Ralph didn't want Vick

per Tim Graham via Twitter. Even though people in football department did. Why should he have the say. Shouldn't the GM?

Because he is the guy writing the check. I am sure a lot of owners wanted no part of the PR nightmare that Vick made himself into following his crimes. Don't get me wrong, I would've loved him in a Bills uniform, but the guy writing the check gets to make the call because he founded the team!!

I just dont think that is the point......the commissioner shouldnt be steering a player away from anybody whether they wanted him or not.

Agreed that Goodell overstepped boundaries if this did happen, but it is kind of a moot point if Wilson was going to refuse to sign the guy anyways.

per Tim Graham via Twitter. Even though people in football department did. Why should he have the say. Shouldn't the GM?

You have to ask: Does Ralph Wilson EVER want a black starting quarterback in Buffalo? There was Harris, but that was 40 years ago.

I think about that a lot when the QB discussions come up. Brad Smith may be a gimmick QB that he doesn't have to pay big money...

Edited by BmoreBills

Agreed that Goodell overstepped boundaries if this did happen, but it is kind of a moot point if Wilson was going to refuse to sign the guy anyways.

Not a moot point if it becomes/has become a pattern.

I think Ralph's fingerprints are on a lot of decisions the Bills have made over the years. This is pure speculation on my part, I think this is one of the reasons the Bills had a hard time recruiting GMs and head coaches to come here.

That being said Wilson owns the team, so his word is final.

Edited by clancynut

i think ralph worried about what the fanbase would do. Maybe he was scared he would lose money in ticket sales? I for one didnt want Vick, I have morals in life and he broke a major moral of mine.....animal abuse. I love animals, and what Vick did was inhumane...personally I dont think his punishment was enough. I think he should have been banned from football. But thats strictly my opinion as to why ralph didnt go after him. He was worried about losing money with the fanbase.

Dammit, Ralph! The correct answer was:

"I fully supported our management's decision to pursue Michael Vick. We had a contract all worked out. Mr. Vick had agreed in principle to sign at which time he informed us that the commissioner had strongly 'advised' him to sign with Philadelphia instead. We have been irreparably harmed and demand 6 draft picks* as compensation."

*However, we do not want any 1st rounders because we don't know how to use them.

:D

So let me get this straight. The Bills just came out and told Tim Graham that Ralph said "No" to Vick. Does that sound like something that makes alot of sense for the Bills organization?

Im just sick of the media saying things that have no factual evidence and playing it off as if it was true.

i think ralph worried about what the fanbase would do. Maybe he was scared he would lose money in ticket sales? I for one didnt want Vick, I have morals in life and he broke a major moral of mine.....animal abuse. I love animals, and what Vick did was inhumane...personally I dont think his punishment was enough. I think he should have been banned from football. But thats strictly my opinion as to why ralph didnt go after him. He was worried about losing money with the fanbase.

Let's face it, experts were questioning if Vick could even play QB again in the league or if he would just be a wildcat guy. Not a lot people saw this thing playing out the way it did. I don't blame Ralph (or any owner) for passing on a guy who was out of football for 2 years and had a history of inconsistency, poor decisions in the pocket, and a less than ideal work ethic.

Pretty easy to play revisionist historian now that the guy is a legit MVP candidate who somehow learned in prison how to be a dependable pocket QB in addition to maintaining the freaky athleticism.

Dammit, Ralph! The correct answer was:

"I fully supported our management's decision to pursue Michael Vick. We had a contract all worked out. Mr. Vick had agreed in principle to sign at which time he informed us that the commissioner had strongly 'advised' him to sign with Philadelphia instead. We have been irreparably harmed and demand 6 draft picks* as compensation."

*However, we do not want any 1st rounders because we don't know how to use them.

:D

Good one!

It sounds like to me the damage control is in FULL force here.

The NFL knows this could be a huge issue but they want to squash this right now.

I am sure the media got the 'memo' about this story; NFL denies, now Ralph did not want Vick, it NEEDS to be put to bed.

If this was Dallas, this would not happen.

It is ok for the NFL to admit, Buffalo is low on their agenda list, I would rather hear that then hear the media start spinning their wheels to cover up what was an obvious blunder by the commish.

Vick in Philly excelling meant HUGE $, in Buffalo, not even close to the same.

just more proof of wilson's continued high level of involvement in player decisions.....the results speak for themselves.

I really want to refrain from name-calling, but this post is absolutely inane.

You equate Ralph "allegedly" resisting the urge to bring a convicted dog killer onto his roster with his "involvement in player decisions" that have caused the Bills to fail on the field for the past decade?

Priceless.

I believe we had this discussion a couple years ago and it was pretty well accepted that RW didn't want to sign Vick at the time. Signing him was a potential public relations disaster and RW would have been well within his right to veto what his personnel men said at the time. This wasn't like RW interfering with a draft choice, etc.

GO BILLS!!!

I just dont think that is the point......the commissioner shouldnt be steering a player away from anybody whether they wanted him or not.

This is exactly the point !! It's one thing if Ralph & the team or coaches don't want to bring him in for obvious reasons but if the commissioner of the NFL & others are steering players away from a team that said player might be able to lift in the NFL rankings & wants to go to what's up with that ???

COULD IT BE A CONSPIRACY ???? :ph34r:

You guys have this all wrong. What really happened is this:

Goddell didn't want Vick to come to Buffalo because he is from western New York and didn't want to corrupt the morals of this fine commmunity.

Michael Vick wanted to come to Buffalo at first. But he didn't think that a truckload of dog food was a big enough signing bonus.

Wilson was against signing Vick because he wasn't over the hill yet, and he didn't want to change Bills policy.

The S.P.C.A, was for Vick coming to the area because Virginia's S.P.C.A. said he was an avid supporter. He took many of the large number of dogs they had for adoption.

Brandon didn't try to sign him because when told he just came out of the "big house," he thought that meant Ohio State. We already had some recent defensive backs from there and he saw no reason to hire one to play a quarter of the way back.

Dick Jauron wanted him, and if Vick signed he had plans to change his position to kick returner.

Several fans hated him because his name reminded them of medicated cough drops.

I asked around, and in spite of Michael's past, not a single canine was against him being reinstated or brought to Buffalo.

O.J. was quoted as saying, "why would you want a dog killer in Buffalo?"

Of course, now, Vick the lovable reformed citizen can throw out comments like that because he doesn't think anyone would be offended. Doesn't he realize that no one can top the Pittsburgh Steelers for offending people with stupid comments?

Personally, I don't care if Jack the Ripper is signed. I just want to see players on the Bills squad that can help them win games. After the game, they can eat the opponents for all I care. I want more Ws.

You guys have this all wrong. What really happened is this:

Goddell didn't want Vick to come to Buffalo because he is from western New York and didn't want to corrupt the morals of this fine commmunity.

Michael Vick wanted to come to Buffalo at first. But he didn't think that a truckload of dog food was a big enough signing bonus.

Wilson was against signing Vick because he wasn't over the hill yet, and he didn't want to change Bills policy.

The S.P.C.A, was for Vick coming to the area because Virginia's S.P.C.A. said he was an avid supporter. He took many of the large number of dogs they had for adoption.

Brandon didn't try to sign him because when told he just came out of the "big house," he thought that meant Ohio State. We already had some recent defensive backs from there and he saw no reason to hire one to play a quarter of the way back.

Dick Jauron wanted him, and if Vick signed he had plans to change his position to kick returner.

Several fans hated him because his name reminded them of medicated cough drops.

I asked around, and in spite of Michael's past, not a single canine was against him being reinstated or brought to Buffalo.

O.J. was quoted as saying, "why would you want a dog killer in Buffalo?"

Of course, now, Vick the lovable reformed citizen can throw out comments like that because he doesn't think anyone would be offended. Doesn't he realize that no one can top the Pittsburgh Steelers for offending people with stupid comments?

Personally, I don't care if Jack the Ripper is signed. I just want to see players on the Bills squad that can help them win games. After the game, they can eat the opponents for all I care. I want more Ws.

I think you just made the fans of two big ten rivals very angry.

But do you have a problem with Merriman? Who took roids? Should he had been banned?

Do you think guys that get DUIs should be banned from football? What if they beat the hell out of a woman?

What is they stole a pack of gum in the 3rd grade? Where do you draw the line?

Maybe we should let the legal system determine appropriate punishments, and not arbitrarily try to deny someone's right to work.

I really want to refrain from name-calling, but this post is absolutely inane.

You equate Ralph "allegedly" resisting the urge to bring a convicted dog killer onto his roster with his "involvement in player decisions" that have caused the Bills to fail on the field for the past decade?

Priceless.

not surprising you find it inane when you entirely miss the point: it doesn't matter why he might have said no to vick, if he did as alleged, then it further supports his continued role as a meddler. and yes, i believe as do many others that wilson's meddling has much to do with the bills failure over most of 50+ years.

Tim Graham cites a "source" in the bills organization. He failed to mention the guy was wiping off toilet seats at the time. Graham must have run out of characters. Darn that Twitter.

Graham's source is not with the Bills, according to a twitter comment posed to Jeremy White a few minutes ago.

You have to ask: Does Ralph Wilson EVER want a black starting quarterback in Buffalo? There was Harris, but that was 40 years ago.

I think about that a lot when the QB discussions come up. Brad Smith may be a gimmick QB that he doesn't have to pay big money...

Typical Vick thread. Racism trotted out by post #6.

Who DID want Vick back then? Just Philly and Cincy? That's 2 teams out of 29 (excluding Atlanta). So Ralph was like 29 other owners in not wanting him. Why is this news?

supposedly there was "football' interest within the bills. so that would imply the true talent evaluators here wanted him or at least wanted to consider him. cinci and the bills were/are desperate teams. desperate times warrant desperate measures. philly, conversely, is just smart.

I think it's unfair to insinuate that Wilson is a racist.

James Harris, who you mention, was the first black QB to begin an AFL or NFL season as the starting QB. Wilson was okay with a black QB before anyone else.

Who knows if the report that Ralph didn't want Vick is true. But, if true, maybe Wilson just likes dogs. Maybe Wilson doesn't like felons. Maybe, like many people before last season, Ralph didn't think Vick was accurate enough to be a top flight NFL QB.

Other than Vick, when have you heard that Wilson was against black QBs?