Fred Jackson

QB Bills

I'm a huge fan of Freddie and perhaps not the most objective viewer, but I think he's easily a top 10 back in the league and maybe even top 5. He just has such a unique way of playing. He never seems to make a mistake. I think breakaway speed is a bit overrated for a running back. Those 60+ yard runs are too rare. It's the 1-2 yard runs that he get 5-6 on that matter and he does that often and as good as anyone.

I'm a huge fan of Freddie and perhaps not the most objective viewer, but I think he's easily a top 10 back in the league and maybe even top 5. He just has such a unique way of playing. He never seems to make a mistake. I think breakaway speed is a bit overrated for a running back. Those 60+ yard runs are too rare. It's the 1-2 yard runs that he get 5-6 on that matter and he does that often and as good as anyone.

i don't think that the networks would put him in the top ten, but he deserves to be there. the pure WILL of this man is inspirational. he never lets the first man get him down and seldom the second or third. he has great vision and patience, runs with his pads low and never lets a defender square up on him. and he is also a quality human being, another guy i am very happy is on my team!

Agreed, love watching him run. I'm not really down on CJ as some are (and that TD run was nice) because honestly I'd rather watch Freddy.

That third down and two play that he made was one of the best three yard runs I have ever seen. Fred is the man! He would not be denied. Three Chief's had him and he still made it. He delivered a bouquet of Flower's across the first down marker:)

I don't think Spiller's as bad as a lot of people say. I place some blame on the run blocking. Everyone seems to think that the blocking is okay because FJ does well with it. I think FJ actually makes them look good because he is that talented.

That third down and two play that he made was one of the best three yard runs I have ever seen. Fred is the man! He would not be denied. Three Chief's had him and he still made it. He delivered a bouquet of Flower's across the first down marker:)

That was unreal. Was kind of crappy that they just ran the clock out after that.

Freddy was amazing today. If he was on a marquee team he would be a star in this league. He's better than almost anyone thinks he is. He always falls forward. He gets a three yard run when he should get one. It's amazing. What a game he had. The Bills are real stupid if they just don't take care of him. It's foolish.

If he was on the Steelers or Colts or Chargers or Saints, or pretty much any team with a good offense, he would be a stud.

Spiller and White looked very average against the same Defense.

It was not the same defense. The Chiefs had eight in the box when White was in during garbage time (with the backup OL as well). Spiller also seemed to see more stacked fronts/run blitzes than when Jackson was in. I'd like to see a few swing passes to CJ to keep the defense honest rather than crouding the line.

That said, Fred's run-after-contact was outstanding today...

That play was amazing. And you're right. Sometimes a two yard run is way better than a ten yard run. Freddy was fantastic in this game. It's remarkable how he always falls forward.

It was not the same defense. The Chiefs had eight in the box when White was in during garbage time (with the backup OL as well). Spiller also seemed to see more stacked fronts/run blitzes than when Jackson was in. I'd like to see a few swing passes to CJ to keep the defense honest rather than crouding the line.

That said, Fred's run-after-contact was outstanding today...

Right, the Chief's gameplan was to shut down everyone but Fred :thumbsup:

He good. He bad good.

Freddy was amazing today. If he was on a marquee team he would be a star in this league. He's better than almost anyone thinks he is. He always falls forward. He gets a three yard run when he should get one. It's amazing. What a game he had. The Bills are real stupid if they just don't take care of him. It's foolish.

If he was on the Steelers or Colts or Chargers or Saints, or pretty much any team with a good offense, he would be a stud.

Pssssst... He is a stud.

I was trying to figure it out watching him today. Not the speediest guy like a Chris Johnson. Not the biggest or most bruising back like a Steve Jackson. Not the shiftiest like his teammate CJ. A low cener of gravity but not a bowling ball like Jones-Drew. He follows his blocks as well as anybody, and keeps his legs pumping to finish runs with tremendous lower leg strength,even though its not always that noticeable. Very good balance to bounce off defenders and sustain runs in a crowd (unlike CJ). There is nothing particularly outstanding about his game, just a very nice combination of ALL of the above in sufficent quantities.

Right, the Chief's gameplan was to shut down everyone but Fred :thumbsup:

Did you really think the Bills were going to throw at the end of the game when Thigpen was in there? Neither did KC.

Or that run blitzing Spiller was a good tactic based on down and distance, but maybe not so smart when a cutback runner like Jackson was in the game?

Did you really think the Bills were going to throw at the end of the game when Thigpen was in there? Neither did KC.

Or that run blitzing Spiller was a good tactic based on down and distance, but maybe not so smart when a cutback runner like Jackson was in the game?

I'm just sayin that Fred gets more out of every run, compared with Spiller and White. I know the Chiefs were playing the run late in the 4th, but Fred runs through people and always falls fwd for extra yardage.

Everything he lacks in size and speed, he makes up for in vision and body control. Watch how he hits the correct hole and positions his shoulders and body correctly either to slip through or deliver a hit and keep his momentum moving forward.

Can't teach size and speed, but I'm not sure you can teach vision either. Lynch had zero vision and just ran straight into a tackler or more than not his own blocker. I am worried Spiller doesn't have it as well. Too be honest haven't seen enough touches to know yet.

I know we are all giving somewhat biased opinions, but is there a better back in the league at making the first guy miss? Seriously unless the play is completely blown up, Fred always makes the first tackler miss. Agree with all the posters who say that if he was on one of the "contenders" he would be a household name. I wish we would pay the man and make him happy but I have nightmares of him in a Pats uni terrorizing our D for years to come. *shudder*.....He is unquestionably the heart of the offense and I just wish he would get a little more respect in terms of $ and national recognition. Spiller may be able to break one at any time but he has light years to go to get in Freddy's league.

As a complete football player - blocking, running, recieving, leadership, work ethic, etc - Freddie is a top 5 back IMO, no question.

As far as what gets the national media wet, he's not even close. But that's part of what makes him a great Bill! We're lucky to have him.

That was unreal. Was kind of crappy that they just ran the clock out after that.

But, that's what made that run so good. We needed a first down, and everyone knew it, so we could run out the clock and take a nice lead into the locker room.

IMO, Fred is the best back we've had since Thurman and reminds me of the Thurmanator all the time. Put Fred on our 90's team, and I say there's a very real possibility that he's in the HOF today.

That might have been my favorite play of the game. As it turned out it wasn't the difference maker in a lopsided final score. But it's the sort of unheralded play that can quietly decides games in the NFL because it could've easily saved us 3 points. If he doesn't break those tackles KC gets the ball back in good field position and only needs a couple 1st downs vs a likely prevent defense. And for all anybody knew at the time, that could've been the difference in the game. Teams with Manning and Brady always get/save those extra 3pts at the end of the half, where as the Bills rarely do.

Jackson looks huge next to Spiller. With the power he ran with today If I did not know better I would guess him at 220.

Freddy = Best back we've had since...(fill in the blank)

If you want to count single seasons I suppose you could say Antawoin '98 or Henry '02 or even McGahee '04. But in terms of consistency and actually performing for more than just one year, he is the best since Thurman.

Edited by BuffOrange

I'm not right about many things but I've liked Freddie since he's been on the team. He plays hard. He runs, blocks, catches. And except for that recent outburst, he doesn't complain.

His yards after contact have been amongst the very best in the league for the past couple years. And he's piled up some huge all-purpose yards too. Even though few people outside Buffalo seem to know him very well, you could make an argument that he's Top 10. I was happy when we got rid of Lynch because I thought that would mean more playing time for Freddy who's a better back.

Everything he lacks in size and speed, he makes up for in vision and body control. Watch how he hits the correct hole and positions his shoulders and body correctly either to slip through or deliver a hit and keep his momentum moving forward.

Can't teach size and speed, but I'm not sure you can teach vision either. Lynch had zero vision and just ran straight into a tackler or more than not his own blocker. I am worried Spiller doesn't have it as well. Too be honest haven't seen enough touches to know yet.

Not sure what you are talking about, "lacks in size"? because FJ is a decent sized back.

He is listed everywhere at 6'1" 215lbs, pretty good size for a running back.

He is not the fastest guy in the world, but he's not slow either, and he sure isn't small.

Upper middle tier knocking on top 10. The guy is a legit good NFL RB although I think he needs a better body of work to be considered a top 10 guy. If he puts up a pro-bowl season this year (1200+ yards greater than 4.2 ypc) I think you have a case for top 10 RB. Without looking at each teams RB's I would rank him somewhere in the 14-12 range.

Edited by billsfan89