Goodell to consider eliminating Pro Bowl

papazoid

What Goodell really wanted to say is this: We are taking a bath on commercial network time being sold because there is such little interest in this crap product we putout every pro bowl. We are getting hammered in profits. We need to find an alternative method of extracting fans dollars from their wallets in lieu of a pro bowl. It's really that simple.

Yep.

Yep what? Hammered in profits??? The NFL doesn't lose money on the Pro Bowl--it's already paid for in the V contracts. Like any TV show--even if no one watched, the league can't lose money. What are you two talking about?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I really didn't think that was the kind of football that we want to be demonstrating for our fans," Goodell said. "And you heard it from the fans. The fans were actively booing in the stands. They didn't like what they were seeing."

Goodell said something has to change.

"We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide," Goodell said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7542806/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-says-ceasing-pro-bowl-consideration

Eliminate it haven't watched it 20 years and players don't need to be taking extra hits.

just have them do a skills comp along with a 40 and a bench for reps.

Turn it into a "

" competition with NFL players. :devil: That or an eating contest.

PTR

There's only one way to salvage the Pro Bowl.

Turn it into "Battle of the Network/NFL Stars."

That's right. Tell me you wouldn't want to watch Aaron Rodgers throwing to Joyce Dewitt. Andy Dalton getting sacked by Gabe Kaplan. The Love Boat bartender making a pick 6. Kojak for the two-point conversion.

Everyone would watch it. Everyone. You would, too. Admit it.

How about the NFL all stars vs the CFL all stars? Shake things up a little, like in the NHL when they did North America vs the World in it's all star game. Sure, the NFL would murder the CFL, but maybe the CFL players would have more to prove and play harder, until one year there would finally be that huge upset where the CFL would finally beat the NFL (Kind of like when the AFL Jets beat the Colts in SB III), and a rivalry might begin. The only thing is that the NFL might not want to do that as it could make the NFL look bad if they lose. Still, it might make things more interesting than they currently are.

At the very least, it needs to be occur weeks, or months, after the Superbowl when we're all missing football and when we'd settle for half-ass play.

It's just plain stupid to have this game without the players playing in the Superbowl.

The format it's in is utterly pointless and unwatchable.

They should have a game called the toilet bowl where its the worst players in the NFL playing. would probably be much more interesting.

Been saying for years that besides the MLB where the all star game is somewhat representative of an actual game that the NFL, NHL, and NBA should get rid of their all star games. They should name players to all star teams but to play a joke of a game is pointless at this point.

At least the Bills would be well represented in the Toilet Bowl

I'm a hardcore fan but even I didn't watch more than 5 mins of the Pro Bowl. The little i did see i was kinda' glad DB's didn't lay out some WR's because they sure had the chance...and they just laid up and made easy arm tackles. It's too violent of a game to have a meaningless all star game. No one is going to hit hard and risk injuring themselves or another player. I do love the fact that they made it the week before the SB. I like that the SB is the LAST NFL action of the season. You can't make the Pro Bowl better. Just eliminate it, have a big awards show during SB week like they did this year and announce the All-Pro team then.

On another note, the NHL game is a bit of a joke too but I like the format of players picking whose on their team. No AFC vs NFC or East vs West. It's kinda' fun to see the guys mess around with the picking.

Just name All Pro's and not have the defenseless game

I wouldn't even name "All Pro's." The selections to the pro-bowl oftentimes are based purley on "name recognition" and not on what a player has actually done on the field. I'd scrap the entire thing. Or perhaps a game of backup FA's. They'd have something to play for.

I'm a hardcore fan but even I didn't watch more than 5 mins of the Pro Bowl. The little i did see i was kinda' glad DB's didn't lay out some WR's because they sure had the chance...and they just laid up and made easy arm tackles. It's too violent of a game to have a meaningless all star game. No one is going to hit hard and risk injuring themselves or another player. I do love the fact that they made it the week before the SB. I like that the SB is the LAST NFL action of the season. You can't make the Pro Bowl better. Just eliminate it, have a big awards show during SB week like they did this year and announce the All-Pro team then.

On another note, the NHL game is a bit of a joke too but I like the format of players picking whose on their team. No AFC vs NFC or East vs West. It's kinda' fun to see the guys mess around with the picking.

I'd get rid of the NHL one also. Same problems with selection as the NFL.

I don't watch the NHL game either for the same reason the NFL one sucks.

But the NHL skills competition the day before is well worth watching.

Find a way to make it matter. Play it 3/4 way through the year, the winning side gets some sort of advantage in the Superbowl or something.

Why does it need to 'matter'? You'd really want the actual season to be impacted in any way by a silly All Star game?

That's just the worst idea I've ever read here.

Conversely.....

They should have the wives of the Pro Bowl players play in slinky bikkinis.. NOW that would be soemthing to see.. :)

Tim-

+1

Get rid of the Pro Bowl and replace it with a 32 team bracket of "fan" team playoff games.

Each NFL team picks 11 fans (through tryout and by season ticket holders or some litmus test) to play flag football. Rules being you can't have played any college or pro ball or moonlighting in some forgotten Arena league. Just your average, marginally in shape guys that are fans of the game.

Coached by NFL coaches and or players of the select team, i.e the Buffalo fans are coached by Bills players or coaches.

Each game would have open betting. Winning bets go to the charity of team choice. If you're a good team, your charity would be making a lot of money as you climb the brackets.

Winning fan team gets free Super Bowl tickets, winning NFL coaches/players get some cash.

Winning "conference" team gets the coin toss in the Super Bowl.

Edited by dpberr

I like the idea of a skills contest.

RB's and WR's could run a 40 yard dash.

WR's catch balls for some tricky jugs machine.

QB's have to throw the ball accurately at targets.

maybe a leaping contest for WR's

OL and DL could see who can bench press the most weight or the most reps, squats, etc.

Then the guys would have real bragging rights.

I like the idea of a skills contest.

RB's and WR's could run a 40 yard dash.

WR's catch balls for some tricky jugs machine.

QB's have to throw the ball accurately at targets.

maybe a leaping contest for WR's

OL and DL could see who can bench press the most weight or the most reps, squats, etc.

Then the guys would have real bragging rights.

Kickers have to make a FG using an Arena League goalpost from increasing distance, until one is left.

Punters have to get the ball to land in garbage cans at various spots on the field.

Get rid of the Pro Bowl and replace it with a 32 team bracket of "fan" team playoff games.

Each NFL team picks 11 fans (through tryout and by season ticket holders or some litmus test) to play flag football. Rules being you can't have played any college or pro ball or moonlighting in some forgotten Arena league. Just your average, marginally in shape guys that are fans of the game.

Coached by NFL coaches and or players of the select team, i.e the Buffalo fans are coached by Bills players or coaches.

Each game would have open betting. Winning bets go to the charity of team choice. If you're a good team, your charity would be making a lot of money as you climb the brackets.

Winning fan team gets free Super Bowl tickets, winning NFL coaches/players get some cash.

Winning "conference" team gets the coin toss in the Super Bowl.

Not a bad idea, I just think that the logistics of pulling that off would be much more than it's worth. I like the creative thinking though.