Goodell to consider eliminating Pro Bowl

papazoid

"I really didn't think that was the kind of football that we want to be demonstrating for our fans," Goodell said. "And you heard it from the fans. The fans were actively booing in the stands. They didn't like what they were seeing."

Goodell said something has to change.

"We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide," Goodell said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7542806/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-says-ceasing-pro-bowl-consideration

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide," Goodell said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7542806/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-says-ceasing-pro-bowl-consideration

What Goodell really wanted to say is this: We are taking a bath on commercial network time being sold because there is such little interest in this crap product we putout every pro bowl. We are getting hammered in profits. We need to find an alternative method of extracting fans dollars from their wallets in lieu of a pro bowl. It's really that simple.

Just list players who make the All=Pro list or something. But yeah, a skills challenge or something, the game just doesn't work anymore.

I'm sure there could be soooome incentive that'd get guys to play.

The real issue is players risk for a meaningless game. Is it worth it. The debate shouldn't center on fan cheering, but if it makes sense for players to really participate.

The Pro Bowl has to exist, the NFL has been measuring players using that benchmark. I'd prefer something along the lines of a skills contest.

The game doens't have to exist. Name the players to the Pro Bowl Skills Competition Teams. Pay for performance, every participant is guaranteed $X. Win your skill get an extra $Y. Total up the winners by conference and award each winning conference representative $Z.

game is total garbage and should not exist. it was shocking how little effort they put into it. if the only reason it's needed is contract incentives, then just let the vote continue and reward players based on that.

or not- i really couldn't give 2 *****...all i know is what was on my television for those 5 minutes was a disgrace.

What Goodell really wanted to say is this: We are taking a bath on commercial network time being sold because there is such little interest in this crap product we putout every pro bowl. We are getting hammered in profits. We need to find an alternative method of extracting fans dollars from their wallets in lieu of a pro bowl. It's really that simple.

Yep.

no game....no skills competition.....no risking injury.

i would prefer an "awards" show similar to the ESPY's.....where all the true winners (no alternates) including those participating in the Super Bowl would be recognized. it should be held during the off week of the super bowl in the same city where all that media is already assembled. You could also announce all the AP MVP's, Offensive and Defensive players, rookies, coach, comeback player of the year awards, etc....

"I really didn't think that was the kind of football that we want to be demonstrating for our fans," Goodell said. "And you heard it from the fans. The fans were actively booing in the stands. They didn't like what they were seeing."

The Pro Bowl was on? Must have missed it ah shucks... How was it? Doesn't sound too good... How do you get boo'd in the Pro Bowl?