Buffalo Bills Courting LB Courtney Upshaw and WR Marquis Maze

Sniper

watched the practice today. upshaw and couples looked pretty good. both ahead of ingram. but upshaw blew up a handfull of plays today that i saw and had multiple wins on 1-1 drills with different moves bullrush/rips/speed rushes. coples looked good too

watched the practice today. upshaw and couples looked pretty good. both ahead of ingram. but upshaw blew up a handfull of plays today that i saw and had multiple wins on 1-1 drills with different moves bullrush/rips/speed rushes. coples looked good too

guess we saw different practices then. Ingram got back to the passer every time in pass rush drills and upshaw only outside passed rushed and only got back there once, coples was 50/50.

Upshaw has been having GREAT practices and is stronger than most DE/OLBs. He is a Lamarr Woodley clone, and I've been matching up footage of both of them.

Look out for Buddy Nixon's podcasts/profiles for draft knowledge and how it matter to the Bills.

He had 9.5 sacks and the second most takles for loss in the country. How can you say that he can't rush the passer?

It's not as though he's completely incapable and he's a good all around type player, but his main strength isn't as a pass rusher & there are better pass rushers available in this draft class.

It's not as though he's completely incapable and he's a good all around type player, but his main strength isn't as a pass rusher & there are better pass rushers available in this draft class.

Agree. I do think he will be a great LB, and could rush the passer just fine out of the 3-4, but the Bills may not use that scheme. It's unknown how he would fare as a DE.

Personally I don't think this is a very impressive class of pass rushers overall, unfortunately for the Bills. Hopefully the Bills FO will do their homework and pick the guy that can help us the most. Whether that is Upshaw or someone else.

Maze is a less proven version of Roscoe Parrish...Pass....

There's so many great midget WRs.....

If and I mean big IF we go for a smallish receiver I would much prefer Ryan Broyles. He's projected as a mid round pick and was extremely productive for Oklahoma. That said Buddy has a history of drafting big receivers. Look at SD's wr draft picks and you will see they are mostly mid rounders with height.

I guess you don't appreciate Welker and have you seen Rainey, the receiver from Florida?

Welker plays with Brady. I am by no means saying he is not a talented receiver, but if he plays for the Bills he would be lucky to put up half the numbers he did with NE.

I never said that small receivers can't be good, but let's be honest, they rarely make anywhere near the impact that the big guys do... The bigger receivers can compensate for bad QB'ing to some extent, and make plays even when covered.

Yes, I know, Maze would likely be a late round pick so there is not much risk. I wouldn't be pissed if we took him in the 6th. My point was simply that I want to see the Bills get quality, big receivers.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

guess we saw different practices then. Ingram got back to the passer every time in pass rush drills and upshaw only outside passed rushed and only got back there once, coples was 50/50.

I will admit to only seeing the recap on the NFL channel and then of course you only see highlights. Ingram did look good, I did not think he looked better than Upshaw. Body type wise they are pretty close. When we evaluate player it is important to see strengths and weaknesses then as the follow up question ask, "Will this player be able to use his strength to overcome his weakness at the next level? Upshaw may not have super speed but he uses his core strength and balance to defeat his opposition. Couples is not exceptionally fast but he uses his length to gain leverage. The bills could wind up with Ingram because I have seen drafts where Couples and Upshaw are gone by 10. I have not seen any drafts where Ingram is gone at 10.

one thing not a lot of people know about coples is that UNC for some odd reason played him as a DT most of his career and he still ended up with good sack numbers. Being 6'6" 285 is a horrible build for an interior linemen and UNC made a horrible decision to play him as such. Whenever he lined up as a DE he destroyed OT's in no time. he has the perfect size and long arms to be a huge threat as a true DE

What I really want to know is how Upshaw would fare as a DE in a 4-3 scheme......

I am wondering if this would help him or hurt him.

Either way....you are getting a solid player

I know I sound like a broken record, but I think that Upshaw can turn into a John Abraham-type 43DE. They are about the same size, Upshaw an inch or two shorter, but just as heavy and strong.

He had 9.5 sacks and the second most takles for loss in the country. How can you say that he can't rush the passer?

Because Buffalo Barbarian has a HUGE, almost creepy man crush on Tannehill.

Adding these guys would be cool. Pass rusher to help out, and a KR and slot receiver to replace Roscoe. Bigger, hopefully more durable, for less money. Shrewd.

Would be great if it worked out that way and they both produced.

Yeah, that's what I want to see the Bills draft. Another hybrid LB/DE.

Why not?

I mean if he can play both positions at a high level.

It seems to me more teams are going to be running various fronts. The rules of the game now dictate that Defenses have got to out scheme Offenses, You have got to have flexible players that can play different positions.

Heck who would have thought you would have DL covering a TE or RB. It happens a lot in zone blitzes. This type of D was not around 20 years ago. Players are now so much faster for their size...it takes findinig a guy who can handle learning and reacting.