Bills Talking Contract Extension with Parrish

Arkady Renko

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask a question to all of you who are griping about this?

As long as it's a reasonable contract with language that protects the Bills in the case of injury (which I'm sure they'd insist on), and it doesn't preclude them from spending money in other areas (it won't - that's a Bills Fan Myth), why do you freaking care? It's not like it's your money.

Coach, I can only answer for myself.

I was pissed the day he was drafted. I viewed him a another TD ego pick. He was a situational player on whom the Bills used their first selection of a draft (Round 2, but their first draft selection) and the team was, as always, weak up front. Since he was drafted he, despite so-so production, has survived 4 GMs (if you want to count the jackass Brandon).

Now, you are correct. It certainly isn't my money. Because if it was, I would have let him play out his contract, and taken the bonus money he surely will get and increased my offer to Clabo. We just spent 15 or 16 million dollars on a gadget player, who by the way I predict will be a much better and more productive player than Parrish. Why on earth are they giving Parrish yet another extension given team needs?

The JS thread about fans being divided is interesting. I don't think that we are. We all want the Bills to win, and I have never seen conflict at tailgates between TBD posters. On the contrary, we seem to get along quite well and I have made personal friends from this board.

But imo the thing is, how can one look at moves like this and not see what at the very least appears to be more of the same idiocy? Isn't he the player who was walking out of his apartment, saw snow, and ran back inside? He probably weighs less than Uma Thurman. Should he really be a player around whom we build?

I was pissed the day he was drafted. I viewed him a another TD ego pick. He was a situational player on whom the Bills used their first selection of a draft (Round 2, but their first draft selection) and the team was, as always, weak up front. Since he was drafted he, despite so-so production, has survived 4 GMs (if you want to count the jackass Brandon).

Now, you are correct. It certainly isn't my money. Because if it was, I would have let him play out his contract, and taken the bonus money he surely will get and increased my offer to Clabo. We just spent 15 or 16 million dollars on a gadget player, who by the way I predict will be a much better and more productive player than Parrish. Why on earth are they giving Parrish yet another extension given team needs?

The JS thread about fans being divided is interesting. I don't think that we are. We all want the Bills to win, and I have never seen conflict at tailgates between TBD posters. On the contrary, we seem to get along quite well and I have made personal friends from this board.

But imo the thing is, how can one look at moves like this and not see what at the very least appears to be more of the same idiocy? Isn't he the player who was walking out of his apartment, saw snow, and ran back inside? He probably weighs less than Uma Thurman. Should he really be a player around whom we build?

Bill, that's not really fair. Uma's trying to keep her weight problem a secret.

Why wouldn't the Bills want to see if Roscoe's 8 games of productivity (and health) were a fluke or not?

Because it will probably cost 4 times as much to extend Fitz as it will Roscoe. Maybe more depending on the contract.

You are missing the point. Teams started punting to the sidelines (to give hime less room) and higher shorter kicks (for the same reason).

They guy is a great punt returner and opposing teams did what they could to avoid him breaking open games.

Roscoe is a mediocre punt returner at this point--steadily declined after his "record year". In fact, now that he is the slot, I bet he doesn't want to return punts anymore.

Why wouldn't the Bills want to see if Roscoe's 8 games of productivity (and health) were a fluke or not?

I don't think anyone is saying "don't keep Roscoe". Just don't see why we have to extend him now when he hasn't seen a snap since Nov 7, 2010.

Can I ask you a question? Let's say Roscoe has a great September and then is injured and is out for a few more games, or goes on IR (there is a high probablility this happens). Would you extend him then? Would you look back and say "I'm glad we etended him in preseason?

His average dropped to 5.5 yards and he fair caught 13 balls. If he took 2 giant steps and laid down, he wouuld have had longer average return. Those aren't good numbers. DeSean Jackson and Josh Cribbs were still fielding a lot of punts.....

Anyway, Evans looked good going over the middle in the week 2 Balt game last week. At what point did he tell the coaching staff that he refused to go over the middle? Does he simply run a different route than the opne called in the huddle?

So just like you commonly do, you're hung up on draft spot, which is absolutely meaningless at this point. You want to get rid of roscoe because you're mad at where he was drafted. Ridiculous.

Roscoe is not a gadget player, no matter how many times you try to perpetuate this lie. He's our slot WR, and will be on the field for probably at least 60% of the snaps this season (given that NFL teams run 3 or more WR sets 60% of the time). He's worth extending.

According to you, any player drafted or signed that isn't 300 lbs is a "gadget" player.

And the legend of "Fred Jackson" continues to grow...

Dont get me wrong, I love Freddie, but looking at his production I fail to see these "special things" that have people believing he deserves to be first in line for a new contract (with 2 years remaining on his deal).

2010 927yds, 5 TDs, 2 RecTDs, 5 Fumbles

2009 1062 yds, 2 TDs, 2 RecTDs, 2 Fumbles

Thats about it...

If Roscoe is easily replaceable, Fred is even more so.

Stats... Eh.

Running behind one if the leagues worst line his entire career. Splitting carries with guys not as good as him. Watching him play doesn't make you think he deserves a raise? I think it's obvious. He deserves one.

Your points are well thought out on the notion of the best way way to build a team i.e. build from the lines. Where I disagree with you is that just because Parrish was on the roster before Gailey got here doesn't mean he can't be an asset. Do you want Gailey to get rid of everyone who was on the roster before he became the HC simply because he was acquired by a prior administration? Truth be told this regime is systematically getting rid of the Jauron/Levy/Donahoe mishap selections. Cutting him or not giving him a contract doesn't increase the franchise's ability to address other critical needs. With or without him the organization is in position to acquire additiona players.

If Gailey believes that he can utilize his talents, even if it is in special usage situations, then what is the problem with that? I'm sure that you would admit that Gailey was able to exploit his abilities better than his predecessor. There is no doubt that there are durability concerns but the organization is not going to break the bank on him.

The Clabo issue is a canard. He wasn't going to sign with the Bills. He wisely used the Bills to leverage his contract position with the Falcons. He signed with the team he wanted to be with. The argument that just because the Bills sign Parrish or Brad Smith to a good contract diminishes the organization's ability to sign offensive linemen doesn't hold water. In addition, just because one weakness isn't addressed doesn't mean that you can't address upgrading in other areas. As you very well know the Bills are dramatically below the cap, even with the signing of Smith and new contract with Parrish.

Quality OTs are highly valued. There is a dearth of quality OTs available. The ones that are on the market have major question marks associated with them. No one is arguing with you that Parrish wasn't a good draft pick for us. So what? The majority of the picks for the Bills during that era weren't good picks. If the HC believes that he can utilize the talents on the roster then why not keep him? It's not as if this team has an overstock of such playmaking players.

Edited by JohnC

a 5'9'' 175lbs often hurt player. Here's hoping at age 29 this guy finds a way out of the trainer's room! :beer:

Agreed. My most-fun player in the NFL to watch when he has the ball, and probably lots of other people's too. I'm afraid the dude doesn't have the body to stay healthy though. The problem with using him in the slot is that if it's a run play he's got to block, and he's in there with the big boys that are twice his weight sometimes.

Stay healthy Roscoe, we need you buddy

Because it will probably cost 4 times as much to extend Fitz as it will Roscoe. Maybe more depending on the contract.

The logic doesn't change.

Also, how do you factor injury into a contract? I don't think you can not pay a guy if he misses games due to injury.

You are missing the point. Teams started punting to the sidelines (to give hime less room) and higher shorter kicks (for the same reason).

They guy is a great punt returner and opposing teams did what they could to avoid him breaking open games.

They would do the same for any decent returner, yet their numbers didn't plummet like Roscoe's.

Also, how do you factor injury into a contract? I don't think you can not pay a guy if he misses games due to injury.

Sure the logic changes. Giving a guy $3M/year and him busting doesn't hurt you nearly as bad as giving a guy $12M/year and him busting.

As for the injury factor, you can give a lower base salary but tie incentives into games started.

Yeah Promo, what a smart move to extend an under productive gadget player! You are right; everything the Bills do is great. Our dismal record is a mere coincidence.

Roscoe is one of the best punt returners in the league and is just coming into his own as a receiver.

Extending him is a prudent move. Letting him walk would be a pretty stupid move.

I cannot help you then. I have watched football for many years. I played football way back when. Returning punts is one of the most difficult and dangerous things one can do in sports.

Notwithstanding his size, Roscoe (in my humble opinion) is one of the best and most exciting punt returners I have ever seen.

Just my two cents.

They would do the same for any decent returner, yet their numbers didn't plummet like Roscoe's.

I checked on last years punt return average and Roscoe was tied for 23rd in the league. With a long of 33 yards and no TDs. Ex-Bills Jim Leonhard was tied for 19th

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=KICK_RETURNS&d-447263-s=PUNT_RETURNS_AVERAGE_YARDS

If hes great, what are the 22 guys ahead of him? All galaxy?

Your points are well thought out on the notion of the best way way to build a team i.e. build from the lines. Where I disagree with you is that just because Parrish was on the roster before Gailey got here doesn't mean he can't be an asset. Do you want Gailey to get rid of everyone who was on the roster before he became the HC simply because he was acquired by a prior administration? Truth be told this regime is systematically getting rid of the Jauron/Levy/Donahoe mishap selections. Cutting him or not giving him a contract doesn't increase the franchise's ability to address other critical needs. With or without him the organization is in position to acquire additiona players.

If Gailey believes that he can utilize his talents, even if it is in special usage situations, then what is the problem with that? I'm sure that you would admit that Gailey was able to exploit his abilities better than his predecessor. There is no doubt that there are durability concerns but the organization is not going to break the bank on him.

The Clabo issue is a canard. He wasn't going to sign with the Bills. He wisely used the Bills to leverage his contract position with the Falcons. He signed with the team he wanted to be with. The argument that just because the Bills sign Parrish or Brad Smith to a good contract diminishes the organization's ability to sign offensive linemen doesn't hold water. In addition, just because one weakness isn't addressed doesn't mean that you can't address upgrading in other areas. As you very well know the Bills are dramatically below the cap, even with the signing of Smith and new contract with Parrish.

Quality OTs are highly valued. There is a dearth of quality OTs available. The ones that are on the market have major question marks associated with them. No one is arguing with you that Parrish wasn't a good draft pick for us. So what? The majority of the picks for the Bills during that era weren't good picks. If the HC believes that he can utilize the talents on the roster then why not keep him? It's not as if this team has an overstock of such playmaking players.

Very well said. +1

I checked on last years punt return average and Roscoe was tied for 23rd in the league. With a long of 33 yards and no TDs. Ex-Bills Jim Leonhard was tied for 19th

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=KICK_RETURNS&d-447263-s=PUNT_RETURNS_AVERAGE_YARDS

I think the point on this was career punt return average. He did not happen to break one for the first 8 games he played last year before getting hurt. One long return changes this completely.

Our special teams blocking as a whole really took a turn for the worse last year (our kickoff were also worse, and in general it seems like Chan doesn't give the same attention to special teams as our previous coaches.)

Yawn on a Roscoe Extension.

Isn't this the guy that makes unbelievable plays in training and practice but never on the football field? What does he have 7 touchdown his ENTIRE career? He is as fragile as the cups in my china cabinet. Certainly not worth the 3 mill+ they are paying him this year. Not one of the guys that would be a priority on the re-signing list.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The reason why Fitz isn't being extended yet is the Bills want to see if last year was a fluke or not, and because re-signing him, a QB, is an order of magnitude higher in money than Roscoe would be. Speaking of which, I'm all for a reasonable deal for Roscoe. But anything more than what he was making ($3.3M/year) is overpaying, unless there are provisions for missing games due to injury.

yep! i agree with all points, but especially the healthy, being on the field incentives. The man does have some wheels and does a decent job with those tiny hands. :)

Gailey likes explosive players. Roscoe has that, and Gailey has shown that he can make Roscoe a productive slot receiver. Something the previous coaching staff could not do. Yes he's an injury risk as is the WR position in general. That's why teams carry a lot of WRs (5-8 wr's for nominally 2 starting jobs). IMO, Roscoe is a very good slot receiver who even if he only lasts 8 games, is worth having on our team. I'll take the mis-matches he gives us during his time on the field.