upshaw as BPA, "Well-rounded" seemed to be a derogatory label in high school, but it's what the Bills need at OLB/DE. Upshaw's Senior Bowl practices and game play highlighted his value, not only as a pass-rusher but also for setting the edge against the run. Sure, both Coples and Upshaw had 3 tackles, 2 for a loss, and 1 sack each in the Senior Bowl, but given the choice for the playoff-starved Bills, I'd opt for Upshaw's competitive blaze over Coples' flash and sizzle, particularly after Coples' underwhelming year. Upshaw is the sure thing if you're looking for 3-down aggression and 10 sacks per year. During Senior Bowl week, we saw Upshaw secure the edge well against this year's best, and all year we've seen the variety of pass rush moves (arm-over, arm-under, fake outside-go inside, swim, club, and good hand-fighting technique) that ice Upshaw's position in the Top 10. One Scout at the Senior Bowl said it best: "You play sic ’em defense, he’ll sic ’em.”

I don't want a "hybrid" OLB/DE player. I like Upshaw, but I'm very concern about either position he'd play in this defense.

OLB - is he going to have to cover Gronk with his lack of height and short arm length? Yeah, good luck with that.

Sorry, I just don't see him being the great pass rusher that they are looking for.

In Round 2 (after taking Upshaw in the first to secure the edge and play next to his Tide teammate Dareus), I'm hoping for a sideline to sideline OLB with speed and clout. My three are:

Vinny Curry---if he's still there, and we're projecting he will be, but this is pre-combine

Ronnell Lewis---hits like a ton of bricks. Oklahoma DE would be a OLB43

Travis Lewis

What?! you're nuts, Ingram over Coples all day. I'll take a guy who is just as productive and doesn't need a coach up his butt to motivate him.

Did you watch him play? Every time I saw him I was hoping he would be great and all I saw was half assed effort. No Thanks.

I say the Bills would do well to add Upshaw. As I said last week on DraftTek when the computer picked Upshaw as BPA, "Well-rounded" seemed to be a derogatory label in high school, but it's what the Bills need at OLB/DE. Upshaw's Senior Bowl practices and game play highlighted his value, not only as a pass-rusher but also for setting the edge against the run. Sure, both Coples and Upshaw had 3 tackles, 2 for a loss, and 1 sack each in the Senior Bowl, but given the choice for the playoff-starved Bills, I'd opt for Upshaw's competitive blaze over Coples' flash and sizzle, particularly after Coples' underwhelming year. Upshaw is the sure thing if you're looking for 3-down aggression and 10 sacks per year. During Senior Bowl week, we saw Upshaw secure the edge well against this year's best, and all year we've seen the variety of pass rush moves (arm-over, arm-under, fake outside-go inside, swim, club, and good hand-fighting technique) that ice Upshaw's position in the Top 10. One Scout at the Senior Bowl said it best: "You play sic ’em defense, he’ll sic ’em.”

You make an excellent point in comparing Upshaw with Couples. There is not doubt that Couples can be a more dynamic player than Upshaw. But when it comes to being consistently competitive on all plays Upshaw is definitely going to be more dependable. I don't want to use a high draft pick on a player that I then have to worry about their consistent effort, especially when I know there is a plalyer available who you don't have to worry about over effort and preparation.

A long time ago during the Polian/Levy era the Bills were debating whether to draft the highly rated but more mercurial player, DT Jerome Brown, or to take LB Shane Conlan. When Polian brought up the issue to Levy and asked for his opinion Levy told him you need not ask which player is a better player but which player will make your team better. The Bills ended up drafting Conlan and the Eagles drafted Brown. Jerome Brown ended up getting killed in a tragic auto accident in which he was speeding. Shane Conlan ended up as an instrumental defensive player during the Bills' most successful era.

Let's not over think this pick. Take the more mature player who can be dependable right from the start.

Edited by JohnC

Despite his detracters Coples appears to be EXACTLY what we need. I'm not a huge fan of moving up or even discussing it due to a realistic lack of trade partners. If we could however throw in one of our 2 or 3 extra picks this year to move up just ahead of the Dolphins and Panthers to say where the Jaguars sit at 7 I would not be pissed one bit.

I would, 3 picks to move up 3 spots? for who? Coples :lol: :lol: :lol: you guys are on crack today there is no one I'd give up 3 picks for except Luck.

+1

You make an excellent point in comparing Upshaw with Couples. There is not doubt that Couples can be a more dynamic player than Upshaw. But when it comes to being consistently competitive on all plays Upshaw is definitely going to be more dependable. I don't want to use a high draft pick on a player that I then have to worry about their consistent effort, especially when I know there is a plalyer available who you don't have to worry about over effort and preparation.

A long time ago during the Polian/Levy era the Bills were debating whether to draft the highly rated but more mercurial player, DT Jerome Brown, or to take LB Shane Conlan. When Polian brought up the issue to Levy and asked for his opinion Levy told him you need not ask which player is a better player but which player will make your team better. The Bills ended up drafting Conlan and the Eagles drafted Brown. Jerome Brown ended up getting killed in a tragic auto accident in which he was speeding. Shane Conlan ended up as an instrumental defensive player during the Bills' most successful era.

Let's not over think this pick. Take the more mature player who can be dependable right from the start.

No offense to either Conlan or Brown but if we pick Brown (and actually hire at the same time a DC worth a damn who can see we have the most dominant 4-3 DE in the history of the game and instantaneously switch us to a 4-3 defense) we win one or two Super Bowls. I can't even begin to imagine the havoc Bruce Smith and Jerome Brown create playing next to each other in an aggressive 4-3 (with Talley and Biscuit at OLB). I defy you to tell me that team would not have won at least one Super Bowl.

No offense to either Conlan or Brown but if we pick Brown (and actually hire at the same time a DC worth a damn who can see we have the most dominant 4-3 DE in the history of the game and instantaneously switch us to a 4-3 defense) we win one or two Super Bowls. I can't even begin to imagine the havoc Bruce Smith and Jerome Brown create playing next to each other in an aggressive 4-3 (with Talley and Biscuit at OLB). I defy you to tell me that team would not have won at least one Super Bowl.

Yeah 43, there was no way in hell we were playing a 43 back then, there was no hybrib or anything like that and most teams were 34 back then.

That said I doubt he would have that much difference in winning SBs.

If we sign Mario Williams and if the top WR is not as good a projected football player as the top DE/OLB, you pick the WR? Need more than one DE. I'm happy to take a positional need when two players are a tossup in terms of evaluation, but very tired of the idea of taking a need that is an inferior player. Three reasons for BPA:

1) few rookies have enough of a year 1 impact to really fill a year 1 hole even when that hole is clear. The ones who do are usually a pretty good candidate for BPA anyway

2) Forgetting year 1 need, if you pick the less talented player, that pick will add less to your football team over the first five years, and over that period your team will have less total talent

3) Perceived need is often incorrect or not as crucially needed as people feel it is.

Cool! That means we have a shot at Dave Decastro! EXCELLENT RUN-BLOCKER. Let's get it done, FO! OFFENSE IS THE NEW DEFENSE!!!!!!

1)Dave DeCastro, OG Stanford

2)Whitney Mercilus, DE Illinois

3)Rishard Matthews, WR Nevada

4)Nate Potter, OT Boise State

5)Nick Provo, TE Syracuse

6)Don't Care.

7)Could give a crap.

The Bills need to target a guy who can get to the QB. Upshaw fits that bill. Solid smart move if they could land him.

Admittedly, I am not an NFL scout, but I have followed the draft for 20+ years. When I look at Upshaw, I don't see

a dynamite pass rusher. I see a try-hard guy whose main asset is tenacity and strength. He will be a fairly effective

bull-rusher, but he isn't going to remind anyone of Bruce Smith.

I would guess that he will be a 6-7 sack/year DE in the NFL who also plays the run pretty well. If he is to play

OLB in the 4-3, I see him as too unathletic and slow.

Would I be very unhappy with Upshaw at the 10th spot? No, not necessarily. I am just saying that he isn't going

to single-handedly improve the Bills' pass rush by an order of magnitude. BTW, I think Coples will be a better

pass rusher, but I don't think he will be a 12 sack/year guy, either.

Regarding Ingram, he looks like the quicker, faster athlete when compared to Upshaw and I think he'll be a bit

better pass rusher. However, I am not sure that he will be as good against the run as Upshaw will be. I don't

think he is a 4-3 OLB, either.

I don't know enough about Mercilus to comment, but I haven't seen him touted as a remote consideration as

high as the 10th pick.

Yeah 43, there was no way in hell we were playing a 43 back then, there was no hybrib or anything like that and most teams were 34 back then.

That said I doubt he would have that much difference in winning SBs.

Nope.

Assuming by "back then" you mean the superbowl years (early 1990's) there were a only a few teams using the 3-4 defense. In fact, other than Bills and Steelers, I'm hard-pressed to think of one. Maybe Niners or Broncs? I know the Giants used it back in '86 with LT, but they'd already switched to 4-3 by '91.

Isn't it pretty silly to do a mock draft about three months BEFORE the actual draft? So much changes as far as team personnel, coaches, not to mention players whose stock rises or drops during combines and workouts. I remember looking at Kiper/McShay's early draft picks last year and some of them dropped big time. Never understood why people got excited for them in February

yep. Not to say the info is bad or not credible but his mock is directly drawn from his rankings.

http://www.espnmedia...10/mcshay_todd/

quoted from the article

McShay is the director of college football scouting for ESPN Scouts Inc., where he has been evaluating prospects for the NFL Draft since 1998

Prior to joining ESPN, McShay worked full-time for "The War Room," (1999-2006), a start-up scouting publication created by former NFL scout Gary Horton. It soon became a crosscheck for 16 NFL scouting departments and a go-to-source of information for CBS and The Sporting News. ESPN purchased the business in 2006 and changed the name to Scouts Inc.

McShay isn't the only person involved in Scouts Inc.

I once saw a list of their scouts and there is a handful of them including Gary Horton, David Thorpe, Dean Dalton, Doug Kretz, Keith Kidd and others.

I understand and agree with your point but I don't agree with your example.

Had Jerome Brown played a full career, it's very likely that he would have made a much bigger splash than did Shane Conlan.

Even as it is now, there are probably a lot of informed NFL people who think Brown had a more significant career than Conlan.