Goodell to consider eliminating Pro Bowl

papazoid

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pro Bowl has to exist, the NFL has been measuring players using that benchmark. I'd prefer something along the lines of a skills contest.

Can't anymore since the SB participants don't play anymore. Andy Dalton made the Pro Bowl. It has lost it's meaning.

My son, who is a member here, LeviF91, and I were discussing the Pro Bowl last week. His suggestion was to announce the Pro Bowl playerss as a Honor. Just like the Silver Slugger or Golden Glove winners in baseball. He said they should have a game after the Super Bowl which would be played by Free Agents. This would showcase available players for the teams and the fans. What do you think?

Pro bowl is a total joke - may as well have a flag football game.

There would be better hitting in a flag football game, all adults take it way too seriously

They could make it NFL all-stars vs. College all-stars, kind if like they did in the 1950's.

My son, who is a member here, LeviF91, and I were discussing the Pro Bowl last week. His suggestion was to announce the Pro Bowl playerss as a Honor. Just like the Silver Slugger or Golden Glove winners in baseball. He said they should have a game after the Super Bowl which would be played by Free Agents. This would showcase available players for the teams and the fans. What do you think?

The first part makes sense, as others have said. IMO, the FA thing doesn't work. FA have to worry about injuries more than anyone else. At a minimum, the top FA would never play, and without them, it would be a pointless game.

I give it some thought every year and I've never been able to come up with even a completely off the wall way of making the Pro Bowl game worth it. I agree with most in this thread; forget the game. Having lived in Hawaii for a while, I hope they can continue some sort of even there. Locals (including a large population of military personnel) really enjoy the events surrounding the game (charity events, Play60, golf, sand football, etc...) and I think a skills competition with money going to players choice of organization would be a good idea.

They should have a game called the toilet bowl where its the worst players in the NFL playing. would probably be much more interesting.

Been saying for years that besides the MLB where the all star game is somewhat representative of an actual game that the NFL, NHL, and NBA should get rid of their all star games. They should name players to all star teams but to play a joke of a game is pointless at this point.

The first part makes sense, as others have said. IMO, the FA thing doesn't work. FA have to worry about injuries more than anyone else. At a minimum, the top FA would never play, and without them, it would be a pointless game.

I give it some thought every year and I've never been able to come up with even a completely off the wall way of making the Pro Bowl game worth it. I agree with most in this thread; forget the game. Having lived in Hawaii for a while, I hope they can continue some sort of even there. Locals (including a large population of military personnel) really enjoy the events surrounding the game (charity events, Play60, golf, sand football, etc...) and I think a skills competition with money going to players choice of organization would be a good idea.

Word is hawaiis done for. I expect it in new Orleans next year

Let the selected Pro Bowl players run through the Combine drills.

That'll give the Combine numbers more meaning. Not much, but some.

A 30 year old coming off a 4 month season will never want those numbers matched up to a 22 year old that's been training for the event for months.

I will defend the pro bowl.

My wife's uncle--a Cleveland transplant--has lived in Hawaii for 30 years. For him and his buddies, the year revolves around the pro bowl. Based on his description, it is the single greatest tailgating experience. These guys don't otherwise get to see a live football game all year; it is a year of tailgating combined into 24 hours.

I would like to see them keep the pro bowl for this reason. The fans in Hawaii like the experience. The players and their families love going to Hawaii.

For the rest of us, I'm just going to continue to not watch it. But who cares? They couldn't make it different or better so that I'd watch it in any event.

They get college football, and the tailgating is great. But yes, the tailgating at the ProBowl is fun, but I think that would be the case whether there's a game or some other skills competition type event.

They get college football, and the tailgating is great. But yes, the tailgating at the ProBowl is fun, but I think that would be the case whether there's a game or some other skills competition type event.

Well, the states been at odds with the NFL. Recently I've heard rumblings working in new orleans to plan for it next year. You may want to eliminate Hawaii from what you think the event should look like

Well, the states been at odds with the NFL. Recently I've heard rumblings working in new orleans to plan for it next year. You may want to eliminate Hawaii from what you think the event should look like

That already happened and they went right back. Frankly I think the players prefer it.

I don't really care where they go, I just said it would be nice to keep it there as it's the state's only chance at an NFL atmosphere. I can guarantee one thing, the fans in Hawaii are far more appreciative of the players during their week in Hawaii than any current NFL city would be.

Well I started too watch the game but when the players were not even close too playing full speed I texted the NFL and turned it off. It was just terrible. I enjoyed the senior bowl on Saturday alot more. At least the seniors were playing full speed. Acually giving a very good job interview. Now I have too watch tonight as the Cheatriots* lose too the New Jersey Gaints. Than I'm looking forward too the end of April.

GO BILLS

The game doens't have to exist. Name the players to the Pro Bowl Skills Competition Teams. Pay for performance, every participant is guaranteed $X. Win your skill get an extra $Y. Total up the winners by conference and award each winning conference representative $Z.

I like this, still gives them incentive to participate.

That already happened and they went right back. Frankly I think the players prefer it.

That's what I've heard, is the players like getting a vacation in Hawaii on the NFLs dime.

I don't really care where they go, I just said it would be nice to keep it there as it's the state's only chance at an NFL atmosphere. I can guarantee one thing, the fans in Hawaii are far more appreciative of the players during their week in Hawaii than any current NFL city would be.

I've heard the state refuses to make as many concessions as the NFL wants at this point and has told them to take the game elsewhere. Could be a ploy for negotiations but I can 100% confirm the NFL has reached out to new orleans for next year.

Remember the governor mocking them last year with gay marriage or something bringing more money to the state? Yea, he's not happy with the NFL.

Edited by NoSaint

In the post-Super Bowl era, I would watch it because I wasn't ready for football to be done. When they moved it, I decided to record it, since I wasn't going to be around to watch it while it was playing live. As I found myself fast-forwarding through most of it, I finally came to terms with what my friends had been telling me for years: it's not a game. It's a joke.

Scrap it. I won't miss it.