So, Bills won't buy remaining seats at 66% off

Beerball

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanna play along!

Is your business a non-profit comprised of 32 entities who engage in friendly competition designed to enhance your market share against other 30some-entity conglomerates?

Is the NFL a business that sells a product to consumers? If so, it can be compared with any other business on those grounds. The rules of the marketplace still apply to them. Sell a good product at a fair price and there's an excellent chance you will be successful. The fact that they can't sell tickets speaks for itself. They need to change the product, it's price or both. They're trying to reduce the price but that's not working so I suggest looking at the former. Crying about the fans obligation is not a good sales technique.

Is the NFL a business that sells a product to consumers? If so, it can be compared with any other business on those grounds. The rules of the marketplace still apply to them. Sell a good product at a fair price and there's an excellent chance you will be successful. The fact that they can't sell tickets speaks for itself. They need to change the product, it's price or both. They're trying to reduce the price but that's not working so I suggest looking at the former. Crying about the fans obligation is not a good sales technique.

You are confusing the NFL with the Buffalo Bills. Someone has to be the good team and someone else the crappy team in the NFL and everyone understands that the crappy team won't sell as many tickets as the good team. I'm pretty sure tickets for the Packers, Saints, Pats and Cowboys are selling just fine.

You are confusing the NFL with the Buffalo Bills. Someone has to be the good team and someone else the crappy team in the NFL and everyone understands that the crappy team won't sell as many tickets as the good team. I'm pretty sure tickets for the Packers, Saints, Pats and Cowboys are selling just fine.

I guess that would be true if all teams split ALL revenues equally, but they don't so I think that the Bills and the Packers are competing for sales to some extent. A bad team sells less merchandise, has fewer gate receipts, etc. so if the Bills are a winner they will theoretically generate more revenue than if they are a loser. They may have to spend more as well but as with any business it's a calculation of return on investment.

How do you explain the non-sellouts/blackouts during the SuperBowl years?

Poor stadium in a poor location, IMO. I think a new modern stadium that is comfortable, family friendly and centrally located would help significantly.

Edited by vincec

Weather is a big variable, as well. Most over 50 just say.. um.. no. Add the potential for really cold weather to the drunks and general mayhem and most just leave it to the 20-somethings

I agree completely. I know that times are tough all around, but instead of dumping more money into a 40 year old stadium why not try to build a coalition to build a new one? and maybe tie the Bills here through some public contribution in the process?

Edited by vincec

So it's Buffalo fans' fault that they don't go, but then you list the reasons why they're probably not going? What's that supposed to mean?

But I'll be there regardless.

Not all Buffalo fans; just Buffalonians. For the reasons listed in his post, a lot of out-of-town Buffalo fans likely wouldn't make the trip on this particular weekend. It makes sense.

Miami buys out there stadium so it is on TV. So do other teams.

What are the chances someone (Bills/Corporation) buys out any tickets for the other 2 games?

Good luck Bills office and scalpers selling any tickets when you can go on stub hub and buy $10 tickets.

I was going to go to the Miami game (if they won against the Jets) but I just picked up tickets for the Sabres/Red Wings game this Friday. Sorry better team (I think) and better atmosphere and better traffic coming from ROC and all.

Get a better product and people will be back.

In Green Bay or New York? Never happen.

Oh, you mean Buffalo. Well, that's because Buffalo is a poor market and that's why the Bills are always on the list of teams that might be moved. Why is Buffalo a poor market? Permanently depressed economy, a stadium that is too big for such a small city, and specific to the SB years -- fan fatigue from not winning a championship.

In Green Bay or New York? Never happen.

Oh, you mean Buffalo. Well, that's because Buffalo is a poor market and that's why the Bills are always on the list of teams that might be moved. Why is Buffalo a poor market? Permanently depressed economy, a stadium that is too big for such a small city, and specific to the SB years -- fan fatigue from not winning a championship.

Yeah, I can see how fatiguing it is to win the AFC four years in a row. <_< Not like now.

This is how deluded we have become. We tell ourselves what great fans we are but we stopped selling out home playoff games after we lost the 2nd Super Bowl. Oh but I'm sure we had good reason not to go.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Honestly they should just move to another town already and be done with it. The snail-slow decline (both of WNY and the team) is depressing. Go somewhere else and prosper (just as many of us have done in our lives). I'll still watch football, mostly from my couch, and who knows, it just might be enjoyable again. Great that I'll always have the memories of the late 80s and early 90s, just sorry my kids won't experience that with the Bills.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

One example:

At the last regular season game vs. the Jets, and playoffs already assured for both teams, home field advantage in post season was at stake.

Game day weather: chill factor - 28 degrees below zero.

We made a game day decision to go to the game, froze our asses off, the Bills won.

The game was not sold out and not televised locally.

Another example:

Bills get their butts kicked by the Oilers in the final regular season game.

The following week is the wild-card round in Buffalo in polar conditions.

The opponent is again the Oilers and most fans expect the worst.

Jim Kelly is hurt, so the backup QB will start.

We stayed home and watched the game on satellite at a bar (they had not stopped that practice yet)

The game was not sold out and not televised locally.

(that was the miracle comeback game, btw)

I guess I am local, since the Ralph is 80 miles away.

To enjoy myself, it pretty much uses up my whole day.

For reasons justifiable to me, I cannot go every game.

Does this make me a bad fan?

I know some of you think it does.

I do not expect Ralph to eat 12,000+ tickets.

I know, let's 'occupy' the parking lots with banners and signs.

Aren't we entitled to see every game from our couch? :w00t:

Edited by Rockpile

I think its even more pathetic that western ny as a whole with a population of roughly 2.5 million complains that the bills wont buy the remaining tickets...i want to watch the bills, so ill be at the game. I just find it hard to believe that our "fan base" had such a pessimistic view even at 5-2 that no one bought tickets to these games earlier in the year

Well, we were right..... right?

I guess, problem is its almost like too many are enjoying being right about it now that they can say "told you so"...maybe your not one of them but i know of many who are. Truthfully im glad that for 7 or 8 weeks i got to enjoy that ride, it was definately better than the alternative and im still excited to go to the game this weekend. Its the Bills its the NFL its an experience no matter what and maybe i'm too loyal but to all of the "the bills will never change until we stop going to the games" people, maybe the worst possible thing will happen.....maybe we'll stop going to the games and give someone further reason to move us away....at least when the browns moved they could say they were selling out all of their games....

I have to put the mandatory whining post whenever this topic comes up...

I live in the Utica area. We get our CBS station on the cable from Syracuse.

Supposedly the Syracuse station can reach the black-out zone (I doubt it).

I am 200 Miles from the Ralph, and I am blacked out. :angry:

Going to a game occasionally makes sense for me, but not too often.

I think its even more pathetic that western ny as a whole with a population of roughly 2.5 million complains that the bills wont buy the remaining tickets...i want to watch the bills, so ill be at the game. I just find it hard to believe that our "fan base" had such a pessimistic view even at 5-2 that no one bought tickets to these games earlier in the year

Bills!Win!, I think "being right" is kinda besides the point.

Waiting to buy your tickets to see how good the team is gonna be is analogous to hedging your bets… which is basically what a fair-weather fan does.

The most dyed-in-wool, die-hard fan picks a game on the schedule regardless of extenuating circumstances and attends.

I guess, problem is its almost like too many are enjoying being right about it now that they can say "told you so"...maybe your not one of them but i know of many who are. Truthfully im glad that for 7 or 8 weeks i got to enjoy that ride, it was definately better than the alternative and im still excited to go to the game this weekend. Its the Bills its the NFL its an experience no matter what and maybe i'm too loyal but to all of the "the bills will never change until we stop going to the games" people, maybe the worst possible thing will happen.....maybe we'll stop going to the games and give someone further reason to move us away....at least when the browns moved they could say they were selling out all of their games....

I commend your spirit and attitude. There are compelling reasons on either side of this argument but on an emotional level, the way you feel is also the way I feel.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan