Maybin sighting haha

Well, Bills castoffs never do well after the Bills give up on them, right? Leonard, Bannan, etc. all suck.

it is rare with a few exceptions. For every hargrove and pat williams there is a trent edwards, losman, mccargo, kirk chambers, dockery, ko simpson, and just a ton of players that dropped out of the league after leaving the bills.

Well, Bills castoffs never do well after the Bills give up on them, right? Leonard, Bannan, etc. all suck.

If Maybin does anything in the NFL then he is an asswart because we gave him two years and a boatload of money to do anything with the Bills. If he suddenly flips the switch now for minimum money then eff him. :angry:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If Maybin does anything in the NFL then he is an asswart because we gave him two years and a boatload of money to do anything with the Bills. If he suddenly flips the switch now for minimum money then eff him. :angry:

PTR

I won't say I expect, because I don't, but it's possible. He's young, was put in 2 totally different positions (DE and OLB), didn't have a ton of talent around him... And it's only been 2 seasons, one of which got a late start due to the holdout, and then the lockout....

It would be a big surprise still, but I wont say it's been ideal circumstances to evaluate him. Not that I've seen even a flicker of hope really...

I don't get the personal hate directed towards Maybin in this group. Its not as if he chose to under perform to the level he was drafted at. He worked hard, never caused locker room trouble, and was generally a good guy. He just didn't live up to the expectations of the coaches.

I wish him the best and hope he dominates on the Jets for 14 weeks of the year.

I won't say I expect, because I don't, but it's possible. He's young, was put in 2 totally different positions (DE and OLB), didn't have a ton of talent around him... And it's only been 2 seasons, one of which got a late start due to the holdout, and then the lockout....

It would be a big surprise still, but I wont say it's been ideal circumstances to evaluate him. Not that I've seen even a flicker of hope really...

When you are picked 11th overall, you are supposed to be the talent around the other guys...see Peyton Manning.

PTR

Let's not get crazy. 1 sack, 3rd string, preseason game. He is 225. if he can start at OLB, thats going to be one of the smallest OLBs in a 3-4 to ever play in the game.

When you are picked 11th overall, you are supposed to be the talent around the other guys...see Peyton Manning.

Yea, the best #1 pick of the last 15 years is a good reference point to judge average first round value. Truth is the 10-20 range is very much hit or miss. An average mid first round pick is going to be a moderately above average starter in most cases. It's always awesome to hit one out of the park. The guys that have huge success are often those that land in great situations. This was definitely not a good place for him. A guy that was younger than average, smaller than average, with a learning curve that was expected did not need 3 headcoaches in 2 seasons, 2 different positions, a lockout etc.... on top of the holdout.

Who knows what he would be today if drafted by a team like the jets, steelers, or ravens. Odds are also a bum, but there's no doubt he wouldve had a better chance in a stable place, with a history of player development, and veteran talent and leadership around him.

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for him just trying to represent the other half of the story. That all said, I still think maybin was a bum pick, with so many better fits staring us in the face. I think the weight issues really make him a lost cause, but it'd be interesting to know more about his nutrition plan vs his execution of it.

Edited by NoSaint

If Maybin turns into any kind of a player with the Jets, it's going to yet another indicment in a long line of indicments against the quality of our organization. Not that 1 sack against third stringers is an indication of that just yet, but it is far more productive than anything he did during his time here. As a Bill, Maybin was getting tossed around equally from starters to training camp fodder it seemed.

Vernon Gholston always looked great in training camp and preseason. It's why the Jets kept him as long as they did, and why the Bears are giving him a shot.

Trent Edwards taught me that preseason is almost an alternate dimension of reality to the the regular season.

I'll save any indictment of OBD until after Maybin is voted to the Pro Bowl.

it is rare with a few exceptions. For every hargrove and pat williams there is a trent edwards, losman, mccargo, kirk chambers, dockery, ko simpson, and just a ton of players that dropped out of the league after leaving the bills.

The guy I am most surprised that hasn't caught on anywhere is Josh Reed. He wasn't great, but, he defined the term "decent receiver" to me...once he failed to make the Chargers squad last year, nobody was interested. With all the injuries that every team suffers at the position, you would think he would have found a home somewhere. I always thought he was the kid of player that the Patriots would have made into a household name...

Vernon Gholston always looked great in training camp and preseason. It's why the Jets kept him as long as they did, and why the Bears are giving him a shot.

Trent Edwards taught me that preseason is almost an alternate dimension of reality to the the regular season.I'll save any indictment of OBD until after Maybin is voted to the Pro Bowl.

Wathced a little bit of the Raiders/49ers game last night...Trent threw one of the worst interceptions I can remember ever seeing him throw...ugly. Not all that much pressure, and he tried to heave it over double coverage, along the left sideline to a guy that was so not open...meanwhile, he had a HB wide open in fron of him, who most likely would have picked up at least 8 yards or so...I wonder if he makes that team.

Edited by Buftex

Wathced a little bit of the Raiders/49ers game last night...Trent threw one of the worst interceptions I can remember ever seeing him throw...ugly. Not all that much pressure, and he tried to heave it over double coverage, along the left sideline to a guy that was so not open...meanwhile, he had a HB wide open in fron of him, who most likely would have picked up at least 8 yards or so...I wonder if he makes that team.

So wait, you're saying......wait for it.....that he should have "checked down"? :P

pretty awesome he celebrated before trying to get the ball on the ground, the patented run around the outside lol... gets em every time

I suspect Whitner, Evans, and Puz will do the same. :wallbash:

I still dont believe any Bills Castoff has ever done that well, there have been a few that have become average NFL players and I guess you could consider Leonard a good NFL starter (on an amazing defense that hides his flaws) but there hasnt been any player that became a stars after we let them go.

PTR

He MAY do alright as a situational rusher, IF he is surrounded by top defensive players (which he is in NY). He may actually get some "coverage" sacks with the Jets defense, which you know the NY media will shove down Bills fans throats. Talk about insult added to injury.....

pretty awesome he celebrated before trying to get the ball on the ground, the patented run around the outside lol... gets em every time

I still dont believe any Bills Castoff has ever done that well, there have been a few that have become average NFL players and I guess you could consider Leonard a good NFL starter (on an amazing defense that hides his flaws) but there hasnt been any player that became a stars after we let them go.

i think that sums up pretty much every reason he wont be successful. his goals dont seem to be 60 minutes of hard play, it seems like its a flash on the highlights. i dont doubt that he works hard, but i dont think he understands where he needs to be trying to get.