Bills Shopping Lee Evans?

Are the Bills shopping Lee Evans? Kevin Negandhi of ESPN says "I'm aware Buffalo got Brad Smith.. he's a fine player.. no need to keep reminding me.. he'll be a #2 WR on that team.."

Link

Is that just a poor understanding of the Bills depth chart, a commentary on Stevie, or a hint the Bills may be shopping one of their top two receivers?

don't mind shopping evans at this point. Especially if we get a good vet at another position of need like T or LB. but I wouldn't go any lower than a 4th. And to be honest, we probably couldn't get a 5th. There are too many wide receivers in free agency, that no one is going to really need him.

if there weren't so many recievers in free agency, the best we could get is probably a 5th.

Lee Evans is are best WR, Steve Johnson is good but that was for one season

Evans is consistent & his number would show that if he wasn't double team every week & Brad Smith is good but he not a 2nd maybe not a 3rd WR

Smith is a guy you give the ball to 4 to 5 times a game to make a play, he not an every down guy

Smith is a specialty act!

Evans is with us for one more year until we see how Easley, Stevie, Nelson, and Jones develop. Bye bye Paul Hubbard ...

Feels good to have quality depth at one position ...

:lol:

I'm sure this is sarcasm...ins't it?

Are the Bills shopping Lee Evans? Kevin Negandhi of ESPN says "I'm aware Buffalo got Brad Smith.. he's a fine player.. no need to keep reminding me.. he'll be a #2 WR on that team.."

Link

Is that just a poor understanding of the Bills depth chart, a commentary on Stevie, or a hint the Bills may be shopping one of their top two receivers?

typical ESPN - havent watched a Bills game in years no idea who's on the team

Link

That's quite a leap there Wicked, If he is saying Smith will be #2 Then he is clearly referring to Evans as #1. It also shows that he doesn't know our depth and I predict David Nelson will be our #2 by seasons end.

That's quite a leap there Wicked, If he is saying Smith will be #2 Then he is clearly referring to Evans as #1. It also shows that he doesn't know our depth and I predict David Nelson will be our #2 by seasons end.

This. Even one of the Albany area sports talk guys didn't think Steve Johnson was much of anything until a Bills fan called and gave him Steve's numbers from last year.

Let the media keep making mistakes. It shows they're not doing their job well enough. Once the Bills start winning, they'll get things right.

Link

If Brad Smith is our #2 then we're in a world of hurt!

He's a role-playing WR at best? He's a STs/return guy. As a WR he's a 5th tops.

Evans signed his own career death warrant when he resigned with the Bills several seasons ago.

I am so sick of people making excuses for Lee Evans talking about how he gets double-teamed, thus his numbers are deceivingly low. Remember when he had a monster year in '06? The #2 WR that year was a recycled, running-on-fumes Peerless Price and his QB was Jonathan Paul. There is not one other WR in the NFL that puts up bad numbers and gets excuses made for them like this. Your numbers are a direct reflection of how good you are. Give or take- obviously Fitzgerald's numbers when down last year and Ochocinco's numbers will go up this year, but as a very general rule that is the case. The guy now puts up about 500 yards a year. That is Lee Evans. No better, no worse.

I am so sick of people making excuses for Lee Evans talking about how he gets double-teamed, thus his numbers are deceivingly low. Remember when he had a monster year in '06? The #2 WR that year was a recycled, running-on-fumes Peerless Price and his QB was Jonathan Paul. There is not one other WR in the NFL that puts up bad numbers and gets excuses made for them like this. Your numbers are a direct reflection of how good you are. Give or take- obviously Fitzgerald's numbers when down last year and Ochocinco's numbers will go up this year, but as a very general rule that is the case. The guy now puts up about 500 yards a year. That is Lee Evans. No better, no worse.

VERY hard to disagree with this post. +5

If Brad Smith is our #2 then we're in a world of hurt!

He's a role-playing WR at best? He's a STs/return guy. As a WR he's a 5th tops.

Evans signed his own career death warrant when he resigned with the Bills several seasons ago.

I suppose we will see. Just cause he was never asked to do something doesn't mean he can't. The beloved Stevie had only shown he was a 7th round bench warmer until a new staff actually used him right.

Evans does not fit on this team. He may be a good player, but all he can do is run a fly pattern. We need a more dynamic offensse. Perhaps Green Bay would be interested in him, as their WR corp is getting older, or Minn.

I suppose we will see. Just cause he was never asked to do something doesn't mean he can't. The beloved Stevie had only shown he was a 7th round bench warmer until a new staff actually used him right.

+1. I think Brad Smith will be the real deal. And he can play QB, which means that he can come in at WR on short yardage situations, switch with Fitz, and then the Defense has no idea if he will throw the ball, run the ball, etc. Look up his college numbers. The Jets wanted to keep him but tied too much up in Holems.

So, why did they sign SMith . His value as reported in the NY press is overstated. Parrish is as good, but in the last year of his contract. My take, Parrish is out of here, to brittle to play every down. Also, Steve Johnson is in the last year of his contract (I think?), and might have a great year and be gone...so they will be better able to tolerate his loss. I read a lot of the signings as getting ready for future losses. Florence...losses of McGee (over the hill) and McKelvin... McKelvin is a lot like Whittner...has not justified his draft position by performance yet. Anyhow, I don't think Evans is going anywhere, the only true verticle threat on the team, and you really need two of those.

No you don't. If the guy was a baller, he'd put up baller numbers. Period end of story.

I bet if you asked Stevie Johnson what he thinks Evans means to the team you'd find it isn't quite as simplistic as you presume.

It's not hard at all. Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers.

I've defended Evans for years, but the simple fact of the matter is that he isn't very productive. There are a lot of guys who are targeted in coverage who consistently put up good numbers. He hasn't in years. Maybe that will change this year.

I don't completely disagree but that is why now is the worst time to trade him. Getting a 4th round pick for a guy coming off his worst season who still has big play ability would be the ultimate 'Sell Low'...no thanks.

kind of a major leap to see us shopping Lee Evans just because we signed Brad Smith. The major receivers will probably be Evans, Steve Smith, Roscoe and Brad. I would think we would be very comfortable with this contingent, and if someone were to go...much as I would regret seeing it....it would be Roscoe.

Smith was a good pick up...not a great addition to positions of need, but a good solid utility guy.

I bet if you asked Stevie Johnson what he thinks Evans means to the team you'd find it isn't quite as simplistic as you presume.

OK. Name another receiver in the NFL who is really good and puts up pedestrian numbers. The reason Stevie Johnson put up better numbers last year is because HE IS BETTER. Despite the fact that he has some growing up to do, he is ridculously good at creating space. Name another example in the NFL where there is a receiver who puts up TWICE the numbers as another receiver on his team despite the fact that the other guy is actually a better receiver. You could put Felton Huggins and Paul Hubbard in a 3 receiver set with an actual elite receiver and he'll still put up big numbers. Stop enabling him. If Stevie Johnson gave all his credit to Lee Evans, he is just being polite and paying homage to the veteran.