Ralph Wilson Stadium to be Smoke Free

Realist

No where else can you leave a stadium and come back in.

I don't know about football, but I know that the Minnesota Wild let you leave and come back in. They scan your ticket as you leave, showing that you're gone, and then scan it back in when you return.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that it affects your health? Also, do you feel affected when people get intoxicated at games?

Hey Bill, just drop it because you have NO argument. The argument is that I can't :censored: breathe. It really isn't that hard of a concept. The smoke from YOUR cigarette goes into MY lungs and disrupts the normal breathing process. There is nothing you can say to that. Nothing. That is what happens.

If an intoxicated person held me down and poured beer into my mouth and every 15 seconds - yes I would feel affected.

I don't give a :censored: who smokes. The smoking areas at the stadium were fine by me, save for those who broke the rules and smoked in the seats. My parents smoked (both have cancer) and some of my best friends on the board smoke. I love them all. But for the LOVE OF GOD smokers need to drop their asinine arguments about their smoking not affecting other people and trying to make comparisons to other situations.

I swear nicotine is the leading cause of retardation in this country.

I don't know about football, but I know that the Minnesota Wild let you leave and come back in. They scan your ticket as you leave, showing that you're gone, and then scan it back in when you return.

I have never heard of such a thing... until now!

The only reason I know that is because a vendor took me to a hockey game last year and he had a pair of tickets. We used those to get in, but then found out that his company rented out a suite and that we could probably still get tickets for that, but the Will Call window is outside of the arena... So we asked if we could go talk to them, and they said sure - you can leave anytime as long as we scan your ticket. If there are no tickets available, we can scan you back in. :)

Hey Bill, just drop it because you have NO argument. The argument is that I can't :censored: breathe. It really isn't that hard of a concept. The smoke from YOUR cigarette goes into MY lungs and disrupts the normal breathing process. There is nothing you can say to that. Nothing. That is what happens.

If an intoxicated person held me down and poured beer into my mouth and every 15 seconds - yes I would feel affected.

I don't give a :censored: who smokes. The smoking areas at the stadium were fine by me, save for those who broke the rules and smoked in the seats. My parents smoked (both have cancer) and some of my best friends on the board smoke. I love them all. But for the LOVE OF GOD smokers need to drop their asinine arguments about their smoking not affecting other people and trying to make comparisons to other situations.

The smoking area at RWS is outside, and far away from the seating area. It isn't even around the concession stands. If this affects your breathing, I personally apologise because this is where I smoke.

As for the intox person, they might affect you as well if they drive after the game, throw objects such as batteries (which I have seen), have bloody fights in front of your family members, etc. In short, I think that alcohol at games is a much bigger threat to your immediate, and even long term health than people smoking AWAY from your seats and concession stands.

Someone mentioned grills as well. There are cars around, all with tanks of gasoline. Charcoal fumes are said to be pretty awful too as I recall.

This ban is no different than the city of Boston's recent ban of "sugary" soda on public property. It is P.C. b.s. We are going around the world to promote "freedom" as our rights here wither away and the citizens react like trained seals.

Either way, it would seem to me that we are all entitled to an opinion without being insulted.

The only reason I know that is because a vendor took me to a hockey game last year and he had a pair of tickets. We used those to get in, but then found out that his company rented out a suite and that we could probably still get tickets for that, but the Will Call window is outside of the arena... So we asked if we could go talk to them, and they said sure - you can leave anytime as long as we scan your ticket. If there are no tickets available, we can scan you back in. :)

I've seen a few baseball/hockey arenas doing a quick search. No NFL stadiums so far. Some college football, but all the articles pointed to eliminating the practice.

As a "recovering smoker": This is a really bad idea. Look, it's a horrible vice, we all know that. Active smokers even know that. RWS provided completely segregated areas--that one didn't have to walk through--for smoking.

Couple that with this: There are a lot of people who drink too much at games (which is the main reason I don't go anymore), and I'll bet a fair portion of those also smoke.

So now, we've got a bunch of folks who (1) have been drinking before and at the game, (2) can't smoke, and (3) are in a rowdy atmosphere.

Bad, bad idea.

You know it is funny, I was just about to comment on how I can understand where non-smokers are coming from and then I read your post.

First let me say I am a former smoker myself. About 2 years ago my right lung collapsed (the doctor called it spontaneous pneumothorax) and it required surgery. It was actually unrelated to my smoking habbit what so ever, but it scared the crap out of me and I never smoked again. Now, not everyone is lucky (or unlucky enough) to have something like that happen to make them stop. Most people try to stop because they WANT to. So for all you recovering smokers out there, I know what you are going through.

I was at first hoping this might deter some of the super-drunks from going to the games. I only make 1 game a year from Albany so they never bothered me too much but they seem to be worse and worse every year. Maybe if they can't smoke, they won't come. But you are probably right, they will still come, they will just have less things to do and it will probably not end well. Plus with the parking lot opening 1 hour later, they might be drinking even harder, earlier, and faster.

I have a few beers at the games like everyone else, I used to be a smoker so I can understand how you would feel discriminated against. At the same time though, if you can't resist a cigarette for a couple of hours if you HAVE to...it might be time to get some Chanax... :unsure:

I don't see how this stops you from inhaling cigarette smoke. People lit up in the stands all the time, even though it was banned. This will just make more people do it. These people use the most addictive substance on Earth, and they already flaunt the rules in great number. This just makes that guy who had the courtesy to actually go to the designated area smoke in the stands or bathroom.

The most ironic part, is that you will probably inhale more smoke after this rule than before.

My brother is a smoker and at Toronto Maple Leaf games they scan your ticket and let you go outside for a smoke and then scan it on the way back in. I'm sure many fans don't come back....after all it is the leafs.

I don't see how this stops you from inhaling cigarette smoke. People lit up in the stands all the time, even though it was banned. This will just make more people do it. These people use the most addictive substance on Earth, and they already flaunt the rules in great number. This just makes that guy who had the courtesy to actually go to the designated area smoke in the stands or bathroom.

The most ironic part, is that you will probably inhale more smoke after this rule than before.

Last year in our section, they gave 1 warning and then out you go!

I am a former smoker, so I think I'll weigh in on this...

Back when I did smoke, I can honestly say that I never did so at the games. Why? Lots of reasons, but primarily because (1) I didn't want anyone else to have to deal with my smoke, and (2) despite the fact that I was a pretty heavy smoker, going from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. without a cigarette just wasn't that big of a deal.

Even as a smoker, I felt that fellow smokers needed to understand that smoking is a legal habit, not a right to be protected. I started smoking at 18 years old because I worked at a busy restaurant, and the smokers always got to take breaks because they "needed a smoke". I didn't smoke, so I always had to cover for them. One day, I'd had enough of it, and went to take a break, when my manager told me that I couldn't. When I questioned why others got breaks, I was told "well, they need a smoke", so I grabbed a cigarette out of a fellow employee's hand, and said "yeah? well so do I." Terrible reason to start, but here's the point: you choose to smoke. You do not have to; nothing bad will happen if you miss out on having your hourly or twice-hourly cigarette. Furthermore, establishments do not need to cater to your habit of choice simply out of convenience. You're not handicapped or pregnant.

If smoking is that important to you, you are totally entitled to stay home and watch the game on television. If seeing a game is too important to miss, then suck down your last smoke in line before you enter, then have one ready for the second you leave. Or quit. Or just suck it up and forego your habit for 4 hours.

Count me among those grateful for the smoking ban. If it's too much to bare, don't attend, I can assure you that nobody will miss your contribution to the air.

Edited by thebandit27

I think that is fantastic. No matter how much the smoking areas are segregated, the filth always seems to waft into a non smoking area.

Now they just need to enforce it. Even with the smoking areas, there's always some selfish a-hole smoking in the stands.

I agree that it is the losers who smoked in the seats instead of going outside that utterly ruin everything. In fact, that is probably the real reason for the change. No more excuses like "i thought this WAS a smoking area..."

On the other foot as far as the "filth" as you call it, wafting into non smoking areas, smokers can't control which way the wind blows and you can hardly blame them for that. Most smokers are considerate people. They have no intentions of MAKING you smell the smoke or inhale it second hand and they aren't going to light up where they aren't supposed to or blow it in your face on purpose so I feel bad for those people. A few bad eggs can ruin things for everyone. AT the end of the day, this is probably something that will increase the quality of the game day experience over time. I still think that the excessive drinking is the real problem. People don't realize how stupid they act and can be an actual physical threat to another person depending on how well they can handle their anger after getting sloshed.

i quit smoking using snus. same addiction, healthier, less obnoxious form. smokers now annoy the hell out of me because there is no escape from the smell. never realized how that shite carries.

but we're talking buffalo. i smoked in the pool room at the old pink last time i was home. at the mohawk as well. lots of people smoke. it isn't that hard to have an open air pen someplace. i've never heard of anyone not going to the ralph because of smokers. heard from plenty who won't go because of drunk polacks.

i quit smoking using snus. same addiction, healthier, less obnoxious form. smokers now annoy the hell out of me because there is no escape from the smell. never realized how that shite carries.

but we're talking buffalo. i smoked in the pool room at the old pink last time i was home. at the mohawk as well. lots of people smoke. it isn't that hard to have an open air pen someplace. i've never heard of anyone not going to the ralph because of smokers. heard from plenty who won't go because of drunk polacks.

Haha, first thing I thought of after I quit smoking and my sense of smell "came back" as they say, was how bad the smell of a lit cigarette was. They STINK. When you smoke all the time you get used to the smell and don't notice it but believe me it is a wretched stench to a clean nose.

I used to smoke quite a bit, and quite probably almost 20 years ago (although there have been a few short period of lighting up) in between, and whenever I had a beer I wanted to smoke. Will this effect beer sales? My guess is, the shitter stalls will be full of smoke, and if they really enforce it there will be a small line of people exiting the stadium. I don't smoke now, and haven't in along time, and can't really stand being around smokers anymore, but isn't that the purpose of designated smoking areas?

1. The ban is really a way to crack down on those who smoke in their seats. Having an area to smoke in is tacit approval to smoke in their facility, so those who are rule benders are only slightly bending the old rule. By banning smoking, you are putting more teeth into the policy and making it easier on security.

2. The tailgate hour limits is a bigger deal and will push STHs to the private lots surrounding the stadium.

Nice job.

The smoking area at RWS is outside, and far away from the seating area. It isn't even around the concession stands. If this affects your breathing, I personally apologise because this is where I smoke.

As for the intox person, they might affect you as well if they drive after the game, throw objects such as batteries (which I have seen), have bloody fights in front of your family members, etc. In short, I think that alcohol at games is a much bigger threat to your immediate, and even long term health than people smoking AWAY from your seats and concession stands.

Someone mentioned grills as well. There are cars around, all with tanks of gasoline. Charcoal fumes are said to be pretty awful too as I recall.

This ban is no different than the city of Boston's recent ban of "sugary" soda on public property. It is P.C. b.s. We are going around the world to promote "freedom" as our rights here wither away and the citizens react like trained seals.

Either way, it would seem to me that we are all entitled to an opinion without being insulted.

Got to agree with you Bill. Like I said I am not a smoker but smokers never bothered me in the stadium. They put it outside the concourse pretty much away from everything else. Sure you had 1 or 2 aholes smoking in the seats or outside the designated smoking area but guess what, when you get 70,000 people at one place your going to have that happen. My guess is it will still happen even with the new rules in place.

The lots opened at 8am last year for the poster that thought they opened at 9.

Like I said before.... the biggest mess this creates is the traffic coming into the stadium.

Many people arrive around 9AM as it is. Now you are bottlenecking all the people who come in between 8AM and 9AM in there as well. Abbott road is going to be gridlocked for miles.

don't smoke now, but did for 20 years. This rule sucks.Having said that, I would have just had zero tolerance policy in the bowl or any non designated smoking area's, and I mean ZERO. As others have mentioned, think drunks are bigger problem(and i don't think it's that big a problem), and what, now they are going to use security to chase down a guy sucking down a Red instead of the drunk starting a fight? Are they hiring more security to enforce this?

In terms of fights going up..I can see it. People get cranky when they go 5 hrs with no nicotene and lots o beer in their system

@buffalobills

Buffalo Bills

#Bills Russ Brandon “We have listened to the vast majority of our fans who want to enjoy the game day experience in a smoke-free facility."

I wonder if the Bills can ban the drunken obnoxious idiots too!

I am a former smoker, so I think I'll weigh in on this...

Back when I did smoke, I can honestly say that I never did so at the games. Why? Lots of reasons, but primarily because (1) I didn't want anyone else to have to deal with my smoke, and (2) despite the fact that I was a pretty heavy smoker, going from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. without a cigarette just wasn't that big of a deal.

Even as a smoker, I felt that fellow smokers needed to understand that smoking is a legal habit, not a right to be protected. I started smoking at 18 years old because I worked at a busy restaurant, and the smokers always got to take breaks because they "needed a smoke". I didn't smoke, so I always had to cover for them. One day, I'd had enough of it, and went to take a break, when my manager told me that I couldn't. When I questioned why others got breaks, I was told "well, they need a smoke", so I grabbed a cigarette out of a fellow employee's hand, and said "yeah? well so do I." Terrible reason to start, but here's the point: you choose to smoke. You do not have to; nothing bad will happen if you miss out on having your hourly or twice-hourly cigarette. Furthermore, establishments do not need to cater to your habit of choice simply out of convenience. You're not handicapped or pregnant.

If smoking is that important to you, you are totally entitled to stay home and watch the game on television. If seeing a game is too important to miss, then suck down your last smoke in line before you enter, then have one ready for the second you leave. Or quit. Or just suck it up and forego your habit for 4 hours.

Count me among those grateful for the smoking ban. If it's too much to bare, don't attend, I can assure you that nobody will miss your contribution to the air.

:worthy:

If I read one more post about how our "freedoms" and "rights" are being taken away with respect to smoking bans, I believe I'll :sick:

In the sideline and premium club sections at RWS they do the same thing. We get our ticket scanned anytime we enter and leave, to keep the riff raff out. Since security already scans tickets at the gate to get in the stadium, they could easily scan people out if they wanted to go to the lots to smoke.