So, Bills won't buy remaining seats at 66% off

Beerball

This doesn't affect the 'outoftowners' like me, but what do you locals think?

How does Brandon's statement strike you?

It's not something that we're interested in participating in, because it devalues our product.

Isn't this the real reason?

Also, some owners just don't like the idea of artificial sellouts, which give fans the impression that non-sold-out games still will be televised.

link

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its even more pathetic that western ny as a whole with a population of roughly 2.5 million complains that the bills wont buy the remaining tickets...i want to watch the bills, so ill be at the game. I just find it hard to believe that our "fan base" had such a pessimistic view even at 5-2 that no one bought tickets to these games earlier in the year

anyone see the Cincinnati game at all? It was about 70% full. COntending team vs an inner-state rival.

NFL isnt quite as plush as they make everyone believe.

With high def tvs, red zone channel and the comfort of your own home there are too many reasons to not go to the game.

This one falls on the chin of Buffalonians and Buffaloians alone.

For the rest of the civilized world, a road trip weekend immediately following Thanksgiving is a tall order for a team that's now below .500, on a four game losing skid and on the outside looking in.

And that's not even accounting for the weather and, as someone already mentioned, the viewing experience you get at home or even in a bar.

Edited by The Big Cat

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect! :oops:

What's that Fredo? Actually I think he's more like Mr. Smithers from the Simpsons.

This one falls on the chin of Buffalonians and Buffaloians alone.

For the rest of the civilized world, a road trip weekend immediately following Thanksgiving is a tall order for a team that's now below .500, on a four game losing skid and on the outside looking in.

And that's not even accounting for the weather and, as someone already mentioned, the viewing experience you get at home or even in a bar.

So it's Buffalo fans' fault that they don't go, but then you list the reasons why they're probably not going? What's that supposed to mean?

But I'll be there regardless.

I think its even more pathetic that western ny as a whole with a population of roughly 2.5 million complains that the bills wont buy the remaining tickets...i want to watch the bills, so ill be at the game. I just find it hard to believe that our "fan base" had such a pessimistic view even at 5-2 that no one bought tickets to these games earlier in the year

Oh but if this game was to be played in Toronto the hue and cry would be deafening. How can rhey take away games from such loyal fans? :blink:

PTR

I don't understand the "So, the Bills won't buy..." title. The Bills aren't obligated to buy unsold tickets just so locals can sit home and watch the game for free on TV. As most know, the blackout rule is there just so that people don't avoid going to the game because they could otherwise watch it for free on TV.

I don't understand the "So, the Bills won't buy..." title. The Bills aren't obligated to buy unsold tickets just so locals can sit home and watch the game for free on TV. As most know, the blackout rule is there just so that people don't avoid going to the game because they could otherwise watch it for free on TV.

What part of it confuses you? What part makes you think that the team is obligated in any fashion to purchase tickets?

What's that Fredo? Actually I think he's more like Mr. Smithers from the Simpsons.

So it's Buffalo fans' fault that they don't go, but then you list the reasons why they're probably not going? What's that supposed to mean?

But I'll be there regardless.

Don't get me wrong, it's a tough sell for the locals, too.

There are always a hundred things to do around the holidays. At this point in the season(lost 4 in a row, still can't play defense, offense is up and down), I will watch them if they are on TV, and if not, I will find something to keep me busy, other than sitting in the living room glued to my radio. :thumbdown:

How exactly does a team "buy" tickets from themselves?

Revenue from tickets gets split with the visiting team. So, the Bills can "buy" meaning pay the 34% of ticket revenue that goes to the visitor, and then distrbute the tickets how they see fit. Also, a local business, tv station etc can buy the tickets at that same 66% discount.

What does history teach us...umm, that the Bills tendency to self-destruct makes it prudent to not look to far ahead.

link

Lol it devalues the product... you know what else devalues the product: not bringing in talent, not keeping your best players, failing in the draft each and every year, not spending to the cap, bringing in mediocre coaches/gms... Not making the playoffs in over a decade..

What part of it confuses you? What part makes you think that the team is obligated in any fashion to purchase tickets?

I don't, as my reply indicated. And if you don't as well, I guess I misread the intentions behind your title.

Oh but if this game was to be played in Toronto the hue and cry would be deafening. How can rhey take away games from such loyal fans? :blink:

PTR

Sell a product/service that is worth buying and at a price that is affordable to your target market. That's how I have to operate my business to get sales. I can't just cry that the public is not being faithful to my poor company or issue veiled threat that I may relocate if they don't shape up. As we've heard many times... it's a business.

Sell a product/service that is worth buying and at a price that is affordable to your target market. That's how I have to operate my business to get sales. I can't just cry that the public is not being faithful to my poor company or issue veiled threat that I may relocate if they don't shape up. As we've heard many times... it's a business.

You can't compare your business to the NFL. No way, no how.

So I should abort plans to toodle around in my xenon-powered sub-marine helicopter, hurling free diamond-studded caviar unto the Chippewa bar-goers below?

I was told that was the best way to promote my buy-a-mega-yacht-send-your-kid-to-a-Swiss-equestrian-summer-camp-for-half-off business...

Oh well. Newspaper industry it is. That's where the money is, and always will be.

Lol it devalues the product... you know what else devalues the product: not bringing in talent, not keeping your best players, failing in the draft each and every year, not spending to the cap, bringing in mediocre coaches/gms... Not making the playoffs in over a decade..

This x1,000

So true. Say what you want about us as fans at times like this, but honestly, how much more of this can we go through? You'd figure at some point in the past 10+ years that we'd even get lucky and fall into something that would gives us some much needed hope and excitement. The first half of this season was fun, no doubt, but weren't we all waiting for the bottom to drop out at some point?

Life of a Buffalo fan...

So why do you care what they do if it's such a business?

PTR

link

It's not something that we're interested in participating in, because it devalues our product

after 12 years of meaningless games come every December, how much more devalued can you get, really? In no way, shape or form are the Bill obligated morally or contractually to purchase out tickets.....

But you have to think come next season, NFC WEST and AFC SOUTH, how many games will Buffalo residents be willing to purchase? The Divisional games for sure, but next year could be ugly.

I can't help but think of gurgling sounds around a drain next year...

PTR

If this game was played in Toronto there would be a lot more empty Canadian seats. Just to remind you the Toronto group gave away a lot of very discounted and also free tickets so the stadium wouldn't look too embarrassingly vacant for those up north games. What you don't realize is that a lack of demand is mostly due the poor product. A generation of organizational ineptitude has a dampening affect.

Edited by JohnC

after 12 years of meaningless games come every December, how much more devalued can you get, really? In no way, shape or form are the Bill obligated morally or contractually to purchase out tickets.....

But you have to think come next season, NFC WEST and AFC SOUTH, how many games will Buffalo residents be willing to purchase? The Divisional games for sure, but next year could be ugly.

I can't help but think of gurgling sounds around a drain next year...

This logic doesn't follow.

On what planet?

Of those 8 games, only two teams present a clear and present threat as of this moment in time: Houston and San Fran. And even both of those teams are very, very beatable.

The tenor of the article (not to mention the phrasing of the thread title ;) ) makes it sound like the Bills should just cough up a few hundred grand to help out the locals who won't purchase tickets the game. Can't say I'd write that check either if I owned the team.

Brandon's statement is just marketing fluff that really shouldn't be analyzed for meaning. What he really means is "!@#$ off and go buy a ticket if you want to see the game so badly".

This logic doesn't follow.

On what planet?

Of those 8 games, only two teams present a clear and present threat as of this moment in time: Houston and San Fran. And even both of those teams are very, very beatable.

I think he means from a standpoint of ticket sales, not many people want to pay to see the teams from that division nor do their fanbases travel well. But if those teams present a weak schedule a winning season could change that.

I think he means from a standpoint of ticket sales, not many people want to pay to see the teams from that division nor do their fanbases travel well. But if those teams present a weak schedule a winning season could change that.

Precisely why the logic doesn't follow. Conditions next year are most favorable...