Whoever doesn't want a QB at #3 is dillusional

We will not make the playoffs until we find our franchise QB. Its that simple. How many teams in the playoffs this year didnt have their franchise QB? Exactly, NONE! Sure, i would love to have Miller, or Dareus, Peterson, etc...., but they will NOT get us into the playoffs, and more importantly, win the championship. So we draft Miller, and next year we'll have 7 wins instead of 4, and w/o that QB, we will be stuck in mediocrity like the past 11 years! We must take a shot.

It's either Gabbert or Newton, that simple. I much rather prefer Newton, but he will most likely be gone to Carolina. If you want to build the defense, do it from rounds 2-7. The number 3 pick should be focused on getting the franchise QB we've been waiting for such a long time. Fitz is not a franchise QB, and for those who say he is, you are kidding yourself. Sure, i love his toughness, and competitiveness, but he will not get us where we want to be. Draft Gabbert or Newton, and build from there. We must take a shot this year.You Build defense all you want, you can have the best WR's in the league, the best RB, but w/o that franchise guy under centre, we will not hoist the super bowl. This pick is our chance, will we grasp it, or let it slip?

April 28 boys, mark it up!

You can't draft a quarterback for the sake of drafting a quarterback and assume because you drafted him at #3 that he will necessarily become a franchise QB. You have to love the guy. And also, you can't start a condescending post and not take the time to look up the word delusional. Perhaps you were thinking of the word disillusioned. Either way, the more you know...

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhhh yea your right..... Letting them run 500 yards per game and control the clock never letting our QB on the is the perfect approach. Name me Super Bowl Champs with weak D's like ours.

You understand part of the defensive woes was having our offense fail to convert and keep the D off the field?

And it seems more fake draft people are claiming we are taking Von Miller with #3, he's a pass rusher and wont turn the defense into a run stopping machine.

Everybody wants a QB, it's just that some people understand that success doesn't come from blind devoting to the idea that any over-hyped QB taken in the top 5 is going to be a franchise savior.

Some people also understand that you can have Joe Montana as your QB and he's not going to get you anywhere near a Super Bowl as long as you have the league's worst front 7.

You understand part of the defensive woes was having our offense fail to convert and keep the D off the field?

Sure, and you understand that part of the offenses' problem was not getting the ball enough because the awful D can't get off the field. Good teams have to be good everywhere.

Everybody wants a QB, it's just that some people understand that success doesn't come from blind devoting to the idea that any over-hyped QB taken in the top 5 is going to be a franchise savior.

Some people also understand that you can have Joe Montana as your QB and he's not going to get you anywhere near a Super Bowl as long as you have the league's worst front 7.

Sure, and you understand that part of the offenses' problem was not getting the ball enough because the awful D can't get off the field. Good teams have to be good everywhere.

Absolutely, but plenty of other teams had the ball just as much as the Bills O. Some even made the playoffs, NE and IND.

The Bills problems cant be solved with the #3 pick, even if it was the love child of jim kelly and bruce smith combined.

No matter who they pick all the experts on this board, who have not watched one game tape, will complain.

We are going to get a good player at #3 and lets be happy with that.

Absolutely, but plenty of other teams had the ball just as much as the Bills O. Some even made the playoffs, NE and IND.

The Bills problems cant be solved with the #3 pick, even if it was the love child of jim kelly and bruce smith combined.

No matter who they pick all the experts on this board, who have not watched one game tape, will complain.

We are going to get a good player at #3 and lets be happy with that.

Completely agree with that. This is why I shake my head at the idiots who think picking on over-hyped QB is going to suddenly change the franchise.

If the best player was a QB, than fine, pick him. But there are nothing but big question marks at that position, so the logical answer is to take someone who can help improve the front 7. Fitz is good enough until we are presented with the opportunity for someone better.

Hasselback is a Franchise QB? Mark Sanchez didnt perform better than Fitz this year, on a much better team...Flacco was only a little better...on a much better team....oh and they both played 3 more games than fitz...also Cassell had a great year, but do you call him a franchise QB?

“Call something at Auburn that’s a little verbal,” Gruden said, obviously knowing the answer to the question. “What would be a little verbal? Any recollection on that?

Newton: “Um.”

“Gimme something,” Gruden said. “What’s an Auburn play sound like?”

“I mean, you’re putting me on the — on the spot,” Newton said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/jon-gruden-puts-cam-newton-on-the-spot/

The best comment below the article is: "The question now should be does [Newton]have the aptitude to learn the [NFL playcalling] verbiage? One would have to assume the former Blinn Junior College and Sociology major at Auburn will find it a snap ;-]"

Taking a QB just for the sake of taking a QB, especially at 3rd overall, is not a smart move. This is an extremely important pick and I would want Nix and Chan to absolutely believe 100% that the QB they would pick at #3 is going to be a franchise guy. Otherwise, I'd rather them go with a different pick.

This ... no doubt if the franchise guy is there you get him but there are no franchise "locks" in this draft.

Whoever doesn't want a QB at #3 is dillusional-

Dillusional may be putting it a little too nicely. Of course this team isn't going to win until we have a franchise quarterback. We haven't won anything since our last franchise QB retired almost a decade and a half ago. If every year you say, "The quarterbacks in the draft aren't guaranteed to be locks as Pros", but they never are, and if you say this every year you never will get the guy until you take that chance. Anyone who knows even a sprinkling of football, knows Fitz will never be nothing more than a good backup. Are there many other holes on this team that need to be filled to win? Of course there are, but the QB position is the most important on the team, and takes the longest to groom a player out of all the positions.

I agree that you need a franchise qb to win, but it does not mean that you need him RIGHT NOW, regardless of the pool of talent available. The #3 pick should ideally be the best player on your team for years to come. I think Jim Kelly was amazing, but I would argue that he was not the best player on the team. I would give that to Bruce. Anyways, you cannot build a team in one year. You take the best player available with the #3 pick (as long as it fits some long term need for your team). You can't pass up a stud defensive player (when you have glaring defensive needs) to get an average or slightly above average (by NFL standards) QB just cause you NEED a QB eventually. We should wait until next year or even the year after to wait until the QB you draft or get in FA is worth the price you pay. I don't see any of the QBs in this year's draft being a no brainer at #3/ Anyways, just my opinion.

We will not make the playoffs until we find our franchise QB. Its that simple. How many teams in the playoffs this year didnt have their franchise QB? Exactly, NONE! Sure, i would love to have Miller, or Dareus, Peterson, etc...., but they will NOT get us into the playoffs, and more importantly, win the championship. So we draft Miller, and next year we'll have 7 wins instead of 4, and w/o that QB, we will be stuck in mediocrity like the past 11 years! We must take a shot.

It's either Gabbert or Newton, that simple. I much rather prefer Newton, but he will most likely be gone to Carolina. If you want to build the defense, do it from rounds 2-7. The number 3 pick should be focused on getting the franchise QB we've been waiting for such a long time. Fitz is not a franchise QB, and for those who say he is, you are kidding yourself. Sure, i love his toughness, and competitiveness, but he will not get us where we want to be. Draft Gabbert or Newton, and build from there. We must take a shot this year.You Build defense all you want, you can have the best WR's in the league, the best RB, but w/o that franchise guy under centre, we will not hoist the super bowl. This pick is our chance, will we grasp it, or let it slip?

Wow. The delusion is your notion that there is a franchise QB from this draft class.

Hmm I think this guy is dillusional. I really want to bank on Gabbert or Newton. Newton had a (sigular) season. Now if Andrew Luck had come out that would be a different story. Here is my question to you sir? What was a better pick Mario Williams or Reggie Bush? I would have picked Mario, but I guess you would have selected Reggie Bush.

ALL potential draftable players can be busts--its the system setup by the team--that makes the drafted player succeed...

The Bills history of first round choices are already closing in at 90% busts... I say WHO CARES... draft Gabbert---get the D-line help via free agency! This gives us an oppurtunity to draft a qb...might as well roll the dice!

Just a super idea! The Bills have needed offensive and defensive line help since Christ was a midshipman; so let's get a maybe-will-be QB to ride the contoured plastic for a season or two. Get real!

I think Christ had the same job when they had a Franchise QB too... ;)

Just saying... B-)

The good teams that compete for championships for a decade have a monopoly on the elite quarterbacks. This is not rocket surgery. Take a chance, rather than rebuild to 7-9. The goal is to win a championship, right? The way most of you talk, you'd assume our goal is just to not embarrass ourselves.

THAT is embarrassing.

I just had to reply to this, because I love the ring that "rocket surgery" has to it.

Wow. The delusion is your notion that there is a franchise QB from this draft class.

Says the guy who's impartiality can be judged by anyone who can see his avatar... ;)

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Draftable QB's in 2011 who can put up a 73.0 Passer Rating and complete 58% of their Passes in 40 NFL Starts...They don't have to be Franchise QB's to do that much... B-)

Pick a QB and they will need a year or two to develop, if they don't bust. Meanwhile our defense will continue to be the worst in the NFL. Only a complete moron would ignore the defense on the Bills to roll the dice on two iffy QB's. There are QBs to draft every year. Andrew Luck will be available next year. Everyone gets "QB fever" every draft and 60-70% of the QB's hyped never amount to crap.

PTR

Agreed. You have some sure fire defensive studs in this draft so you go there first at number 3. I can see taking one in rd 2, but seeing as there is a real possibility for there to be "first round talent" slipping to the second round because of the dept in the draft at DT/DE I would imagine they are likely to pick for Defense there as well. Besides, if we do reeeeally well drafting this year on defense, we could always trade away the house next year to get the number 1 spot and get Luck. Even though Nix doesn't like trading up and down too much but hey a guy could dream.

We would be in a PERFECT spot to pick a Franchise guy this year. Too bad there isn't really one on the board.

Agreed. You have some sure fire defensive studs in this draft so you go there first at number 3. I can see taking one in rd 2, but seeing as there is a real possibility for there to be "first round talent" slipping to the second round because of the dept in the draft at DT/DE I would imagine they are likely to pick for Defense there as well. Besides, if we do reeeeally well drafting this year on defense, we could always trade away the house next year to get the number 1 spot and get Luck. Even though Nix doesn't like trading up and down too much but hey a guy could dream.

We would be in a PERFECT spot to pick a Franchise guy this year. Too bad there isn't really one on the board.

Show me your "sure fire" Defensive talent and i will show you so called experts saying the opposite. Nothing is sure fire in the draft.

You pick the best player you think has the tools to help your team and coach him the best you can and hope he develops into what you thought he was.

See...I keep reading this type of thing on this Board like it is stated fact...Like some Members on this Board are part of a Pro Scouting Staff and have determined, without question that Newton, Gabbert, or any of the other guys in this Draft can't be a Franchise QB...What we are going to see come Draft Day is that some Teams, maybe even including The Buffalo Bills, will differ with that opinion...I know for an absolute fact that Talent evaluators who have made their living doing so like Mike Mayock, Michael Lombardi, and Charlie Casserly, along with ex NFL QB's like Trent Green, feel that Gabbert is Franchise QB...Newton has his backers who think he's a Franchise guy...Heck PLENTY of evaluators believe that Mallett has HUGE upside and may be the best QB in the lot assuming he's truly matured and works hard...

I'm going to go with the opinions of those who are in the know, then wait to see what happens come April 28th...Because I promise everyone here that there are plenty of Scouts who feel there are Franchise QB's among this lot...And IF the Bills don't think so like some around here, and they turn out being wrong, it's a HUGE...I mean MASSIVE mistake...

Just saying... B-)

If we take a QB in the first round, then this team does not improve and will be vying for the number one pick in the draft next year. Then the Bills will be looking at Stanford QB - Luck for next years pick. Then you have to trade your QB pick Newton or Gabbert for less. I don't see anybody giving the Bills a top five pick next year for either of these players because the rookie contracts will still be high (no rookie pay scale yet) and these two are not worth a top five pick.

Newton and Gabbert are not franchise QB's - too much of a gamble.

Don't take either of these guys. We need a guaranteed starter with the third pick. Not another QB with potential. We've done this for too long to get burned again (Spiller, Losman, Maybin, McCargo). We can't keep drafted players with upside and potential. We need starters.

If we take a QB in the first round, then this team does not improve and will be vying for the number one pick in the draft next year. Then the Bills will be looking at Stanford QB - Luck for next years pick. Then you have to trade your QB pick Newton or Gabbert for less. I don't see anybody giving the Bills a top five pick next year for either of these players because the rookie contracts will still be high (no rookie pay scale yet) and these two are not worth a top five pick.

Don't take either of these guys. We need a guaranteed starter with the third pick. Not another QB with potential. We've done this for too long to get burned again (Spiller, Losman, Maybin, McCargo). We can't keep drafted players with upside and potential. We need starters.

Well if you say so ...

+ 1

I am also guessing we are going to see just how bad McLuvin can be this coming season if he is forced to start.

:blink:

Taking a QB just for the sake of taking a QB, especially at 3rd overall, is not a smart move. This is an extremely important pick and I would want Nix and Chan to absolutely believe 100% that the QB they would pick at #3 is going to be a franchise guy. Otherwise, I'd rather them go with a different pick.

+1.... I'm not anti QB at #3 but no matter who is behind center for the Bills, it won't change the fact that the lines need bigger stronger and better guys on them or else the QB will be running for his life or playing catch-up all game long because we can't protect him or stop the other teams from scoring. If we put a rookie in there this year he'll get destroyed.

We need to get a QB in free agency to back up Fitzy and maybe draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd to groom for the future (Mallett and Kaepernick are my picks), then fill the holes on the lines early (rds 1 thru 4)and the other holes in the later rounds.

Many call Spiller a wasted pick but a big part of the reason he didn't succeed right off last year was the O-line and Chan who admitted himself that he didn't use him properly. We need run-stoppers, pass rushers, and a decent right or left tackle at minimum to make the QB and the team perform much better.

Finally, if Cam is who they want and Carolina passes on him (which I highly doubt), he's the only one who I think would be worth the risk at #3, just because of his pure athleticism. The real question as with any QB is, will he be able to grasp the complicated playbooks\schemes of the NFL in order to have longevity at QB?

BTW it is delusional, not dillusional. It always cracks me up when someone is condescending and can't spell or use proper grammar. For example when people type "your an idiot" instead of "you're an idiot". Get a grasp of the English language before attempting to put others down

BTW it is delusional, not dillusional. It always cracks me up when someone is condescending and can't spell or use proper grammar. For example when people type "your an idiot" instead of "you're an idiot". Get a grasp of the English language before attempting to put others down

How do you know he didn't mean disillusioning

Who is this franchise QB you speak of? Dareous and Miller are can't miss IMO as long as they stay healthy. I cannot say the same about any QB this draft. I am sick of whiffing on our first round picks. Seriously- have we gotten any right the past 15 years besides Nate Clements and Lee Evans?

Lee who?

Nothing is more embarrassing then not being able to stop the run. We are dead last at stopping the run. So lets draft a QB who will sit on their ass for the year or two and we can be last in the NFL again. Lets ignore front 7 help, especially when it is the deepest DL draft possibly ever. Lets ignore are defensive problems, and draft a QB(Newton will be a bust IMO), then we can set our selves up to draft Andrew Luck next year

Not to mention that by the beginning of the 4th Q, the D is gassed, injuries are more likely to occur and they've got to be getting demoralized. Or is that dimoraized?

Anyway, the offense, which is NOT built for quick strikes, now HAS to go for quick strikes. I'm not opposed to pulling the trigger on a franchise QB, but I really don't think this draft has one that stands out. That being said, if Nix doesn't go after a QB in the 1st round, he isn't really going after a franchise QB this year. And I'm okay with that, too.

my worry is if we pass on gabbert and he turns out to be a franchise guy. if we took gabbert and then went all D id be ok with it

+1

I want Newton, not Gabbert but I'm in this boat. Try for the franchise guy with the 3rd pick and then beef up the defense and lines with the rest of the picks. Unless Rudolph falls to us in the 3rd by some crazy circumstance. Or we can get Virgil Green in the late 4th or 5th.

Before you kill me for sayi g Newton over Gabbert, it's because I think Newton has a higher ceiling. And if were gonna gamble on QB in the 1st I want it to be the superior athlete. Newton might bust, but if he booms it's gonna be the biggest boom in Bills history.

Not to mention that by the beginning of the 4th Q, the D is gassed, injuries are more likely to occur and they've got to be getting demoralized. Or is that dimoraized?

Anyway, the offense, which is NOT built for quick strikes, now HAS to go for quick strikes. I'm not opposed to pulling the trigger on a franchise QB, but I really don't think this draft has one that stands out. That being said, if Nix doesn't go after a QB in the 1st round, he isn't really going after a franchise QB this year. And I'm okay with that, too.

There was chirping this past season that The Plan was to bottom out ... so maybe they just stick with The Plan and draft Andrew Luck next year. :devil:

There was chirping this past season that The Plan was to bottom out ... so maybe they just stick with The Plan and draft Andrew Luck next year. :devil:

You may be giving them a bit too much credit, if thou catchest my drift, and I thinketh thou doth. flirt.gif

Says the guy who's impartiality can be judged by anyone who can see his avatar... ;)

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Draftable QB's in 2011 who can put up a 73.0 Passer Rating and complete 58% of their Passes in 40 NFL Starts...They don't have to be Franchise QB's to do that much... B-)

Says the guy that knows that you fix what is broken and not what is not broken. Take your meaningless stats and stick 'em.

So if we pick someone else we won't have the #1 pick next year.

I would like you to tell me where we will pick next year depending on the player we pick.

Why #32 of course.

Edited by Rockinon