Patrick Peterson vs. the double yellowhead

Dexter

The Wonderlic is 50 multiple choice questions, ABCD or e, so if you could teach a parrot to say "A" 50 times, the parrot would score a 10.

Patrick Peterson, via rumors so far, is apparently credited with a 9...

Now, just how much intelligence does it take to play corner in the NFL??

Just ask NO Saint Tracy Porter, the one who ran back Peyton's Super Bowl losing pick two years ago... 'cause Tracy got a 4...

But, heck, if you are considering Drafting players from LSU, they can be very good football players, but don't ask them for help on your math homework...

The Wonderlic is 50 multiple choice questions, ABCD or e, so if you could teach a parrot to say "A" 50 times, the parrot would score a 10.

Just ask NO Saint Tracy Porter, the one who ran back Peyton's Super Bowl losing pick two years ago... 'cause Tracy got a 4...

But, heck, if you are considering Drafting players from LSU, they can be very good football players, but don't ask them for help on your math homework...

What if none of the answers are A?

So, the test always has A as the correct answer 10 times? Who knew?

That parrot has nothing on you, that's for sure.

GO BILLS!!!

Interesting note here. Peterson was a high school player here in So Fla, there was a huge investigation regarding the taking of his SATs. Apparently there was a rumor that he had someone stand in for him. Peterson's birth name is Patrick Johnson. He changed his name as soon as he signed with LSU. He was a hardcore UM recruit and when he realized he would not be able to get in based on his test scores, he immediately dropped UM and went to LSU.

to be fair, you would expect a parrot to get approximately a 12.5 average if he took it a few times.

i mentioned this on the cj spiller thread, but anything single digit you have to seriously question whether or not the person is literate -- and i dont mean that in a mocking or funny way, but that its an actual issue that comes into play.

if he knew the answer to 4-5 questions and guessed the rest, you would be looking at mid teens rather consistently.

Dexter, what makes you think the Wonderlic is multiple choice? ...because that's what it is in Madden? :lol:

The condensed (15 minute WPT) version I took had a few multiple choice questions (e.g. which shape comes next in the series?) but most were not.

I suspect many of the very low scores, especially by players who do much better on later attempts, just reflect the player doesn't care about the test, not necessarily that they are profoundly dim (though I'm sure some are).

to be fair, you would expect a parrot to get approximately a 12.5 average if he took it a few times.

i mentioned this on the cj spiller thread, but anything single digit you have to seriously question whether or not the person is literate -- and i dont mean that in a mocking or funny way, but that its an actual issue that comes into play.

if he knew the answer to 4-5 questions and guessed the rest, you would be looking at mid teens rather consistently.

The OP's example is obviously flawed, but I'm with you---if you get less than 10 on this test, you likely are illiterate or intellectually handicapped.

As if I needed another reason to not want him....

I know it doesnt test football skills, but if you cant get a 15 on the thing you must need help getting dressed in the morning. I mean, how do you expect the guy to learn the playbook when he cant count to 11? Either they didnt study much in school, or they studied and still couldnt learn it. Im not sure which one is worse, but you DO have to study in teh NFL and you BETTER learn what you are studying. I wouldnt touch anyone who did that poorly - I just wouldnt.

The OP's example is obviously flawed, but I'm with you---if you get less than 10 on this test, you likely are illiterate or intellectually handicapped.

Is he? Maybe he just doesn't take tests well. Maybe the test isn't a true indicator of intelligence. He doesn't seem to have any problems

being understood. This is just one interview. There are many more.

Be careful assuming anything about anyone's intelligence based off a test. Just because one gets a good score on a test doesn't necessarily make

them intelligent. Change the subject of the test, change other dynamics of the test maybe they will do better or not as well. Maybe he blew off

the test. Who knows.

Edited by purple haze

Dexter, what makes you think the Wonderlic is multiple choice? ...because that's what it is in Madden? :lol:

The condensed (15 minute WPT) version I took had a few multiple choice questions (e.g. which shape comes next in the series?) but most were not.

I suspect many of the very low scores, especially by players who do much better on later attempts, just reflect the player doesn't care about the test, not necessarily that they are profoundly dim (though I'm sure some are).

one could say they are profoundly dim if they blow it off -- regardless of reason, a single digit score is a pretty solid warning flag

also, the actual test is multiple choice. this we can totally and truthfully confirm for all those wondering.

Edited by NoSaint

Is he? Maybe he just doesn't take tests well. Maybe the test isn't a true indicator of intelligence. He doesn't seem to have any problems

youtube.com/watch?v=FSCkXnqyViw&feature=related

Be careful assuming anything about anyone's intelligence based off a test. Just because one gets a good score on a test doesn't necessarily make

them intelligent. Change the subject of the test, change other dynamics of the test maybe they will do better or not as well. Maybe he blew off

the test. Who knows.

people can be very challenged reading, and still have fine verbal communication. the two are far from exclusive.

this is also an issue that has followed him for quite some time. as one poster already pointed out, there were issues with his SATs and academic eligibility.

from what i know, from former lsu players ive worked with, if you can run fast, you can get a degree from lsu no problem. not implying those former players are dumb, but theyve confirmed many times that players get pushed through without questions (shocker, i know)

last up, if you look at the knocks on his game, it tends to be mental issues. he has all the athleticism in the world to make up for his mistakes, but trust, he does make those mistakes. he is not the type of corner that is a student of the position, and knows the proper footwork to match a receiver step for step with no wasted motion, he is the type that can outrun someone to the ball once he sees it, even if he is out of position. he is not a shut down corner in the sense of not allowing any windows, he is a shutdown corner in the sense of you might get 10 catches on him, but he will take 1 of your 11 throws to the house... dont get me wrong, hes ultra talented, and that is a hugely valuable skill. im just saying that im surprised by a 9, as thats atrocious, but not surprised by a low score in general.

How does this parrot's 40 time compare to Peterson's?

flying, competitive

running, not good.

also, his hands were poor. id say he dropped passes, but in reality passes dropped him.

one could say they are profoundly dim if they blow it off -- regardless of reason, a single digit score is a pretty solid warning flag

also, the actual test is multiple choice. this we can totally and truthfully confirm for all those wondering.

You have 12 minutes to do 50 questions. Someone could easily only complete 15-20 questions in that time. So is 9/18 really that bad, simply because they report it as 9/50?

the test. Who knows.

I agree, I have seen other interviews with Peterson and he does not come across as someone

who is extremely dumb.

Yeah, Patrick Peterson has no red flags at all. So what if he isn't classroom smart. His classroom was in the athletic department, and he is a high character, top caliber CB prospect.

I'd be much more worried about what he looks like in cold weather, since I don't know if he's ever played in cold weather...

But for bashing LSU for having dumb players, it is FODDER and FUN...

You have 12 minutes to do 50 questions. Someone could easily only complete 15-20 questions in that time. So is 9/18 really that bad, simply because they report it as 9/50?

Quite frankly the only excuse for that is if his agent didn't tell him "hey- with a minute left if you have 35 blank your better off bubbling in randoms then you are trying to read question 15." and yes, 9 out of 18 on this test even without guesses is a warning flag. There are a lot of beyond easy questions on it. Doesn't mean he's dumb but something is wrong and as a GM it's now your job to figure out what, and if it's either correctable or will effect play.

Also, the issue with testing follows Peterson back to his highschool days and becoming eligible. This isn't a one time- "oh maybe he didn't understand the test" problem.

as I have been saying (and you've seen it mentioned in some scouting reports both indirectly early and directly lately) he doesn't play particularly smart, he plays like a kid who is just faster than everyone else, not a kid that understands the intricacies of the game particularly well. I think he gets the big picture stuff but still for all those saying no knocks or question marks... The evidence continues to build on the space between his ears being questionable.

As for the interviews- he does speak pretty well for a college kid. I will definitely give him that. It's possible he is smart but has a literacy issue/basic learning disorder that makes processing a written test tough for him but doesn't effect him verbally or football-wise. I've never heard him say anything profoundly insightful, but that doesn't mean he has no insight. I can't recall any big head scratchers. I also would express in these interviews that charisma and intelligence aren't the same thing. Both great assets, but not the same thing.

Last up - his favorite team is the cowboys. I don't know about you guys, but I can't remember a smart cowboy fan. That's only anecdotal but still :)

Edited by NoSaint

the test. Who knows.

Getting a 40 or higher on that test is probably a sign of some higher intelligence. If he "blew off" a test that may have some impact as to where he is drafted and therefore how much money he makes, then he is truly dumb.

Some quotes on him --

"Peterson plays like a low-test guy," one NFL decision maker told PFW on the condition he remain anonymous, "but (if) he's in 'cat' (man-to-man) coverage in the NFL, it's not as big of an issue as it will be for offensive guys."

"He's a press corner," another longtime evaluator said. "His strong suit is that he can run and press. He won't play for the Patriots, where he's disguising coverage after coverage, but I still think he can be a No. 1 shutdown corner."

A scout with deep knowledge of the kid said, "The more I'm around him, the more I love him even more. I love the kid, and I love the talent. But I don't like the way he plays with his back to the ball. He has an instinct issue, and I think it's tied to his mental (ability). He can only handle so much. He's not a quick processor. It's a scary year to be drafting in the top 10 because they all have some issue."

Some quotes on him --

"Peterson plays like a low-test guy," one NFL decision maker told PFW on the condition he remain anonymous, "but (if) he's in 'cat' (man-to-man) coverage in the NFL, it's not as big of an issue as it will be for offensive guys."

"He's a press corner," another longtime evaluator said. "His strong suit is that he can run and press. He won't play for the Patriots, where he's disguising coverage after coverage, but I still think he can be a No. 1 shutdown corner."

A scout with deep knowledge of the kid said, "The more I'm around him, the more I love him even more. I love the kid, and I love the talent. But I don't like the way he plays with his back to the ball. He has an instinct issue, and I think it's tied to his mental (ability). He can only handle so much. He's not a quick processor. It's a scary year to be drafting in the top 10 because they all have some issue."

Bills will draft him and try to turn him into a safety , would that be special as we try and oiutsmart everyone again???

Didn't Marino get a 16 and McNabb a 14?

They had decent careers.

McNabb i'm not sure about, but both Marino and our own Jim Kelly got 15's. take it for what it's worth, i personally don't put too much stock in the wonderlic, the number of great players with relatively low scores just doesn't support it

It's not multiple choice.

Similar to other standardized tests, the Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test presents its questions in an open response format with increasing difficulty. For example, a simple question may ask a participant to observe a set of words, and select one that is irrelevant to the others. In addition, the test may require one to solve a word problem by utilizing various algebraic and geometric techniques.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

McNabb i'm not sure about, but both Marino and our own Jim Kelly got 15's. take it for what it's worth, i personally don't put too much stock in the wonderlic, the number of great players with relatively low scores just doesn't support it

What it supports is an

INVERSE CORRELATION

between FOOTBALL and INTELLIGENCE...