Ralph Wilson Stadium to be Smoke Free

Realist

In the sideline and premium club sections at RWS they do the same thing. We get our ticket scanned anytime we enter and leave, to keep the riff raff out. Since security already scans tickets at the gate to get in the stadium, they could easily scan people out if they wanted to go to the lots to smoke.

They could easily make beer $2 a cup and nachos a $1.50 too... but they ain't letting people go out to eat/drink at halftime and come back in. I would be shocked if a single NFL team re-entry.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I read one more post about how our "freedoms" and "rights" are being taken away with respect to smoking bans, I believe I'll :sick:

The ONLY problem I have with smoking bans are when private establishment are FORCED by laws to become smokefree. SInce the Bills are making the decision themsleves, I have ZERO problem with thier new policy, although, I agree with others here that it will likely cause some unintended problems.

If a private establishment like a bar or restaurant wants to allow smoking there, I also have NO problem with that. I can choose not to go there. I choose not to go to many Bills games because of the disgusting things you have to bear witness to regarding drunken idiots. Oh, that and the Bills suck big time...

I noticed quite a few posters saying they dont go to the games anymore because of the drunks, drinking themselves into a puke. Oh and the fights too.

I havent seen anybody post that they didnt go to the games in the past because of the smoking.

Interesting.

Smokers can't control they way the wind blows, but they can control whether they smoke or not. Smoking is a choice. Period. People smoke in the stands ALL THE TIME. Kick the inconsiderate jerks out. Now there are no excuses.

Excessive drinking is also a problem, but that doesn't mean smoking isn't. Both are issues, and should be addressed. I'm glad the Bills are addressing them.

I agree that it is the losers who smoked in the seats instead of going outside that utterly ruin everything. In fact, that is probably the real reason for the change. No more excuses like "i thought this WAS a smoking area..."

On the other foot as far as the "filth" as you call it, wafting into non smoking areas, smokers can't control which way the wind blows and you can hardly blame them for that. Most smokers are considerate people. They have no intentions of MAKING you smell the smoke or inhale it second hand and they aren't going to light up where they aren't supposed to or blow it in your face on purpose so I feel bad for those people. A few bad eggs can ruin things for everyone. AT the end of the day, this is probably something that will increase the quality of the game day experience over time. I still think that the excessive drinking is the real problem. People don't realize how stupid they act and can be an actual physical threat to another person depending on how well they can handle their anger after getting sloshed.

I quit cold turkey last July, it was brutal but well worth it. I find that I enjoy sporting events much more when I am not rushing to the designated area to huff down a quick smoke. The only problem I have with open air stadiums banning it outright is that they can have a smoking area that does not interfere with non-smokers.

I completely agree. I have never smoked, but if you want to smoke I'm all for your right to do it so long as I’m not inhaling the second hand smoke. In a stadium like the Ralph, I have never had a problem with the designated smoking areas. This is more about people trying to force others to quit or adopt their habits (like Prohibition) than anything to do with second-hand smoke health concerns. Shame on the Bills.

In the sideline and premium club sections at RWS they do the same thing. We get our ticket scanned anytime we enter and leave, to keep the riff raff out. Since security already scans tickets at the gate to get in the stadium, they could easily scan people out if they wanted to go to the lots to smoke.

They could, but that would ruin their Orwellian goal of forcing you to quit. If you want to quit (and you should) that is your personal decision.

I don't see how this stops you from inhaling cigarette smoke. People lit up in the stands all the time, even though it was banned. This will just make more people do it. These people use the most addictive substance on Earth, and they already flaunt the rules in great number. This just makes that guy who had the courtesy to actually go to the designated area smoke in the stands or bathroom.

The most ironic part, is that you will probably inhale more smoke after this rule than before.

A very good point. This is a counterproductive rule.

Got to agree with you Bill. Like I said I am not a smoker but smokers never bothered me in the stadium. They put it outside the concourse pretty much away from everything else. Sure you had 1 or 2 aholes smoking in the seats or outside the designated smoking area but guess what, when you get 70,000 people at one place your going to have that happen. My guess is it will still happen even with the new rules in place.

The lots opened at 8am last year for the poster that thought they opened at 9.

As other people have said, this will turn the bathrooms into smoking rooms. There is no way to enforce this. They could barley enforce the smoking area when only a few people were smoking in the seats. This will cause many problems for the Bills security staff, and actually increase the amount of 2nd hand smoke people are exposed to.

I quit smoking a few weeks ago after being on-again, off-again for many years. I hope to never smoke again however my wife smokes and has no intentions of quitting. I will also say that cigarette smoke does not bother me… except that it makes it harder to quit. I will never be a "turncoat smoker" though.

All that said, I think that stupid drunks are a much larger issue in the stadium than smokers. I like having a good time and I am a good time and I don't let others ruin my good time but I don't understand the need for binge drinking when it comes to sporting events. Never have, never will.

You pay good money to attend a game and then get publicly drunk so that you have very little idea of what's going on in the game? Or you become belligerent? Or you lapse into a stupor and/or fall asleep? Really? If the person I'm describing is you, you might want to re-evaluate your approach to attending sporting events.

As for "smokers rights" I don't think life is fair anyways and smokers rights have to be counterbalanced with the fact that some people simply do not want to smell/breathe cigarette smoke. Where is the fairness for a non-smoker who has to unwillingly smell or breathe cigarette smoke?

Even as a smoker, I think one should not light up if you think it might bother some people regardless of where you are and what the rules are… being inconsiderate does not give smokers a good name.

I don't have a problem with public or private places banning cigarette smoking… it's for the greater good and I believe in utilitarianism. I think if you view it as your liberties being infringed upon, you might have a somewhat selfish view on things.

The only area I have an issue with the anti-smoking movement sweeping the nation is when local governments are now telling residents that they can't smoke in their own homes. But even there I understand how in a condo or apartment that your neighbors might not want to smell/breathe someone else's cigarette smoke.

Like I said, life isn't always fair and if your addiction is driving your agenda, then I'm sorry.

How are things in NYC? Is the ban enforced there?

When I was in NYC last fall, I was in a remote, uncrowded subway station far underground in the land of urine aroma, subway ozone, and mildly elevated levels of CO and CO2. I decided to light up a cigarette because really, the air quality couldn't have been worse. Naturally, a transit officer materialized out of nowhere and asked me to put out my cigarette.

It was kind of the same as getting a jaywalking ticket while crossing Broadway.

Don't even joke about that! Some topics just are not funny. Jesus titty-f#$%ing Christ Bill, is nothing sacred?

it's easy to favor a ban against something that's entirely legal when it's something that does not affect you, personally. ... ah, but when someone suggests something that you might enjoy, well ...

as a smoker, there, i said it, i'll get by on this. always have. trouble is, i guess i wear today's "leper" label a little awkwardly and have difficulty understanding all this logic.

they push us out of buildings, leaving us to the streets. then they start complaining about us smoking on the streets. so they attempt to ban that, too. ... why not just stop selling the damn things? well, that would be going to far. and what about Prohibition, eh?

oh, so you can't ban them, but you can essentially attempt to ban the action, creating a Catch 22 that would make good ol' Joe Heller blush.

but wait, once they're done with us smokers, they'll have all this time on their hands to noodle in on the fun you might be having. and when that happens, good luck with that, cause it'll be too late. and don't say it won't happen.

the no-fun police are emboldened the the inroads already made. farting, just might well, be next.

jw

Some people dont want to "smell" smoke????

Well I have to put up with "seeing" your fat beer gut (for the ladies, too) and ugly, poorly placed tattoos.

IMO, one sensory offense just deserves another.

So until you get to Jack LaLanne and in for some laser treatment to remove that "tribal" thing across your neck which you think has meaning but really is Celtic for "idiot", Im going to sit here with my carton of Camels and puff puff puff away.

Edited by RkFast

it's easy to favor a ban against something that's entirely legal when it's something that does not affect you, personally. ... ah, but when someone suggests something that you might enjoy, well ...

as a smoker, there, i said it, i'll get by on this. always have. trouble is, i guess i wear today's "leper" label a little awkwardly and have difficulty understanding all this logic.they push us out of buildings, leaving us to the streets. then they start complaining about us smoking on the streets. so they attempt to ban that, too. ... why not just stop selling the damn things? well, that would be going to far. and what about Prohibition, eh?

oh, so you can't ban them, but you can essentially attempt to ban the action, creating a Catch 22 that would make good ol' Joe Heller blush.

but wait, once they're done with us smokers, they'll have all this time on their hands to noodle in on the fun you might be having. and when that happens, good luck with that, cause it'll be too late. and don't say it won't happen.

the no-fun police are emboldened the the inroads already made. farting, just might well, be next.

jw

Thats usually the case with a double standard. I used to smoke too and fondly remember the looks of scorn and contempt I would get on a regular basis. Even more fondly I remember the good samaritans who would try to explain to me the perils of smoking. I loved responding in my most arrogant tone "if smoking were bad for you, I think someone would have said something by now!" and waiting for the absolute meltdown that would follow as they would frantically shout the findings of every study and regurgitate PSAs and antismoking slogans at me. Give it a try, its hilarious and it works every time.

Luckily prohibition was not so long ago which buys the drinkers some time before the scrutiny shifts back to us. Now its smokers, next up the obese, then probably another multi billion dollar war on south american agriculture before it gets back to drinking again.

The leper analogy is a good one. The trend you described is likely to continue until smokers begin to protest and file high profile lawsuits alleging that their civil liberties have been violated. Until then the government will continue to walk all over smokers while cashing checks from their friends at Phillip Morris and RJ Reynolds.

Edited by Jauronimo

Some people dont want to "smell" smoke????

Well I have to put up with "seeing" your fat beer gut (for the ladies, too) and ugly, poorly placed tattoos.

IMO, one sensory offense just deserves another.

So until you get to Jack LaLanne and in for some laser treatment to remove that "tribal" thing across your neck which you think has meaning but really is Celtic for "idiot", Im going to sit here with my carton of Camels and puff puff puff away.

Thank you for proving nicotine causes retardation. This post is clearly unassailable proof.

Since I don't see a link, am I to understand that you are not going to be able to smoke anywhere within the fences of the stadium........I think they have had a designated area for quite awhile - and they are banning it there??

Thank you for proving nicotine causes retardation. This post is clearly unassailable proof.

Just a courtesy heads up, the word retard is offensive too. This is a big thing at schools now. In fact we had an "r-word" assembly this year.

EDIT...

And if it does cause you to suffer from some sort of mental shortfall, check out my avatar. :D

Edited by judman