Ralph Wilson Stadium to be Smoke Free

Realist

As a "recovering smoker": This is a really bad idea. Look, it's a horrible vice, we all know that. Active smokers even know that. RWS provided completely segregated areas--that one didn't have to walk through--for smoking.

Couple that with this: There are a lot of people who drink too much at games (which is the main reason I don't go anymore), and I'll bet a fair portion of those also smoke.

So now, we've got a bunch of folks who (1) have been drinking before and at the game, (2) can't smoke, and (3) are in a rowdy atmosphere.

Bad, bad idea.

People will learn real fast. I don't foresee mass riots.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually dont arrive until about 9AM anyway. However, I foresee a TON of traffic to get into the lots now at 9AM.

This smoking thing is fine. It is a gameday tradition and a vice for me to have a cig or two at halftime. However, I think this will not work out as planned. A lot of people are going to be lighting up, sneaking it, etc.... Eventually it will just evolve and they will have a corral or something leading to just outside the gate.

Surprised to read that you can't leave the stadium to have a smoke in one of the lots and then return to the game. I suppose that they want to protect their concessions. If people left for a smoke there would be many who would also load up on beers/food at halftime.

As a "recovering smoker": This is a really bad idea. Look, it's a horrible vice, we all know that. Active smokers even know that. RWS provided completely segregated areas--that one didn't have to walk through--for smoking.

Couple that with this: There are a lot of people who drink too much at games (which is the main reason I don't go anymore), and I'll bet a fair portion of those also smoke.

So now, we've got a bunch of folks who (1) have been drinking before and at the game, (2) can't smoke, and (3) are in a rowdy atmosphere.

Bad, bad idea.

I got to agree with this. First off let me say I am not a smoker. I never have been & I never will be. But with that being said at the games I was not effected at all by the smokers. They kept them out of the concourse & the stadium & kept them into a confined area. If you do not want to inhale second hand smoke, avoid that area. Pretty simple. I bet they lose some customers over this. & now they are not opening the lots until 9am? That kind of sucks.

What were they?

1. The ban is really a way to crack down on those who smoke in their seats. Having an area to smoke in is tacit approval to smoke in their facility, so those who are rule benders are only slightly bending the old rule. By banning smoking, you are putting more teeth into the policy and making it easier on security.

2. The tailgate hour limits is a bigger deal and will push STHs to the private lots surrounding the stadium.

I wish I would have made Judman's point and also pointed out that those who abide by the new tailgate rule means all those cars will be pushed into higher congested times, making it worse.

Talked about it as a continuation of Goodell's efforts to clean up stadium/"game day" experience.

Concerning smoking and reentry, reentry is not feasible for smokers because ticket stubs can be taken from fans in seats and given to friends waiting in cars w/o tickets.

In relation to the 1 hr parking lot change, thinks veteran tailgaters will migrate more towards private lots.

I know there are hand stamps for this, but that is a security nightmare when people are drinking. No where else can you leave a stadium and come back in. I could have made a better point on the security issue.

I got to agree with this. First off let me say I am not a smoker. I never have been & I never will be. But with that being said at the games I was not effected at all by the smokers. They kept them out of the concourse & the stadium & kept them into a confined area. If you do not want to inhale second hand smoke, avoid that area. Pretty simple. I bet they lose some customers over this. & now they are not opening the lots until 9am? That kind of sucks.

This might be a stupid question, considering I am not a season ticket holder and live out of town, but didn't the Bills change the opening of the stadium lots last year to 9am? If so, wouldn't that mean that they are now opening at 10am? For some reason, I seem to remember my buddy that gets me my tickets, saying that the lots opened last year at 9. I don't know.

It's a free country, well no it's not. Our freedoms / privacy will be judged & slowly taken away, it starts with small stuff. Next you'll here prisons are smoke free,'that'll start a riot.

They already are in Ohio. That includes all the workers at the prison too. As soon as they get onto the property, no smoking. I think it's BS for a CO not be able to go have a smoke in their own car in the parking lot on a break. As for the stadium I'm with the "smoke em if you got em" crowd. Now I can understand no smoking in the stands and booting out people that do. But who's getting hurt by the people out in the open areas having a smoke at halftime? Don't give any BS about second hand smoke either. I'm pretty sure the previous 4 hours of sucking down charcoal grill fumes in the lot is a lot more of a "health risk" than some people lighting up a cig OUTSIDE. What's next banning all grills?

I think that is fantastic. No matter how much the smoking areas are segregated, the filth always seems to waft into a non smoking area.

Now they just need to enforce it. Even with the smoking areas, there's always some selfish a-hole smoking in the stands.

They already are in Ohio. That includes all the workers at the prison too. As soon as they get onto the property, no smoking. I think it's BS for a CO not be able to go have a smoke in their own car in the parking lot on a break. As for the stadium I'm with the "smoke em if you got em" crowd. Now I can understand no smoking in the stands and booting out people that do. But who's getting hurt by the people out in the open areas having a smoke at halftime? Don't give any BS about second hand smoke either. I'm pretty sure the previous 4 hours of sucking down charcoal grill fumes in the lot is a lot more of a "health risk" than some people lighting up a cig OUTSIDE. What's next banning all grills?

I'm for public stoning for anyone who tells me your cigarette does not affect me because we are outside. There isn't a more asinine argument in the world. You don't even want to know what I propose after the stoning for those who make your second argument. Good Lord, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I'm for public stoning for anyone who tells me your cigarette does not affect me because we are outside. There isn't a more asinine argument in the world. You don't even want to know what I propose after the stoning for those who make your second argument. Good Lord, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Do you think that it affects your health? Also, do you feel affected when people get intoxicated at games?