Pat Williams looking for a place to play

Letting Phat Pat walk without even a legitimate contract offer after the 2005 season was one of the Bills biggest blunder in the last 10 years. With that said we should've retained him 6 years ago. At this point he's pretty much finished, and if he decides he's got another year to make a run, he sure as hell won't choose the Bills. I hated when Pat left, and looking back at it I hate it even more. A huge blunder on Donahoe's part, of course you'd never hear that from his pal Chris Mortensen.

Edited by Estro

Letting Phat Pat walk without even a legitimate contract offer after the 2005 season was one of the Bills biggest blunder in the last 10 years. With that said we should've retained him 6 years ago. At this point he's pretty much finished, and if he decides he's got another year to make a run, he sure as hell won't choose the Bills. I hated when Pat left, and looking back at it I hate it even more. A huge blunder on Donahoe's part, of course you'd never hear that from his pal Chris Mortensen.

Let's shoot it straight here- did you really think pat would be the oldest defensive player in the league? Reason said he had like 2 years left as a 350 lbs man at what was he 32? 33?

Not saying he shouldn't have been retained, but not nearly as obvious as most make it sound.

Edited by NoSaint

We need a new identity, i`m tired of other teams leftovers. Its time to draft some new blood. Bowers and Phil Taylor would be a great start

throw in Casey Matthews in the 4th

I used to love me some Williams and Ted Washington wall, when it was a short yardage situation, u just knew we where gonna blow it up

I swear to god, at the time Williams was cut, the overwhelming sentiment here, on TSW, was "he barely plays", "we won't miss his phat ass", etc etc etc...one of the stalwarts that used to post here, even went and tracked Williams every move on the field, his last season, and proclaimed that "he only plays on 1/3 of the plays"...I swear, I was the lone man (or one of the very few) who said letting him go was a huge mistake, at the time...hindsight is always 20/20 they say...he didn't fit the Bills scheme anymore (if you recall, the Bills were shifting their defense to small, poor tackling players at the time!)...so we let him go...

I think the Bills, with Pat Williams and Ted Washington on the roster, had one of the best run defenses I have ever seen...

He's done, I don't even see him in a role backing up Troupe.

If we're going to take a flyer on a vet NT, then it should be Shaun Rogers.

How you figure?

I swear to god, at the time Williams was cut, the overwhelming sentiment here, on TSW, was "he barely plays", "we won't miss his phat ass", etc etc etc...one of the stalwarts that used to post here, even went and tracked Williams every move on the field, his last season, and proclaimed that "he only plays on 1/3 of the plays"...I swear, I was the lone man (or one of the very few) who said letting him go was a huge mistake, at the time...hindsight is always 20/20 they say...he didn't fit the Bills scheme anymore (if you recall, the Bills were shifting their defense to small, poor tackling players at the time!)...so we let him go...

I think I might have been one of the stupid f...... who believed in Pizza man Anderson. I will forever live in shame about it.

I think the Bills, with Pat Williams and Ted Washington on the roster, had one of the best run defenses I have ever seen...

How you figure?

He'll be 39 this season, his production plummeted last year, I watched some Vikes games and he wasn't effective and the team with the best view on him just said "no thanks."

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Let's shoot it straight here- did you really think pat would be the oldest defensive player in the league? Reason said he had like 2 years left as a 350 lbs man at what was he 32? 33?

Not saying he shouldn't have been retained, but not nearly as obvious as most make it sound.

With him we had a solid run defense and he was still performing at a high level. Add in the fact that he wanted to stay inBbuffalo and siad he was willing to take a home team discount to stay put. It was a big mistake, but I understand your point, he was uo there in age even 6 years ago.

At this pont with where the Bills are as a team, Pat Williams would make little sense.

How you figure?

I was there with you Buff.....at the time were we having to decide between Pat and Eric Moulds......I said right there....I think we are going to regret this.

and I dont think anybody will be able to convince me that Pat WIlliams would not make a great backup D Linemen on this team.....rotating in and out with the big fatties

He'll be 39 this season, his production plummeted last year, I watched some Vikes games and he wasn't effective and the team with the best view on him just said "no thanks."

Sadly I have to agree that Fat Pats best years are behind him by far. While I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bills uni as a back up NT I just don't see it happening. He is at best a role player and even than the playing time might be better used elsewhere.

First, Pat was not CUT. He was an FA and Donodud simply low balled him and he went elsewhere. Secondly, far more folks here wanted him to stay. Nice attempt at revisionist, inaccurate history., not............

Some perspective will help.

Pat Williams became a good/excellent player when he played along with Washington. He had a average two seasons as a Bills player. In Minnesota he was paired with Kevin Williams and went on to have a good career. He was neutralized when he was the only weapon, something he never had to do in Minnesota by himself. He is definitely not in the same category as a Casey Hampton who can anchor the DL.

Having said that, the Bills still let a talent get away especially for the price the Vikings paid him at that time.

He's done, I don't even see him in a role backing up Troupe.

If we're going to take a flyer on a vet NT, then it should be Shaun Rogers.

Not really. He's not the same player he was 3 years ago, but then again, who is. He still gets it done. We'll never have to worry about him coming back to the Bills because he's already stated he wants to go after a ring in the next season or two before he hangs em up for good.

First, Pat was not CUT. He was an FA and Donodud simply low balled him and he went elsewhere. Secondly, far more folks here wanted him to stay. Nice attempt at revisionist, inaccurate history., not............

Okay, my bad, you are right, he wasn't cut, just not re-signed...but since you are being so nit-picky, you are saying (by adding "not") that my recollection is accurate...thanks!

As for the rest, I remember it well...there was a huge thread on the subject...Mark IV (a legendary poster here, a great guy, but wrong on this subject) started it...and most everyone seemed to agree that Williams had to go...if you were one of the handful who thought this was a bad move, congrats...

your post makes no sense and is not factual.

he played great in Minny.

one of the first things Marv said when he got here was that letting pat go was a big mistake and we havent been able to stop the run since he did leave.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillPa20.htm

Yeah that didn't sound right in the article either so I looked it up. He actually left after the 2004 season. I would've thought he left a year earlier than that.

I completely disagree, I thought it was an obviously bad move at the time! He wasn't showing signs of slowing down, he wasn't going to demand outragous money, and there wasn't a young protege waiting in the wings to take over for him. There was no good reason not to re-sign him. It was a horrible nonmove!

It was one of the organizations biggest mistakes over recent memory, not signing him, especially as much as he wanted to stay here. That said, he is the oldest defensive player in the league, and at that size, that is a big deal, not to mention he is a 4-3 DT, which we are a 3-4 defensive team (and it worked so well last year), and the biggest problem-he wants to go to a team who has a chance of winning-ain't happening here for awhile, if ever while Ralph is around.

I have a soft place in my heart for Pat and probably will be flamed for saying this, but I would at least bring him in to meet with him. If he can still play 10-20 downs a game or in critical short yardage situations and we can sign him for a reasonable amount, I would not be disappointed. He could be a great mentor for some of our young guys.

One thing to consider is that I presume that he is going to have to serve his suspension now. That probably will factor into all of this.

In the end, I do not expect the Bills to sign him though. I do wish that he had played for the Bills these past several years. Letting him leave was one of the worst decisions the Bills ever made. Not only was he good, he loved playing for the Bills and living in Buffalo.

Okay, my bad, you are right, he wasn't cut, just not re-signed...but since you are being so nit-picky, you are saying (by adding "not") that my recollection is accurate...thanks!

As for the rest, I remember it well...there was a huge thread on the subject...Mark IV (a legendary poster here, a great guy, but wrong on this subject) started it...and most everyone seemed to agree that Williams had to go...if you were one of the handful who thought this was a bad move, congrats...

I wasn't alone in not being happy he signed with the Vikes. Final nit-pick, the Bills (Donodud) made an offer, but it too little too late. It wasn't a simple "just not re-signed". Donodud thought he was smarter than everyone else and simply lowballed Pat, and then acted surprised that Pat walked.

I think the Pats might bring him in :P

Wouldn't mind bringing him back to add REAL depth to the line.

If he has ANYTHING left in the tank, I'd say bring him in. We need all the help on that line we can get...

I think Pat would really help upgrade our line and would love to have him back. He's obviously nothing like a long term solution to our run D, but I think he'd really help this year. I saw a number of Vikings games and watched him. While he may be slipping a bit I think he's better than all but KW on our team. If he'd come here for reasonable salary, I think this is a good addition, at least for one year.

Does Pat (and Kevin) still have that Starcaps suspension hanging over his head?