Godell may just save the Bills afterall...

Jesus. The Bills weren't going anywhere in the first place. Can we stop beating the dead horse already?

The horse isn't dead yet. But when he is it will get real interesting real quick. Imagine if you were going to lay out 800 miliion or so to get into the NFL by picking up the Bills at the Estate sale.

You run numbers all kinds of different ways and NONE of them make any sense for any kind of ROI.

It is quickly decided that having spent that kind of money you need to get the team the hell out of here to make it fly. Of course your due diligence would have told you all of this anyway so its all bs. As has been mentioned previously unless you have some local with emotional ties a la Pegula the team is gone when the horse is dead. Think some whacko from LA who holds a press conference is really going to get accepted and keep them here? ha ha ha ha

No way Vegas gets a football team. It won't happen in the next 30 years. NFL hates Vegas. The town could and would support a team here but the NFL won't do it.. We have a better chance of landing a NBA team (I hate the NBA) This is a high school/college basketball town. I would love MLB or NHL also. Our ECHL team gets a ton of support so I think NHL would be a success.

Edited by billsfaninvgs

Expansion, especially internationally is the NFL's next move. Bflo will stay because it is the gateway to the Canadian market. Mexico City and London are good candidates for the future. Maybe even A German team after (the one other place NFL Europe was a success and that gives you 4 new teams TO, MC, LON, Hamburg which could make divisional play more even and acceptable) the NFL is a business that will have to expand. Closing out on old franchises is a thing of the past IMO as history is a big part of the story that they will be selling. I.E. Man U, Manchester is not a giant place but a rather smallish formally industrial Knob that has a history (and a very super rich owner). TV revenues make the story much more important than the actual place. Winning would help Bflo's cause lol.

Outside the boarders is the most sense-able way to go. Soccer is a great and fairly easy model to follow and at some point these greedy bastards are going to realize it (if they haven't already, which I think they have but they don't seem to agree on the best way to make the expansion happen, yet). As far as the talent being spread thin, yeah it would be. The QB issue could be solved by changing rules a bit though. They really need to expand the league in a few ways the NCAA is out molded and eventually will have to be changed to make a new structure. Little leagues internationally would be a great way to get the game a more international face. I have a ton of ideas for them, they should hire me :)

We act like a small market because our owner has said for the past 52 years that Buffalo is a small market and should be grateful that he brought a team to this 3rd tier region. This message has been leveraged with ever negation he has ever had. Let’s hope our next owner gets it!

No way Vegas gets a football team. It won't happen in the next 30 years. NFL hates Vegas. The town could and would support a team here but the NFL won't do it.. We have a better chance of landing a NBA team (I hate the NBA) This is a high school/college basketball town. I would love MLB or NHL also. Our ECHL team gets a ton of support so I think NHL would be a success.

If the Bills were to move Vegas would be where I would prefer them to go. It would be a great weekend getaway to catch a game... and maybe the bookies would hook us up a little bit :ph34r::devil:

Expansion, especially internationally is the NFL's next move. Bflo will stay because it is the gateway to the Canadian market. Mexico City and London are good candidates for the future. Maybe even A German team after (the one other place NFL Europe was a success and that gives you 4 new teams TO, MC, LON, Hamburg which could make divisional play more even and acceptable) the NFL is a business that will have to expand. Closing out on old franchises is a thing of the past IMO as history is a big part of the story that they will be selling. I.E. Man U, Manchester is not a giant place but a rather smallish formally industrial Knob that has a history (and a very super rich owner). TV revenues make the story much more important than the actual place. Winning would help Bflo's cause lol.

Outside the boarders is the most sense-able way to go. Soccer is a great and fairly easy model to follow and at some point these greedy bastards are going to realize it (if they haven't already, which I think they have but they don't seem to agree on the best way to make the expansion happen, yet). As far as the talent being spread thin, yeah it would be. The QB issue could be solved by changing rules a bit though. They really need to expand the league in a few ways the NCAA is out molded and eventually will have to be changed to make a new structure. Little leagues internationally would be a great way to get the game a more international face. I have a ton of ideas for them, they should hire me :)

following the soccer idea... I think expansion would be feasible without watering down the product if they did like European countries do and Have a Serie A and B. This way teams at the bottom would play for a chance to move up to the big boys division while the top series would guarantee good games each week. If this is done they would have much more ability to plant teams in these locales that they want and not damage the end product. Instead imo it would actually enrich it.

If the Bills were to move Vegas would be where I would prefer them to go. It would be a great weekend getaway to catch a game... and maybe the bookies would hook us up a little bit :ph34r::devil:

following the soccer idea... I think expansion would be feasible without watering down the product if they did like European countries do and Have a Serie A and B. This way teams at the bottom would play for a chance to move up to the big boys division while the top series would guarantee good games each week. If this is done they would have much more ability to plant teams in these locales that they want and not damage the end product. Instead imo it would actually enrich it.

Isn't the mere existence of a "B League" acknowledgement of a watered down talent pool? And what fans would continue to follow a perennial "Serie B" team that has little chance of moving up (Bills, Browns, Panthers, Jags, Fins, Raiders....)?

The reason the NFL is far more popular in this country than pro baseball, hockey and basketball (soccer is a joke) is because at the beginning of every season, after the draft, every team's fans think they have a chance to make the playoffs. If they are already "relegated", there is little to root for.

This absolutely will never happen in the NFL.

From what I understand, the real problem is that many of the owners would like to see the Bills moved to a larger market in order to increase profits for the entire league. Jerry Jones for instance. They want to maximize the shared profits. The owners also must approve any new owner, and might want an owner that wants to move the team.

A couple of things: First of all, Buffalo is actually one of the largest media markets in the country if you take Ontario into consideration. For some insane reason, the league pretends that Ontario is invisible, that televisions in Fort Erie, Hamilton, Toronto somehow can't pick up American broadcasts, that Canadians can't buy pizza, beer, cars and all the other crap that's advertised on an NFL game.

Second, the other teams don't share very much of each other's revenue, or at least not enough to make it worthwhile going through all the hassle of moving a team. If that were the case, it would make more sense to more the Jaguars, for example. A good Bills team almost guarantees 70,000 plus attendance.

Isn't the mere existence of a "B League" acknowledgement of a watered down talent pool? And what fans would continue to follow a perennial "Serie B" team that has little chance of moving up (Bills, Browns, Panthers, Jags, Fins, Raiders....)?

The reason the NFL is far more popular in this country than pro baseball, hockey and basketball (soccer is a joke) is because at the beginning of every season, after the draft, every team's fans think they have a chance to make the playoffs. If they are already "relegated", there is little to root for.

This absolutely will never happen in the NFL.

Of course it will never happen but I thought it was an interesting idea. However to question what fans would continue to follow a perennial serie B team is ignoring all of the fans who currently do this. When was the last time the Bills, Browns, Jags, Fins, had a chance at the super bowl? A realistic legitimate shot. The Bills haven't made the playoffs in 12 years and still continue to sell out games (early ones but still).

Fans follow crappy teams in all sports. I don't think any KC Royals or Pittsburgh Pirates fans have grand illusions of winning the world series nor will they be choosing a new team soon. Any city that had a team in it would be followed for the pure and simple fact that there is a team to follow.

I would like to see the market analysis that puts the bills at the bottom and because of their location. When I look at the Forbes list, for the most part the teams that were bad are at the bottom and were good at the top, with the exception of Dallas and Washington who seem to stay up top and green bay and pitsburgh who were middle of the pack during their superbowl run year.

My theory therefore is perhaps winning is a more significant revenue driver than location..,,

If you truly believe this you're completely delusional. Ignoring the fact this team has no real succession of ownership in place that has openly supported keeping the team in Buffalo won't change the fact that this franchise would be literally the easiest to relocate given the current stadium lease situation and the state of it's owner.

You're wrong. They are not moving this team out of WNY. Forget about all of the economics-There is much more to it, and in the end in balances out just fine for this franchise to remain for another 50 years. The "no Succession plan" is posturing. Top that with the fact there is significant money people behind keeping the team in place when it does sell-Bills ARE NOT leaving-They never were leaving.....

You are 100% correct that the Bills have the best fans in football. NO other team would sell as many tickets after so many years of futility. Unfortuniatly, there is much more too it (the financial matrix) than fan attendance at the stadiums.

Cleveland?

They didn't ever lose their team...oh wait....

I've been saying all along that they should expand to LA and not relocate franchises, because they add a market and not steal from another, albeit lesser, one. However it seemed like relocation was the way they were going since it would keep the evenness of 32 teams, in which case Jax and Oakland made sense.

A couple of things: First of all, Buffalo is actually one of the largest media markets in the country if you take Ontario into consideration. For some insane reason, the league pretends that Ontario is invisible, that televisions in Fort Erie, Hamilton, Toronto somehow can't pick up American broadcasts, that Canadians can't buy pizza, beer, cars and all the other crap that's advertised on an NFL game.

Second, the other teams don't share very much of each other's revenue, or at least not enough to make it worthwhile going through all the hassle of moving a team. If that were the case, it would make more sense to more the Jaguars, for example. A good Bills team almost guarantees 70,000 plus attendance.

It's not just about sharing the gate revenue, it's how much they can wrestle from the TV networks.

As far as the Bills "regional appeal", well, I am curious what their TV ratings are (I wish they would start winning to boost those numbers). If the NFL thinks they can do better somewhere else, and that they would likely still retain strong viewership in what is currently "the Buffalo Bills Region", they won't give a crap how you or anyone else wants to count heads.

The horse isn't dead yet. But when he is it will get real interesting real quick. Imagine if you were going to lay out 800 miliion or so to get into the NFL by picking up the Bills at the Estate sale.

You run numbers all kinds of different ways and NONE of them make any sense for any kind of ROI.

It is quickly decided that having spent that kind of money you need to get the team the hell out of here to make it fly. Of course your due diligence would have told you all of this anyway so its all bs. As has been mentioned previously unless you have some local with emotional ties a la Pegula the team is gone when the horse is dead. Think some whacko from LA who holds a press conference is really going to get accepted and keep them here? ha ha ha ha

Keep in mind if you run the numbers anywhere your ROI is pretty poor. If you go to LA (a place that has already lost 2 teams due to lack of interest) you have to lay out close to $800M and also over $1B for a stadium....likely a lot more for CA real estate, parking etc.... If you put down $500M cash you are still financing $1.5B not to mention relocation fee. So at 6% you are paying a good $100M in just interest a year....so all of your TV revenue essnetially goes just to interest and not even principal on your debt!

I really think people overestimate the ability of all of these other places to get a team and make money. They will be lucky to make $20M a year.....considered good for a sports franchise. People want to own them for the prestige, the love of the game etc....But those who think it is for ROI are sadly mistaken unless you are buying, making a little money and then plan on selling it in a few years and that is not what the NFL wants.

The NFL doesn't need 34 teams. Hell, you could cut a couple and have an even better league.

Same goes for the NBA, NHL and especially MLB. Too many teams as it is.

I agree with the last 3, but the NFL can add teams, dilute the quality, and still thrive. That's how the owners are looking at it.

It's not just about sharing the gate revenue, it's how much they can wrestle from the TV networks.

As far as the Bills "regional appeal", well, I am curious what their TV ratings are (I wish they would start winning to boost those numbers). If the NFL thinks they can do better somewhere else, and that they would likely still retain strong viewership in what is currently "the Buffalo Bills Region", they won't give a crap how you or anyone else wants to count heads.

Bills local TV ratings are typically either number one or number two in terms of the "share". So when the Bills play more households in the Buffalo area are watching them play than any other market.....it is typically either the Bills or Green Bay at number one/two.

I know the Buffalo region was number one for the NFL Draft this year as well!

And you're right the Bils region is huge. Go up and stay in Toronto and watch the Buffalo affiliates there....we're not as small as some like to say. Toronto is the number 5 market in North America but take Toronto out of the equation and say just Hamilton thru Rochester as the Bills market and there you have population of 3.5M people.....hardly a small population base.

Of course it will never happen but I thought it was an interesting idea. However to question what fans would continue to follow a perennial serie B team is ignoring all of the fans who currently do this. When was the last time the Bills, Browns, Jags, Fins, had a chance at the super bowl? A realistic legitimate shot. The Bills haven't made the playoffs in 12 years and still continue to sell out games (early ones but still).

Fans follow crappy teams in all sports. I don't think any KC Royals or Pittsburgh Pirates fans have grand illusions of winning the world series nor will they be choosing a new team soon. Any city that had a team in it would be followed for the pure and simple fact that there is a team to follow.

The fever was running very high here for the first half of the season.

Football is nothing like baseball. Every game is precious--there are only 16. Teams can get the playoffs with non-winning records. In baseball, you're 20 games back in july and it's over.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I think the reasonable # for size of the Buffalo market is about 3.5 million. You can't really include Toronto.

But I would say east part of Hamilton to half of Syracuse(Giants have the other half)is the 'Bills Market'.

That would still make it in the lower half of the league--but not right near the bottom.

I'd say it about 80/20 that the Bills stay.

Keep in mind if you run the numbers anywhere your ROI is pretty poor. If you go to LA (a place that has already lost 2 teams due to lack of interest) you have to lay out close to $800M and also over $1B for a stadium....likely a lot more for CA real estate, parking etc.... If you put down $500M cash you are still financing $1.5B not to mention relocation fee. So at 6% you are paying a good $100M in just interest a year....so all of your TV revenue essnetially goes just to interest and not even principal on your debt!

I really think people overestimate the ability of all of these other places to get a team and make money. They will be lucky to make $20M a year.....considered good for a sports franchise. People want to own them for the prestige, the love of the game etc....But those who think it is for ROI are sadly mistaken unless you are buying, making a little money and then plan on selling it in a few years and that is not what the NFL wants.

The problem with your scenario is that you are assuming this is a free standing stadium...it isn't...the entertainment company that is having the plans finalized for a new stadium is the same one that owns the Nokia arena, and if I'm not mistaken, the Staples Cemter...the stadium is going right in the same neighborhood along with shopping and other forms of revenue....that being said, I'm not a fan of this discussion because I think it typifies the kind of attitude that never moves our town forward...gloom and doom never gets us anywhere. Let's start enjoying our city and our teams, help improve our region, and when the time comes someone will try and step up...all we can do is have a positive attitude to turn this region around :thumbsup:

Bills local TV ratings are typically either number one or number two in terms of the "share". So when the Bills play more households in the Buffalo area are watching them play than any other market.....it is typically either the Bills or Green Bay at number one/two.

I know the Buffalo region was number one for the NFL Draft this year as well!

And you're right the Bils region is huge. Go up and stay in Toronto and watch the Buffalo affiliates there....we're not as small as some like to say. Toronto is the number 5 market in North America but take Toronto out of the equation and say just Hamilton thru Rochester as the Bills market and there you have population of 3.5M people.....hardly a small population base.

That's not the point. The point is, would the NFL lose many of those households if they left the area, is the area likely to lose more population, would another area provide MORE viewers, and do the other owners and the networks believe they will get higher overall ratings if the Bills moved. It's as much about perception as it is about statistics.

I already stated that I don't think they will move. But I also believe that there are many owners that would prefer they moved. We can start with Jerry Jones.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

my thoughts exactly. And besides there aren't enough good QB's for the current 32 teams!!!! how much more watered down do they want it to get?

Oh I think Goodell realizes he struck roster gold with the new rules/emphasis on protecting QB's and WR's.

It has opened up the path to success for a lot of sub-par QB's. Especially the guys who just couldn't stand up to the abuse. And there have always been a fair amount of those guys, talented passers on benches and early retired.

Look at the Bills. When Kelly was around he would get beaten to a pulp most seasons. If he got a concussion, he would be expected to play next week. Ryan Fitzmagic? He gets hit in the rib pads once and people are holding a candlelight vigil for his game. I mean, that's really all the abuse he took all year. I think he took more hits as Trent Edwards' backup.

Guys like Big Ben and Rodgers who were getting concussions every other week a few years back? They barely had a finger laid on them last year. You had what.....4 guys throw for over 5,000 yards???? These guys are going to play longer and better than ever and the rookies are going to come in and "defy the odds' by having first year success.

As the QB's go, so does the roster so I'm thinking roster expansion is back on the table.

I like your thinking Ray. You know what? I think there's a place for you in this organization when I get it. You're hired!

Wait a minute, what if some unsentimental unemotionally involved person like a Golisano gets it? It's ALL about ROI.

I think the "diluted talent" argument is weak. I don't think 2 more crappy teams would change the overall appeal of the league. As far as the "LA won't support a team" argument, attendance was more important when the teams left, and it could be argued that they didn't leave because of poor attendance, but for other reasons. What the NFL wants is the TV ratings from Southern California. They think they will get more viewers if they have a team/teams in LA.

I don't think the Bills will move, but neither of those arguments are likely to convince other owners to keep them in Buffalo.

The NFL already gets the TV ratings in LA- for the best games of each week

with a local team that would not sell out - games would be blacked out as they were when the raiders and rams played there -

so much for TV ratings

The league wants to continue using the threat of a move to LA to extort stadium deals from taxpayers in other cities

They don't actually want a team in LA

i think he's bluffing. Since Minnesota is already giving the vikings a stadium, and the Niners are getting a new one, the only one left who needs leverage is San Diego.

The league has hinted, and fans will agree, that adding teams would water down the quality of the rosters. There's already not enuf quarterbacks to go around. Also, with the concussion rules and with possible 18 game schedules, they may need to expand the size of existing rosters anyway.

Nope, they arent going to 34 teams. (caveat: Unless they plan to add one in London because zero usa owners want to move, then it might make sense to balance it out with an even number, by adding another usa team. Maybe.)

The Bucaneers want out of Tampa, bad. Either to LA (where half the heirs to the team live already) and they are also first in line to move a team to London if it ever happens, it won't, but they have already expressed interest.

Jax I have heard speculation that they would gladly go to LA (and prob should). Florida has too many teams already, and none of them do well. 3 NFL teams, plus college ball is king down there. People near Jacksonville are Gator fans, not Jags fans, Canes fans over Dolphish fans, etc. Plus there is Florida St, Central Flordia, hell I went to a South Florida game vs UConn last year on a Saturday and then the Bucs/Falcons game Sunday and there was maybe 15-20% more fans at the Bucs game.... they can barely compete with South Florida!?!?!

More teams is a bad idea, there aren't enough fans to go around already.

That's not the point. The point is, would the NFL lose many of those households if they left the area, is the area likely to lose more population, would another area provide MORE viewers, and do the other owners and the networks believe they will get higher overall ratings if the Bills moved. It's as much about perception as it is about statistics.

I already stated that I don't think they will move. But I also believe that there are many owners that would prefer they moved. We can start with Jerry Jones.

Link?

Oh I think Goodell realizes he struck roster gold with the new rules/emphasis on protecting QB's and WR's.

It has opened up the path to success for a lot of sub-par QB's. Especially the guys who just couldn't stand up to the abuse. And there have always been a fair amount of those guys, talented passers on benches and early retired.

Look at the Bills. When Kelly was around he would get beaten to a pulp most seasons. If he got a concussion, he would be expected to play next week. Ryan Fitzmagic? He gets hit in the rib pads once and people are holding a candlelight vigil for his game. I mean, that's really all the abuse he took all year. I think he took more hits as Trent Edwards' backup.

Guys like Big Ben and Rodgers who were getting concussions every other week a few years back? They barely had a finger laid on them last year. You had what.....4 guys throw for over 5,000 yards???? These guys are going to play longer and better than ever and the rookies are going to come in and "defy the odds' by having first year success.

As the QB's go, so does the roster so I'm thinking roster expansion is back on the table.

Can you name all of the sub-par QBs on benches for whom the "new rules on protecting QBs and WRs" have "opened up the path to success"?

And the "4 guys" who passed for over 5000 yards (there were 3) were three of the best QBs in the NFL.

The NFL already gets the TV ratings in LA- for the best games of each week

with a local team that would not sell out - games would be blacked out as they were when the raiders and rams played there -

so much for TV ratings

The league wants to continue using the threat of a move to LA to extort stadium deals from taxpayers in other cities

They don't actually want a team in LA

The blackouts appear to be on the way out (mainly because TV ratings have become more important than gate attendance). I realize that the league uses LA as leverage against cities, but LA isn't the only place the Bills could move. And what backs up a threat by a team to move, better than an example of a team moving? As in "if you don't give us what we want, we will move. And if you don't believe we will back that up, look what happened in Buffalo". Pretty good threat, no?

I already said I didn't think they would move, but dismissing the possibility seems unrealistic.As I said, the perceptions of any new owner, the other owners, and the TV networks are what matter. I think many perceive "the Buffalo Region" as a declining population, a place that will continue to watch NFL anyway, and a place that won't yield maximum returns. I don't think there is much support from other owners to keep the Bills in Buffalo , and that makes them more vulnerable to being moved by a new owner.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Link?

Which part do you want a link to? I mostly posed questions. Other than that, you want a link about Jerry Jones wanting the Bills to move? You can search that yourself, it was mentioned plenty during the union negotiations.

"Link?" What a ****.

WEO, you have been following the NFL closely enough to know about those rumors, without a link. Yes, I believe some "rumors", especially ones that make sense.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

No--see MLB and NHL.

Anyway, the QB is key. If there was so much NFL caliber talent at the position available, you wouldn't have seen guys like Curtis Painter, Caleb Hanie, Josh Mckown, Tyler Palko, John Beck and Tyler Thigpen as backups.

Exactly. Back when there were only 26-28 teams the league had stellar backup QBs like Gary Marangi, Dan Manucci and David Humm.

Link?

Can you name all of the sub-par QBs on benches for whom the "new rules on protecting QBs and WRs" have "opened up the path to success"?

And the "4 guys" who passed for over 5000 yards (there were 3) were three of the best QBs in the NFL.

You are technically correct about the amount of passers to hit 5K. But thou doth protest too much.

Eli Manning finished with 4933 yards which was the SIXTH HIGHEST SINGLE SEASON TOTAL in NFL history.

Aaron Rodgers finished 350 yards short of 5K after sitting out (healthy) the season finale. Otherwise he likely surpasses Eli and probably clears 5K himself. In his place, the "bench" QB Matt Flynn threw for 480 yards and 6 TD's that day.

Four of the top six highest single season passing yardage totals happened THIS SEASON!

Now, it is easier to put up good passing numbers.......as I said already........but you don't put up FIVE THOUSAND yards unless you are out there every week.

So, your point about the QB's on benches?

Who cares?

The starting QB is going to take those snaps now. They aren't going to be sitting out as often with concussions or other injuries related to contact while passing the ball.

And all that production this season was put up WITHOUT the longtime ironmen of the old, less passer friendly NFL....... Brett Favre and Peyton Manning..........taking any snaps in the NFL last year. Woe is the NFL for losing perhaps it's two most prolific passers of all time in the same season.... and yet somehow league-wide passing production goes UP?????

You think fragile former QB's like Chris Chandler and Chris Miller wish they were playing in today's NFL? There have been plenty of QB's who had the talent to succeed but their bodies couldn't take the pounding. Aaron Rogers and Matthew Stafford may very well have been too fragile to last in the old NFL. Today, they are 5K passers and nobody is fretting their future health.

Face it, young QB's like Cam Newton will come in and play well and stay in the lineup. There will be less busts at QB. Where as a guy like Drew Brees came into the league and labored for 4 seasons before he established himself, a lesser talent like Andy Dalton can come right in and have moderate success immediately.

A guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick, who would not have been starter material in the league 5 years ago, will be able to play well enough to look statistically average at least based on the numbers that QB's had put up in the previous 10 years.

I'm not saying the players are any different. But the game IS. It's just that it's easier to play the position AND to stay healhty now.

Basically, QB's in the NFL today are comparable to the sluggers in MLB during the steroid era. Except this is league mandated, legal and sustainable. The greats get GREATER and stay healthier. The average will put up above average numbers now. The rising tide of quarterback play will raise all ships........but having a great one will still separate the winners from the losers.

Edited by Dick Drawn

Jesus. The Bills weren't going anywhere in the first place. Can we stop beating the dead horse already?

If the high bidder wants to pay all the costs the move the team (new stadium, etc), the team will move. As long as I play by the leagues rules regarding stadium size, etc. if I pay $800 million for something, I will do what I damn well please with it.

When you combine the lowest ticket prices in the League, probably the fewest corporate sponsors/sponsorship opportunities and the fact that most of the shared revenue comes from TV and unshared revenue (which a new owner would covet) comes from said corporate sponsors/suites, unfortunately the factors you mentioned don't count for much. The team will likely only stay in Buffalo if the new owner has a tie to the region....

According to Forbes Magazine, the Bills are among the league's 10 most profitable teams. The data is part of the magazine's annual valuations of all NFL Franchises. Forbes ranks the Bills ninth, with an annual operating income of $40.9 million (that's after they pay the players). And it's more than the Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers, and New York Jets each make.

It's also more than triple what the Miami Dolphins or Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers take away.

So if the team sells for 750M and the new owner puts the typical 20% cash down (150m), the financing of the remaining 600m at 30 years 4.5% would be about $3M per month. This would give the owner about a 2% cash on cash return (better than the S&P did this year) and in 30 years he would own the franchise outright.

This does not account for the increase in revenue from a winning team, these are numbers based on having a losing team for a decade.

So I disagree with your comment on ticket prices and corporate revenue (shared or unshared) being a major factor. Financing cares only about the net operating income and whether or not my customers will consistently want my product. The Bills offer both.

The only reason this discussion is happening at all is because the economy of New York, primarily Western New York is in the tank and has been for over thirty years. There is a continuous brain drain from western New York and with it goes the entertainment dollar, not to mention Corporations can find much friendly locations to operate from. I love western New York and want the Bills to stay forever, however, the area remains in freefall. I for one agree with Tom Brady's comments about Hotels in the area - just another indicator of the poor situation. When do we say enough and start forcing elected officials to create a business friendly environment to not only keep the Bills - but bring back jobs and business!

According to Forbes Magazine, the Bills are among the league's 10 most profitable teams. The data is part of the magazine's annual valuations of all NFL Franchises. Forbes ranks the Bills ninth, with an annual operating income of $40.9 million (that's after they pay the players). And it's more than the Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers, and New York Jets each make.

It's also more than triple what the Miami Dolphins or Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers take away.

So if the team sells for 750M and the new owner puts the typical 20% cash down (150m), the financing of the remaining 600m at 30 years 4.5% would be about $3M per month. This would give the owner about a 2% cash on cash return (better than the S&P did this year) and in 30 years he would own the franchise outright.

This does not account for the increase in revenue from a winning team, these are numbers based on having a losing team for a decade.

So I disagree with your comment on ticket prices and corporate revenue (shared or unshared) being a major factor. Financing cares only about the net operating income and whether or not my customers will consistently want my product. The Bills offer both.

You are very correct, the Bills are very profitable despite being by some measures, the worst team in the league the past decade ( for instance, postseason appearances; zero)

My belief, and I think it is backed by a lot of salary data, is that Ralph plays the spending game one way or another. If he has a team that is close to winning a championship, he spends heavily to try to win. If not, he cuts corners and goes to those owners meetings with a smile because he is at least beating most teams at the cash register.

But back to your point......if the Bills actually started winning regularly......or even BETTER, if they were winning and also got their own young Peyton Manning-type franchise QB......the ability of the team to charge more for tickets, sell more luxury boxes, and earn more unshared revenue could increase dramatically.

I point to Indianapolis, where Peyton Manning basically got a stadium built in one of the most unlikely of NFL cities. I mean, if Manning hadn't appeared and the Colts went on a 12 year losing streak like the Bills, would Indy even have a team now? Not a chance, I say.

There is a lot of untapped earning AND franchise value increasing potential for this team right where it is.