Godell may just save the Bills afterall...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No--see MLB and NHL.

Anyway, the QB is key. If there was so much NFL caliber talent at the position available, you wouldn't have seen guys like Curtis Painter, Caleb Hanie, Josh Mckown, Tyler Palko, John Beck and Tyler Thigpen as backups.

So you take 32 teams and multiply that by their number of players now divide the total by 34...and you think you will notice a drop off in talent? What are you a Nfl head scout? :nana:

Nothing naive about it. We support our team just fine. You would be hard pressed to find a time when its fans supported and sold out the stadium for a team that loses ss much as we have in the past decade.

You are 100% correct that the Bills have the best fans in football. NO other team would sell as many tickets after so many years of futility. Unfortuniatly, there is much more too it (the financial matrix) than fan attendance at the stadiums.

From what I understand, the real problem is that many of the owners would like to see the Bills moved to a larger market in order to increase profits for the entire league. Jerry Jones for instance. They want to maximize the shared profits. The owners also must approve any new owner, and might want an owner that wants to move the team.

Plus our hotels suck. Ask Tom Brady.

PTR

interestingly phrased.. care to expand on that thought?

He may be correct. If you consider the Bills market to include Southern Ontario and East to Rocheter. That puts it at about 8 million people. Quite a sizable market. Just need to expand it further east and south in NYS to Syracuse. A big selling point is that you can drive 2 hrs and see a real NFL game. Heck, I live in Pittsburgh and have gotten some friends on the Bills bandwagon simply because you can get Bills tickets for a reasonable price, it's not a far drive, and the gameday experience is better than any other NFL stadium I've been to.

Plus our hotels suck. Ask Tom Brady.

PTR

hahahaha. Well said. I hope Pierre-Paul destroys him.

He may be correct. If you consider the Bills market to include Southern Ontario and East to Rocheter. That puts it at about 8 million people. Quite a sizable market. Just need to expand it further east and south in NYS to Syracuse. A big selling point is that you can drive 2 hrs and see a real NFL game. Heck, I live in Pittsburgh and have gotten some friends on the Bills bandwagon simply because you can get Bills tickets for a reasonable price, it's not a far drive, and the gameday experience is better than any other NFL stadium I've been to.

Youre right of course. I was just amused how such a small market becomes the 4th largest in the league by substituting Buffalo with Bills. Im not sure if the fact that Buffalo has to draw upon so many surrounding areas is a plus or minus in the eyes of the league.

Edited by Danny

Does Detroit get to include Windsor? Does Seattle get to include Southern British Columbia? Green Bay is always looked at as the smallest market meaning they don't even get to include Milwaukee. I will say that we draw quite a bit from Southern Ontario, but every team is regional to some extent. All of Kansas is Chiefs country and they play in Missouri. Let's call a spade a spade: Buffalo is still a small market team.

While it may just be talk, Godell said that if LA gets a stadium the league would expand to 34 teams instead of moving an existing franchise. While this does not guarantee the Bills aren't moved to Oklahoma City, San Antonio, or Las Vegas, it is encouraging.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34676017

Having 34 teams wouldn't make sense as far as dividing the amount of teams into divisions goes. Now if there was 36 teams and we changed it from 4 divisions per conference to 3 and in each division there were 6 teams instead of 4? Then that would add up... But then the whole system of making it to the playoffs would change and as a matter of fact I'm getting a headache thinking about it already so that's it from me...

I think the "diluted talent" argument is weak. I don't think 2 more crappy teams would change the overall appeal of the league. As far as the "LA won't support a team" argument, attendance was more important when the teams left, and it could be argued that they didn't leave because of poor attendance, but for other reasons. What the NFL wants is the TV ratings from Southern California. They think they will get more viewers if they have a team/teams in LA.

I don't think the Bills will move, but neither of those arguments are likely to convince other owners to keep them in Buffalo.

agree with this

i think he's bluffing. Since Minnesota is already giving the vikings a stadium, and the Niners are getting a new one, the only one left who needs leverage is San Diego.

The league has hinted, and fans will agree, that adding teams would water down the quality of the rosters. There's already not enuf quarterbacks to go around. Also, with the concussion rules and with possible 18 game schedules, they may need to expand the size of existing rosters anyway.

Nope, they arent going to 34 teams. (caveat: Unless they plan to add one in London because zero usa owners want to move, then it might make sense to balance it out with an even number, by adding another usa team. Maybe.)

Oakland moves

Does Detroit get to include Windsor? Does Seattle get to include Southern British Columbia? Green Bay is always looked at as the smallest market meaning they don't even get to include Milwaukee. I will say that we draw quite a bit from Southern Ontario, but every team is regional to some extent. All of Kansas is Chiefs country and they play in Missouri. Let's call a spade a spade: Buffalo is still a small market team.

this statement is FALSE !! ("buffalo is a small market team")

FACT: Buffalo is the 4th LARGEST NFL MARKET........

we are not a small market team.....at times the bills may act like it.....but they are actively, agressively and smartly pursuing the Toronto and Southern Ontario area which is clearly part of our market. i know, i know.... that there is currently a competitive disadvantage in that relationship (loss of crowd noise in games played in T.O.). but over time and when they start to win, even that will change. EMBRACE TORONTO....it is saving our franchise.

One franchise people seem to forget is a franchise that covered up almost the entire upper bowl of their stadium to lower the amount of tickets that have to be sold for a sellout. And they still don't sell out! That's right, the Jags. This franchise also seems to be irrelevant when it comes to exposure. I think they move before we do.

This could become a self fulfilling prophecy. If people don't want the team to move, they should quit starting rumors that it will. As of right now, there are no plans to move this team. Speculating in my opinion only increases the possibility as it prepares the market for the loss of their team. This kind of thing smacks of paranoia. Relax and enjoy your football team.

Adding a team in Toronto makes sense because you bring in a large city and all kinds of Canadian fans to the NFL. Other Canadian cities could be added in the future as well.

Orlando would be a Great NFL City if only they would build a new stadium that wasn't in the Ghetto.

L.A. - Yes they want a team in L.A. Maybe even 2. The NFL wants more teams in the West

How About Vegas, or is there too much room for "gambling and Mob issues?